The 2nd date additions thread. 2nd London O2 date finally added!!

Ai Papi Si.

She sticks to the same tried and tested markets because that they know they can charge top dollar for tickets. They are are very affluent cities with people with a lot of disposable income.

And what are Australians and Asian folk, peasants on minimal wages?

You don't hear us crying poor like the Greeks, Spanish, Portugese etc or whatever those loser countries are needing billions of dollars to bail them out because there countrymen love welfare more than working, and politicians who cannot manage a budget. Every other major star comes to these shores and makes millions off of us, and charging top dollar. Madonna and Guy are just ignorant :)

Guest Rachelle of London

I swear she's going Australia on this tour though it was on the press release that Australia and South East Asia would get the rebel heart tour so....

NY Post is now reporting on this:

http://nypost.com/2015/03/13/new-madonna-tour-sales-more-sticky-than-sweet/

New Madonna tour sales more sticky than sweet

By Richard Morgan

March 13, 2015 | 10:10pm

Madonna’s “Rebel Heart Tour” might better be called “Like a Has-Been.”

The Material Girl plans to play a total of 35 cities between Aug. 29 and Dec. 20, while two additional shows have already been added in Europe.

But tickets are not selling as briskly as for her “MDNA” tour in 2012, leaving thousands of unsold seats in the eight North American cities that began selling tickets on March 9.

In 2012, Madonna reportedly sold out Yankee Stadium in 20 minutes, prompting concert promoter Live Nation to add a second date at the 60,000-seat venue.

Live Nation also added two nights at Madison Square Garden that weren’t initially a part of the “MDNA” tour.

Its 88 sold-out shows drew 2.2 million attendees and grossed more than $305 million, making it the highest-grossing tour of 2012, according to Billboard.

The performer also holds the record for the highest-grossing tour by a solo artist, achieved in 2008 and 2009 while on the road for “Sticky & Sweet.”

Madonna isn’t attempting to fill Yankee Stadium this time but, in New York, scheduled Madison Square Garden for Sept. 16 and Barclays Center for Sept. 19. Rather than sell out in minutes, however, both venues are still offering tickets five days after they were put up for sale.

Ticketmaster, a Live Nation division, doesn’t quantify how many of Barclay Center’s 18,000 seats are still available. But a look at the online map for the venue reveals row after row for Madonna’s “Rebel Heart” remain unsold.

Madison Square Garden doesn’t have an online map feature but would-be ticket buyers can still turn to the site to purchase highly coveted lower-level seats.

Moreover, ticket reseller StubHub had 2,346 previously sold tickets back on the market Friday for Madonna’s Barclay Center show and 1,803 tickets for the Madison Square Garden stop.

Arthur Fogel, Live Nation’s president of global touring, denied a slow start for “Rebel Heart.”

“We’re thrilled with the performance of ticket sales to date, and we’ve no doubt this tour will perform to the level of previous record-breaking tours,” he said.

Until all seats are filled, though, an extra date at either New York venue makes no sense.

But those so-called add-ons provide a hefty economic boost to major tours in that the stage — already set up for a single show — requires very little in extra costs.

“A tour with a budget like [Madonna’s] counts on adding on second and third nights in markets,” the industry veteran said. “That’s why it’s scheduled with lots of empty dates in major markets.”

It’s not clear whether the tour’s enticing promotion — a 25-song digital version of “Rebel Heart” for each ticket purchased online — will make up for the slow start.

So far, first-week sales of the CD released on March 6 are expected to total 125,000, according to Billboard, less than half “MDNA’s” first-week sales of 360,000.

It's the ticket prices and maybe a bit of fallout from the bad PR of her very late starts circa MDNA

I don't care what anyone says, tickets are pricier this time around. Yes, top prices are the same, but you're paying top price for seats that were at one point hundreds of dollars less.

NY Post is now reporting on this:

http://nypost.com/2015/03/13/new-madonna-tour-sales-more-sticky-than-sweet/

New Madonna tour sales more sticky than sweet

By Richard Morgan

March 13, 2015 | 10:10pm

Madonna’s “Rebel Heart Tour” might better be called “Like a Has-Been.”

The Material Girl plans to play a total of 35 cities between Aug. 29 and Dec. 20, while two additional shows have already been added in Europe.

But tickets are not selling as briskly as for her “MDNA” tour in 2012, leaving thousands of unsold seats in the eight North American cities that began selling tickets on March 9.

In 2012, Madonna reportedly sold out Yankee Stadium in 20 minutes, prompting concert promoter Live Nation to add a second date at the 60,000-seat venue.

Live Nation also added two nights at Madison Square Garden that weren’t initially a part of the “MDNA” tour.

Its 88 sold-out shows drew 2.2 million attendees and grossed more than $305 million, making it the highest-grossing tour of 2012, according to Billboard.

The performer also holds the record for the highest-grossing tour by a solo artist, achieved in 2008 and 2009 while on the road for “Sticky & Sweet.”

Madonna isn’t attempting to fill Yankee Stadium this time but, in New York, scheduled Madison Square Garden for Sept. 16 and Barclays Center for Sept. 19. Rather than sell out in minutes, however, both venues are still offering tickets five days after they were put up for sale.

Ticketmaster, a Live Nation division, doesn’t quantify how many of Barclay Center’s 18,000 seats are still available. But a look at the online map for the venue reveals row after row for Madonna’s “Rebel Heart” remain unsold.

Madison Square Garden doesn’t have an online map feature but would-be ticket buyers can still turn to the site to purchase highly coveted lower-level seats.

Moreover, ticket reseller StubHub had 2,346 previously sold tickets back on the market Friday for Madonna’s Barclay Center show and 1,803 tickets for the Madison Square Garden stop.

Arthur Fogel, Live Nation’s president of global touring, denied a slow start for “Rebel Heart.”

“We’re thrilled with the performance of ticket sales to date, and we’ve no doubt this tour will perform to the level of previous record-breaking tours,” he said.

Until all seats are filled, though, an extra date at either New York venue makes no sense.

But those so-called add-ons provide a hefty economic boost to major tours in that the stage — already set up for a single show — requires very little in extra costs.

“A tour with a budget like [Madonna’s] counts on adding on second and third nights in markets,” the industry veteran said. “That’s why it’s scheduled with lots of empty dates in major markets.”

It’s not clear whether the tour’s enticing promotion — a 25-song digital version of “Rebel Heart” for each ticket purchased online — will make up for the slow start.

So far, first-week sales of the CD released on March 6 are expected to total 125,000, according to Billboard, less than half “MDNA’s” first-week sales of 360,000.

I knew this was going to happen.We'll see media stories like this,proclaiming the tour is already a "flop".I think the super high prices are to blame.Still,I think the shows will sellout....just not very quickly.

They have like 1/2 a year to sell those seats and reprice those seats to get them moving! It's ridiculous that seats which were price level 2 and even price level 3 on previous tours there are now price level 1!

I remember I was at a gay bar a few months ago and a large group of gays was talking about tours and pop stars and many of them who you could say are casual fans said they are not going to any of her tours anymore because she let them wait for 3 hours and finished the concert at 1am on a weekday.

If gay guys who enjoy her music say that, imagine what the general public might think.

I remember I thought about trying to intervene, but I realized that I did not have a strong argument to defend her... I just didn't bother... :(

Confessions and Re-Invention were the epitome of smoothness and no complaints. Arenas and on stage by 8:45. Everyone happy.

At least, most Americans drive their own cars and can get home anytime they want. I was at the Sticky and Sweet show in London on 9/11/2008 and everyone was sooo pissed off with the sound quality and all that. And then on top of that because the show ended sort of late, the tube shut down and everyone was left behind not knowing how to get home. :lol: We ran very fast and caught the last train, but the thousands of people who were left people had to figure out a way to get taxis or night buses. It took them like 4-5 hours to get home. Seriously, that night was so damaging for Madonna in London. And then Hyde Park was another nail in the coffin.

I think it's a combination of things:

1. Tickets are expensive and she has saturated so many markets time and time again.

2. She kept people waiting so late last time. Who wants to see her on a work night now when she might not come on until almost midnight?

3. The new album is off to a weak start (lead single tanked almost everywhere) - there isn't much incentive to listen to new material and everyone knows now that she doesn't focus on old hits as much.

All these things were bound to affect the sales. Of course, I always want M to be successful, but what did she and Live Nation expect?

They really should've kicked the tour off in Australia or SE Asia. The tickets would've sold quick and created some hype. I'd be surprised if most of the North America dates had second shows added (any time soon, anyway).

I remember I was at a gay bar a few months ago and a large group of gays was talking about tours and pop stars and many of them who you could say are casual fans said they are not going to any of her tours anymore because she let them wait for 3 hours and finished the concert at 1am on a weekday.

If gay guys who enjoy her music say that, imagine what the general public might think.

I remember I thought about trying to intervene, but I realized that I did not have a strong argument to defend her... I just didn't bother... :(

Confessions and Re-Invention were the epitome of smoothness and no complaints. Arenas and on stage by 8:45. Everyone happy.

At least, most Americans drive their own cars and can get home anytime they want. I was at the Sticky and Sweet show in London on 9/11/2008 and everyone was sooo pissed off with the sound quality and all that. And then on top of that because the show ended sort of late, the tube shut down and everyone was left behind not knowing how to get home. :lol: We ran very fast and caught the last train. After that, the thousands of people who were left people had to figure out a way to get taxis or night buses. It took them like 4-5 hours to get home. Seriously, that night was so damaging for Madonna in London. And then Hyde Park was another nail in the coffin.

I've been a fan for twenty years, but that would really make me furious. I wouldn't go to another concert of hers again, either.

At least, most Americans drive their own cars and can get home anytime they want. I was at the Sticky and Sweet show in London on 9/11/2008 and everyone was sooo pissed off with the sound quality and all that. And then on top of that because the show ended sort of late, the tube shut down and everyone was left behind not knowing how to get home. :lol: We ran very fast and caught the last train, but the thousands of people who were left people had to figure out a way to get taxis or night buses. It took them like 4-5 hours to get home. Seriously, that night was so damaging for Madonna in London. And then Hyde Park was another nail in the coffin.

I was at that show too, but I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I chalked it up to a stadium experience that the sound was sub-par to arenas, and somehow I ran fast enough to make it on the Tube also. I don't really remember what happened afterwards. :laugh: S&S at the O2 was night and day though. Then I was like, THIS is the Madonna I remembered!

They really should've kicked the tour off in Australia or SE Asia. The tickets would've sold quick and created some hype. I'd be surprised if most of the North America dates had second shows added (any time soon, anyway).

Hype matters. As big a fan as I am, I almost didn't go to MDNA because the album was so lackluster. But then I saw the European shows and I remembered how great M is live and regretted doubting her. I ended up going to several shows. I think North America has always had a chance to see how the show evolved for the past few tours, which helped sales greatly.

But the start time was really the most damaging, especially in certain markets. People who work and can afford the best tickets have important things to do with their time too, and time waiting is time not at work. Just because someone is a fan doesn't mean all fans prioritize M over their careers. Many people had to leave work early to go to her shows and/or go back to work afterwards, and the lack of notice on the face of the ticket was disrespectful all around.

I suspect some dates will just be cancelled. Didn't someone say the Detroit show just disappeared?

The fact that they are in the fall not summer and during the weekdays won't help.

Touring during the fall is a non-issue. I think Madonna (and camp) SERIOUSLY underestimated the damage they were doing with all of those 10:45-11:00 start times. I remember Ellen interviewing Madonna asking about her late concert times and Madonna replied that she doesn't "waste a second" of her day. That's fine and all, but you were starting at normal times the previous tour. I don't know what was up with her during MDNA. The tour is her grandest live achievement (IMO), but the crazy disregard for the fans was excessive even for her.

I also remember when the Miami fiasco happened and I got brutally slaughtered on this forum for saying that it's pretty ridiculous to have an 8PM start time on your ticket and yet not start your show until 11:15. People were leaving the arena and going to get refunds. There was a MASSIVE LINE of ppl waiting outside at the ticket booths. Members on here laughed and said that Madonna's "tardy moments" would be well forgotten in a year, that people from Miami are stupid, and that her charging $350 for level 2 seats is clearly fine for her and will be sustainable.

Well here we are 3 years later and we have people talking about the days when she could sell out 2 nights at Yankee Stadium and here we are talking about 2 arena dates.

Best remedy for this is Madonna getting a serious hit out of Ghosttown. If not then this tour is gonna be a pretty small affair.

If she pulls a Xtincta Acupuncture/Kelly Clarkson (2 examples of ppl who had to embarrassingly scale down entire tours cuz demand was NON EXISTENT amid bad or simply non-existent hype)… it's gonna be really shitty.

Another factor that is playing a part in ticket sales being sluggish is her setlists. Her new music is not selling like it

used to. LFL and the singles from the last album flopped almost everywhere. Casual fans and the general public do not want to go to a show and listen to songs they are unfamiliar with or classic songs that are reinvented so they are almost unrecognisable to them.

If her new music continues to underperform then she will struggle to sell tickets unless she includes more classic songs.

I know so many people who went the last show and said half of the setlist bored them. It leaves an impression on people and they are reluctant to shell out top dollar again.

Oh and why did they not think that starting the show ridiculously late wasn't going to make people think twice about paying to see her again?

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/11/20/anger-frustration-at-madonnas-miami-concert/

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/08/29/madonna-booed-after-taking-stage-hours-late-in-philadelphia/

Yeah, that too. Although that stuff is always remedied if she has 1 big hit. I really feel that's why she was able to get away with the set lists during Perfections and S&S. Confessions had Hung Up which was so huge everywhere, and S&S had 4 Minutes which was also huge. MDNA did wonderfully in the US thanks to the colossal exposure of the Super Bowl (without it, I doubt it would have sold as frantically as it did), but was shaky in Europe becuz her MDNA songs flopped. So I think there's definitely a pattern with that.

Another factor that is playing a part in ticket sales being sluggish is her setlists. Her new music is not selling like it

used to. LFL and the singles from the last album flopped almost everywhere. Casual fans and the general public do not want to go to a show and listen to songs they are unfamiliar with or classic songs that are reinvented so they are almost unrecognisable to them.

If her new music continues to underperform then she will struggle to sell tickets unless she includes more classic songs.

I know so many people who went the last show and said half of the setlist bored them. It leaves an impression on people and they are reluctant to shell out top dollar again.

Oh and why did they not think that starting the show ridiculously late wasn't going to make people think twice about paying to see her again?

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/11/20/anger-frustration-at-madonnas-miami-concert/

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/08/29/madonna-booed-after-taking-stage-hours-late-in-philadelphia/

OMG AT THE VIDEOS!

OMG AT THE VIDEOS!

Yep. She has bad word of mouth from the last tour from casual fans and the general public.

I really don't think her team have a clue how pisssed off people were.

Can't blame those Miami fans for being majorly pissed off after M started extremely late, but I understand the filming of the DVD did not help at all. I have a feeling M will start the shows more on time for RH unless she starts getting burnt out for whatever reason.

Ticketmaster also has so many angry reviews of the MDNA shows! It does look bad, but hopefully won't deter people from buying tickets.

Guest ziggy

Wait what's going on? Is the tour not selling at all?

It's selling but not selling out at the rate we've come to expect from her tours. It'll all go down fine in the end though.

Edited by ziggy

You all here need to complain to Guy and Livenation...

I did! I sent several emails to Live Nation about the sound problems at S&S Wembley. They refused to acknowledge that were any problems. They simply weren't interested.