Radio 1's boss says he's a Madonna fan but her music isn't good enough now

XXL

da6322f0-be87-11e4-a3c7-b111678a6cb9_mad

If Madonna fancies getting herself back on the Radio 1 playlist, the station's boss has got something of a solution: She just needs to make a 'more relevant' pop song. SIMPLES.

Yep, after all the drama over whether Madge was actually BANNED from their playlist (something they strongly deny), and whether her age was a factor in her exclusion, Radio 1's boss Ben Cooper has tried to clear the whole thing up. Oh, and he is actually a Madonna fan, just FYI.

He's just not living to put her on the playlist. But at least he can justify his (lack of) love. Expressing himself and his reasons for not putting Madonna on the playlist, Ben explained that the decision was 'nothing personal' and was based on the 'merit of the music', :blink::rotfl: adding that they haven't banned her.

The 45-year-old revealed: "I love Madonna. I’ve been to see her concerts several times, and I’ve bought several of her records. "I’ve even got a signed front cover of The Face magazine that she was on, on my wall. :lmao::lmao:

"There’s nothing personal about Madonna. It’s just about the merit of the music an artist is creating at the time. We haven’t banned Madonna. If she comes back with another track…

"We have one of the most democratic playlist committees in the world. It has worked for Madonna for the last 20-odd years. "But with this current record – when it’s a choice between that and, say, Wolf Alice [a 20-something British band] or a new up-and-coming artist, you go, ‘Which is more relevant to a young audience?’"

So there you go. Don't get too hung up on it, Madonna.

Earlier this month, Madonna spoke to The Sun about the reported age snub. The 56-year-old ranted: "When I heard, I was shocked. I was like, ‘Wait a second. Shouldn’t it be to do with whether you wrote a good, catchy pop song?’

"I thought it was so discriminatory and unfair.

"We’ve made so many advances in other areas — civil rights, gay rights — but ageism is still an area that’s taboo and not talked about and dealt with."

In fact, the Queen of Vogue-ing herself reckons it's ruddy difficult for anyone older than 30 to get their songs on the radio these days. She continued: "My manager said to me, ‘If you’re not in your twenties, it’s hard.

"You might get your record played in your thirties. There’s a handful of people who do — Pharrell got lucky. But if you’re in your fifties, you can forget it’.

"Really? Is that how it’s broken down? I’m so stupid. I didn’t know it was anything to do with my age. I just do my work."

Don't be so harsh on yourself, love.

We guess we'll have to see which of Madonna's new songs Radio 1 will deem 'relevant' enough.

Oh I don't have patience for this kind of bullshit...especially hearing the music they play and consider to be "good music"...r-e-t-a-r-d-e-d!

Madonna really is fighting a battle with these ageist and sexist attitudes. I know I might be biased as such a huge fan, but after listening to Rebel Heart continually, have to say that her music is so much better than the stuff radio is playing. Makes his comments even harder to swallow. I am not sure if attitudes will ever change though. Even on every tv show you see, woman are ridiculed for their age. Happens on dramas, comedies. reality shows, soaps - it is part of society and will take a long time to change.

"Really? Is that how its broken down? Im so stupid. I didnt know it was anything to do with my age. I just do my work."

Just to comment on this quote from Madonna.

I can really relate to Madonna on this in a sense that I forget how a lot of people are. I have always related to her living as if everything is as it should be. That more than anything is the reason some get upset at her and others think she is clueless.

I just had another look at their playlist

I was looking for musical merit and could find none at all

Am I missing something perhaps? :blink:

Guest Rachelle of London

Meanwhile RH is going up the charts on itunes at quite a fast rate! I say R1 need to continue giving her free promo this story is on all news sites.

I hope Diplo (who is employed by Radio 1) sees this. His boss has just called the song he produced and co-wrote SHIT. Oh, no, wait - it lacks "musical merit" :lmao: So why is Diplo paid with public money to host his show every week then? Does he lack musical merit?

Ageism is awful in our society and you start feeling it at 25 from entitled teenagers calling you old. Hahahah.

I mean why did we decided to give power to these people ? To have our whole cultural landscape being designed by teenagers ?

If "Living for Love" or just about any song from Rebel Heart for that matter was released by someone younger and "in", it would have the "musical merit" they are looking for. It's so annoying when people can't see past their sad little perspective.

Guest CzarnaWisnia

The argument about quality of music is an obvious blatant lie, Taylor Swift could release the worst song ever and it would still get played, it's automatic, they don't examine the quality of every song sent their way, they just play what's hot. On the other hand, I don't get the big issue here. Radio stations are all based on connecting to a specific audience, therefore they all select and discriminate in some form or another. They don't play folk music on an RnB station, or hardcore rap on a top 40 pop station, etc. They don't play French songs on an English station, nor Polish songs, etc. If Radio 1 aims a certain youth audience, it makes sense that they would not play a single from a 56 year old artist, objectively speaking. The problem might be media convergence, the overwhelming homogeneity of radio and media. If Radio 1 is the most important radio station and it defines somewhat the playlist of many other radio stations in the country, then that is the problem. There should be enough diversity in media to insure access to any artist, and especially active musicians like Madonna who have a huge following, to airwaves.

The fact of the matter is they played her last hit, Celebration. She hasn't had a hit since 2009 so they feel that this validates their argument. Private hit stations like Heart or Kiss haven't played anything new since Celebration either.

Instead of caring about what irrelevant Radio 1 personalities have to say, we need to figure out why other stations apart from Radio2 haven't been playing her since 2009 either. The LFL spins on Capital were a nice surprise though.

I don't understand his definition of relevance and basing it on age. It's interesting he mentioned Wolf Alice, which is actually one of my favorite new bands. I saw them live and they are amazing. I'm in my forties so I don't see how their music only appeals to a y ounger audience. Their music has zero in common with Madonna's music. They are a grunge pop leaning band. So to compare their music to Madonna's is really like comparing apples and oranges. Is he saying Madonna should do guitar based grunge/pop like Wolf Alice to be relevant? I'm really not sure what his point is there.

But I'm pretty sure if someone in their fifties did a grunge/pop song like Wolf Alice does that wouldn't be relevant to him either.

I am not sure if attitudes will ever change though. Even on every tv show you see, woman are ridiculed for their age. Happens on dramas, comedies. reality shows, soaps - it is part of society and will take a long time to change.

Precisely.

The argument about quality of music is an obvious blatant lie, Taylor Swift could release the worst song ever and it would still get played, it's automatic, they don't examine the quality of every song sent their way, they just play what's hot. On the other hand, I don't get the big issue here. Radio stations are all based on connecting to a specific audience, therefore they all select and discriminate in some form or another. They don't play folk music on an RnB station, or hardcore rap on a top 40 pop station, etc. They don't play French songs on an English station, nor Polish songs, etc. If Radio 1 aims a certain youth audience, it makes sense that they would not play a single from a 56 year old artist, objectively speaking. The problem might be media convergence, the overwhelming homogeneity of radio and media. If Radio 1 is the most important radio station and it defines somewhat the playlist of many other radio stations in the country, then that is the problem. There should be enough diversity in media to insure access to any artist, and especially active musicians like Madonna who have a huge following, to airwaves.

Genre is different from an age of an artist. But hey if choosing a certain age group is their thing than put it up in lights and stop giving a song and dance about how they don't discriminate against older artists. An RnB station, Rap station, French Station, and English station are all correctly informing the listener what they are about.

Top 40 pop station doesn't say anything about age.

The fact of the matter is they played her last hit, Celebration. She hasn't had a hit since 2009 so they feel that this validates their argument. Private hit stations like Heart or Kiss haven't played anything new since Celebration either.

Instead of caring about what irrelevant Radio 1 personalities have to say, we need to figure out why other stations apart from Radio2 haven't been playing her since 2009 either. The LFL spins on Capital were a nice surprise though.

Local stations have been playing LFL..Free radio stations in birmingham and other places are now playing GT.

"Musical merit"........ if that's not the biggest pile of stinking bullshit I've ever heard!!!

"Musical merit"........ what the fuck does that even mean? Yeah, it means nothing really...because it's entirely subjective. It's a shitty way for them to say, "we only play what we like (ie. what we think will sell to teenagers and 20-somethings)"...and so they can cover their ass about being able to discriminate about anything they want - and it's more than obvious how they're discriminating in this case.

Oh, and they want to play what's "relevant" to young people, and older artists just aren't "relevant".... uh, YEAH, that's because you assholes don't even give them the chance to remain "relevant" because you've exiled them to Siberia because of their age!!!!!!! It's a cycle THEY have created!!!

If you're a top 40 hits station, and an artist - of ANY age - is making contemporary pop music (with all the same producers of the other music on their radio)...then there is NO reason that artist shouldn't be given an equal chance to be heard on rotation as the other younger ("more relevant") artists. Period. There is NO excuse.

Don't play 'older' artists because they're not making what's contemporary... fine. Relegate them to whatever other station that plays that stuff.

But an 'older' artist (who just so happens to be the most successful female artist of ALL TIME) who is making (and has ALWAYS made) contemporary pop music should have an equal chance of being put on rotation.

There is NO rational reason as to why they shouldn't...even if you are catering to young music buyers. (That's why said artist is making CONTEMPORARY pop music).

They are full of shit. Period.

("Musical merit"..... yeah, like Taylor Swift, One Direction, and Som Smeet are the definition of "Musical merit".... ta loca).

So according to Radio 1, "Celebration" had musical merit, but "Living For Love" doesn't? WTF?! O.o

Just shift the focus and ask yourself the question "Is Radio One relevant or does it have merit in my mind?". Who cares about this radio station, or any other for that matter? Madonna's chart riding days are mostly behind her. It would be hypocritical for us as fans to expect Radio One to play her new stuff just based upon the fact that she is Madonna, which is the other side of the coin in this debate. They are blatently expressing that they have a target audience and a set criteria that Madonna doesn't correspond to. I know initially I found this irritating, but it is honest at least. The Radio One listener is interested in new, corporate-sponsored pop (a broad term) that is relatable from a perspective of youth culture. Madonna is not predominantly viewed as a part of youth culture. If you can't see that, you are probably struggling with getting older yourself. Simple as that. It doesn't mean that there isn't a large majority of people who would gladly hear a new catchy Madonna tune in passing, but those people aren't listening to Radio One! Is it ageist? In a certain light, yes. Is it unfair? Sure, because being playlisted on Radio One gets an act a lot of guaranteed exposure to the zeitgeist generation on the current pedestal. That said, Madonna's core audience is probably getting their music from much more sophisticated outlets than mainstream radio. We win!

Ageism is awful in our society and you start feeling it at 25 from entitled teenagers calling you old. Hahahah.

I mean why did we decided to give power to these people ? To have our whole cultural landscape being designed by teenagers ?

because their income is fully disposable and they don't yet have an instinct telling them to be thrifty and not give in to impulses to buy things.

Just shift the focus and ask yourself the question "Is Radio One relevant or does it have merit in my mind?". Who cares about this radio station, or any other for that matter? Madonna's chart riding days are mostly behind her. It would be hypocritical for us as fans to expect Radio One to play her new stuff just based upon the fact that she is Madonna, which is the other side of the coin in this debate. They are blatently expressing that they have a target audience and a set criteria that Madonna doesn't correspond to. I know initially I found this irritating, but it is honest at least. The Radio One listener is interested in new, corporate-sponsored pop (a broad term) that is relatable from a perspective of youth culture.

Madonna is not predominantly viewed as a part of youth culture. If you can't see that, you are probably struggling with getting older yourself. Simple as that. It doesn't mean that there isn't a large majority of people who would gladly hear a new catchy Madonna tune in passing, but those people aren't listening to Radio One! Is it ageist? In a certain light, yes. Is it unfair? Sure, because being playlisted on Radio One gets an act a lot of guaranteed exposure to the zeitgeist generation on the current pedestal. That said, Madonna's core audience is probably getting their music from much more sophisticated outlets than mainstream radio. We win!

I get what you mean but they are justifying their choice by talking about musical merit while simultaneously stressing out that "it's nothing personal". The musical merit argument immediately invalidates the premise that maybe "they are blatently expressing that they have a target audience and a set criteria that Madonna doesn't correspond to." simply because most of the stuff they DO play has not this outstanding musical merit they are brandishing as an excuse.

This

I hope Diplo (who is employed by Radio 1) sees this. His boss has just called the song he produced and co-wrote SHIT. Oh, no, wait - it lacks "musical merit" :lmao: So why is Diplo paid with public money to host his show every week then? Does he lack musical merit?

Exactly :rotfl:

It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever

Meanwhile RH is going up the charts on itunes at quite a fast rate!

I say R1 need to continue giving her free promo this story is on all news sites.

IKR they've released the same statement 50 times in the span of two months

It's seriously starting to sound like a broken "Piers Morgan Madonna is banned" record

Nothing personal of course

He even has her autograph! or whatever he said :lmao:

I get what you mean but they are justifying their choice by talking about musical merit while simultaneously stressing out that "it's nothing personal". The musical merit argument immediately invalidates the premise that maybe "they are blatently expressing that they have a target audience and a set criteria that Madonna doesn't correspond to." simply because most of the stuff they DO play has not this outstanding musical merit they are brandishing as an excuse.

You are totally correct! But I think that only counts from our perspective. To their listeners, what they play is obviously what appeals to them because they continue listening. I think it is a huge mistake for them to dwell on the issue and keep blabbering on about it, particularly as the BBC remains an old white male patriarchy on many levels. It certainly doesn't do Madonna any harm. What they are essentially saying is that their tactics are exploitative, and openly so.

Well, in 20 years time, they will treat those current poppies the same as the treated M with this attitude. (If they can last that long...)

If they can do it to her, they can definitely do it to the rest too!!