MadonnaNation Rebel Heart Reviews & Score

Please make sure my score was counted. I don't want this to be like metacritic where the actual good scores are thrown out and Madonna has to settle with B's from her own fans :laugh:

The bad part is that I averaged my numbers and ended up with a average of 7, and I whined about the bad reviews in the review thread! I bumped it up to a B+ just because I could

The bad part is that I averaged my numbers and ended up with a average of 7, and I whined about the bad reviews in the review thread! I bumped it up to a B+ just because I could

:laugh:

Wonderful review and insights Phineaspoe! I really enjoyed reading your review :thumbsup:

Well said!

phineaspoe, your review is wonderful

Baby such a wonderful review!!!!

Thanks, y'all! It came from the heart.

Vande, Donuts, we're waiting for your reviews :wink:

And where's everyone else? It would be nice to have more fully formed fan impressions of the album!

i want to do it...but i have to elaborate...than translate in english... :lol:

i can already say it's a 10 CUM laude....!!!

Thank God someone else giving it the score it deserves :clap:

I'm just going to put my numbers here and add text later. I wanna make sure my score is counted :)

1. Living For Love 10/10

2. Devil Pray 8/10

3. Ghosttown 9/10

4. Unapologetic Bitch 9/10

5. Illuminati 7/10

6. Bitch I'm Madonna 6/10

7. Hold Tight 8/10

8. Joan of arc 9/10

9. Iconic 8/10

10. Heartbreakcity 9/10

11. Body shop 5/10

12. Holy Water 7/10

13. Inside Out 9/10

14. Wash All Over Me 7/10

15. Best Night 8/10

16. Veni Vidi Vici 7/10

17. S.E.X. 6/10

18. Messiah 7/10

19. Rebel Heart 8/10

20. Beautiful Scars 8/10

21. Borrowed Time 8/10

22. Addicted 6/10

23. Graffiti Heart 8/10

Total Score: 80/100

Will give this a go - it is so hard to do.

Living for love - This song has always been an absolute grower. Such a positive feel -good break-up song done in an original and exciting way. Great melody and vibe plus love all of the up, up up, up parts. Should have been the smash single it deserved to be. 9.5/10

Devil Pray - I love everything about this song. The production, the vocals, the melody. The message of the song is conveyed brilliantly without being too preachy or judgemental. Instead, pleading for help whilst pointing out the temptations of addictions etc. Love the whole "Devil/cher" voice as well. Also, shows me that Madonna would be a brilliant country and western singer as it has that vibe for me as well. 10/10

Ghosttown- One of my favourite Madonna song of all time. It is her best ballad since Live to Tell and that is saying something because I adore Madonna's ballads. She sings it perfectly with feeling and clear gorgeous vocals. It also has an incredible story within the song and the melody is beautiful. The bridge is one of her best as well. 10/10

Unapologetic Bitch - This is a funny one for me to review. I don't love it but I appreciate it. It has grown on me a lot and I do love that it is different with the reggae beat. A good song to dance to. 7/10

Illuminati - I love this for the clever way it shows that Madonna is not part of the "Illuminati" that people try and accuse her of but instead talking about how she is flattered to be thought of being in the real "Illuminati" that were all for enlightenment and good. Love how she turns this around. It is also mysterious and interesting. The line of "It's like everybody in this party shining like Illuminati" is a classic to me. 10/10

Bitch I'm Madonna - I take this song for exactly what it is - a fun song that fans would love and I can imagine a lot of people getting right into it. Also a great song to dance to and I love Nicki's rap as well. It is a lot of fun. 8.5/10

Hold Tight - Yet another song that has grown on me more and more. Gorgeous lyrics for a love song and the melody and bridge are perfect. Great vocals too. 9/10

Joan of Arc - What a heart-breaking, poignant and sad song whilst also giving hope. Madonna at her most vulnerable and honest. Beautiful melody with gorgeous vocals. Puts her point of view across about constant unfair hate without being whiny or aggressive. Perfect way to do this and very touching. 10/10

Iconic - Wow. I love Mike Tyson's intro and the whole feel of the song. Inspirational lyrics and I love how she sings the "yeah, there's another part of you no-one sees, there's a burning fire that's underneath" Such sweet high vocals. 10/10

HeartBreakCity - Another song that is hard for me to review. I know this is the wrong attitude but I never really like Madonna singing about being dumped and used. Just a personal quirk of mine but because of that, I don't feel the same way about this as other ballads. However, admit to loving the production, the vocals, the melody and the passion she sings this with. So for the song itself - 9.10

Body Shop - This is incredible. Such a sweet sort of pretty melody with very sexy tongue in cheek lyrics. Usually I love that we can understand every word Madonna sings but I adore that it is hard to make out the lyrics in the early parts of the song. I love the backing and the bridge of " I would drive to the ends of the earth for you" Unusual and unique song. Love it. 10/10

Holy Water - I like and laugh at the "bitch, get off my pole" part. Madonna herself said this is supposed to a funny song and that is the way I take it as well. Not my favourite - still don't think it has any great melody - but can appreciate the play on words and topic. 7/10

Inside out - Love this a lot. Yet another grower - so many for me on this album. Beautiful lyrics, vocals and the bridge is to die for. 10/10

Wash all over me - Love this but would have liked a bit more beat to it. Beautiful lyrics. 9/10

Best Night - What a sexy smooth song. Very seductive lyrics and melody - 9/10

Veni Vidi Vici - Another clever fantastic song. Love all of the Madonna references with her past hits. Nas's rap is fantastic as well. 10/10

Sex - The lesson in sexology rap is so hilarious that it makes this song what it is. A fun tongue in cheek style that only Madonna can get away with. 9/10

Messiah - Madonna at her most mysterious, haunting and poetic. This needs to be snapped up by a fantastic film with witch/supernatural topic. Beautiful vocals, melody and the imagery of this song could be so much to so many people 10/10

Rebel Heart - I think the chorus to Rebel Heart is near enough to being my favourite Madonna chorus ever. I love the lyrics as describes her life journey. 10/10

Beautiful Scars - Was not sure of this at first but now love it. Still think the musical backing if off somehow though. 8.5/10

Borrowed Time - Brilliant song. The lyrics are everything and the chorus is outstanding. Should have been on the standard album without a shadow of a doubt. I think everyone could have a great appreciation for this song. 10/10

Addicted - Madonna as the "rock chick" that I know and love so well - Burning up is one of my favourite vocal performances from her ever. This reminds me of Burning up in the vocal style. I love this and should have also been on the standard. 10/10

Graffiti Heart - Ahh, such a nostalgic and lovely song. Another one that gets better with every listen. 10/10

So, all in all, I think this is my favourite Madonna album ever. I love it when Madonna has all sorts of songs and vibes on her albums and this conveys this. Maybe would have liked a few more 'pure pop" songs but that is just a small thing. Plenty of styles, topics and I love that there is plenty of both Rebel and Heart.

Living for love - This song has always been an absolute grower. Such a positive feel -good break-up song done in an original and exciting way. Great melody and vibe plus love all of the up, up up, up parts. Should have been the smash single it deserved to be. 9.5/10

Devil Pray - I love everything about this song. The production, the vocals, the melody. The message of the song is conveyed brilliantly without being too preachy or judgemental. Instead, pleading for help whilst pointing out the temptations of addictions etc. Love the whole "Devil/cher" voice as well. Also, shows me that Madonna would be a brilliant country and western singer as it has that vibe for me as well. 10/10

Ghosttown- One of my favourite Madonna song of all time. It is her best ballad since Live to Tell and that is saying something because I adore Madonna's ballads. She sings it perfectly with feeling and clear gorgeous vocals. It also has an incredible story within the song and the melody is beautiful. The bridge is one of her best as well. 10/10

Unapologetic Bitch - This is a funny one for me to review. I don't love it but I appreciate it. It has grown on me a lot and I do love that it is different with the reggae beat. A good song to dance to. 7/10

Illuminati - I love this for the clever way it shows that Madonna is not part of the "Illuminati" that people try and accuse her of but instead talking about how she is flattered to be thought of being in the real "Illuminati" that were all for enlightenment and good. Love how she turns this around. It is also mysterious and interesting. The line of "It's like everybody in this party shining like Illuminati" is a classic to me. 10/10

Bitch I'm Madonna - I take this song for exactly what it is - a fun song that fans would love and I can imagine a lot of people getting right into it. Also a great song to dance to and I love Nicki's rap as well. It is a lot of fun. 8.5/10

Hold Tight - Yet another song that has grown on me more and more. Gorgeous lyrics for a love song and the melody and bridge are perfect. Great vocals too. 9/10

Joan of Arc - What a heart-breaking, poignant and sad song whilst also giving hope. Madonna at her most vulnerable and honest. Beautiful melody with gorgeous vocals. Puts her point of view across about constant unfair hate without being whiny or aggressive. Perfect way to do this and very touching. 10/10

Iconic - Wow. I love Mike Tyson's intro and the whole feel of the song. Inspirational lyrics and I love how she sings the "yeah, there's another part of you no-one sees, there's a burning fire that's underneath" Such sweet high vocals. 10/10

HeartBreakCity - Another song that is hard for me to review. I know this is the wrong attitude but I never really like Madonna singing about being dumped and used. Just a personal quirk of mine but because of that, I don't feel the same way about this as other ballads. However, admit to loving the production, the vocals, the melody and the passion she sings this with. So for the song itself - 9.10

Body Shop - This is incredible. Such a sweet sort of pretty melody with very sexy tongue in cheek lyrics. Usually I love that we can understand every word Madonna sings but I adore that it is hard to make out the lyrics in the early parts of the song. I love the backing and the bridge of " I would drive to the ends of the earth for you" Unusual and unique song. Love it. 10/10

Holy Water - I like and laugh at the "bitch, get off my pole" part. Madonna herself said this is supposed to a funny song and that is the way I take it as well. Not my favourite - still don't think it has any great melody - but can appreciate the play on words and topic. 7/10

Inside out - Love this a lot. Yet another grower - so many for me on this album. Beautiful lyrics, vocals and the bridge is to die for. 10/10

Wash all over me - Love this but would have liked a bit more beat to it. Beautiful lyrics. 9/10

Veni Vidi Vici - Another clever fantastic song. Love all of the Madonna references with her past hits. Nas's rap is fantastic as well. 10/10

Sex - The lesson in sexology rap is so hilarious that it makes this song what it is. A fun tongue in cheek style that only Madonna can get away with. 9/10

Messiah - Madonna at her most mysterious, haunting and poetic. This needs to be snapped up by a fantastic film with witch/supernatural topic. Beautiful vocals, melody and the imagery of this song could be so much to so many people 10/10

Rebel Heart - I think the chorus to Rebel Heart is near enough to being my favourite Madonna chorus ever. I love the lyrics as describes her life journey. 10/10

Beautiful Scars - Was not sure of this at first but now love it. Still think the musical backing if off somehow though. 8.5/10

Borrowed Time - Brilliant song. The lyrics are everything and the chorus is outstanding. Should have been on the standard album without a shadow of a doubt. I think everyone could have a great appreciation for this song. 10/10

Addicted - Madonna as the "rock chick" that I know and love so well - Burning up is one of my favourite vocal performances from her ever. This reminds me of Burning up in the vocal style. I love this and should have also been on the standard. 10/10

Graffiti Heart - Ahh, such a nostalgic and lovely song. Another one that gets better with every listen. 10/10

So, all in all, I think this is my favourite Madonna album ever. I love it when Madonna has all sorts of songs and vibes on her albums and this conveys this. Maybe would have liked a few more 'pure pop" songs but that is just a small thing. Plenty of styles, topics and I love that there is plenty of both Rebel and Heart.

Great review Jan-thanks! Do you want to give an overall score or should I just add up your song scores and average them?

Great review Jan-thanks! Do you want to give an overall score or should I just add up your song scores and average them?

Sorry Mooncrown. I want to give the album a score of 98 out of 100. There are only a few songs I don't love but still appreciate them. As for the others, I love them so much. This is my favourite Madonna album so it deserves a huge score.

• 2 weeks later...

Rebel Heart is not as cohesive as Confessions on a Dance Floor or Hard Candy, but it's probably Madonna's best album since Ray of Light.

Some of the final mixes aren't as strong as the leaked demos, but the album is packed with actual songs with excellent melodies; Madonna's talent for creating solid pop songs with strong melodies is evident. In fact, I think the best songs on the album are among the most memorable songs ever released by Madonna. Unfortunately, there are also a few forgettable songs that distract from what could have been an even greater album, especially if the sequencing was changed just a little.

My overall rating: 83

The finished album has its flaws - some songs were overworked and at least a couple were kind of ruined. However, the whole project, including the leftovers and demos, is the most consistent body of music Madonna has ever produced. In that sense, "Rebel Heart" is her masterpiece. SCORE: 9 out of 10.

One of her most consistent and filler free records. Diverse sound but still have a very cohesive undertone and attitude. The flow from Iconic to Body Shop is clunky and the mixing of the album is a mess, but overall this is her strongest effort since American Life. 8.3/10

Highlights: Devil Pray, Ghosttown, Unapologetic Bitch, Bitch I'm Madonna, Inside Out, Wash All Over Me, Best Night

Living For Love 9/10

Devil Pray 8.5/10

Ghosttown 10/10

Unapologetic Bitch 6/10

Illuminati 7.5/10

Bitch Im Madonna 10/10

Hold Tight 7/10

Joan Of Arc 8.5/10

Iconic 8/10

HeartbreakCity 7.5/10

Body Shop 9.5/10

Holy Water 7/10

Inside Out 7.5/10

Wash All Over Me 7.5/10

Best Night 10/10

VVV 8.5/10

S.E.X 8/10

Messiah 10/10

Rebel Heart 6.5/10

Overall album rating 86

I don't review things but my score is definitely 100. Rebel Heart is one of my favorite albums, up there with American Life and Hard Candy. The only song I skip sometimes is Graffiti Heart.

I don't review things but my score is definitely 100. Rebel Heart is one of my favorite albums, up there with American Life and Hard Candy. The only song I skip sometimes is Graffiti Heart.

yAS! Her best albums post 00's. :roadrunner:

Oh hey, I'm back. So I FINALLY got my life right & funds together and purchased the deluxe edition from Target the other night. I've managed to avoid any & every leak so each song would be brand spanking new (to me at least) and I am quite pleased:

1. Living For Love is the perfect opener. NOT GONNA LIE, I wasn't blown away on the 1st few listens, but it’s grown on me since. After a thorough jam session in my bedroom I’ve concluded that it’s 10x better with quality headphones. Bitch took me to church.

2. Devil Pray was the standout song on my first listen. The country intro hooked me but once the bridge kicked in I LITERALLY had to pause the song & collect myself... then the instrumental hook slayed my whole life. It’s a folky-electronic mashup only Madonna could pull of successfully. :wow:

3. Ghosttown is very radio-friendly-sounding but nonetheless good. Her singing voice/ tone is pretty & the video def made me appreciate it more.

4. Unapologetic Bitch is the another highlight. Lyrically one of my favorites and musically one of her most creative... like ever. ReggaeDonna is a gem.

5. Illuminati is a dark switchup from the previous track, but I like the sharp contrast. Her monotone chanting on the verses reminds me of Some Girls only spookier & slightly better.

6. Bitch I'm Madonna was the only song I expected to dislike, especially with the Barbie Girl-esque techno opening but the beat drop is reeled me right back in. Nicki & Diplo did not disappoint. I can tell they had fun recording it.

7. Hold Tight is one of the better mid-tempo tracks. Gotta love that chorus, the way it swells then breaks down. Would have sounded better toward the end of RH. In fact, my only real gripe with the album is the sequencing.

8. Joan of Arc has to be one her best ballads in years. Smooth, poignant, and still slightly upbeat.

9. Iconic is going to be incorporated into some kind of dope tour interlude cuz it demands an amazing visual to accompany it. Like WOW. :bow:

10. Heartbreakcity is really poetic. Love the story she paints, if only there was something additional during the verses (not just the piano alone).

11. Body Shop is pure pop perfection! I want more of this sound from her (whatever the fuck it is) in the near future. Undeniably catchy & sweet & warm & flirty & fantastic! One of my all time favorite Madonna songs like ever.

12. Holy Water is my new stripper anthem; hot beat, sexy hook, dirty lyrics. UGH. I go especially mad when that little snippet of Vogue starts. :dramatic:

13. Inside Out is so single worthy. In terms of melody, the formula is just right. I can def see Terrance Howard & M doing the tango to it but hey, thats just me.

14. Wash All Over Me aint one of my favorites, but I gotta give kudos for the passion in her voice. It’s got a beautifully haunting theme to it that I can admire.

15. Best Night makes we wanna writhe slowly in a blacklit room with an audience of spectators TBH. It’s so sexy.

16. Veni Vidi Vici shoulda been on disc one. The way M-Dolla started referencing her past hits was too damn clever. Nas was nice touch (loved his shout-out to his ex-wife Kelis too).

17. S.E.X. IS LIFE. WHAT YALL KNOW BOUT IT? :fag:

18. Messiah is the true album closer. I cannot take the way she says “I’ll light candle here in the dark... making my way to your heart” brings a slight tear to the eye, not gonna lie. Truly gorgeous, totally hypnotic, all that good stuff.

19. Rebel Heart is fantastic. One of those songs that make me wanna hug the nearest person next to me. I like her introspection & vocal delivery, but most importantly, the way she says ‘NARcissist.’ :rotfl:

9.9 out of 10

Ok with 13 reviews and/or scores so far (through Isaac Harris)

Rebel Heart's MNationCritic's score is :

91!!!!

This is a great start! Please feel free to continue adding reviews/scores and I will update the score as we go. Love reading everyone's thoughts and opinions.

So if you rated Rebel Heart a perfect 100, does that mean you believe it is flawless? Like, are you comparing it with all other music? Are you saying Holy Water is one of the greatest songs ever written?

Well it is!

a judgement on art is not a mere sum of single aspects.....if this was the case no one of Hitchcock's film would ever get a 10.....most of his screenplays or dialogues are far from flawless.....

i honestly hate this modern way of judging music...it began with the digital era....you take an album then review every single song and then you just make an average....

well...an album it's not just the average of any single track of it...

I know I'm a bit late, but love your review jazzy! I just can't bring myself to rating it quite yet, my favorites change all the time. Two weeks ago I prob would've rated BIM about an 8.5 but since the Fallon performance, I've been obsessed so now it gets a 10!!! I will say, I don't think I dislike any song.

What you say about the music being off on Beautiful Scars is interesting because I know you didn't listen to the demos. I did listen to the BS demo and the first time I heard the final I also thought the music sounded a little off but I attributed to the fact I had the demo implanted in my mind.

I know I'm a bit late, but love your review jazzy! I just can't bring myself to rating it quite yet, my favorites change all the time. Two weeks ago I prob would've rated BIM about an 8.5 but since the Fallon performance, I've been obsessed so now it gets a 10!!! I will say, I don't think I dislike any song.

What you say about the music being off on Beautiful Scars is interesting because I know you didn't listen to the demos. I did listen to the BS demo and the first time I heard the final I also thought the music sounded a little off but I attributed to the fact I had the demo implanted in my mind.

Kurt, think exactly the same thing about Bitch, I'm Madonna. I always thought it was a lot of fun, enjoyed it and never skipped it but it was not one of my favourites. Since the Fallon performance, I have grown to absolutely love it. That performance was so epic and fun, that the song just come alive totally for me. Now up there with the other songs that I am obsessed with. Re Beautiful Scars, I still have not heard the demo but I just feel the backing does not match the vibe or words. Lovely song with beautiful melody and lyrics though.

Oh hey, I'm back. So I FINALLY got my life right & funds together and purchased the deluxe edition from Target the other night. I've managed to avoid any & every leak so each song would be brand spanking new (to me at least) and I am quite pleased:

1. Living For Love[/size] is the perfect opener. NOT GONNA LIE, I wasn't blown away on the 1st few listens, but it’s grown on me since. After a thorough jam session in my bedroom I’ve concluded that it’s 10x better with quality headphones. Bitch took me to church.

2. Devil Pray[/size] was the standout song on my first listen. The country intro hooked me but once the bridge kicked in I LITERALLY had to pause the song & collect myself... then the instrumental hook slayed my whole life. It’s a folky-electronic mashup only Madonna could pull of successfully. :wow:

3. Ghosttown[/size] is very radio-friendly-sounding but nonetheless good. Her singing voice/ tone is pretty & the video def made me appreciate it more.

4. Unapologetic Bitch[/size] is the another highlight. Lyrically one of my favorites and musically one of her most creative... like ever. ReggaeDonna is a gem.

5. Illuminati[/size] is a dark switchup from the previous track, but I like the sharp contrast. Her monotone chanting on the verses reminds me of Some Girls[/size] only spookier & slightly better.

6. Bitch I'm Madonna[/size] was the only song I expected to dislike, especially with the Barbie Girl[/size]-esque techno opening but the beat drop is reeled me right back in. Nicki & Diplo did not disappoint. I can tell they had fun recording it.

7. Hold Tight[/size] is one of the better mid-tempo tracks. Gotta love that chorus, the way it swells then breaks down. Would have sounded better toward the end of RH[/size]. In fact, my only real gripe with the album is the sequencing.

8. Joan of Arc[/size] has to be one her best ballads in years. Smooth, poignant, and still slightly upbeat.

9. Iconic[/size] is going to be incorporated into some kind of dope tour interlude cuz it demands an amazing visual to accompany it. Like WOW. :bow:

10. Heartbreakcity[/size] is really poetic. Love the story she paints, if only there was something additional during the verses (not just the piano alone).

11. Body Shop[/size] is pure pop perfection! I want more of this sound from her (whatever the fuck it is) in the near future. Undeniably catchy & sweet & warm & flirty & fantastic! One of my all time favorite Madonna songs like ever.

12. Holy Water[/size] is my new stripper anthem; hot beat, sexy hook, dirty lyrics. UGH. I go especially mad when that little snippet of Vogue[/size] starts. :dramatic:

13. Inside Out [/size]is so single worthy. In terms of melody, the formula is just right. I can def see Terrance Howard & M doing the tango to it but hey, thats just me.

14. Wash All Over Me[/size] aint one of my favorites, but I gotta give kudos for the passion in her voice. It’s got a beautifully haunting theme to it that I can admire.

15. Best Night[/size] makes we wanna writhe slowly in a blacklit room with an audience of spectators TBH. It’s so sexy.

16. Veni Vidi Vici[/size] shoulda been on disc one. The way M-Dolla started referencing her past hits was too damn clever. Nas was nice touch (loved his shout-out to his ex-wife Kelis too).

17. S.E.X.[/size] IS LIFE. WHAT YALL KNOW BOUT IT? :fag:

18. Messiah[/size] is the true album closer. I cannot take the way she says “I’ll light candle here in the dark... making my way to your heart” brings a slight tear to the eye, not gonna lie. Truly gorgeous, totally hypnotic, all that good stuff.

19. Rebel Heart [/size]is fantastic. One of those songs that make me wanna hug the nearest person next to me. I like her introspection & vocal delivery, but most importantly, the way she says ‘NARcissist.’ :rotfl:

9.9 out of 10

Welcome back!!

Love this review!! Glad to see you love the album.

Kurt, think exactly the same thing about Bitch, I'm Madonna. I always thought it was a lot of fun, enjoyed it and never skipped it but it was not one of my favourites. Since the Fallon performance, I have grown to absolutely love it. That performance was so epic and fun, that the song just come alive totally for me. Now up there with the other songs that I am obsessed with. Re Beautiful Scars, I still have not heard the demo but I just feel the backing does not match the vibe or words. Lovely song with beautiful melody and lyrics though.

Yes!! The live performance really brought it to life. I can't wait for the tour! She always has performances that make me develop a whole new appreciation for some songs (CPG on DWT, NKM on RIT and GGW on MDNA immediately come to mind). I agree about BS, I actually love both versions. The almost 70's/disco feel of the final is quite a contrast to the feel of the demo.