U.S. Congress Representative Attacks Madonna

iasonas

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2015/03/24/debbie-dingell-madonna/70368012/

http://www.freep.com/story/news/politics/2015/03/24/debbie-dingell-madonna-michigan/70368486/

WASHINGTON – Via Facebook, U.S. Rep. Debbie Dingell this morning took time to rebuke Madonna for comments she has made recently about metro Detroit, one Michigan woman to another.

Madonna, 56, recently told Us Weekly that there was "nothing at all" she missed about growing up in Michigan. In earlier comments on Thursday's "The Howard Stern Show," the singer described the residents of her hometown of Rochester Hills as "basic, provincial thinking people," drawing a response from the city's mayor.

In an interview published by US Weekly, Madonna again criticized Michigan. "I miss absolutely nothing about growing up in Michigan," Madonna told the magazine.

Enough already Madonna! I am probably not being politically correct in someway, (and I am reposting because I forgot the Pistons down below and she just got my me going this am) but I am tired of Madonna and her cheap shots at Michigan and her hometown .....I love this state, the people, my friends (some since grade school),the weather ( yes all four seasons), sports(lions, Tigers, red wings, the pistons, a big ten football game, MSU in the sweet 16) the music ( maybe not hers), the water, floating down the river in an inner tube, freighters, cars, universities, the food and diversity of it, ethnic cultures and neighborhoods, and the realness of the people I know and love...intense, passionate, opinionated.......the ups and downs are life and prepare us for the future....but there is always a community to back you up, try to help and struggle with you in tough times and celebrate good times......but this is my home, my roots, a michigan car girl born and bred and she certainly never learned what the nuns taught me....if you cannot say something nice don't.

Michigan contributed to her success....we don't take shots at her, her style, her life.....so something good must have happened here .....
I am and always will be a Michigan girl, quit bad mouthing us.....!!!!!!

She really needs to stop though.

I didn't care about the Rochester comments since it was part of a very honest interview and I agree with her, but the US Weekly comment was very unnecessary. If you don't miss or care at all about the state and it's so bad why did you send your daughter there? It also undermines what she did for the city of Detroit last summer. The general public here is really done with her and even fans are a bit puzzled by the constant comments which contradict her recent actions and efforts for a long term commitment to the city. Also, be a little nice, you have a show to sell out in Detroit. :lol:

this whole things is so taken out of context. she doesn't miss the experiences she went through as a kid and teenager that associate with MI. I am sure there are people she misses/ feels nostalgic about from MI.

I didn't care about the Rochester comments since it was part of a very honest interview and I agree with her, but the US Weekly comment was very unnecessary. If you don't miss or care at all about the state why did you send your daughter there? It also undermines what she did for the city of Detroit last summer. The general public here is done with her and even fans are a bit puzzled by the constant comments which contradict her recent actions and efforts for a long term commitment to the city. Also, be a little nice, you have a show to sell out in Detroit. :lol:

I think its obviously, in context, that when she says 'Michigan' she means where she grew up (and when she grew up). When I talk about where I grew up, I don't give the cross streets, I say 'Jersey.'

I mean people just have to think a little.

Guest Rachelle of London

Madonna should use this opportunity to raise awareness for the stuff shes doing with Detroit and the Arts Program.

Sorry but the name DEBBIE DINGELL cracked me up at the get go! :laugh:

You know I have talked and talk a lot of shit about the neighborhood I grew up in. I felt the same way she did in school. I wasn't yearning to be like anyone else I just couldn't find anyone who was interesting. I was bored in high school and cut class to go to museums, but mostly go to the library and read.

It's not from a feeling of thinking I was better, it was from a feeling of thinking no one around here gives a damn about anything I think is important or interesting. They willfully limit themselves to work, complaining, watching tv, football, beer.

I know that not everyone in my neighborhood would limit their interests but it sure felt that way and you start to feel like an outsider because everyone over here are all enjoying the same thing and you can't find anyone who is interested in anything that you are. They might be if they dared do anything away from the group once and awhile but most like to stay with the group. So you want to leave.

Madonna left Michigan for a reason! Had she not!!! We wouldn't be having a conversation about Madonna at all nor had the pleasure of having Madonna in our lives for the past 30+ years! End of story!

They are so making something out of nothing. They are completely disregarding the context in which she is saying these things.

They're just upset because she's not parroting the lines a celebrity is supposed to when they come from middle America. It's a script that these types constantly use to pander to the whole "America (and my hometown) is number one/there couldn't be anything bad about us because we're just the gee darndest swellest people there are because we're Americans" mentality...and Madonna simply don't play that bullshit game...so they're pissed.

Good. They should be pissed. If they're getting that defensive, means some aspect of what M said is probably right.

I think its obviously, in context, that when she says 'Michigan' she means where she grew up (and when she grew up). When I talk about where I grew up, I don't give the cross streets, I say 'Jersey.'

I mean people just have to think a little.

That's lacking in a lot of people lately, can't think or a lack of common sense.

She's being asked a question, she answers honestly. Why do they take it so bad if they don't care about her or are so sure they live in a perfect place ? Why do they care ? What do they know about her experience there ? Why should she AGAIN get in line and say what is expected of her to say ? Fuck Rochester ! Fuck Michigan ! She owes them nothing. 40 years later she still has to put up with their provincial thinking. People are allowed to don't like this place and to say it. ERRRR it drives me nuts because it's hitting a nerve in me. FUCK FUCK FUCK them ! qu'ils aillent se faire foutre ces provinciaux de merde ! Pequenauds !

Guest Rachelle of London

I don't get how not having common sense comes into it. Madonna made her comments, the politician that represents there doesn't have the right to respond? It's just like the letter the mayor wrote. No ones disrespecting Madonna. They're standing up for their community, which is kinda their job.

I didn't care about the Rochester comments since it was part of a very honest interview and I agree with her, but the US Weekly comment was very unnecessary. If you don't miss or care at all about the state and it's so bad why did you send your daughter there? It also undermines what she did for the city of Detroit last summer. The general public here is really done with her and even fans are a bit puzzled by the constant comments which contradict her recent actions and efforts for a long term commitment to the city. Also, be a little nice, you have a show to sell out in Detroit. :lol:

You really need to stop though.

So easily swayed and manipulated. You actually seem to dislike Madonna greatly.

Guest ziggy

the singer described the residents of her hometown of Rochester Hills as "basic, provincial thinking people"

She said that? I didn't remember her statements being so condescending. If she actually did say that and it wasn't not taken out of context, I don't blame the politician for getting back at her.

I don't know what madonna said exactly,or the.context,but we all like to think our region/area/city is especial.even though we may know it's not! and,as somebody has said she has to sell a show,so I guess she will say something more as damage control

The problem I have with Madonna critics is that they never apply their brains. That woman sent her most beloved daughter to Michigan. She insisted on it. It was not Lola who woke up and said oh let me leave NYC the hot bed of everything I want to be, not move to LA but go to this Michigan that mom is always moaning about. It was Madonna that sent her daughter there. The heiress to her throne. So, she can not possibly think it is all that bad and if people would think of that they would know not to take her comments so seriously.