REBEL vs HEART Which songs are the rebel songs?

I find some of them are debatable.

The ones that class as rebel songs without a doubt

Bitch I'm Madonna

Unapologetic Bitch

Illuminati

Holy Water

S.E.X

Veni Vidi Vici

The ones that I'm not sure about:

Graffiti Heart

Borrowed Time

Queen

Devil Pray

Iconic

Thoughts?

"Borrowed Time" feels more "Heart" to me....

But I would also nominate "Iconic' as a rebel song...

And "Devil Pray" as one too because though she is trying to get better from the lyrics, it shows that she did go astray at one point, something that would happen to a rebel.

Guest Rocco Papa

I think some of them fit into both categories. Maybe this is part of the reason why Madonna chose to put them all together as opposed to a double album. As she has said recently, in order to be a rebel, you have to have a heart. :)

It depends on what you consider "rebel", the term includes a lot of concepts. To me, while songs like Graffiti heart and Borrowed time could fit in the Rebel category because of the social unconformism of the lyrics, they feel more "Heart".

Just reading these first responses already makes me swell up with tears. Madonna has truly created an album we can philosophise about :brenspin:

For the sake of argument, I will just paste here the definition of "Rebel" I found on the Urban dictionary... I thought it was more fitting than official dictionary definitions.

A rebel is a person who stands up for their own personal opinions despite what anyone else says. A true rebel stands up for what they believe is right, not against what's right. It's not about smoking crack, drinking till you're rendered unconsious, or beating the crap out of anyone that crosses your path. It's all about being an individual and refusing to follow a crowd that forces you to think the same way they do even if it means becoming an outcast to society. True rebels know who they are and do not compromise their individuality or personal opinion for anyone. They're straightforward and honest and they will sure as hell tell it like it is.

Well, lyrically I agree that the tracks are sometimes hard to separate into two groups. Just going by the sound though, I think there's quite a clear pattern.

The Heart songs are mostly the more conventional, easy-to-digest songs and have a predominantly poppy sound to them. The Rebel songs on the other hand are much more in your face-type of songs with a sound M has not explored that much before - Dancehall, Hip Hop (you can argue she's been there before, but definitely to a much lesser extent than with pop music), Dubstep etc. (and thus the more polarizing reactions by fans and critics compared to the Heart songs)...

So going by those factors, I think that's how I'd group the songs:

Heart:

Living For Love

Devil Pray

Ghosttown

Hold Tight

Joan Of Arc

HeartBreakCity

Body Shop

Inside Out

Wash All Over Me

Messiah

Rebel Heart

Beautiful Scars

Borrowed Time

(Queen)

Rebel:

Unapologetic Bitch

Illuminati

Bitch I'm Madonna

Iconic

Holy Water

Best Night

Veni Vidi Vici

S.E.X.

As for Graffiti Heart and Addicted, I think they could go either way...but Graffiti Heart sounds more heart to me while Addicted sounds more rebel to me. The only one I have no idea about is Auto-Tune Baby...it sounds too crazy to be a Heart song, but kinda too 'tame' to be a Rebel song. Maybe that's another reason why those songs were released as bonus tracks, they don't fit the Rebel / Heart concept that well.