Rebel Heart or Confessions on a Dance Floor?

COADF is a career defining masterpiece. Rebel Heart has nothing on it.

RH is a revitalising artistic comeback after ten clueless years, but it is not the destined-to-be classic that COADF is. I think Madsder herself would agree with me – she has not made it a secret that RH is not what she wanted it to be.

Wonder what the album would have sounded like if her original plans to have the entire thing produced by Disclosure came to fruition...

i just feel like rebel heart has better songwriting and more soul.. but confessions is more cohesive. in a way, confessions is a bit simpler.. jump & forbidden love.. nice production and vocals but it's simple pop in a way. lyrically. rebel heart feels like it has more depth. to me anyway.

she should've never gotten bitch I'm madonna, unapologetic bitch, sex, and holy water on rebel heart. in a way, rebel heart could've been her best album since ray of light if she just removed a few songs and maybe edited/mastered a few things. that said, no matter how perfect rebel heart could've been (or is), some people would still see it as weak because it's not charting well. i think even ray of light would've "flopped" right now.

wash all over me & devil pray are some of my favourite songs she's ever made. i only love Isaac as much as those. her performance of devil pray when she puts her arms up during the slowed up vocals on the italian show... it's everything. :p

should've been on an EP or maybe fitted on MDNA, it really lowers the quality of the album as a whole.

but anyway, i don't wanna go off topic.

No, just no. The BITCH AND SEX songs add colors and spices to the album. Something that the cohesive (this damn word is starting to grate on my nerves!) COADF LACKS.

Confessions from me too, although if RH was as she wanted it to be with a real 2 disk set and proper tracklist I might have a different view. Love them both. RH has some of her best songs ever.

i just feel like rebel heart has better songwriting and more soul.. but confessions is more cohesive. in a way, confessions is a bit simpler.. jump & forbidden love.. nice production and vocals but it's simple pop in a way. lyrically. rebel heart feels like it has more depth. to me anyway.

she should've never gotten bitch I'm madonna, unapologetic bitch, sex, and holy water on rebel heart. in a way, rebel heart could've been her best album since ray of light if she just removed a few songs and maybe edited/mastered a few things. that said, no matter how perfect rebel heart could've been (or is), some people would still see it as weak because it's not charting well. i think even ray of light would've "flopped" right now.

wash all over me & devil pray are some of my favourite songs she's ever made. i only love Isaac as much as those. her performance of devil pray when she puts her arms up during the slowed up vocals on the italian show... it's everything. :p

The project would not be named Rebel Heart without all the bad bitch songs....That's basically 50% of the entire concept

Sorry but I love the sex songs, they bring the fun element to the album

Confessions is a masterpiece in terms of production but it is a little monotone and Madonna's vocals sound too buried into the music. Rebel Heart is more diverse and melodic and has some of the most soulfull Madonna vocals ever (she sounds sad, happy, upset or bitchy depending on the song) so I prefer Rebel Heart.

The project would not be named Rebel Heart without all the bad bitch songs....That's basically 50% of the entire concept

but she can do rebel songs so much better than sex, bitch, and holy water. listen to devil pray: now that is rebellious!

but she can do rebel songs so much better than sex, bitch, and holy water. listen to devil pray: now that is rebellious!

I don't think the bitch songs are any worse than Devil Pray. Holy Water is fucking epic too. Each to their own I guess.

Guest Rocco Papa

That's something I said in my review (not because it's something many reviewers have said, I actually wasn't even aware of that), but because it's how I truly feel. I don't think Hard Candy or MDNA were on the same level as Confessions, but Rebel Heart is. The material is strong enough (something MDNA wasn't) and Madonna's identity shines through (a spotlight it felt like she was sharing with Pharrell and Timbaland on Hard Candy).

At this point, I can't say which album I like better. Rebel Heart hasn't been out long enough yet. I will say that Rebel Heart is on the same level as Confessions for me, but I can't choose one over the other.

Confessions still is the masterpiece of the 00s Madonna! From start to finish its incredible! It tells a story, it takes you on a journey! The vibe of the Confessions era is probably one of the most cohesive of her entire career! Rebel Heart is a diverse album, amazing lyrics but it consist more of stand alone songs! A great album full of sounds and messages! It still lacks the flow that Confessions has.

Confessions and American Life are the two albums I never skip a track. Pure perfection!

I skip some Rebel Heart songs (the bitchy and silly songs)... But that still leaves 11 to 12 songs of perfection, the same amount as Confessions and American Life! So I would say it's a tie between these 3 albums!

Confessions + American Life + Rebel Heart = LIFE :inlove:

Rebel Heart >>> COADF

I feel like Rebel Heart is the album we should have got after American Life.

I agree, but it's Madonna we're talking about, kinda always ahead of the times, even if her new sound isn't as innovative as in the past. For example, Hard Candy could have done so much better in terms of appreciation if it had been released during the Blurred Lines/Get Lucky/Happy Pharrel's eras. Confessions could have slayed Lady Gaga's Fame and Fame Monster releases during 2008-2009 cause COADF songs are based on timeless old songs. MDNA should have been released in 2010 cause Benny Benassi was doing the same GGW music and it was cool back then. So there you are guys, the problem with Madonna's latest records has been their bad timing, same as with the singles :D

Edited by mafalda