MadonnaNation.com Forums
GOD

Guy O$eary (and Barbra Streisand) thread

Guest Rachelle of London

Can Guy control airplay, though? If radio stations in Australia aren't playing the latest Madonna single, what can Guy personally do about it? Surely that's the job of the record company....? Oh...wait...Madonna doesn't actually have a proper record company promoting her. All Interscope is contracted to do is distribute the album. Promo is up to Live Nation, and they're not a record company. Herein lies the problem.

How many artists complain after they've left a record company that the company itself didn't do enough to promote their music (resulting in underperforming/flop releases)? They don't complain about their managers - they complain about the record companies.

LFL is a fantastic pop/dance song and if Warner Brothers had been in charge of its release, it would have been a hit. Promo really is everything when it comes to music and without the support of a proper record company, anything Madonna releases is going to struggle beyond its initial release. Let's not forget that in the US last week, RH was the highest selling album in the country. It dropped like a stone this week, but I defy anyone to name a pop/dance artist who is still scoring #1 albums 33 years into their pop/dance career. Madonna is still blazing trails for others to follow.

As per usual Carta breaks it down PERFECTLY

:clap:

It's not a "theory." it's pretty much how it always happens...with plenty of other artists too. Opinions usually change after something has not performed up to expectations. I've seen it with various artists and 'fandoms' for years.

And who's being pig-headed? The 'mixed reactions' is just as much a reflection of your experiences and where you look. If that's what you saw, fine. But it isn't what I saw, nor remember. Doesn't mean I'm lying. Just means we're getting a different impression, most likely based on what we have chosen to focus on. But I know I can't be the only one that remembers a generally good response to the song initially.

This

It's true though and that is how she felt. She didn't call them horrible people. Again Madonna is not a politician.

How can anyone know what it's like to grow up somewhere when they didn't grow up there.

:thumbsup:

The thing is there's a Madonna backlash, i don't know or understand where it comes from. It's like people are just jumping on a bandwagon without even asking themself if they like it or not, like there is a consensus you must not like her. No matter the praises in prints and on the net : the new york post did a positive piece about needing her, even Pitchfork talked about her positively but it eems like the GP don't want to join in BUT since the reviews were mostly positive people say they like the album so i guess it will pass the test of time. Jonathan Ross and Ellen got her positive feedbacks. Le Grand journal and that Italian show too.

They fucking need to take care of her back catalogue, to start organizing her legacy. If i was part of the team i would make a deal with Warner and put all her singles and albums, remastered versions and rare unavailable versions of her hits on Madonna.com in partnership with Itunes and others. Same with her videos. Have it all organized in one place with a great picture section so people can see what she did years ago when they we're not yet born or have forgotten.

It s like 1992 again where the GP didn't like her.It was just cool not to like Madonna or uncool to like her. By the way this thread has turned out to be "what s going wrong with this era" thread.

Can Guy control airplay, though? If radio stations in Australia aren't playing the latest Madonna single, what can Guy personally do about it? Surely that's the job of the record company....? Oh...wait...Madonna doesn't actually have a proper record company promoting her. All Interscope is contracted to do is distribute the album. Promo is up to Live Nation, and they're not a record company. Herein lies the problem.

How many artists complain after they've left a record company that the company itself didn't do enough to promote their music (resulting in underperforming/flop releases)? They don't complain about their managers - they complain about the record companies.

LFL is a fantastic pop/dance song and if Warner Brothers had been in charge of its release, it would have been a hit. Promo really is everything when it comes to music and without the support of a proper record company, anything Madonna releases is going to struggle beyond its initial release. Let's not forget that in the US last week, RH was the highest selling album in the country. It dropped like a stone this week, but I defy anyone to name a pop/dance artist who is still scoring #1 albums 33 years into their pop/dance career. Madonna is still blazing trails for others to follow.

Fantastic post Carta. Agree with it all.

I remember banging my head against a wall because people were criticising LFL and raving about the demo. I also remember the appreciation thread being created so the haters could stay out. That is not false. It happened. I remember Stephen making me laugh because he kept saying he wanted to jump on his desk at work singing the "up up up" parts and people moaning that those bits are flat.

Thanks for confirming this. This is exactly as I remember it. I started to avoid the threads that were filled with the negative comments as it was beginning to dampen my enthusiasm for the song. And I would say outside of this forum, reactions to LFL were even more mixed.

As per usual Carta breaks it down PERFECTLY

:clap:

Fantastic post Carta. Agree with it all.

Thank you both :thumbsup: .

I wonder because of the sales Guy may push for her tour to be another Re-invention style greatest hits show? I know she will not want to do it but it might just have to be done to get those tickets sold. Damage control is needed and it's needed now...

I wonder because of the sales Guy may push for her tour to be another Re-invention style greatest hits show? I know she will not want to do it but it might just have to be done to get those tickets sold. Damage control is needed and it's needed now...

reinvention tour worked amazingly. the reviews for that tour were great, i remember. there was even a "madonna sings LIVE" headline along with much praise here years ago when she performed in Arnhem and they sent someone to review it (yes i still remember it :p) including songs of rebel heart is a great idea because it's a great album, but I'd tame it down on the "bitch" songs and include more hits in their original way, like reinvention. just be a showgirl again and not depend on the visuals too much, but the live band and the music. that itself will work great. but at the same time she has to reinvent herself and do things a new way, otherwise people could put the "novelty act" on her. so it's tricky. she can never please everyone. and they love to criticise this woman :(

Nikki, When has Madonna ever been considered a "novelty act" ? Even people that hate her have never labelled her that.

Yesterday on FB a link to an article about Rebel Heart was shared 5 times on my timeline by professional journalists and people in the music biz and it was about how Rebel Heart as messy as it is, is still full of promises for Madonna's future and even though it may not sell well it reestablished her as an artist we should love and it ends praising her to high levels for the album. It's in french. The comments were also very positive.

http://www.itspop.fr/2015/03/cur-rebelle-demo-97-review-68.html?spref=tw

Nikki, When has Madonna ever been considered a "novelty act" ? Even people that hate her have never labelled her that.

isn't that what they call an artist who depends on their greatest hits or achievements from yrs ago?

I hope the tour is all about the new album. Even though I love her back catalogue i love the new songs so much that i'd rather have Holy Water than Like a Virgin or Into The Groove.

She comes across as much more sensitive,sweet, unguarded, human and likeable this era, as opposed to superficial, bitchy, controlling the way people usually perceive her to be. It's almost like a new reinvention, surely, the GP should like her more? well if this doesn't work then fuck it, bring back the grills, put on slut clothes and go makeout with diplo and drake on stage at the IHeart awards while singing Unapologetic Bitch.

I don't think Madonna will become a novelty act but her classics will have to be in full force for future tours. There can be a happy medium between new songs and old. Re-invention was the best example of this and that was perfect to counteract the lacklustre sales of American Life. She had 24 songs with 6 being new tracks. She can easily do 10 new tracks and still have enough hits to keep the general public happy. Guy get on it!

She is selling tickets without problem, even if she isn't breaking records. Why should she change her way of touring? She's not suddenly Kylie, she's still beyond any other pop act. Gaga, Perry, Beyonce or Rihanna aren't breaking records either, they announce the tour and tickets are sold much later.

I really do think this thread is overreaction galore. Suddenly she's forgotten and has to change her setlist? Please...

I was playing a cd in my car the other day and had some friends with me. While Living for love remix from the grand journal a girl asked what song was and that she liked it. When i said it's Madonna she said" Madonna ew change it.

I don't know what is wrong. :mellow:

On topic: This Guy is useless.

She comes across as much more sensitive,sweet, unguarded, human and likeable this era, as opposed to superficial, bitchy, controlling the way people usually perceive her to be. It's almost like a new reinvention, surely, the GP should like her more? well if this doesn't work then fuck it, bring back the grills, put on slut clothes and go makeout with diplo and drake on stage at the IHeart awards while singing Unapologetic Bitch.

I like that idea!!

Thanks for confirming this. This is exactly as I remember it. I started to avoid the threads that were filled with the negative comments as it was beginning to dampen my enthusiasm for the song. And I would say outside of this forum, reactions to LFL were even more mixed.

Yes, totally this. On other music forums, people seemed generally quite tepid towards the song. There are lots of things working against Madonna this time out, but if she'd delivered a high calibre pop gem, rather than a so-so dance track that never quite takes off, then things might be somewhat different now.

She is selling tickets without problem, even if she isn't breaking records. Why should she change her way of touring? She's not suddenly Kylie, she's still beyond any other pop act. Gaga, Perry, Beyonce or Rihanna aren't breaking records either, they announce the tour and tickets are sold much later.

I really do think this thread is overreaction galore. Suddenly she's forgotten and has to change her setlist? Please...

I don't think she's forgotten at all, I am thinking about the general publics view of her. MDNA Tour pissed off a lot of casual fans with the concentration on new songs and late starts to the shows. As a huge fan, MDNA was a fantastic show because I loved the album and know her back catalogue in and out. The casual ticket buyer wants to hear her hits, there is no reason not to have a happy medium.

She has such good catalog

Its very difficult to the new songs live up to that

Thing is the economic crisis is spreading fast in society and gaining ground in social categories that were until now spared from its effect so people are looking for someone to blame and since people responsible for the economic crisis are invisible and faceless they turn against minorities they feel are stealing what should be theirs and who don't look or live like they think french people must look like and live. Shit is real here.

Don't forget that for this week's election, 50% of people didn't get their asses to the polling station. But I agree with you on the whole situation :)

Guest Pud Whacker

I don't think Madonna will become a novelty act but her classics will have to be in full force for future tours. There can be a happy medium between new songs and old. Re-invention was the best example of this and that was perfect to counteract the lacklustre sales of American Life. She had 24 songs with 6 being new tracks. She can easily do 10 new tracks and still have enough hits to keep the general public happy. Guy get on it!

they should be.

THE WHOLE STADIUM SHOULD BE SCREAMING THE SONGS BACK AT HER.

shes the ONLY pop star with that many GLOBAL hits. shes a damn fool to be putting them down in interviews and leaving them off tours.

whatever she wants to do. its her legacy.

of course, i will be there.

Guest Pud Whacker

Songs that SHOULD BE ON EVERY MADONNA TOUR. regardless of what those heinous Ray Of Lighters spewed on the internet.

Holiday

Borderline

Lucky Star

Crazy For You

Into the Groove

Like a Virgin

Material Girl

Dress You Up

Live to Tell

Papa Dont Preach

Open Your Heart

La isla Bonita

Causing a Commotion

Like a Prayer

Express Yourself

Vogue

Rain

I'll Remember/Take a Bow - pick one woman to represent the period.

Frozen

Ray of Light

Music

Dont Tell Me

then whatever she wants because it doesn't matter because she personally makes them disposable.

Wow at this thread :manson:

Guest Pud Whacker

Wow at this thread :manson:

tumblr_nbewf0U8BN1r3tiuvo1_500.gif

OMG, speaking of Guy, I was watching the "Deeper & Deeper" video on youtube today and couldn't believe it when someone in the comments section said Guy was in the video. I never noticed this before, haha. Obviously I knew about the other cameos in the video (love all of the cameos in the Erotica era), but didn't know Guy was there. I guess this was before he took on positions of concert photographer and sock puppet. haha

Seriously though, he annoys me at times but I can't totally fault him for everything going on these days. However, things could still be done more efficiently in terms of security for demos, timing of videos with single releases, etc. Not sure if this is all him.

He and Madonna certainly have a long history together... So yeah, just had to share this pic of him in D&D... I'm sure many a hardcore fan knew he was in there, but a surprise to me!

M6XW963.jpg

Guest Pud Whacker

OMG, speaking of Guy, I was watching the "Deeper & Deeper" video on youtube today and couldn't believe it when someone in the comments section said Guy was in the video. I never noticed this before, haha. Obviously I knew about the other cameos in the video (love all of the cameos in the Erotica era), but didn't know Guy was there. I guess this was before he took on positions of concert photographer and sock puppet. haha

Seriously though, he annoys me at times but I can't totally fault him for everything going on these days. However, things could still be done more efficiently in terms of security for demos, timing of videos with single releases, etc. Not sure if this is all him.

He and Madonna certainly have a long history together... So yeah, just had to share this pic of him in D&D... I'm sure many a hardcore fan knew he was in there, but a surprise to me!

M6XW963.jpg

you know you all need to know that Guy Oseary is the manager and knows EVERYTHING about that business.

Madonna usually tells them all what to do.

All this promo were getting is NOT because madonna wants to do it, i assure you. its because guy sat her down and gave her a talking to.