I got my album at Walmart today. I also listened to Super-deluxe version online. I should say I cannot even express how disappointed I am with the album. Demos were great, and I can't even believe what they have done to those - final versions are not even half as good! My biggest disappointments are Beautiful Scars, Borrowed Time, and Holy Water - all were my favourite demos, now I will just skip them, and continue with the demo versions. At least, they haven't spoiled Ghosttown!

Okay first of all, I bought the deluxe version, not the super duper fold-out edition. Two reasons, well 3 actually. I wanted the main B&W cover w/ that picture, my personal fave of the 3 cover art. Second, I didn't want to deal w/ 2 CDs like MDNA; just pop it in and get the whole experience in one. Third, I can always get those additional tracks later. I may end up buying the deluxe used or something. They wanted nearly $30 for that new. I can wait and listen to additional ones on Youtube.

Before I break it down, let me just say that I do not outright hate or even truly dislike any song on this album. Pretty remarkable considering there's only 3 other studio Madonna albums where this has been the case: ROL, Music, Confessions.

These are my top (realistic) SINGLE CHOICES: The ones that really stand out (favorites) AND could be potential singles as well...

Ghosttown- Well we got this one. The chorus is powerful and there's no reason, other than agism or conspiracy (w/e), that this shouldn't be a big hit. It's like a lot of other lush pop songs ONLY BETTER. I want remixes NOW.

Unapologetic Bitch- This has been my new Madonna jam since December and there it remains. Remixes & video. NOW.

Bitch I'm Madonna- Proud member of TEAM REBEL, I'm convinced this could go Number 1. Remixes. Video. Tour Opener. NOW.

Inside Out- Wow this changed quite a bit from the demo but I love them both. Madonna's vocals are what I loved most about it (the chorus especially is very melodic which is exactly what I look for and typically get in a great M song) and her vocal delivery wasn't really changed, if at all. The music on the album version is lush and beautiful. The chorus brings it home for me. Currently rivaling UB as my top favorite on the album.

Let me jump to my least favorites b4 reviewing the others which are harder to place:

Living For Love- A couple of remixes (DJ Paulo, StoneBridge) warmed me up but it remains one of the weaker songs on the album imo. No, not my opinion, FACT. It's unfortunate that this was chosen as the all-important lead. Great video though!

Devil Pray- Not looking for this as a single at all. I'm concerned she's already performed it. Hope it goes away only bc there's so much better stuff on this record.

Joan Of Arc- Just not my cup of tea. Too generic, light, poppy, simple, and slow. Once again I don't hate it though. It's Madonna. Anyone else and I probably would dislike it. That's just the way it goes in my little head. I hear something like this playing at Kohl's lol.

Messiah- I heard it and now I'm done.

Body Shop- What? lol. I kept asking myself, Why is she singing like that? It's cute though. IDK. I found myself kinda giggling. For Madonna it's just weird to me.

MORE POSSIBLE SINGLE CHOICES OR NOT REALLY SINGLE MATERIAL

BUT I WOULD DEFINITELY LIKE IF THEY WERE LOL:

Rebel Heart- When it started I didn't really like it but then the song really opens up. I see this as turning into something like Don't Tell Me; something I wouldn't immediately tag as a song I'd come to respect as a proper Madonna single but, in time after she works her visual magic, it absolutely is. I'm keeping my eye on this song lol and ain't saying shit bad about it for fear of eating my words later. Interesting that it's the title track but last on the album.

Wash All Over Me- One of the few demos I heard. The strings I loved in the demo are gone or really buried. I like it but, DARE I SAY, as of right now prefer the demo. It doesn't matter. Make it a single girl. I'm down.

Hold Tight- Lush beautiful strings. It's got IDM vibes. Not EDM.. IDM (intelligent dance music, which is an underground genre from the 90s).

Iconic- Great beat at parts. Mike Tyson's vocal absolutely works. I want remixes NOW. The title ain't single material imo.

Best Night- "You can call me M tonight" :dramatic: "I'll make this the best night of your life" Her chants on this remind me of Justify My Love. I mean, her voice sounds THE EXACT SAME. Strangely this is the only song I had to go back and listen to bc I forgot it after first listening. Don't know why, IT'S MADONNA LIFE (I may have to actually move this to the main single choices section).

Veni Vidi Vici- She goes through her whole career in lyrics. It's awesome and cleverly done. Not really looking for remixes but of course I'd take them lol.Nas. I don't give 2-shits about rap these days but this guy is good. "I came, I saw, I conquered." Nice lyric from M but her delivery overall is a tad flat.

Holy Water- I heard snippets of this b4 buying the album (Bitch get off my pole) and was fully expecting to LOVE it. Now, having heard it merely "like it a lot." It's the chorus, I'm not digging it and drags the song down. The Vogue sample fully welcomed though.

I don't see these as singles at all, but I like them:

S.E.X.- Really mom? Yes, really. I like it. She'll do this on tour for sure lol. At the very least the title takes it out of contention as a single choice.

Illuminati- The title takes it out of contention for a single choice. It's okay I guess.

Heartbreak City- This one is hard to place for me right now. It's either GLORIOUS or meh. I honestly don't know. I'll have to listen a couple times. I can also see this on tour and being a real intense crowd-pleaser though.

Final Thoughts:

808 BOOM!! all over this record. Hell yes! Wonderful bottom frequencies. You can't go wrong w/ the Roland 808. This album is gonna sound great on tour. I want remixes NOW.. w/ 808 BOOM!! (and 909) :) and claps and high-hats lol.

Also wanna say I was not expecting this album to be so.. lush. That's the word I keep coming back to. It's gotta rich sound. After hearing all the crazy screechy sounds and weird sequencing on Bitch I'm Madonna I thought it would be a lot more silliness but it's not. It's a very good album. A nice solid Madonna album.

As of right now I'm giving Rebel Heart 4/5. I might've gone as high as 4.5 if not for damn Living For Love (See how those single choices influence me?). As w/ MDNA, her singles choices are really gonna slant this era for me to "really nice and acceptable" to OUTRIGHT FUCKING AMAZING. I honestly don't see how we don't have an excellent Madonna era ahead of us. She's got the material. PUT IT OUT.

Good job, M :thumbsup:

Sloane! I loved reading your thoughtful and well-written review! Thank you for posting this; I had been awaiting your comments. But girl, you did not just brush off Messiah!!!!

Totally with you on Inside Out and Best Night!

All this waiting and now it's finally here.

I'm so glad I didn't listen to any of the album demos. Beautiful Scars is slayyyyyyyyyying me. It's got me in tears. I will listen to the demo some other time.

I actually like every song. My least favorite is probably Iconic.

All this waiting and now it's finally here.

I'm so glad I didn't listen to any of the album demos. Beautiful Scars is slayyyyyyyyyying me. It's got me in tears. I will listen to the demo some other time.

I actually like every song. My least favorite is probably Iconic.

Yep, slayed by Beautiful Scars too.

Yep, slayed by Beautiful Scars too.

Some of the best lyrics she's ever written.

I can't stop listening. I love the disco feel it has too.

My imperfections make me unique, that's my belief...

What I bought today:

2 tickets to the Vegas show

A room at the MGM Grand

Rebel Heart deluxe

Rebel Heart super deluxe

Rebel Heart vinyl

Living For Love import single

Rolling Stone magazine

MOJO magazine

So broke!!

...but happy.

In the middle of my second listen of the deluxe. These are the standouts for me:

Living For Love
Devil Pray
Ghosttown
Illuminati
Hold Tight
Joan of Arc
Heartbreak City
Inside Out
Wash All Over Me
Veni Vidi Vici
Messiah
Rebel Heart

My least favorites probably are "Holy Water" and "S.E.X."

In the middle of my second listen of the deluxe. These are the standouts for me:

Living For Love

Devil Pray

Ghosttown

Illuminati

Hold Tight

Joan of Arc

Heartbreak City

Inside Out

Wash All Over Me

Veni Vidi Vici

Messiah

Rebel Heart

My least favorites probably are "Holy Water" and "S.E.X."

We have VERY similar taste. You've listed my favorites with the exception of the fact that I am in love with Holy Water and would swap Illuminati for Best Night.

Guest CzarnaWisnia

only Autotune Baby in Germany..Queen didn't get released anywhere..

a guy in another forum says he got the album from Amazon with Queen on it

Madonna%20Rebel%20Heart%20Disc%202_zps0v

Guest CzarnaWisnia

Anybody who buys anything from Wal-Mart has to go.

but where else am I gonna stock up on "I luv Wal-Mart" t-shirts?

Just bought the deluxe edition... there's only 4 copies stock up in the display section... saw two other fans came to purchase the CD... now left one...

Im sure they will refresh daily... no super deluxe though... lets see and wait for the next few days....

Went to Target today, Deluxe version was completely sold out with a small handful of Standards left! Thankfully, Best Buy had (a few) Deluxe and Super Deluxe. The cashier even said a lot people had been buying it! POWER OF MADONNA :bow:

I could give two shits if we were the only people buying it (even though it makes me really happy to hear other people are loving it), because THIS ALBUM IS EPIC

Guest Rocco Papa

I just don't get why she didn't include the Offer Nissim remix of Living for Love on the Super Deluxe instead, since that's the one she's incorporated into the live performance.

If she must include a LFL remix, I would assume that would be the one.

guys, i'm so glad that we ALL can talk in the same thread, because the first time i listened to Hold Tight, to Beautiful Scars, to SEX to Body Shop, i felt about to explode and was incredibly hard not to share with everyone. Love this album so much. Well, love everything about this era. Even the kind of "mess" that is the release, with those weird dates and changes of tracklistin and all that has made the era more special because it was full of surprises and you thought one thing and then was another... It was like in the old times!!!

Oh, i'm so happy.