WASH ALL OVER ME

The thing about the uptempo vs the somber versions of this song is that each conveys very distinct feelings.

Although the lyrics are the same, by changing the context (i.e. the sound) the meaning is vastly different. While the euphoric and upbeat tone of the demo paints the picture of someone aware of their queerness (not the sexual connotation) in a quickly changing world, she sounds triumphant in accepting a new chapter in her life. She's ready to face whatever comes her way. At the climatic synth break, it's as if she's ready to be raptured to this new life.

The album version, however, comes off quite the opposite. The seemingly funeral march drums and overall weary tone of the production (or "raw and gritty" to some) conjures a woman that is still in that mourning process of accepting the end and feeling the sorrow that it brings. As she sings repeatedly "over me.... let it wash all over me," one can feel the sense of dread. She's ready to take the blow but she is definitely not looking forward to it.

Maybe that's why I prefer the "dance" version of this song, it is the image that I created of Madonna in my head: the warrior that can conquer all, the Michigan girl that sang early in her career that "I get up again over and over." I appreciate the mature "I can't be a superhero right now" Madonna of today and I don't fault anyone for preferring the album version. But in my book, Madonna will be the one dancing even when the world is coming to an end, because out of all human beings, she's probably the best qualified to do so.

And that's all I have to say about that.

92283-phil-dunphy-shrug-gif-WHAT-wtf-X2G

Well said!Although overall I do prefer the album version,the upbeat demo is something I play every now and then

• 1 month later...
Guest CzarnaWisnia

Every time I'm drunk, I listen to this song and I want to cry.

Not sure why but I find it so sad... :(

petting-a-rabbit.gif

Guest eroticerotic

I truly love this song. I have a soft spot for it.

The demo version is orgasmic to me though; it's so joyful for such an end of the world song lol. It's like we're gonna party til the end! haha

This is my all time favorite song from Madonna after Hung Up. I like the album version. Never was a fan of the Avici version, it was too pop for those lyrics. Kanye did really an amazin job with mastering it

I truly love this song. I have a soft spot for it.

The demo version is orgasmic to me though; it's so joyful for such an end of the world song lol. It's like we're gonna party til the end! haha

Love the demo so much!

Album version is freakin' amazing as well.

The track on the album that I always go back to. The lyrics, melody and Madonna's vocals give me chills. At times the song is very uplifting and stirring then there are moments when it is extremely melancholy. Emotions are all over this song.

• 1 month later...

I don't know how to use Audacity so i did a very rough copy & paste job of mixing both Avicci versions together maybe somebody more skilled and talented can make a better job at it. I think it's a cool version :

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0DJ8Jf8OZg1

I made my own extended version of this, and pretty much all RH tracks, cause they are absolutely heavenly...check out my extended WAOM...cheers!

https://www.sendspace.com/file/4xm5wj

I love the different emphasis she puts on the word "let" in "if this is the end then let it come" on the first chorus compared to the second and third chorus. It's little touches like that, just a slight change in the way she sings one word, that make me smile.

A similar thing happens in JOA. The first two times she sings "I can't be a super hero right now," the accent is on the word BE. The third time, the accent is on the word I.

I hope I'm not the only one who notices these things lol

I love the different emphasis she puts on the word "let" in "if this is the end then let it come" on the first chorus compared to the second and third chorus. It's little touches like that, just a slight change in the way she sings one word, that make me smile.

A similar thing happens in JOA. The first two times she sings "I can't be a super hero right now," the accent is on the word BE. The third time, the accent is on the word I.

Love your observations SomeofShane, I am going to look out for them tonight when I play the CD

I absolutely noticed both of those and I love that you did too. I wish she would have sang "let" the same way in the second and third choruses and she did in the first :)

I'm glad the demo is on Spotiy. It's the best version. :Disco_Ball:

Lol no demo is on spotify, but it plays local files instead of streams if available and sometimes it happens that it plays the wrong tracks.

That means if you re-name the downloaded track on your hard drive, spotify will stop playing it.

Love wash all over me but not in my top 5 for RH. I do like the video.

• 2 weeks later...