REBEL HEART (song)

Can someone explain how you just effortlessly write amazing melodies and anthemic choruses for thirty-three years? Oh that's right: bitch, she's Madonna.

This song is giving me life. The woman writes hooks and melodies as effortlessly as most people breathe.

Is it the one song on the album that is both rebel and heart?

The chorus is just beautiful.

SomeofShane, I saw you ask about the demo of Rebel heart in another thread. This is one of the songs that I did hear the demo - Wash all over me was the other one as I then thought they would be the only 2 heard. The demo of Rebel heart was pure pop bliss - very euphoric and something that could easily be seen as a chart topper. It was more of a pop anthem. I loved it as soon as I heard it. The album version is a lot more stripped back. The vocoder was not in the main lyrics or chorus but was a cute added feature at the end when Madonna sang Rebel Heart. There also were other musical features throughout that are not on the final version. I am breaking my rule as don't really think demos should be worried about at this point of time but I can see where this is a talking point. I feel that so many people loved the original Rebel Heart song with all of the extras. I love this song so much and still love the album version too.

Guest Rachelle of London

Did you listen to the demo version? That was lead single material.

Nope I haven't listened to the demos.

SomeofShane, I saw you ask about the demo of Rebel heart in another thread. This is one of the songs that I did hear the demo - Wash all over me was the other one as I then thought they would be the only 2 heard. The demo of Rebel heart was pure pop bliss - very euphoric and something that could easily be seen as a chart topper. It was more of a pop anthem. I loved it as soon as I heard it. The album version is a lot more stripped back. The vocoder was not in the main lyrics or chorus but was a cute added feature at the end when Madonna sang Rebel Heart. There also were other musical features throughout that are not on the final version. I am breaking my rule as don't really think demos should be worried about at this point of time but I can see where this is a talking point. I feel that so many people loved the original Rebel Heart song with all of the extras. I love this song so much and still love the album version too.

Very good description. :thumbsup:

This is one of the best songs Madonna has ever written. I am completely slayed by the combination of lyrics, vocals, and this AMAZING chorus.

What a fantastic way to end an album. Queen of album closers, now and always.

This song is giving me life. The woman writes hooks and melodies as effortlessly as most people breathe.

Is it the one song on the album that is both rebel and heart?

Can someone explain how you just effortlessly write amazing melodies and anthemic choruses for thirty-three years? Oh that's right: bitch, she's Madonna.

I LOVE YOU!!!

:smooch:

I am also a fan of the original leaked demo... indeed, it captures the triumphant and inspirational feel of the lyrics... it went from major lead single potential to a filler track, i tried to like it but the demo was just far too superior, a lost opportunity... even Madonna is no longer considering releasing it.. she has her eyes on Devil Pray

i suggest the demo virgins listen to it

One of my favourites of the demos and of the main release.

It is a telling retrospective of her life and her art and her approach to the future.

Either production works for me because the lyrics are so clear and strong.

didn't listen to the demo....but all of this talking about how the demo was the second coming and the lbum track is some kind of trash.....

:spankmonkey::tit:

I m in the minority obviously, but I still think Aviccii production drowned both RH and WAOM... Prefer the finals... WAOM could ve been faster, but RH is simply beautiful, grown up, not trying to hard... Simply love it.

The demo for Rebel Heart(the one your describing is Avicii) is EVERYTHING

Soooo glad I saved it before it was removed on YouTube.And I agree of all the demo uproars, RH and JoA are the only two legit

The demo is great. But it's great in a very SAFE way. A generic rhythm, already heard and dismissed.

I agree that maybe they could have reworked the demo to sound more edge, and that the album version is somehow less appealing, but if you listen to the album as a whole, and this song comes, you don't want to listen to some Aviccii drums, you want Madonna to sit down, snap her fingers, and sing this beautifully to a guitar and subtle drums. That's all.

The album version grows on me more and more with each listen, but the demo will always be so special to me. And for some reason, this picture she posted on Instagram way back when just goes with it perfectly.

madonna-rebel-heart-600x450.jpg

I love this version and I don't mind the fact that the Avicii demo got reworked. This one is much more timeless.

Love how the instrumentation gets fuller with each repetition of the chorus.

The distorted sound of the drums sounds quite good as well. Imo it's an intentional production choice and not a mistake. Same as for "Voices" on Hard Candy.

I agree with everything. And it makes complete sense having it as the last track.

The themes of this song and LFL work great together and I like how all the other subjects of the album are inbetween them.

I'm very proud of how much time and effort she put on this album, and it shines so much more than some of her previous albums. What makes the album so great is the cohesiveness. This song in particular goes with that. The first demo leak version would not have worked at all as an album closer. I'm glad the production was reworked a bit to blend with the other tracks, yet still keeping the Avicci tone that was in the demo.

Also, anyone else notice how the heartbeat at the end of messiah goes into the opening of this song? Fantastic.

Thanks Whoop for pointing out the heartbeat!

I love how she sings about her life's path in this song, and the way that who she was then shaped who she is now. And one of the album's best moments is that "HELL yeah, this is me, right where I'm supposed to be."

Oh Madonna, the utter slayage of this album. Thank God I took most of this week off from work, because I'm not sure how I would have functioned. :dramatic:

From the first time I heard the finished version that would be put on the album I pined for the demo. The upbeat sound and triumphant production really embodied what this song is about and I was beyond disappointed that a very toned-down almost acoustic version was going to end up on the album. I listened to the official version so many times and could never get anything out of it, so I'd just been sticking with the demo...and I agree with those who have said it went from a stand-out single potential to filler track material.

But with all that being said...tonight when it came on during my drive home I finally "got" it. It's sweet and simple and cheery but meaningful - it tells the story that needs to be told and closes the album on an uplifting note without being imperious or overbearing. I got a little lump in my throat when the final chorus kicked in. The demo will always be significant to me, but when all is said and done, I really do love the album version so much.

I really loooove the demo and I like the final version. I think the final suits well the album and is not a filler, it's a closer, and a good one, after all the introspective ballads and the playful uptempos it brings both themes together and makes a final statement "I'm right where I'm supposed to be": The demo sound more triumphant, that's true, but the album version has some nostalgia mixed up with a cheerful tone that serves as a perfect closer. Yes, it's too bad that it lost the punch to be a single but it could still work well if they remix it, who knows.

I will hear the demos (s) eventually, but not yet, maybe during the summer! now I have a lot of new material that I want to enjoy!!

it´s interesting what you all say about the faster demo...and about being more triumphant, because I feel a certein triumphant thing in the official one too, in a , well, springsteen waey (does it make sense?), like, well , Born to run!

and what the hell is a bbboy funk?

This song is so damn good. It's one of my favorite choruses maybe ever. And her lyrics make me smile. When she sings "all the things I did just to be seen," I can't even.

This song is so damn good. It's one of my favorite choruses maybe ever. And her lyrics make me smile. When she sings "all the things I did just to be seen," I can't even.

I really love "oh no, I want more. That's not what I'm looking for"