Madonna "Out" Magazine interview

I didn't like it. The author used barely any quotes from her and seemed on a quest to be offended by the things she said. He made the article more about himself and how he views her than her.

Thanks. The author did make some bitchy comments in there though about her. I don't agree I'm Going to Tell You a Secret was woeful and it didn't focus primarily on her relationship with Guy Ritchie!

I totally agree with her statement that Gay rights are way more advanced than women's rights. People are a lot more open minded to the gay community than they are to women. Period. I love for her saying that. I'm sure that will be very controversial. I've read people on another forum attacking her for that. I don't want to start a huge nasty debate on her but I agree 100%

I didn't like it. The author used barely any quotes from her and seemed on a quest to be offended by the things she said. He made the article more about himself and how he views her than her.

We were writing our posts at the same time. I agree totally. He was quite bitchy and didn't really use that many quotes from her.

Gay rights more advanced than women? She's crazy.

on one hand I would agree. Women are marginalized at such an institutional level. It's so second nature to accept roles women are placed into.

I also think she was talking just about the U.S. But even worldwide, women are mutated for being women, killed for being women, denied education for being women, etc.

Disagree with Gay rights being further along than Women's rights. Not even close. It's unfortunate to pit two groups that suffer discrimination for being who they are against each other in the first place.

Instead of Christopher Glazek (the writer of this) passing off an endless rant about Madonna as an interview, he should have had the balls to say these things to her and, you know, have her respond. What a pussy.

I agree with her. Gay rights have improved more than Women rights in the last 30 decades. I would even say women rights have been at a standstill for a while in a way. She's not saying Gay Rights have been accomplished and now we live in a world where there's 100% tolerance, we are far from that. She's talking from her experience. She's very clear so I don't get all the fuss.

on one hand I would agree. Women are marginalized at such an institutional level. It's so second nature to accept roles women are placed into.

I also think she was talking just about the U.S. But even worldwide, women are mutated for being women, killed for being women, denied education for being women, etc.

It isn't like there is worldwide appreciation for the human rights of gays either. But I think she is venting from personal experience the nearly complete lack of social sanction against criticizing women, especially older women, for expressing their sexuality compared with the much more discrete discrimination against blacks and gays.

It's pretty obvious that gay rights have come a long way from the 90's and 80's. In comparison, women's rights (equal wages, rape victim blaming, body shaming, reproductive rights, etc...) have relatively not progressed as much in America. In a worldwide sense though, I think gay rights are still behind.

It's pretty obvious that gay rights have come a long way from the 90's and 80's. In comparison, women's rights (equal wages, rape victim blaming, body shaming, reproductive rights, etc...) have relatively not progressed as much in America. In a worldwide sense though, I think gay rights are still behind.

Women are almost half of the workforce. They are the equal, if not main, breadwinner in four out of ten families. They receive more college and graduate degrees than men. Yet, on average, women continue to earn considerably less than men. In 2013, female full-time workers made only 78 cents for every dollar earned by men, a gender wage gap of 22 percent. - See more at: http://www.iwpr.org/initiatives/pay-equity-and-discrimination#sthash.yi2M91s4.dpuf

I agree.

Guest ziggy

The "gays vs. women" statement was probably taken out of context, but the comment is a little tone-deaf no matter how you slice it.

She likely didn't intend to pit two oppressed groups of people against each other – especially when you take into consideration that the two overlap considerably, what with approximately fifty percent of gay people actually being women – but she could have chosen her words a little more carefully.

Edited by ziggy

Guest Rocco Papa

I don't think it matters who gets discriminated against more. It's still discrimination. Focusing on which group has it worse will not solve the problem in the long run. It won't help decrease sexism. It won't help decrease homophobia. If anything, it will cause conflict between the groups themselves. Discrimination is discrimination. The amount doesn't matter. The fact that it exists is enough. If we want equality, then we need to approach the issue the same way.

Appears this is on Cunt Piers Morgan's radar and he will shortly be on the Talk with Sharon and Kelly Osbourne to discuss this

Obsessed

She's right just like Rose MacGowan was right, i hear it everyday. Gay men hating on women AND feminine guys.

The difference is that Rose McGowan was making blanket generalizations, that's why some of us were having an issue with her. Madonna overall has been far more articulate about it.

The legal and public momentum of 'marriage equality' needs to show up in women's issues as well, and it's about time. But, it's not because people are just ok with the gays now...it's because there is a lot of big money advocacy groups, political connections, and affluent people behind the marriage equality initiative (and often at the expense of other serious LGBT issues). Why similar power and money isn't getting behind certain women's issues is troubling. No doubt that a lot of women's rights issues have been repealed or completely stalled.

I don't think it's meant to come off as comparing one group to another. More so that the dialogue that has moved so quickly around (some) gay issues or racial issues needs to happen as fervently with women's issues, and it isn't, and that we have gotten better at calling out racism or homophobia, but sexist/ageist shit flows like water in society and barely anyone bats an eye...and that is troubling.

I really hate making this my first post. I've been lurking on here for a while but this article really upset me for the first time being a Madonna fan since I was 14.

Women have the rights today to do things such as vote against gay marriage in their states. There are states in the US where gays are not allowed to marry nor adopt children and there are women in this country who are fighting to keep gays as second class citizens.

As for her comments about the black community, it's the same thing. When women were incorporated into civil right laws such as affirmative action, more white women have gotten jobs than any blank person because of this.

Racism today is rampant. Look at Oklahoma University there are white kids still singing about hanging n*ggers from trees.

Even if she's simply talking about stereotypes and images, gays and blacks still have it bad. Homophobia and racism is still very accepted in this country - not in the politically correct sense but in the everyday environment sense. I don't think if you're gay or black or both you don't have to go too far to feel uncomfortable in a place or unwanted or encounter ignorance from people. Gays are still effeminate queens and blacks are dangerous criminals in a lot of American minds.

I really thought Madonna had the backs of gays and blacks because that's how she made her living.

So I'm just saddened by it. I'm still her biggest fan but I calls it like I sees it.

Eh whatever. The author purposely used a controversial sound bite as one of the few quotes from her. Let's not forget how often Madonnas been misquoted. If she did say it, it was dumb, but I know Madonna well enough to know that she still believes gays and blacks are oppressed and is here on the fight with them, and she has thousands of quotes to back that up, so I don't doubt her solidarity for one second regardless.

no she didn't say anything wrong. people just took it out of context. the writer obviously had other intentions. you could take anything she said on the radio interview and turn it into something else. but then you got the audio. here you got text.

Where did she say she was not backing gays and black people ? You all are overreacting. First when she says women in case you don't know this includes LESBIANS and WOMEN OF COLOUR not just white straight women. Thing is that in gaylandia lesbians are marginalized when THEY are the fucking ones doing the job. Who launched the procedings for marriage equality in the US ? A lesbian ! In France it was lesbians too and when the marriage billed passed and they removed adoption and assisted medical procreation in it MOST gay men did not give a fuck.

Thing is we live in a men's world, a straight christian white rich men world and everything else are minorities BUT when put together they are the majority. How come we still agree to give power to these fuckers ? We let them define us, them being "the norm" and us all misfits ? That's crazy.