William Orbit - Crouch End Archive tape - M Related!!

ryan

For the completist and those that enjoy Orbits work, William has posted the CROUCH END ARCHIVE tapes on his Orbitstreamcast Soundcloud featuring early takes on what would become classic Ray of Light and Music tracks. Some are the songs that would have been on WO's unreleased 1997 album that inspired many of the songs on ROL, and some are the demos he submitted to Madonna.

I just started listening!! Fascinating stuff!!!

So many questions to ask!!

https://soundcloud.com/orbitstreamcast/sets/crouch-end-archive

Guest whatatramp

What part of Candy Perfume did she write - sounds like he had that one nailed down completely before she sang it!

the demo is sung by Susannah Melvoin, the songs official creditied co-songwriter

track 5 is a demo version of Ray of Light (William Orbit Stereo Odyssey)

I can hear The Mama's & Papa's / Straight Shooter in there aswell (one of my fave TM&TP songs!)

Interesting. It seems, by listening to what appears to be "Swim" instrumental, that the water theme was already there on the demo tracks, and M picked up on it and developed the album around it.

Why is he putting these up now? bitter, jealous? to make a point? OK, you did some good work 20 years ago, move on.

One could perhaps wrongly assume that William is trying to discredit Madonna's involvement in some of these tracks from the Ray of Light album.

The proof is in the pudding. All co-writers and co-producers are credited in the album notes. Madonna helped elevate the songs from sonic doodlings to works of musical art.

The only person who should feel hard done by is Patrick Leonard. Perusing the credits again, his involvement is quite involved as writer and producer. Orbit gets the bulk of the credit in the media. Leonard and Marius De Vries had a big hand crafting the album WITH Madonna.

Yeah, It did feel a bit like a jab. He's been acting really bitter towards her recently. Funnily enough, Madonna had nothing but nice things to say about him in the MOJO interview. WO was literally praising the hell out of M two years ago, now he's turned tables. Jadded I say....

I think MDNA has still left a sour taste in his mouth.

Meanwhile, the royalties are still rolling in....

(Don't get me wrong, I'm a stellar Orbut fan, but I can still call him out!)

One could perhaps wrongly assume that William is trying to discredit Madonna's involvement in some of these tracks from the Ray of Light album.

Don't think so, it's been well-known that the title track is not a song written by Madonna. Or that Has To Be is simply sung over an instrumental track by William Orbit for example. He's been posting stuff like this for a while now, see MDNA instrumentals.

• 2 months later...

Most probably feeling bitter when he knows M hanging out with someone younger and cuter i.e. Diplo instead of him.

I would love to hear "Can't You See My Mind" but that's not WO's work.

Interesting. It seems, by listening to what appears to be "Swim" instrumental, that the water theme was already there on the demo tracks, and M picked up on it and developed the album around it.

Well, water has always been a frequent theme in his music, going way back.

Well, water has always been a frequent theme in his music, going way back.

Yeah I should have known, since I like Orbit's solo pre-Madonna stuff. I just had this romantic idea that the both came up with the water theme together during recording sessions. They probably did, though, but more out of M's desire to replicate his sound with her pop skills, and not as a back and forth exploration of different sounds.