New interview with Refinery 29, feminism discussion [merged]

Good interview, but I don't agree with her that men never get shit for being openly sexual after a certain age. If a man in his fifties or sixties is dating a woman in her twenties, he's treated like some evil predator who is abusing a young girl. "Creepy" is the word I hear being used an awful lot to describe older men who are openly sexual.

True, women do get it a lot worse and people are more vocal then, but to say men don't get it at all just isn't true.

I understand what you mean, but can't really fully agree.

Boys and men all over the world look up to people like Hugh Hefner and dream about having that kind of life, but you bet they'd drag Madonna through the dirt for dating a 25-year old.

Men are also appreciated for "aging like fine wine" a lot, cause men very often are supposed to perhaps look slightly imperfect and rough to get further sexual cred. This is rarely something said about women, as they are supposed to look perfect and have a squeaky-clean image as soon as they enter their teens.

Doesn't really leave much room for aging women to be appreciated for their natural looks. And then, as we see with M all the time, they get punished for trying to fit in with the ideal looks society has set up for women. It's an awful paradox.

I'd personally like to see the entire social norm of acting your age just die and go away, for people to be able to love and get involved with people of any (legal) age, but it's gonna be a hard and long struggle and I'm glad Madonna isn't afraid to lead it.

I see A LOT of slut-shaming and ageism in the gay/LGBT culture though...especially with gay men towards other gay men. I'm not saying it's on the same level of women in general...but it is its own thing...and it only seems to get worse as gay men age. Again, not saying it's the same exact thing...but there are some definite parallels.