MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
justinian

Goodbye, math and history Finland wants to abandon teaching subjects at school

Finland wants to abandon teaching subjects at school

Finland already has one of the best school education systems. It always ranks near the top in mathematics, reading, and science in the prestigious PISA rankings (the 2012 list, pdf) by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. Teachers in other countries flock to its schools to learn from a country that is routinely praised as just a really, really wonderful place to live.

But the country is not resting on its laurels. Finland is considering its most radical overhaul of basic education yet—abandoning teaching by subject for teaching by phenomenon. Traditional lessons such as English Literature and Physics are already being phased out among 16-year-olds in schools in Helsinki.

Instead, the Finns are teaching phenomena—such as the European Union, which encompasses learning languages, history, politics, and geography. No more of an hour of history followed by an hour of chemistry. The idea aims to eliminate one of the biggest gripes of students everywhere: “What is the point of learning this?” Now, each subject is anchored to the reason for learning it.

Pasi Silander, Helsinki’s development manager, says the world has changed with the spread of technology and many of the old ways of teaching have no practical purpose. “Young people use quite advanced computers,” he told the Independent. “In the past the banks had lots of bank clerks totting up figures but now that has totally changed.”

Many teachers in Finland, many of whom have been teaching single subjects their whole careers, oppose the changes. It is not hard to see why. The new system is much more collaborative, forcing teachers from different areas to come up with the curriculum together. Marjo Kyllonen, Helsinki’s education manager and the person responsible for reforming the system in the capital, calls this “co-teaching” and teachers who agree to it get a small bonus on top of their salaries.

Kyllonen told the Independent: “There are schools that are teaching in the old fashioned way which was of benefit in the beginnings of the 1900s—but the needs are not the same and we need something fit for the 21st century.”

Later this month, she is proposing that the new system is rolled out across the whole country by 2020. Will the rest of the world follow the Finns’ lead?

Justianian, Very interesting reading that article. Sad to see English Literature go. Was one of my favourite subjects all throughout school.

These bitches are always ahead. Just do what they say & ask questions later. :fag:

Mmmm interesting, I hope they get an 'opt in' part though just incase there was a child with a specific path in life to go on. Im sure the Finns will work it all out.

So they abandoning math & science and embrace history, politics & geography + relying on computers?

Good luck.

So they abandoning math & science and embrace history, politics & geography + relying on computers?

Good luck.

This is the point. The whole argument with "using computers" is absolutely ridiculous. And they even claim the immense developement to prove their point. Well, where is this development and progress coming from? Certainly not from people googling for answers! Especially when those people do not know how to evaluate information. For every right answer there are ten wrong ones available in the www. How are people, especially young people without any broader knowledge supposed to figure things out. And what has guaranteed a broader knowledge so far, a classical education. An education that also teaches you how to learn, how to acquire knowledge on you own by making your own studies. Even discipline. Now they wanna throw this overboard? Indeed. Good Luck.

I have a lot of problems with this. NOt only with this, but with the other big change that they were thinking about (students that don´t need to learn how to write, because it will be all done using computers.

First of all, I wonder which is the 5 of the people in the world that don´t use computers.what are they do with them?

second, which type of children are we talking about? I mean, which is the year gap? until they are 12 years old, in spain have subjects, but are different as the ones I used to learn.For example, there´s not such thing as History, it´s called knowledge of the environment.In maths the don´t use the calculator, but they try to use the maths for real life situations. And the same with other classes.The thing is: I don´t want my children to think that history is what is on wikipedia, or use a calculator all the time, or...I want them to learn to think, and sometimes you need a paper an a pen, and sometimes (not always) you need to learn by heart something,sometimes...

and we have to think also about the difference between the cultures, what it may work in Filand maybe is not good for spain...

anyways,, I simply don´t trust the OECD as a child´s educator.As simple as that

Justianian, Very interesting reading that article. Sad to see English Literature go. Was one of my favourite subjects all throughout school.

thanks to this your vocabulary I´m sure that improved a lot, and you are better understanding complicated texts

These bitches are always ahead. Just do what they say & ask questions later. :fag:

they are waaaaaay ahead of other european countries in the suicides top 40: maybe they should have a subject in the schools to learn about being happy...o wait, that was called "ethics" when I was 12...but doesn´t sound cool, I guess

I think all these changes in the school system are fucking up the education of a lot of children

They way I read it was that Literature would be incorporated into broader concepts that leads to the answer, "Why are we learning this?"

They way I read it was that Literature would be incorporated into broader concepts that leads to the answer, "Why are we learning this?"

and that would make sense, but again, they woould have something called english literature as a subject

thanks to this your vocabulary I´m sure that improved a lot, and you are better understanding complicated texts

perhaps in some kind of future there won't be anything too complicated to be understood, to be stated...a blandworld...a ghostworld...where computers will do everything; but I am wondering who will then, do the computers?!

Isn't this the same school system that produced Rose Nylen.

Anyhoo, I think it's cool. Seriously how many of us utilize the shit we learn in school once out in the work force? The fact is we are never really fully prepared once we leave school / uni / tafe for the workforce and learn most about our job / life once out in the real world. I think it's great and will prepare students to adapt a lot easier to life once they finish education.

Isn't this the same school system that produced Rose Nylen.

Anyhoo, I think it's cool. Seriously how many of us utilize the shit we learn in school once out in the work force? The fact is we are never really fully prepared once we leave school / uni / tafe for the workforce and learn most about our job / life once out in the real world. I think it's great and will prepare students to adapt a lot easier to life once they finish education.

again, who will do the computers? who will control that the things that we find there are true or false? who will...

again, who will do the computers? who will control that the things that we find there are true or false? who will...

Google but of course :)

But it is about teaching children what is fact and what is fiction on the web and how to tell them apart. Maybe researching and reading published academic transcripts, rather then say the lady gaga thread at Madonnanation for facts / truth :)

Finnish system will collapse in its own stupidity. The whole PISA Education test is a joke and only gives a lack of confidence to those countries that fail it. I don't agree with most of that, even though it's pretty clear that we need a severe change in education. But i wonder what will happen with those Finnish when they reach University and lack so many knowledge and i doubt that Finnish University relies on Wikipedia, they have to have a base of knowledge when they reach University.

Finnish system will collapse in its own stupidity. The whole PISA Education test is a joke and only gives a lack of confidence to those countries that fail it. I don't agree with most of that, even though it's pretty clear that we need a severe change in education. But i wonder what will happen with those Finnish when they reach University and lack so many knowledge and i doubt that Finnish University relies on Wikipedia, they have to have a base of knowledge when they reach University.

Exactly!!!