REBEL HEART (song)

Did you listen to the demo version? That was lead single material.

THIS.

Honestly, I am happy the demos all leaked. At least we got to hear the pure, unadulterated version of "Rebel Heart" and it was spectacular. I totally agree it should've been the lead single and I don't give a fuck if it sounds like Carly Rae Jepsen. It was pure folk-pop and it swelled into sheer crystalline brilliance. I still drive around with that demo on max volume.

I don't hate LFL, but really - a lead single that sounds like a 90's house track? Sure it got the gays in a frothy lather, but I think you should go for the pop masses on a lead single. Let the remixes light the clubs on fire, but at least do what you were born to do, Madonna: unleash that pop fury on the world.

You're not a gay niche artist like Robin S. or Kristine W., you're fucking Madonna.

I just feel it is more of a meditation than a damn single if anything. It's the perfect closer and the best she has done

Come at me secret garden people I'll box!!!

I've decided I'm never listening to the demo. This is one of my all time favorite Madonna songs, and "I'm right where I'm supposed to be" with this official version.

Yeah it's probably better to have never heard the demo. I still hear the wah uh wah uhs in my head when it gets to that part. I'm convinced this is a demo she would have kept had it not leaked. The leaks fucked with her whole artistic process and i think she started to second guess herself. Don't get me wrong, I love this song. But it's hard not to feel a little deflated. The demo felt like her comeback anthem while the album version feels like stripped down Madonna unplugged.

I've decided I'm never listening to the demo. This is one of my all time favorite Madonna songs, and "I'm right where I'm supposed to be" with this official version.

Shane, you simply must! If you have love for the song, then the demo is a must-hear. It doesn't veer too far from the album version--just some added pop touches, which I have to admit are sorely missed when I listen to the album version. Look at it as the 'radio remix' of the album track, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Guest rocketman

i feel like the demo is a dance remix

years ago it couldve been the lead single

so good with the Live to tell synths

She DID say in one of the interviews that she liked some of the demos better, but felt she needed to change some things since they were leaked.

I wonder if RH and WOAM were two of them, since they were the very first to leak?

She DID say in one of the interviews that she liked some of the demos better, but felt she needed to change some things since they were leaked.

I wonder if RH and WOAM were two of them, since they were the very first to leak?

Probably. Since the album version of Rebel Heart is basically an earlier demo than the one we like.

I see it as a brilliant remix of a brilliant track (and it really is a remix, since by all accounts the album version is similar to Demo 2, whereas Demo 4 was the one that leaked in November). Think of it this way - would you decide not to listen to the dance version of "Like A Prayer", simply because you absolutely love the album version and don't want to ruin the experience? I happen to be very much in the Demo Camp for this particular track and I agree wholeheartedly that it had smash/lead single written all over it (I was stunned when they said it wouldn't be the lead single and then completely baffled when the final version leaked and people said that it wasn't the version that we'd already hear - I didn't hear the final version until I bought the album last week, though). However, I love the official version, too.

Interestingly, I don't think RH was ever going to be the first single, since Diplo said that they were choosing between two tracks for the lead single (which we know now were "Unapologetic Bitch" and LFL). I'm really glad they went with LFL, because it really is a fantastic song that has been criminally ignored by radio.

I absolutely love the album version...it has a really anthemic quality...the original demo was so CHEESEY!

I honestly the changes are majorly due to the fact that interscope banned that double album idea. It probably would've been one EDM/mid-tempo record(Heart) and one urban-flavored bonkers record (Rebel). Since everything was mixed up some of the tracks were altered for a more cohesive sound.

I would have loved to see the double album concept. It would have been more cohesive and cleared up the "confusion" that many critics have complained about. My idea was she could have included both versions of "Rebel Heart" on a double CD. Open the first disc with the Avicci version to introduce the "rebel" side and then close the "heart" cd with the acoustic album version. That would have been a great way to bookend the whole project. Sort of like how Sarah McLachlan bookended Fumbling Towards Ecstasy with two versions of Possession (if you know that album). Ah well, woulda, coulda, shoulda. It's still a pretty fucking amazing album.

I honestly the changes are majorly due to the fact that interscope banned that double album idea. It probably would've been one EDM/mid-tempo record(Heart) and one urban-flavored bonkers record (Rebel). Since everything was mixed up some of the tracks were altered for a more cohesive sound.

Interscope "banned" her from releasing a double album? Really? When did this happen, and if it's true, why did they then "allow" her to release a version with 25 tracks (i.e. the length of a double album)...? All Interscope does is distribute the product - they have no control over what Madonna actually records, though.

I still hear the wah uh wah uhs in my head when it gets to that part. I'm convinced this is a demo she would have kept had it not leaked. The leaks fucked with her whole artistic process and i think she started to second guess herself

Feel the same way, karma for us

I would guess the demo 'dance' version will be performed towards the end of the show. Then a bit of Everybody and Holiday and Borrowed time. You wait :vogue:

I actually don't think so. She said she liked the simplicity of some of the demos. I really don't think RH and WOAM were the ones she meant. But I guess we probably won't ever know

I would have loved to see the double album concept. It would have been more cohesive and cleared up the "confusion" that many critics have complained about. My idea was she could have included both versions of "Rebel Heart" on a double CD. Open the first disc with the Avicci version to introduce the "rebel" side and then close the "heart" cd with the acoustic album version. That would have been a great way to bookend the whole project. Sort of like how Sarah McLachlan bookended Fumbling Towards Ecstasy with two versions of Possession (if you know that album). Ah well, woulda, coulda, shoulda. It's still a pretty fucking amazing album.

Dropping a reference to the divine Fumbling? Yeah, we DEFINITELY have similar tastes in music :)

I love the way that Madonna sings this song, investing it with a perfect combination of wistful and spunky that only she can pull off.

Probably not. She said she liked the simplicity of those demos but she actually went on to simplify RH and WAOM. Seems like she was referring to JOA/HBC/Messiah/LFL. And the RH demo would sound completely out of place on the record too.

Interscope "banned" her from releasing a double album? Really? When did this happen, and if it's true, why did they then "allow" her to release a version with 25 tracks (i.e. the length of a double album)...? All Interscope does is distribute the product - they have no control over what Madonna actually records, though.

She said it in the interview with Larry Flick that her label was not buying the idea.

The album version is so good, groovy.

Too bad for those who loved the demo but you should'nt have listened too much of it as you knew it were demos...

I lack something with the demo version, wich I think was completed in the album version.

Except that there is no bridge !!!

Probably not. She said she liked the simplicity of those demos but she actually went on to simplify RH and WAOM. Seems like she was referring to JOA/HBC/Messiah/LFL. And the RH demo would sound completely out of place on the record too.

She said it in the interview with Larry Flick that her label was not buying the idea.

Maybe it was Live Nation who didn't think it was a good idea...? There was no mention of her record company "banning" her from doing it, though. I've probably just misinterpreted your original wording.

Maybe it was Live Nation who didn't think it was a good idea...? There was no mention of her record company "banning" her from doing it, though. I've probably just misinterpreted your original wording.

I really don't do which label is in charge of her artistic decision but it's probably Interscope who didn't buy the idea from a marketing standpoint.

I'm still just playing the album in sequential order, but once I start randomly playing stuff, this is probably going to set a new record for plays for me! Slay me with your chorus, Madonna, I am yours.

I'm still just playing the album in sequential order, but once I start randomly playing stuff, this is probably going to set a new record for plays for me! Slay me with your chorus, Madonna, I am yours.

This is your #1 Madonna album of all-time isn't it :lol: