MadonnaNation.com Forums
GOD

Guy O$eary (and Barbra Streisand) thread

Guest HaveASit

MDNA had two problems that alienated the general public and some of her fans:

1. Late show start

2. Lack of hits

END OF.

And now she has to 'recover' from that for this tour. I bet you this tour will have more hits on it. It'll be a classic Reinvention / Drowned World scenario..

My main problem was not being able to see the show. MDNA was very visual, theatrical, so a decent stage vision was essential. You know, stadiums and parks bring the money but fuck with 60% of people show experience

:rotfl:

are you from afghanistan?!!!

چه کثافتی صحبت می کنید؟

:laugh:

What a shit show this thread is. But I can't stop reading.

I do need more GIFs though.

thats an interesting last question. shes tough on the outside but we know another girl like that!!!

here check this out:

EXTRAORDINARY!!! i feel sorry for people who havent accepted Barbra as their savior. :rotfl:

Aww! I think she might be very private so she doesn't get hurt. What an exchange in that interview though. I like how she came back at him.

Guest Pud Whacker

چه کثافتی صحبت می کنید؟

:laugh:

OMG ARE YOU?!!! :rotfl:

i love you!!!

Well the irony is that Pud was the one to throw insults at several posters because "they weren't there in 1983". Such a smart argument. He's the one who brought Streisand into the discussion in the first place saying how Madonna should take example from how she runs her career

Never mind her album sold half a million copies less than MDNA. Again, the original point was how are radio airplay rules and ageism not at play here. Answer was "Look at Streisand she's 72 and is selling heaps so you can shove your ageism card up your ass".

Nobody was questioning the merit of Barbra Streisand's career or the fact that at 72 she still releases stuff and performs live, people were just suggesting she's not a Madonna sized star therefore comparing what she does in her career to what choices Guy, Madonna, LN etc make is utterly pointless.

Well said

What a shit show this thread is. But I can't stop reading.

I do need more GIFs though.

tumblr_m0fzgayoko1qax8y6o1_500.gif

Guest Pud Whacker

Aww! I think she might be very private so she doesn't get hurt. What an exchange in that interview though. I like how she came back at him.

oh, me too!!! shes like "What is this tone?" "Why do ask me like that?"

THATS A STAR!!!

OMG ARE YOU?!!! :rotfl:

i love you!!!

I'm not actually, but I did acquire the skill to utilize the new technology called "Google Translate" :old:

If someone is completely pissed at her and doesn't want to buy tickets for her shows anymore you think they're gonna buy her album? I know many people who are still very angry and they boldly state they will never support anything with her name on it, whether that is a concert ticket, an album, a single etc.. And most of them are gay people who don't have kids etc. so an 11pm start you'd think wouldn't be that disruptive. Think about how pissed off straight people are who had to deal with babies, kids, nannies etc.. and ended up getting home at 2am on a Wednesday or left the concert before it even started.

And the worst thing is, you can't say anything to them to support her because they are completely right.

I also have family members who attended various shows on different tours and they were so pissed about very late start times, poor air conditioning, and lack of familiar songs. :laugh::laugh: Had no idea how to respond to those complaints because I'm just happy to have the opportunity to see her!

Finally, some decent discussion on the last several pages. Good points from XXL, Kurt and Papi...and I can see some of the things Shan is saying too.

Papi's points about tours, image, and some of the professionalism aspects makes a lot of sense. As for tours and tickets sales and her rep there, I think she can easily remedy that...as she has before.

As for albums and singles, what more can be done there though? RH is her clearly her strongest work in the last decade, and classic 'Madonna' as ever... so perhaps better strategies on the business end? Perhaps hire someone that specializes in strategies for sales/charts/and the current industry climate with how music works today...? What else?

People are always complaining about something. Every artist gets that. You have to do what feels right for you and not try to please everyone all the time because no matter what you do some people won't like it.

Sticky and sweet was perfectly balanced , i doint it damages her live reputation besides those UK concerts with production issues

MDNA

the hits were to far away for each on the set list and only 3 recongnisable versions of those EY , Vogue and LAP

Guest Pud Whacker

I'm not actually, but I did acquire the skill to utilize the new technology called "Google Translate" :old:

well that was great!!!

***LONG POST IN RESPONSE TO KURT***

I could be wrong but all people were saying was that Barbra has maintained commercial success into her 70s by knowing how to maximize her "root" appeal... Barbra was never really a provocateur so no one is saying Madonna should put on a frock and sing the classics.

Why did Madonna sell almost 2 million of an album filled with music that (at the time) was toxic to American audiences? She was still provocative and controversial and middle aged wearing skin tight outfits, complete with a video showing off cameltoe and booty. It's becuz she took a formula she knew she was the master of, modernized and perfected it, and once it was released no one could really argue the genius of the music. And mind you, she barely promoted that album stateside and radio just barely supported Hung Up. It was a worldwide smash and she still launched a tour with a headline making crucifixion and plenty of shit about her being too old to wear leotards.

Since then, Madonna has still been making great music but there's still a sense that she is desperately trying to capture an audience that will always turn their nose at her, she's had pointless and preventable gaffes on social media, she's behaved like the ultimate diva on tour and given only a sparing look back at her 80/90s hit roster. What people are saying is that Barbra may not be relevant but she's selling quite a bit of albums at 72 by knowing how to maximize what she has built. Madonna is not selling well becuz of many many things, and at least half of them can be remedied by her being a little more meticulous about how she chooses to represent her legacy and her abilities at 56. Musically, Rebel Heart is mostly the right approach. But with so much noise regarding her image, her touring etiquette, and the constant habit of allowing her social media nonsense to completely gobble up any excitement about her actual music... People are not giving her a chance anymore. She's allowed so many silly things to distract people from her great music. There is precedent for this. It happened in '92, even if we now look at that career nadir (Sex book) as a complete work of genius. She fixed it in '94-'95. It happened in '03, she was boring and put out a laughingstock of a first single and turned off the Bush brigade. She was ahead of the times, but still she fixed it in '05.

You guys may all attack me for pointing some of this stuff out, but if you want an explanation for Barbra then there's my personal take on it. I'm tired of having to make disclaimers for the shit I post so I'll just ignore any response that sounds derogatory. If you wanna talk about this sensibly I'm all ears tho.

Thank you for having the patience to make a synopsis, and for doing it so well and calmly.

Sticky and sweet was perfectly balanced , i doint it damages her live reputation besides those UK concerts with production issues

MDNA

the hits were to far away for each on the set list and only 3 recongnisable versions of those EY , Vogue and LAP

I do agree that she should maybe cut back on the reinventions of the older songs and not change them too much. Do them a little more like the original. She sounded great doing Dress You Up on Ellen. Some artists change their older songs because they have to because they can't sing them like the original. But her voice is still really good. So she can sing them like the original melody and they sound great.

I love the punk renditions of Borderline and Hung Up from S&S! I'd love to see more Punkdonna.

I love the punk renditions of Borderline and Hung Up from S&S! I'd love to see more Punkdonna.

No! I think those guitar punk things became kind of a cliche. Her voice doesn't sound good with electric guitars. I actually thought the arrangements on MDNA were much better in that there were none of those cliched rawk electric guitar reinventions. I like her playing guitar but more of the acoustic things.

Guest Pud Whacker

and Dress You Up. of course, they were fabulous.

I've blocked Pud Whacker so I don't see his posts. I know some people think he's funny but I find him abusive. I think he's ruining this forum but I guess everyone else is okay with that.

My definition of fun is not demeaning other people. To some people here I guess it is. I know it's all supposed to be in fun, but I don't enjoy it and find it dull and tiresome.

Maybe Mr. Whacker will eventually get bored and the forum can return to normal. Until then I won't be posting because he's ruining it for me.

Bye

My definition of fun is not demeaning other people. To some people here I guess it is. I know it's all supposed to be in fun, but I don't enjoy it and find it dull and tiresome.

Maybe Mr. Whacker will eventually get bored and the forum can return to normal. Until then I won't be posting because he's ruining it for me.

Just ignore the prick. He's a Barbra loon, so pity him for needing to force feed us her boring life story and dull songs.

Guest Rachelle of London

What on earth has transpired this weekend? It was fun to watch at the beginning however now it's quite sad to watch.

a #2 on billboard hot 100 and suddenly she released the wrong singles.

we've known the problem all along: it's radio not playing her because she has no real record deal. if her stuff gets played it'll be successful. simple. the work is good and releasing living for love & ghost town are good choices. perfect pop songs. not desperate or any of that shit. if you want things to change complain to guy oseary & liz rosenberg or whoever instead of just whining here and ruining the atmosphere/excitement. (yeah it probably won't do much but at least the right people hear it. here you're just annoying everyone)

funny how some people say she has to look at barbra streisand and do what she does when she's got a career so different from madonna, yet in another topic scream "HOLY WATER!!!!!!!" talk about being bi polar. what the fuck do you want?

I'm gonna be so fucking rich!!!

tumblr_llz277xRUV1qezxsoo1_500.gif

And I can't agree with not enjoying freedom of speech. Pud may be going through some sort mid life crisis or meltdown where he all of a sudden is a Babs loon and gives way too much credit to Cher, but come on, he's been a fan since 1983!

a #2 on billboard hot 100 and suddenly she released the wrong singles.

we've known the problem all along: it's radio not playing her because she has no real record deal. if her stuff gets played it'll be successful. simple. the work is good and releasing living for love & ghost town are good choices. perfect pop songs. not desperate or any of that shit. if you want things to change complain to guy oseary & liz rosenberg or whoever instead of just whining here and ruining the atmosphere/excitement. (yeah it probably won't do much but at least the right people hear it. here you're just annoying everyone)

funny how some people say she has to look at barbra streisand and do what she does when she's got a career so different from madonna, yet in another topic scream "HOLY WATER!!!!!!!" talk about being bi polar. what the fuck do you want?

:clap:

Glinda...please don't leave. You're a great poster, and have great things to contribute.

I'm gonna be so fucking rich!!!

tumblr_llz277xRUV1qezxsoo1_500.gif

And I can't agree with not enjoying freedom of speech. Pud may be going through some sort mid life crisis or meltdown where he all of a sudden is a Babs loon and gives way too much credit to Cher, but come on, he's been a fan since 1983!

ever since she got angry on instagram for the pictures leaking/outtakes he suddenly got angry with her and i remember someone quoting him asking if he was serious.