MESSIAH

This song has grown on me a lot. I have to be in the mood for it though. I think it would stand out for me more if there weren't so many other ballads on the album.

The more i listen to it though the more I like it.

Have played this song so many times this week. I truly think it's one of the most beautiful things she's ever done.

And sometimes I just want to say fuck y'all for not caring about such a masterpiece :laugh:

And to the person who called it dull, you're dead to me.

It was one of my least favorites, now it sits comfortably in the top #12 or top #10. It's pretty much perfect.

I hope she doesn't pull a Falling Free on me and performs it on tour in a massive way!

I feel if any track on Rebel Heart harks back to vintage Madonna in the most eloquent way, it's Messiah. Nothing edgy, just lush arrangements reminiscent of something she did with Pat Leonard. Her delivery is so honest and heartfelt that you either feel for her or feel like she's singing for you. The woman knows pain and longing!

She has not sung a ballad that pulls at me for quite some time now. And the lyrics, oh the lyrics. Haunting, magical yet determined, reminds me of the poetry of Sanctuary somehow, baring her soul as she tells her unrequited love, "Love me, dammit - love me!"

Epic, this one. Just epic. And I reeeeeeally want a video that is just that.

I feel if any track on Rebel Heart harks back to vintage Madonna in the most eloquent way, it's Messiah. Nothing edgy, just lush arrangements reminiscent of something she did with Pat Leonard. Her delivery is so honest and heartfelt that you either feel for her or feel like she's singing for you. The woman knows pain and longing!

She has not sung a ballad that pulls at me for quite some time now. And the lyrics, oh the lyrics. Haunting, magical yet determined, reminds me of the poetry of Sanctuary somehow, baring her soul as she tells her unrequited love, "Love me, dammit - love me!"

What a wonderful first post. Welcome Anakemas. Love your description of Messiah. It is one of my favourites on the album. Madonna at her most mysterious and haunting. I also think this would be a perfect song to be featured on a film about magic and sorcery. Would have to be a great film though.

What a wonderful first post. Welcome Anakemas. Love your description of Messiah. It is one of my favourites on the album. Madonna at her most mysterious and haunting. I also think this would be a perfect song to be featured on a film about magic and sorcery. Would have to be a great film though.

YES! That would be brilliant!

And welcome Anakemas! Wonderful post. :)

I concur. Awesome post and welcome to the Nation.

YASSSSSSS with all of you finally spreading the love in this thread. One of my favorite songs of all time, by any artist. That orchestra! Those vocals! :dramatic:

:cries: First I wasn't fond of the electronic arrangement and preferred the demo version, but God, I love each and every versions of the song now. One of the absolute bests.

:cries: First I wasn't fond of the electronic arrangement and preferred the demo version, but God, I love each and every versions of the song now. One of the absolute bests.

I'm confused. I thought the orchestra and the piano at the beginning are real instruments. Do we have confirmation that it's actually electronic?

Without track credits, I don't think we can be certain of anything. :)

(Not that credits always contain all pertinent info- see William Orbit playing guitar the ROL tracks, and that not being reflected in the credits).

• 2 weeks later...

You're all calling each other names and bemoaning Drake's face in the Coachella thread, and I'm like "time for me to bump the Messiah thread for the 100th time."

Epic song.

This song is a real masterpiece. At first I prefered the orchestral demo, but the final version combines all the elements perfectly.

I wish the distortion wasn't there, because it takes away from the listening experience and destroys her wonderful "I light a candle" vocals, but we can't change that...

The album version is completely stripped off strings unlike Demo 2 which is full on dramatic orchestration

But there ARE plenty of real strings in the album version, while some of the later demos had synthesized strings. Thank god they combined it the way they did.