MadonnaNation Rebel Heart Reviews & Score

I was just thinking that since we have all been able to digest the album for a while now, maybe we should have a thread with our own fan reviews of Rebel Heart the album as a whole. Then I started thinking, just because I love games so much, I thought we could each give the album an overall numerical rating and determine our very own Rebel Heart Metacritic score! There have been a lot of positive reviews this time out but I am still so tired of the ones that attack her from a personal standpoint, compare her to other artists unfairly, contain factual errors, or simply don't concentrate on what should matter the most in an album review-the music.

So, you can do this any way you choose. You can do a track-by-track review or a review with just highlights of certain songs. You can do a very long in-depth review or a very brief review with your overall feelings on the album. Whatever you decide, just make sure to be honest and give the album a numerical rating between

1-100. We'll give everyone who wants to participate a couple of weeks to get their reviews and scores in and then we'll average them for an overall rating for the album based on our reviews-the fans.

What do you think? Are you with me? I know there are some really great writers here and people with very strong opinions so let your voice be heard about this amazing album we have been graced with. If this works out well, maybe we could go back and do this for all of her studio albums.

Can't wait to post mine - even I I end up being the only one (but hopefully not!) :lol:

I guess this thread will have few anwers because people have already ranked the songs, commented them... But i havent' done it, so I will do it here.

Between 1 and 100 I would give 90.

For me, the album is about her voice, her beautiful melodies and the excellent mix of the rebel and the heart. I love that she was on point when she dared with "shocking" songs, something that she has done wonderfully all her career but failed in albums like MDNA, for example. Madonna has always been a mix of fun and thought, and this time she did it perfectly. Standout tracks are difficult to highlight, because the rebel and the heart are so intertwined that it's easy to go for the rebel ones or the heart ones depending on the day you are having.

Song by song:

1. Living for Love: one of her best lead singles, captures the magic of old-school Madonna with the mature insight of the meaning. It has the power of her voice, the great production and the drama. 10/10

2. Devil Pray: one of the best crafted songs ever released by Madonna. It's a song that could have fit perfectly in AL, that album that explained the problems of postmodern society, and this time she did the same, without sounding preachy. Great production. 10/10

3. Ghosttown: you have to go back many years to remember a Madonna ballad with such power, simplicity and great. Love the lyrics, the apocalyptic theme, her voice... 10/10

4. Unapologetic Bitch. Those of us who have grown up with Madonna celebrate her fun/wild/wtf songs, because all her albums had at least a couple of crazy and sometimes absurd songs that casual fans hate. This song really gives fresh air to an album that would have been too dense if followed just the 'heart' route. Great vibe, on point lyrics. 9/10

5. Illuminati. One of my fav songs in the album. It really captivates me. The production is really good, it really marks the three parts that build the song: rap/chorus/second chorus. 10/10

6. Bitch I'm Madonna. Another crazy and wild song that some fans don't warm to because they are too used to a tamed Madonna (my opinion, of course). Gives the opportunity to breath, get crazy and sing along. Isn't it what part of Madonna songs are all about? 8/10

7. Hold Tight. Another old-school Madonna song that reminds at parts to the 80s style in terms of melody and harmonies. Maybe because it comes after a very loud track or because Madonna could have give more relevance to her voice, it does sound a bit flat in my opinion, and the song is far from being a standout track, even though it was very promising. The safe production doesn't help either. 6/10

8. Joan of Arch. Gorgeous song that goes farther to know the intimate Madonna, the one that looks for solace in love when the world is too much for her. Love the production of the album version because it gives the playful feeling you have when you get home sad or depressed and somebody you love lifts you up again. 10/10

9. Iconic. The production is very good. One very good thing about this album is that the production is trendy but different from other songs out there, it doesn't seem to follow any other path, something refreshing after HC and MDNA. A Madonna album without a song that urges you to stand up and fight, to go out from the corner, to shing bright, wouldn't be a Madonna album. So i love this song. 9/10

10. Heartbreak City. It's been many years since Madonna delivered a ballad with such emotion. Not only the melody is beautiful, the words are great, the atmosphere is so incredible, with those drums. Love it 10/10

11. Body Shop. I loved this song since i heard the demo. It's so playful, so incredibly sweet, so full of little things to discover. For me it's a sinonym of JOY, I feel joy whenever i listen to it and end up either singing along or dancing at home or moving my feet if i'm at work. It's a very especial song because it's a territory that Madonna did'n't have explored until now. 10/10

12. Holy Water. I like the song because it reminds me to the Erotica era. But for me it's not as good as the other tracks in the album. It does give another moment to breath again, though, and be a bit silly and sing that "bitch get off my pole" with her. The Vogue part is the best and worst at the same time. The best because it really builts up there and gives momentum, the worst because you realize that the momentum has been given by a 25 year old track. 5/10

13. Inside Out. I love it every time that Madonna mentions in this album the scars, the damage we get through life, and how we should accept our scars, and accept others scars. Love it too that she focus atention on loving from the inside. The melody is great, love the song, a lot. 9/10

14. Wash All Over Me. Maybe if the vocal take would have been different, i would be as crazy for the demo as the others. But the demo left me so cold, because it sounded like a very tacky remix IMO. So i was glad that we got the accoustic version. This song closes the standard edition, the first that i got, and i really was so touched when the album ended with this song, it did gave the song another dimension. The lyrics, melody, and that fact makes me give the song a ten. 10/10

15. Best Night. A grower indeed, it has gone from a regular track (i focused on the other beautiful tracks) and nowadays is the song I play the most. I love the first demo, the one that starts with that "Champagne, caviar...", because it sounded so sad, as if Madonnawas desperate to impress the other, to give the best night so that person doesn't leave her. The album version has other lyrics, other vocal take (or course) and suddenly is not sad, but very very sensual. The chorus is so much better too. Love it and I hope it's a single with Drake as featuring. 10/10

16. Veni Vidi Vici. A good track, but not as good as the others. Only fans will celebrate the lyrics. The chorus is the best part, in my opinion. But it's not a song that really makes me stand up. 6/10

17. S.E.X. Madonna as her best. Love the song, so playful, so great. The final 'rap' with the grilzz is so great, i love it. 10/10

18. Messiah. Since the demo was leaked, i was obsessed with this track, the line "till you wake up and you find that you love me too" is so beautiful and those of us who have suffered from a broken heart know what it is to feel so powerless and unable to make the other people love us again. Is such a great song. 10/10

19. Rebel Heart. After listening to the album, I understood why Madonna choose this accoustic version of Rebel Heart. It's a fantastic album closer, serene but powerful, far away from the other version, that could have been a good opener and first single. But I like this version too. 10/10.

20. Beautiful Scars. Again, the beautiful scars and the fact we have to love each other as we are. Love the message. The album version is so sweet, exudes happiness and love it. 9/10

21. Borrowed Time. Great song. Don't know why it was left to the Superdelux, though, because it has everything to be in the standard version or deluxe version. One of my favs, although maybe it lacks a bit of ooomph to be perfect. 8/10

22. Addicted. This is another good song, the only that kept the Avicii shynths. I guess it's in the second CD because the production doesn't fit with the other songs. This will be great on tour. 9/10

23. Graffiti Heart. Good song, but doesn't stand out imo. Or maybe it's so far away from the beginning that i haven't understood it completely. Maybe in 2 months time i will rave about it. I love the message a lot, though, the scars, the damage from life, the fact that it's beautiful and has to be celebrated instead of hide it. 8/10

Love this idea! Pin this thread! Our voice is as important if not more than music critics'. Why not immortalize our collective score?

Will be back... (Not as thoroughly as Karb though!)

I guess this thread will have few anwers because people have already ranked the songs, commented them... But i havent' done it, so I will do it here.

Between 1 and 100 I would give 90.

For me, the album is about her voice, her beautiful melodies and the excellent mix of the rebel and the heart. I love that she was on point when she dared with "shocking" songs, something that she has done wonderfully all her career but failed in albums like MDNA, for example. Madonna has always been a mix of fun and thought, and this time she did it perfectly. Standout tracks are difficult to highlight, because the rebel and the heart are so intertwined that it's easy to go for the rebel ones or the heart ones depending on the day you are having.

Song by song:

1. Living for Love: one of her best lead singles, captures the magic of old-school Madonna with the mature insight of the meaning. It has the power of her voice, the great production and the drama. 10/10

2. Devil Pray: one of the best crafted songs ever released by Madonna. It's a song that could have fit perfectly in AL, that album that explained the problems of postmodern society, and this time she did the same, without sounding preachy. Great production. 10/10

3. Ghosttown: you have to go back many years to remember a Madonna ballad with such power, simplicity and great. Love the lyrics, the apocalyptic theme, her voice... 10/10

4. Unapologetic Bitch. Those of us who have grown up with Madonna celebrate her fun/wild/wtf songs, because all her albums had at least a couple of crazy and sometimes absurd songs that casual fans hate. This song really gives fresh air to an album that would have been too dense if followed just the 'heart' route. Great vibe, on point lyrics. 9/10

5. Illuminati. One of my fav songs in the album. It really captivates me. The production is really good, it really marks the three parts that build the song: rap/chorus/second chorus. 10/10

6. Bitch I'm Madonna. Another crazy and wild song that some fans don't warm to because they are too used to a tamed Madonna (my opinion, of course). Gives the opportunity to breath, get crazy and sing along. Isn't it what part of Madonna songs are all about? 8/10

7. Hold Tight. Another old-school Madonna song that reminds at parts to the 80s style in terms of melody and harmonies. Maybe because it comes after a very loud track or because Madonna could have give more relevance to her voice, it does sound a bit flat in my opinion, and the song is far from being a standout track, even though it was very promising. The safe production doesn't help either. 6/10

8. Joan of Arch. Gorgeous song that goes farther to know the intimate Madonna, the one that looks for solace in love when the world is too much for her. Love the production of the album version because it gives the playful feeling you have when you get home sad or depressed and somebody you love lifts you up again. 10/10

9. Iconic. The production is very good. One very good thing about this album is that the production is trendy but different from other songs out there, it doesn't seem to follow any other path, something refreshing after HC and MDNA. A Madonna album without a song that urges you to stand up and fight, to go out from the corner, to shing bright, wouldn't be a Madonna album. So i love this song. 9/10

10. Heartbreak City. It's been many years since Madonna delivered a ballad with such emotion. Not only the melody is beautiful, the words are great, the atmosphere is so incredible, with those drums. Love it 10/10

11. Body Shop. I loved this song since i heard the demo. It's so playful, so incredibly sweet, so full of little things to discover. For me it's a sinonym of JOY, I feel joy whenever i listen to it and end up either singing along or dancing at home or moving my feet if i'm at work. It's a very especial song because it's a territory that Madonna did'n't have explored until now. 10/10

12. Holy Water. I like the song because it reminds me to the Erotica era. But for me it's not as good as the other tracks in the album. It does give another moment to breath again, though, and be a bit silly and sing that "bitch get off my pole" with her. The Vogue part is the best and worst at the same time. The best because it really builts up there and gives momentum, the worst because you realize that the momentum has been given by a 25 year old track. 5/10

13. Inside Out. I love it every time that Madonna mentions in this album the scars, the damage we get through life, and how we should accept our scars, and accept others scars. Love it too that she focus atention on loving from the inside. The melody is great, love the song, a lot. 9/10

14. Wash All Over Me. Maybe if the vocal take would have been different, i would be as crazy for the demo as the others. But the demo left me so cold, because it sounded like a very tacky remix IMO. So i was glad that we got the accoustic version. This song closes the standard edition, the first that i got, and i really was so touched when the album ended with this song, it did gave the song another dimension. The lyrics, melody, and that fact makes me give the song a ten. 10/10

15. Best Night. A grower indeed, it has gone from a regular track (i focused on the other beautiful tracks) and nowadays is the song I play the most. I love the first demo, the one that starts with that "Champagne, caviar...", because it sounded so sad, as if Madonnawas desperate to impress the other, to give the best night so that person doesn't leave her. The album version has other lyrics, other vocal take (or course) and suddenly is not sad, but very very sensual. The chorus is so much better too. Love it and I hope it's a single with Drake as featuring. 10/10

16. Veni Vidi Vici. A good track, but not as good as the others. Only fans will celebrate the lyrics. The chorus is the best part, in my opinion. But it's not a song that really makes me stand up. 6/10

17. S.E.X. Madonna as her best. Love the song, so playful, so great. The final 'rap' with the grilzz is so great, i love it. 10/10

18. Messiah. Since the demo was leaked, i was obsessed with this track, the line "till you wake up and you find that you love me too" is so beautiful and those of us who have suffered from a broken heart know what it is to feel so powerless and unable to make the other people love us again. Is such a great song. 10/10

19. Rebel Heart. After listening to the album, I understood why Madonna choose this accoustic version of Rebel Heart. It's a fantastic album closer, serene but powerful, far away from the other version, that could have been a good opener and first single. But I like this version too. 10/10.

20. Beautiful Scars. Again, the beautiful scars and the fact we have to love each other as we are. Love the message. The album version is so sweet, exudes happiness and love it. 9/10

21. Borrowed Time. Great song. Don't know why it was left to the Superdelux, though, because it has everything to be in the standard version or deluxe version. One of my favs, although maybe it lacks a bit of ooomph to be perfect. 8/10

22. Addicted. This is another good song, the only that kept the Avicii shynths. I guess it's in the second CD because the production doesn't fit with the other songs. This will be great on tour. 9/10

23. Graffiti Heart. Good song, but doesn't stand out imo. Or maybe it's so far away from the beginning that i haven't understood it completely. Maybe in 2 months time i will rave about it. I love the message a lot, though, the scars, the damage from life, the fact that it's beautiful and has to be celebrated instead of hide it. 8/10

Thanks for being the first brave soul Karbatal! Loved reading your comments.

I just wanted to add that if you have already reviewed the album elsewhere - you can just cut and paste your review here and give a score or even just post a score if you don't want to write out a whole review but I do enjoy reading other fans comments :)

^ I am going to take this opportunity to be professional about it. I am truthful in what I say about the album and the songs when talking about my personal experience and what I enjoy but a critic should step back and not let anything influence their opinion other then the work before them.

I adore her and her work so it's going to be difficult and I am not going to say I dislike something just to throw a criticism in there. I'm going to attempt to educate myself a bit before I write my review.

Being a fan on a forum giving an opinion and getting paid to do a job reviewing music are two different things. There are a lot of "writers" out there that need to be reminded of that.

How long do we have Stephen?

Sounds good, but I hope people don't come mentioning the demos that much. Just damn stick to the album versions u people!

thanks

Living For Love: Throwback to early 90s Madonna. An extension of Deeper and Deeper and Rescue Me with a dash of LAP. Great pre-chorus! Her full palate of vocal styles on display here. Catchy and inspiring.

Devil Pray: Reminds me of the Music and American Life eras while also being something different for her. Full, clear vocals and thoughtful lyrics. Wonderful production work.

Ghosttown: Reminds me of the classic Madonna ballad era of 1992-1995. I love her lower range, Karen Carpenter vocals. Anthemic chorus, lovely bridge, but the verses are my favorite part.

Unapologetic Bitch: A new sound for Madonna, with a great vocal melody and amazing kiss off lyrics. Fun and sassy.

Illuminati: One dark, industrial club banger with a great rap from M.

Bitch I'm Madonna: I enjoy all of Madonna's collaborations with Nicki. This is a fun, sassy song taking ownership of her name.

Hold Tight: An inspirational mid-tempo number with one of her most glorious bridges.

Joan of Arc: One of her all time best melodies. Heartfelt lyrics and a pure, sincere vocal coupled with the amazing chorus make this one of the album's showstoppers.

Iconic: Among the danciest songs on Rebel Heart, this song's lyrics espouse the idea that we all have a fire inside of us, which is a theme in Madonna's work dating back to the beginning. Multiple hooks here, and a great feature by Chance the Rapper.

HeartBreakCity: Dark, cinematic ballad. A vocal showcase. Madonna and the piano, plus some martial drums and male background vocals. Bitter lyrics. Just perfect in every way.

Body Shop: Sounds like nothing else in her catalog. I love her different styles of singing exhibited on this charming and adorable song.

Holy Water: Bold, controversial, a throwback to Erotica. The electro elements make this one of the album's more dance oriented cuts. Witchy, Human Nature esque vocals. Multiple hooks.

Inside Out: The most groundbreaking song in terms of production. Matching a clattering industrial backdrop to a classic Madonna melody is genius, as is the transformation from industrial to orchestral. Wonderful singing from Madonna, this time in her high register. One of the best choruses ever, and a fabulous bridge to boot!

Wash All Over Me: A breathtaking ballad. One of her best ever songs lyrically. The verses have poetic imagery and deep layers, while the chorus puts across universal emotion in straightforward language, one of Madonna's real gifts. Again, we have a stellar vocal with some great high notes, and another spectacular melody. A definite career highlight.

Best Night: Exotic, erotic, enticing. Wonderful vocals. Fantastic bridge! Excellent instrumentation.

Veni Vidi Vici: This is how you reflect on a career! I love the verses and the way they incorporate song titles. The chorus sums up so much of her uniqueness and passion for her work. The Nas rap is explosive and riveting. Sentimental and triumphant song.

S.E.X. More hooks in one song than some artists manage for a whole album. Catchy and addictive. The spoken word bridge is to die for.

Messiah: One of the greatest pieces of music ever recorded by a pop artist. The mystical lyrics are full of meaning and questions. Is she singing to a lover? An unrequited love? A higher power? The song has some of her best-ever moments. The line "don't want to get to the end of my days saying I wasn't amazed" is a contender for her best ever recorded vocals. The chorus melody ranks with her all time best. The orchestra is astonishing in its beauty. This is a career highlight.

Rebel Heart: Madonna continues to deliver THE best album closers in the industry. What a heartfelt song, with reflective, finely drawn lyrics and poignant vocals. And again this chorus is among her all time best. Absolutely catchy in every way.

MVP tracks: Devil Pray, Iconic, Holy Water, Rebel Heart

Career bests: Joan of Arc, Inside Out, Wash All Over Me, Messiah

Overall score: 5 stars, 10/10, A+

Using Mooncrown11's ranking: 100

Ranking within Madonna's canon: top 3

^ I am going to take this opportunity to be professional about it. I am truthful in what I say about the album and the songs when talking about my personal experience and what I enjoy but a critic should step back and not let anything influence their opinion other then the work before them.

I adore her and her work so it's going to be difficult and I am not going to say I dislike something just to throw a criticism in there. I'm going to attempt to educate myself a bit before I write my review.

Being a fan on a forum giving an opinion and getting paid to do a job reviewing music are two different things. There are a lot of "writers" out there that need to be reminded of that.

How long do we have Stephen?

I was thinking about 2 weeks or so - let's say April 11th.

If anybody needs more time - just let me know

Wow! I certainly had a lot to write about for this album and probably could have easily written more! This is the kind of album that needs and requires close listening to appreciate all the layers and nuances.

My Overall Score: 93 out of 100

Living for Love : This song is such an anthem and a great album opener. It perfectly marries the rebel and heart themes : there's vulnerability here but also defiance and strength. The melodies and hooks in abundance and I particularly love the gospel-like backing vocals which hearken back to LAP. I can already hear phrases such as "Living for love" and "I'm gonna carry on" being sung by millions of fans at her shows. Classic.

Devil Pray: I have to say when I first heard about the list of drug references in this song, I wasn't sure how it was going to work as a Madonna song but I am happy to say I was ever so wrong for doubting it! This is an amazing track that marries folk with electronica in the best possible way much like her work on American Life did. Her voice on the verses is so warm and intoxicating and had me hooked from the first few notes. I love the imagery of making the devil pray - so genius and so Madonna.

Ghosttown: Ah, there she is - Madonna the brilliant balladeer. This song is absolutely exquisite from top to bottom and contains the first of many killer bridges on the album. Her vocals are so rich and absolutely dripping with pure emotion. She really does recall the vocal tone of the late, great Karen Carpenter. I disagree with reviewers who have praised the song but commented that it could have been easily recorded by any other pop female. There is no one else that can put this kind of feeling into a song and make it art instead of just a good pop song. This is the kind of song you play for someone who doesn't think Madonna is a good singer. Case closed.

Unapologetic Bitch: While not one of my favorites, I do appreciate that she is exploring using a reggae beat and trying something new. I do enjoy the very quick, choppy vocal lines on the verses and the overall attitude on the track but just haven't warmed up to it completely as a whole. The chorus is super-catchy though and has grown on me quite a bit.

Illuminati: I really enjoy this dark , trippy song. It is a real grower and I like it more with every listen. I like the way she raps on it - it works for her and there are quite few melodic hooks throughout the song - I particular enjoy the melody of the "It's the enlightenment that started it all" bit. I also like that she is having a good time and poking fun at all of the celebrity conspiracy theorists.

Bitch I'm Madonna: I have to say this song has really caught on for me. It's just great fun and she sounds like she's having a ball. Is it Shakespeare or Mozart? Certainly not, but it isn't trying to be either and that's where its charms lie. I do wish her voice didn't sound so sped up and high-pitched but I guess it suits the young, carefree vibe of the song. I also love when she references her past work (You can't mess with this lucky star). Nicki does a great job of adding to the song and complimenting it rather than taking it over. I can see this being another live concert singalong.

Hold Tight: This song has a laid-back dance groove to it and though it isn't a standout track, there's something quite urgent and hypnotic about it that pulls me in. I do wish it had a second verse instead of repeating the first one again but it certainly makes up for it with another beautiful and show-stopping bridge. I also think this makes a nice transition song from BIM to JOA.

Joan of Arc: This song is perfect on so many levels. Her vocals are once again on point and show incredible diversity and depth throughout. Although the song is clearly a personal one about her relationship with fame and public scrutiny, it also can be seen as a universal message on verbal or cyber bullying which many people can relate to. Everyone has been hurt by something vicious someone has said or written about them whether they admit it outwardly or not. There are so many great melodies once again and yet another gorgeous bridge that kills me every time especially on the last line "I'll just close my eyes and let you catch me now." Chills. This has to be a single.

Iconic: Now this song gets me pumped up! I don’t even mind the Mike Tyson intro (although I consider him more notorious than iconic). Again, she manages to squeeze multiple melodic hooks into one song that all work together and help the song build. By the time she gets to that incredible “Yeah, there’s a fire inside of you no one sees” bit, I am about ready to explode with excitement – her voice is used to incredible effect here and fits perfectly with the rise in the music accompanying her. My only let down in this song is the chorus. There is such an incredible build-up to it and then just when I think I’m going to be lifted into the sky and fly, the chorus falls a bit flat and brings me back to earth with a thud. No matter though, the rest of the song more than makes up for it. Iconic indeed!

Heartbreak City: Wow, someone is bitter and angry! It amazes me how much depth and versatility her voice has on this one album. She expresses the emotion of the song so well in her delivery and the marching drums just add to the overall cinematic, dramatic feel of the song. One complaint is I wish it were longer or had one of her brilliant bridges but otherwise it’s just perfect.

Body Shop: There’s always that one song on an M album that seems to split the fan camp and this may that song on the RH album. I am in the camp that absolutely loves it! It’s adorable and infectious. I can’t help but tap my feet and sing along to it- I am a slave to its catchy pop hooks! And then there’s that beautiful bridge that comes out of nowhere that absolutely drives me crazy (pun intended). I love her for putting this oddball gem on the album. LOVE IT!!!

Holy Water: This is probably the song I was most apprehensive about before I heard it but I was worried for nothing-it’s pure campy fun! It’s almost impossible not to love singing “Bitch get off my pole!” The beats are really good too and are perhaps my favorite part of the whole song. Again I gotta say though that the chorus could be stronger compared to the rest of the song. Although I do love when she is self- referential and I do love Vogue-I don’t think the sample makes any sense in the context of the song. Is the subject matter a little inappropriate? Sure is, but don’t we need to have that on every M album for some balance and comedic relief?

Inside Out: Can I just say, WOW! What an amazing and completely mesmerizing track. It manages to be direct and sexy but also dark and mysterious at the same time. I am completely drawn into this song every time it comes on – it just stops me in my tracks like I’m being hypnotized by it. The melodies again are beautiful and I love the lyrics especially the line “You’re beautiful when you’re broken down.” And another killer bridge – maybe my favorite on the whole album!! I’m just in awe that 30 + years into her career she can still surprise me with her music.

Wash All Over Me: God I love this song so much too! It’s just gorgeous and I absolutely love the imagery in her poetic lyrics (“You could thread a needle with a teardrop from my eye”-that’s just beautiful). And that voice on the chorus!! She sounds so incredibly clear and ethereal using her upper register in the best possible way. Those marching drums make another appearance and really suit the mood of this song. Epic!

Best Night: This one is a definite grower for me and I like it more with each listen but it’s still not one of my favorites. I like the verses but the chorus is a bit too repetitive for me. I do love the Justify My Love references in the bridge and unlike Vogue in Holy Water, it totally works in the context of the song.

Veni Vidi Vici: This is the ultimate self-referential Madonna song. Love that she is feeling so nostalgic this era and truly celebrating all she has accomplished. It’s almost impossible not to smile at her rapping about her life through use of some of her song titles – it could have been cheesy but instead comes off as very witty and poignant as well. The sweet delicate chorus is unexpected and completely welcome – yet another fantastic melodic hook. I think Nas does a great job with the rap and it totally fits the mood of the song and even has parallels with M’s own life. This has to be used as a video interlude on the tour with a montage of her videos – it would be too perfect.

S.E.X.: Another song I was kinda worried about and also kinda enjoy. It’s got so much humor and does not take itself seriously. I also think it has some great hooks – I especially love the “You’ve got a bad attitude” part. The rap with the grillz is just too funny.

Messiah: When I first saw the lyrics snippet and then heard it had an orchestra, I knew it was going to be one of my favorite tracks and I was not disappointed. It’s got great drama and it very sweeping and cinematic. Love that drum roll before the chorus hits and those strings are just perfect. Great witchy vibe in the lyrics and I never tire of saying this – her voice sounds phenomenal. This song really deserves to be on a big screen and winning an Oscar– it’s that good.

Rebel Heart: Perfect ending to the album for me. It just sums up the whole experience and also her whole career so far. It’s fitting that the album starts and ends with anthemic songs. The lyrics are perfect and again her voice is in top form and the melody is beautiful. Should have been on the standard edition for sure. Wouldn’t have minded her throwing in one of her fantastic bridges but I’m not complaining!

Beautiful Scars: I just love the simplicity and message of this song that you need to accept who you are even with your imperfections and flaws. It’s certainly not a new concept but she just delivers it so honestly and has made this such a theme in her work and has empowered so many people with this message. When I first heard this was a disco song, I expected something completely different but I actually love the Studio-54 vibe this is giving. And can I say, even on the bonus tracks she delivers the melodies and another AMAZING bridge – probably my second favorite after Inside Out.

Borrowed Time: This is the “preachy” song of the album but it is so well done. Her delivery is so heartfelt and earnest and the overall message is universal and rings true. This gives me American Life vibes and that is a very good thing in my book.

Addicted: This is a great marriage of rock and pop that reminds me of Burning Up. I love the use of her lower register in the slower verses contrasted with her upper register used in the more upbeat chorus. I could really see her exploring this sound further on her next record.

Graffiti Heart: This song just makes me so incredibly happy. It makes me nostalgic for the 80s and all the time I spent in NYC during those years. I love that she is embracing her roots in the NYC art scene and paying tribute to Haring, Basquiat, and Kahlo. This song has great spirit and joy to it and again great hooks and melodies throughout. So glad this gem was included on the super deluxe-it deserves to be heard. What a great tribute to her beginnings and the artists that influenced her work.

Madonna's "Fuzzy Dream" [yes, this has a title]

Score: 87 out of 100

I find Rebel Heart to be an exceptional piece of work.

It's trying to be everything to everyone in the best of ways: by examining, paying homage, and even taking the piss at every Madonna that has ever existed (well, except the money hungry. Material Girl remains dead to her).

Thematically, RH revolves around subverting expectations. You think I can't sing? Here's Ghosttown. You think I'm cold? Here's the title track and Joan of Arc. You think I can't come up with classic songs anymore? Here's Living for Love. You think I "won't go there" now that I'm in my fifties? Here's Holy Water, Best Night, and S.E.X. too. You think I'm not being experimental enough? Here's Body Shop, Inside Out, Illuminati. You think I don't want to act my age? Here's S.E.X.––followed by Messiah.

But this is also Madonna at her most philosophical. Before, she's been hit or miss in this department, what people in here call her "preachy songs." This time, she seems to be truly wondering about life, and she seems to be quite confused about it! We have Queen, Borrowed Time, Messiah, WAOM, Devil Pray... I mean, a ton of songs where the message, to use a Madonna-ism, "is not what it seems."

And yet, I wouldn't say that RH is her most intimate or vulnerable work. I still think she's never captured the true complexity of her everyday life or her more quirky interests. It's an intentional choice, for sure. We just know from watching/reading/listening to her iconic interviews that she's an exceptionally smart and cultured woman.

I'll say that Living for Love, Devil Pray, and Ghosttown is up there with Like a Prayer and Ray of Light in terms of Strongest Opening Trifecta. LFL is one of the most perfect anthems she's ever done. If anything, I wish it were longer. Devil Pray is so devilish and hot––it's also a warning: there will be surprises in RH. It's followed by a big one: the return to a perfectly unadorned pop ballad. Ghosttown. One of the best songs she's ever done, period.

For the next trifecta, shit shifts real fast. Unapologetic Bitch, Illuminati, and Bitch, I'm Madonna. While I think that Illuminati is a legit song that deserves to be up there with other sexy/dark tunes like Impressive Instant, Skin, or Bedtime Story, I still think it definitely belongs in this trifecta because it's so fucking ridiculous lyrically, like her Bitch counterparts. As you listen to UB/I/BIM there is no choice: you either cringe and skip, or you get silly. REALLY silly. Of her so-called "dumb" songs, these three are undoubtedly among her best. The trifecta is also the loudest 10 minutes of the entire record.

Which is interesting. When I first listened to the six tracks back in December, I definitely thought the pattern was going to be three purely pop songs, three crazy loud songs. It's remarkable that the rest of the album never gets nearly as loud as UB/I/BIM.

Hold Tight, Joan of Arc, and Iconic are feel-good songs, meaning that they are comforting and empowering. I love that once again there is abundance and variety of the same theme, just like with UB/I/BIM. Joan of Arc is another one of her best pop melodies, period.

And now, to the center of the album, both literally and symbolically:

Heartbreak City is my favorite song at the moment. I love absolutely everything that happens in those 3:30. Again, my only wish is that it went on a little longer. I'd love a proper outro á la Messiah. It's just too atmospheric and haunting of a song. No other track in RH sounds remotely like it. Maybe that's why I perceive as the dark center of the project. I just know that it floors me every time.

Body Shop––the second biggest surprise of the album. Yes, I do wish the lyrics were a little more interesting, but it's impossible not to get seduced by the cuteness of how the words and music blend in together. It's by far the song I sing aloud to the most. It works as a funny punch line, it works as a karaoke song, as a shower song, as a wake up song, as a driving song, as a going-to-a-date song... It’s one of the most instantly memorable tunes in RH. It's what I would personally call a hit.

And then, ladies, la– la– ladies… She gives us Holy Water. To me, the inane lyrics and mostly weak vocal delivery are true offenses, so I simply can’t take the song very seriously. Make no mistake: I do not skip this song, I pop my puss to this song, and I find myself singing along to this song while I’m making my morning coffee or going to the club… just like the rest of you. But again, this is the one I truly feel she’s done before, and better. And yet, it’s so hot, so irresistible, so foul that it feels essential. Not essential for her catalogue, but essential for Madonna to include it in RH.

Those three are the center of this album.

Inside Out is strange and full of tension, like a cross of Ghosttown and Illuminati. One of my favorites.

There’s something in WAOM’s production that makes it seem like the song is trying to be epic, instead of just being epic. Like there’s too much going on, but it’s not properly separated for me to hear it all and discover new sounds. In any case, it has a combination of lyrics and melody that’s fantastic.

Best Night is hot. Like, really hot. And it’s not trying to be hot, it just is. It’s easy listening for our hormones.

VVV is fun to listen to, but the chorus is surprisingly tender. It’s also up there with her best “common phrases turned into iconic choruses.” You just FEEL those words coming from HER.

S.E.X. is unfortunately placed too late in the album. By now, it sounds repetitive. On its own, though, it’s pretty phenomenal. It pulls off being both kinky and funny. I don’t believe Madonna when she says that the sexual songs in this album are just meant to be “tongue in cheek,” but I do believe it in this case.

I can picture Messiah and Rebel Heart being many fans’ worst nightmare. They are extremely soulful, serious, slow, and bonfire-y.

Messiah is one of those Madonna-meet-orchestra orgasms that shake me to the core. The lyrics are among her best. She’s the devoted follower, the one that’s lacking, but also the sorceress and the one that will earn the Messiah’s affection and approval. Love it.

Rebel Heart: I’ve never heard, or THOUGHT I WOULD EVER HEAR, a song like Rebel Heart by The Madonna. This is the third or fourth or tenth surprise of this album. While the message is familiar to any Madonna fan, I can’t find another song with this kind of arrangement, melody, sentiment in her catalogue. It’s retrospective like I’ll Remember but euphoric like Ray of Light. It’s empowering like Express Yourself, but also vulnerable like Drowned World/Substitute for Love. It’s sweet like Cherish but defiant like Human Nature (no curse words, which is in itself surprising).

I love this album so much that I get personally offended when anyone dismisses it because of a song or two, or compares one version of the song versus another, or can’t enjoy what we ended up getting. Because in getting a little bit of everything, we pretty much got everything. And Madonna didn’t have to do any of it.

I'm assuming that her most long-lasting fans probably identify or project a lot of their own personalities, dreams, and insecurities into what Madonna means to them. That's why I think Rebel Heart is ultimately such a beautiful gift to us. If you are a true fan––and by this I don't mean an extreme fanatic, but someone who truly identifies with Madonna on a personal level, whatever your reasons––this album speaks to you. Because it speaks to her––if not to the totality of Madonna, at least to the many different aspects of her personality. Which means that there's a song in here for everyone who’s ever loved her.

[bonus tracks: Beautiful Scars is exactly what I didn’t get but I needed; a breezy and simple song with the perfect melody, and FINALLY a long outro. Borrowed Time is among my favorites; it reminds me of when I was young and hopeful. Queen is a little dull in the verses, but the chorus and bridge are beautiful. The atmosphere is sad but defiant. Graffiti Heart, Addicted, Autotune Baby sound a touch underdeveloped, but somehow are still better than many of the songs in Hard Candy and MDNA. I enjoy them quite a bit, especially Autotune Baby.]

It's trying to be everything to everyone in the best of ways: by examining, paying homage, and even taking the piss at every Madonna that has ever existed (well, except the money hungry. Material Girl remains dead to her).

Thematically, RH revolves around subverting expectations. You think I can't sing? Here's Ghosttown. You think I'm cold? Here's the title track and Joan of Arc. You think I can't come up with classic songs anymore? Here's Living for Love. You think I "won't go there" now that I'm in my fifties? Here's Holy Water, Best Night, and S.E.X. too. You think I'm not being experimental enough? Here's Body Shop, Inside Out, Illuminati. You think I don't want to act my age? Here's S.E.X.––followed by Messiah.

But this is also Madonna at her most philosophical. Before, she's been hit or miss in this department, what people in here call her "preachy songs." This time, she seems to be truly wondering about life, and she seems to be quite confused about it! We have Queen, Borrowed Time, Messiah, WAOM, Devil Pray... I mean, a ton of songs where the message, to use a Madonna-ism, "is not what it seems."

And yet, I wouldn't say that RH is her most intimate or vulnerable work. I still think she's never captured the true complexity of her everyday life or her more quirky interests. It's an intentional choice, for sure. We just know from watching/reading/listening to her iconic interviews that she's an exceptionally smart and cultured woman.

I'll say that Living for Love, Devil Pray, and Ghosttown is up there with Like a Prayer and Ray of Light in terms of Strongest Opening Trifecta. LFL is one of the most perfect anthems she's ever done. If anything, I wish it were longer. Devil Pray is so devilish and hot––it's also a warning: there will be surprises in RH. It's followed by a big one: the return to a perfectly unadorned pop ballad. Ghosttown. One of the best songs she's ever done, period.

For the next trifecta, shit shifts real fast. Unapologetic Bitch, Illuminati, and Bitch, I'm Madonna. While I think that Illuminati is a legit song that deserves to be up there with other sexy/dark tunes like Impressive Instant, Skin, or Bedtime Story, I still think it definitely belongs in this trifecta because it's so fucking ridiculous lyrically, like her Bitch counterparts. As you listen to UB/I/BIM there is no choice: you either cringe and skip, or you get silly. REALLY silly. Of her so-called "dumb" songs, these three are undoubtedly among her best. The trifecta is also the loudest 10 minutes of the entire record.

Which is interesting. When I first listened to the six tracks back in December, I definitely thought the pattern was going to be three purely pop songs, three crazy loud songs. It's remarkable that the rest of the album never gets nearly as loud as UB/I/BIM.

Hold Tight, Joan of Arc, and Iconic are feel-good songs, meaning that they are comforting and empowering. I love that once again there is abundance and variety of the same theme, just like with UB/I/BIM. Joan of Arc is another one of her best pop melodies, period.

Heartbreak City is my favorite song at the moment. I love absolutely everything that happens in those 3:30. Again, my only wish is that it went on a little longer. I'd love a proper outro á la Messiah. It's just too atmospheric and haunting of a song. No other track in RH sounds remotely like it. Maybe that's why I perceive as the dark center of the project. I just know that it floors me every time.

Body Shop––the second biggest surprise of the album. Yes, I do wish the lyrics were a little more interesting, but it's impossible not to get seduced by the cuteness of how the words and music blend in together. It's by far the song I sing aloud to the most. It works as a funny punch line, it works as a karaoke song, as a shower song, as a wake up song, as a driving song, as a going-to-a-date song... It’s one of the most instantly memorable tunes in RH. It's what I would personally call a hit.

And then, ladies, la– la– ladies… She gives us Holy Water. To me, the inane lyrics and mostly weak vocal delivery are true offenses, so I simply can’t take the song very seriously. Make no mistake: I do not skip this song, I pop my puss to this song, and I find myself singing along to this song while I’m making my morning coffee or going to the club… just like the rest of you. But again, this is the one I truly feel she’s done before, and better. And yet, it’s so hot, so irresistible, so foul that it feels essential. Not essential for her catalogue, but essential for Madonna to include it in RH.

Inside Out is strange and full of tension, like a cross of Ghosttown and Illuminati. One of my favorites.

There’s something in WAOM’s production that makes it seem like the song is trying to be epic, instead of just being epic. Like there’s too much going on, but it’s not properly separated for me to hear it all and discover new sounds. In any case, it has a combination of lyrics and melody that’s fantastic.

Best Night is hot. Like, really hot. And it’s not trying to be hot, it just is. It’s easy listening for our hormones.

VVV is fun to listen to, but the chorus is surprisingly tender. It’s also up there with her best “common phrases turned into iconic choruses.” You just FEEL those words coming from HER.

S.E.X. is unfortunately placed too late in the album. By now, it sounds repetitive. On its own, though, it’s pretty phenomenal. It pulls off being both kinky and funny. I don’t believe Madonna when she says that the sexual songs in this album are just meant to be “tongue in cheek,” but I do believe it in this case.

I can picture Messiah and Rebel Heart being many fans’ worst nightmare. They are extremely soulful, serious, slow, and bonfire-y.

Messiah is one of those Madonna-meet-orchestra orgasms that shake me to the core. The lyrics are among her best. She’s the devoted follower, the one that’s lacking, but also the sorceress and the one that will earn the Messiah’s affection and approval. Love it.

Rebel Heart: I’ve never heard, or THOUGHT I WOULD EVER HEAR, a song like Rebel Heart by The Madonna. This is the third or fourth or tenth surprise of this album. While the message is familiar to any Madonna fan, I can’t find another song with this kind of arrangement, melody, sentiment in her catalogue. It’s retrospective like I’ll Remember but euphoric like Ray of Light. It’s empowering like Express Yourself, but also vulnerable like Drowned World/Substitute for Love. It’s sweet like Cherish but defiant like Human Nature (no curse words, which is in itself surprising).

I love this album so much that I get personally offended when anyone dismisses it because of a song or two, or compares one version of the song versus another, or can’t enjoy what we ended up getting. Because in getting a little bit of everything, we pretty much got everything. And Madonna didn’t have to do any of it.

I'm assuming that her most long-lasting fans probably identify or project a lot of their own personalities, dreams, and insecurities into what Madonna means to them. That's why I think Rebel Heart is ultimately such a beautiful gift to us. If you are a true fan––and by this I don't mean an extreme fanatic, but someone who truly identifies with Madonna on a personal level, whatever your reasons––this album speaks to you. Because it speaks to her––if not to the totality of Madonna, at least to the many different aspects of her personality. Which means that there's a song in here for everyone who’s ever loved her.

[bonus tracks: Beautiful Scars is exactly what I didn’t get but I needed; a breezy and simple song with the perfect melody, and FINALLY a long outro. Borrowed Time is among my favorites; it reminds me of when I was young and hopeful. Queen is a little dull in the verses, but the chorus and bridge are beautiful. The atmosphere is sad but defiant. Graffiti Heart, Addicted, Autotune Baby sound a touch underdeveloped, but somehow are still better than many of the songs in Hard Candy and MDNA. I enjoy them quite a bit, especially Autotune Baby.]

Wonderful review and insights Phineaspoe! I really enjoyed reading your review :thumbsup:

Really loving reading the Rebel Heart reviews from everyone on this thread. Much more detailed, personal and thoughtful than any other reviews you could read anywhere else.

Will do my own review soon too and I am sure a lot more will add their reviews as well. Great thread Mooncrown.

Really loving reading the Rebel Heart reviews from everyone on this thread. Much more detailed, personal and thoughtful than any other reviews you could read anywhere else.

Will do my own review soon too and I am sure a lot more will add their reviews as well. Great thread Mooncrown.

Thanks Jan! Looking forward to reading your thoughts on the album as well.

I was so interested reading your review that I forgot to ask you to score the album! Would you mind adding your overall score?

Thanks!

Well said!

I was prepared to only like a handful of songs per Madonna album (like I've done since Hard Candy) And I was OK with it. Almost relieved in a way. There is only so much time in a day to listen to music, and I like many other artists. Plus, it's getting to the point where I don't really need any more Madonna songs, I don't have enough time to listen to the ones I do like!

Then Rebel Heart happened. :laugh: Here is my review:

Living For Love -- OK, not just saying this because it "underperformed". I never really liked it, I even posted when it first was released.

It's Believe meets I Will Survive. Set to a dull house beat. There are much better house songs, both past and present. There are much better songs on this album. 5 (the Diamonds remix bumps it up to a 7, it almost sounds like a hit)

Ghosttown -- Originally I wanted to give this a 7, it's not quite up to the level of Live to Tell or Take a Bow. It's more You'll See. Which is still very good. Plus, I've never heard an apocalyptic love song before, and I keep finding myself singing it, so 8.

Devil Pray -- I love how atmospheric and metaphorical this song is. Then the clunky verses referencing all the drugs kind of brings it down a notch for me. 7

Unapologetic Bitch -- I love the lines, it might sound like I'm an unapologetic bitch, but sometimes you know I gotta call it like it is. Love the reggae beat. It's just missing a little something for me, not even sure what. 7

Illuminati -- I usually skip this one, just not a fan of it at all. 5

Bitch I'm Madonna -- The best thing I can say about it is I would like to see a video with Nicki and Diplo. Would be good for the tour. That's about it. Otherwise, it's awful. Yeah, it's trying to be fun. I mean, some Pitbull and/or Kesha songs are fun, this just annoys me. I DO like the "trap" breakdown part of the song, or whatever it is called. 4

Hold Tight -- Now the album really begins for me! This song is kind of simple, but the production sounds very fresh, love the vocals, everything about it. 8

Joan of Arc -- sounds like it could be a hit song. Nice ballad, very melodic. Vulnerable, without being self-pitying. 8

Iconic -- LOVE this! The Mike Tyson intro is perfection! "I'm the best ever" :dramatic: Another song about not giving up, expressing yourself, being famous, but still sounds unique. 10

Heartbreak City -- Very striking and dramatic. The backing vocals and the drum beats build this song up very well. I could picture Adele singing something like this 10

Body Shop -- Cute. The production is so polished and well done, it almost feel like it deserves a better song. 7

Wash All Over Me -- This has been one of my favorites from the beginning. The only problem I have is the lyrics are so vague I'm not sure what it's about. Aging? The end of her pop relevance? (Another) failed relationship? 9

Holy Water -- I actually kind of like this! Bless yourself and genuflect :dramatic: I like how it starts to sound slightly menacing when she keeps repeating Don't It Taste like Holy water in the chorus. The Vogue sample is pointless and serves to highlight how they probably just ran out of lyric ideas. 6

Best Night -- This song is subtle, very sexy without being vulgar. Probably my favorite Diplo production. 9

Veni Vidi Veci -- I hated the idea of this when reading spoilers. But I love the end result! Music saved my life :dramatic: The rap section is phenomenal, the production is euphoric 8

Rebel Heart -- OK, I must refer to the demo on this one. I miss the "Rebel Heart" intro. This album could have used a pure dance/pop type song. Don't think it could have been a hit in any version, simply because of the lyrics. Narcissist and masochist just aren't going to connect with a lot of people. The album version is still good, just more downbeat. 8

SEX -- I don't hate this as much as a lot of the critics did. Maybe I have a soft spot for these types of songs since they remind of MDNA: Candy Shop and Justify My Love reinventions. Still prefer them to Illuminati/BIM. 7

Messiah -- my least favorite ballad on the album. A little dull, reminds me of Masterpiece (not a good thing) 6

NOW, here's where I must complain. I think it was a BIG mistake to place some of the better songs on the Super Deluxe. Beautiful Scars and Borrowed Time are CLASSICS, both 10s. It hurt the reviews, since nearly all the critics just had the other two versions. It's hard to find, not even available on I tunes, most stores, etc. Plus, I personally hate paying over twenty dollars for an album, feels like the concert ticket situation, assuming fans will pay double just because of her name.

Anyway, I'll just go ahead and give Rebel Heart an 89, B+++++. It instantly became one of my favorites. I can't quite give it an A, I know I rated some songs 10, but it's missing a masterpiece like ROL, LAP, etc. It's more like an album full of third/fourth singles. Like True Blues/Angels, etc. if that makes any sense. So I can see why some critics were not so enthusiastic.

Please make sure my score was counted. I don't want this to be like metacritic where the actual good scores are thrown out and Madonna has to settle with B's from her own fans :laugh:

Wow! I certainly had a lot to write about for this album and probably could have easily written more! This is the kind of album that needs and requires close listening to appreciate all the layers and nuances.

My Overall Score: 93 out of 100

Living for Love : This song is such an anthem and a great album opener. It perfectly marries the rebel and heart themes : there's vulnerability here but also defiance and strength. The melodies and hooks in abundance and I particularly love the gospel-like backing vocals which hearken back to LAP. I can already hear phrases such as "Living for love" and "I'm gonna carry on" being sung by millions of fans at her shows. Classic.

Devil Pray: I have to say when I first heard about the list of drug references in this song, I wasn't sure how it was going to work as a Madonna song but I am happy to say I was ever so wrong for doubting it! This is an amazing track that marries folk with electronica in the best possible way much like her work on American Life did. Her voice on the verses is so warm and intoxicating and had me hooked from the first few notes. I love the imagery of making the devil pray - so genius and so Madonna.

Ghosttown: Ah, there she is - Madonna the brilliant balladeer. This song is absolutely exquisite from top to bottom and contains the first of many killer bridges on the album. Her vocals are so rich and absolutely dripping with pure emotion. She really does recall the vocal tone of the late, great Karen Carpenter. I disagree with reviewers who have praised the song but commented that it could have been easily recorded by any other pop female. There is no one else that can put this kind of feeling into a song and make it art instead of just a good pop song. This is the kind of song you play for someone who doesn't think Madonna is a good singer. Case closed.

Unapologetic Bitch: While not one of my favorites, I do appreciate that she is exploring using a reggae beat and trying something new. I do enjoy the very quick, choppy vocal lines on the verses and the overall attitude on the track but just haven't warmed up to it completely as a whole. The chorus is super-catchy though and has grown on me quite a bit.

Illuminati: I really enjoy this dark , trippy song. It is a real grower and I like it more with every listen. I like the way she raps on it - it works for her and there are quite few melodic hooks throughout the song - I particular enjoy the melody of the "It's the enlightenment that started it all" bit. I also like that she is having a good time and poking fun at all of the celebrity conspiracy theorists.

Bitch I'm Madonna: I have to say this song has really caught on for me. It's just great fun and she sounds like she's having a ball. Is it Shakespeare or Mozart? Certainly not, but it isn't trying to be either and that's where its charms lie. I do wish her voice didn't sound so sped up and high-pitched but I guess it suits the young, carefree vibe of the song. I also love when she references her past work (You can't mess with this lucky star). Nicki does a great job of adding to the song and complimenting it rather than taking it over. I can see this being another live concert singalong.

Hold Tight: This song has a laid-back dance groove to it and though it isn't a standout track, there's something quite urgent and hypnotic about it that pulls me in. I do wish it had a second verse instead of repeating the first one again but it certainly makes up for it with another beautiful and show-stopping bridge. I also think this makes a nice transition song from BIM to JOA.

Joan of Arc: This song is perfect on so many levels. Her vocals are once again on point and show incredible diversity and depth throughout. Although the song is clearly a personal one about her relationship with fame and public scrutiny, it also can be seen as a universal message on verbal or cyber bullying which many people can relate to. Everyone has been hurt by something vicious someone has said or written about them whether they admit it outwardly or not. There are so many great melodies once again and yet another gorgeous bridge that kills me every time especially on the last line "I'll just close my eyes and let you catch me now." Chills. This has to be a single.

Iconic: Now this song gets me pumped up! I dont even mind the Mike Tyson intro (although I consider him more notorious than iconic). Again, she manages to squeeze multiple melodic hooks into one song that all work together and help the song build. By the time she gets to that incredible Yeah, theres a fire inside of you no one sees bit, I am about ready to explode with excitement her voice is used to incredible effect here and fits perfectly with the rise in the music accompanying her. My only let down in this song is the chorus. There is such an incredible build-up to it and then just when I think Im going to be lifted into the sky and fly, the chorus falls a bit flat and brings me back to earth with a thud. No matter though, the rest of the song more than makes up for it. Iconic indeed!

Heartbreak City: Wow, someone is bitter and angry! It amazes me how much depth and versatility her voice has on this one album. She expresses the emotion of the song so well in her delivery and the marching drums just add to the overall cinematic, dramatic feel of the song. One complaint is I wish it were longer or had one of her brilliant bridges but otherwise its just perfect.

Body Shop: Theres always that one song on an M album that seems to split the fan camp and this may that song on the RH album. I am in the camp that absolutely loves it! Its adorable and infectious. I cant help but tap my feet and sing along to it- I am a slave to its catchy pop hooks! And then theres that beautiful bridge that comes out of nowhere that absolutely drives me crazy (pun intended). I love her for putting this oddball gem on the album. LOVE IT!!!

Holy Water: This is probably the song I was most apprehensive about before I heard it but I was worried for nothing-its pure campy fun! Its almost impossible not to love singing Bitch get off my pole! The beats are really good too and are perhaps my favorite part of the whole song. Again I gotta say though that the chorus could be stronger compared to the rest of the song. Although I do love when she is self- referential and I do love Vogue-I dont think the sample makes any sense in the context of the song. Is the subject matter a little inappropriate? Sure is, but dont we need to have that on every M album for some balance and comedic relief?

Inside Out: Can I just say, WOW! What an amazing and completely mesmerizing track. It manages to be direct and sexy but also dark and mysterious at the same time. I am completely drawn into this song every time it comes on it just stops me in my tracks like Im being hypnotized by it. The melodies again are beautiful and I love the lyrics especially the line Youre beautiful when youre broken down. And another killer bridge maybe my favorite on the whole album!! Im just in awe that 30 + years into her career she can still surprise me with her music.

Wash All Over Me: God I love this song so much too! Its just gorgeous and I absolutely love the imagery in her poetic lyrics (You could thread a needle with a teardrop from my eye-thats just beautiful). And that voice on the chorus!! She sounds so incredibly clear and ethereal using her upper register in the best possible way. Those marching drums make another appearance and really suit the mood of this song. Epic!

Best Night: This one is a definite grower for me and I like it more with each listen but its still not one of my favorites. I like the verses but the chorus is a bit too repetitive for me. I do love the Justify My Love references in the bridge and unlike Vogue in Holy Water, it totally works in the context of the song.

Veni Vidi Vici: This is the ultimate self-referential Madonna song. Love that she is feeling so nostalgic this era and truly celebrating all she has accomplished. Its almost impossible not to smile at her rapping about her life through use of some of her song titles it could have been cheesy but instead comes off as very witty and poignant as well. The sweet delicate chorus is unexpected and completely welcome yet another fantastic melodic hook. I think Nas does a great job with the rap and it totally fits the mood of the song and even has parallels with Ms own life. This has to be used as a video interlude on the tour with a montage of her videos it would be too perfect.

S.E.X.: Another song I was kinda worried about and also kinda enjoy. Its got so much humor and does not take itself seriously. I also think it has some great hooks I especially love the Youve got a bad attitude part. The rap with the grillz is just too funny.

Messiah: When I first saw the lyrics snippet and then heard it had an orchestra, I knew it was going to be one of my favorite tracks and I was not disappointed. Its got great drama and it very sweeping and cinematic. Love that drum roll before the chorus hits and those strings are just perfect. Great witchy vibe in the lyrics and I never tire of saying this her voice sounds phenomenal. This song really deserves to be on a big screen and winning an Oscar its that good.

Rebel Heart: Perfect ending to the album for me. It just sums up the whole experience and also her whole career so far. Its fitting that the album starts and ends with anthemic songs. The lyrics are perfect and again her voice is in top form and the melody is beautiful. Should have been on the standard edition for sure. Wouldnt have minded her throwing in one of her fantastic bridges but Im not complaining!

Beautiful Scars: I just love the simplicity and message of this song that you need to accept who you are even with your imperfections and flaws. Its certainly not a new concept but she just delivers it so honestly and has made this such a theme in her work and has empowered so many people with this message. When I first heard this was a disco song, I expected something completely different but I actually love the Studio-54 vibe this is giving. And can I say, even on the bonus tracks she delivers the melodies and another AMAZING bridge probably my second favorite after Inside Out.

Borrowed Time: This is the preachy song of the album but it is so well done. Her delivery is so heartfelt and earnest and the overall message is universal and rings true. This gives me American Life vibes and that is a very good thing in my book.

Addicted: This is a great marriage of rock and pop that reminds me of Burning Up. I love the use of her lower register in the slower verses contrasted with her upper register used in the more upbeat chorus. I could really see her exploring this sound further on her next record.

Graffiti Heart: This song just makes me so incredibly happy. It makes me nostalgic for the 80s and all the time I spent in NYC during those years. I love that she is embracing her roots in the NYC art scene and paying tribute to Haring, Basquiat, and Kahlo. This song has great spirit and joy to it and again great hooks and melodies throughout. So glad this gem was included on the super deluxe-it deserves to be heard. What a great tribute to her beginnings and the artists that influenced her work.

Wow I agree with EVERYTHING

Score: 87 out of 100

Thematically, RH revolves around subverting expectations. You think I can't sing? Here's Ghosttown. You think I'm cold? Here's the title track and Joan of Arc. You think I can't come up with classic songs anymore? Here's Living for Love. You think I "won't go there" now that I'm in my fifties? Here's Holy Water, Best Night, and S.E.X. too. You think I'm not being experimental enough? Here's Body Shop, Inside Out, Illuminati. You think I don't want to act my age? Here's S.E.X.followed by Messiah.

I'll say that Living for Love, Devil Pray, and Ghosttown is up there with Like a Prayer and Ray of Light in terms of Strongest Opening Trifecta. LFL is one of the most perfect anthems she's ever done. If anything, I wish it were longer. Devil Pray is so devilish and hotit's also a warning: there will be surprises in RH. It's followed by a big one: the return to a perfectly unadorned pop ballad. Ghosttown. One of the best songs she's ever done, period.

Body Shopthe second biggest surprise of the album. Yes, I do wish the lyrics were a little more interesting, but it's impossible not to get seduced by the cuteness of how the words and music blend in together. It's by far the song I sing aloud to the most. It works as a funny punch line, it works as a karaoke song, as a shower song, as a wake up song, as a driving song, as a going-to-a-date song... Its one of the most instantly memorable tunes in RH. It's what I would personally call a hit.

And then, ladies, la la ladies She gives us Holy Water. To me, the inane lyrics and mostly weak vocal delivery are true offenses, so I simply cant take the song very seriously. Make no mistake: I do not skip this song, I pop my puss to this song, and I find myself singing along to this song while Im making my morning coffee or going to the club just like the rest of you. But again, this is the one I truly feel shes done before, and better. And yet, its so hot, so irresistible, so foul that it feels essential. Not essential for her catalogue, but essential for Madonna to include it in RH.

Theres something in WAOMs production that makes it seem like the song is trying to be epic, instead of just being epic. Like theres too much going on, but its not properly separated for me to hear it all and discover new sounds. In any case, it has a combination of lyrics and melody thats fantastic.

Best Night is hot. Like, really hot. And its not trying to be hot, it just is. Its easy listening for our hormones.

VVV is fun to listen to, but the chorus is surprisingly tender. Its also up there with her best common phrases turned into iconic choruses. You just FEEL those words coming from HER.

S.E.X. is unfortunately placed too late in the album. By now, it sounds repetitive. On its own, though, its pretty phenomenal. It pulls off being both kinky and funny. I dont believe Madonna when she says that the sexual songs in this album are just meant to be tongue in cheek, but I do believe it in this case.

I can picture Messiah and Rebel Heart being many fans worst nightmare. They are extremely soulful, serious, slow, and bonfire-y.

Messiah is one of those Madonna-meet-orchestra orgasms that shake me to the core. The lyrics are among her best. Shes the devoted follower, the one thats lacking, but also the sorceress and the one that will earn the Messiahs affection and approval. Love it.

Rebel Heart: Ive never heard, or THOUGHT I WOULD EVER HEAR, a song like Rebel Heart by The Madonna. This is the third or fourth or tenth surprise of this album. While the message is familiar to any Madonna fan, I cant find another song with this kind of arrangement, melody, sentiment in her catalogue. Its retrospective like Ill Remember but euphoric like Ray of Light. Its empowering like Express Yourself, but also vulnerable like Drowned World/Substitute for Love. Its sweet like Cherish but defiant like Human Nature (no curse words, which is in itself surprising).

I love this album so much that I get personally offended when anyone dismisses it because of a song or two, or compares one version of the song versus another, or cant enjoy what we ended up getting. Because in getting a little bit of everything, we pretty much got everything. And Madonna didnt have to do any of it.

I'm assuming that her most long-lasting fans probably identify or project a lot of their own personalities, dreams, and insecurities into what Madonna means to them. That's why I think Rebel Heart is ultimately such a beautiful gift to us. If you are a true fanand by this I don't mean an extreme fanatic, but someone who truly identifies with Madonna on a personal level, whatever your reasonsthis album speaks to you. Because it speaks to herif not to the totality of Madonna, at least to the many different aspects of her personality. Which means that there's a song in here for everyone whos ever loved her.

[bonus tracks: Beautiful Scars is exactly what I didnt get but I needed; a breezy and simple song with the perfect melody, and FINALLY a long outro. Borrowed Time is among my favorites; it reminds me of when I was young and hopeful. Queen is a little dull in the verses, but the chorus and bridge are beautiful. The atmosphere is sad but defiant. Graffiti Heart, Addicted, Autotune Baby sound a touch underdeveloped, but somehow are still better than many of the songs in Hard Candy and MDNA. I enjoy them quite a bit, especially Autotune Baby.]

Baby such a wonderful review!!!!

Please make sure my score was counted. I don't want this to be like metacritic where the actual good scores are thrown out and Madonna has to settle with B's from her own fans :laugh:

I won't let that happen SOS! Your score will be counted!!