WASH ALL OVER ME

The demo version wouldn't have fit with the overall sound of the album. It would've stuck out like a sore thumb. The demos of WAOM and RH plus Borrowed Time and Addicted are 1/3 of a solid album.......but that would be album doesn't sound like RH. Imagine the demo in between the final Inside Out and the BN/VVV/SEX trilogy. It just sounds "thin" next to those tracks......for lack of a better term.

Of course it was a ballad at the very beginning, but listen to the progression. My point is that this particular track is not what i believe to be the intended outcome. Alot of us feel this way and with the knowledge of M changing things because of the leaks, well, #3 is life. :p

#4 is the best!

Imagine the demo in between the final Inside Out and the BN/VVV/SEX trilogy. It just sounds "thin" next to those tracks......for lack of a better term.

Why would anyone imagine a DEMO inbetween finished tracks anyway? There seems to be this misconception that something that may well have been knocked up in the space of a week or so to DEMONSTRATE a particular sound is what the final product would have actually been. We don't know what an actual final version of RH and WAOM using the demo templates would have sounded like. What we do know is that thanks to the leaks, Madonna admitted to going out of her way to make certain songs completely different. In fact she seems to have abandoned RH and WAOM altogether during this promo blitz.

Why would anyone imagine a DEMO inbetween finished tracks anyway? There seems to be this misconception that something that may well have been knocked up in the space of a week or so to DEMONSTRATE a particular sound is what the final product would have actually been. We don't know what an actual final version of RH and WAOM using the demo templates would have sounded like. What we do know is that thanks to the leaks, Madonna admitted to going out of her way to make certain songs completely different. In fact she seems to have abandoned RH and WAOM altogether during this promo blitz.

She also said she was happy with the sound of certain demos. Songs like Best Night and HeartBreakCity prove that she would keep the base of the demo if she really wanted to, so it's obvious that that's not what she wanted for WAOM. Not to mention the fact that WAOM and RH serve as closers on their respective versions of the album. It's not even really debatable that she chooses some of the most special songs to close her albums, regardless of how much she pays attention to them afterwards. I mean, Falling Free, Voices, Like It Or Not, Easy Ride, Gone, Mer Girl, Secret Garden, a few barely lucky enough to get one-off performances on tour, much less talked about during promo.

If you don't like the songs, fine, but don't try to make it out to seem like Madonna made some mistake by including them as is. If there are no "final versions of RH and WAOM using the demo templates," there were obviously never meant to be any.

She also said she was happy with the sound of certain demos. Songs like Best Night and HeartBreakCity prove that she would keep the base of the demo if she really wanted to, so it's obvious that that's not what she wanted for WAOM. Not to mention the fact that WAOM and RH serve as closers on their respective versions of the album. It's not even really debatable that she chooses some of the most special songs to close her albums, regardless of how much she pays attention to them afterwards. I mean, Falling Free, Voices, Like It Or Not, Easy Ride, Gone, Mer Girl, Secret Garden, a few barely lucky enough to get one-off performances on tour, much less talked about during promo.

If you don't like the songs, fine, but don't try to make it out to seem like Madonna made some mistake by including them as is. If there are no "final versions of RH and WAOM using the demo templates," there were obviously never meant to be any.

Nope. I'm not gonna go searching for the quote, but she clearly said that she changed the sound of specific songs because of the leaks and for no other reason than to make them sound different. As RH and WAOM were the two first, majorly circulated, dissected and discussed songs to leak and make a splash outwith just the Madonna fan community (unlike most of the rest... except maybe 'two steps behind'). it's not beyond the realms of possibility that those two in-particular not only got a makeover, but got shafted and forgotten in the process. So now we have a dull campfire 'Secret' redux and a funeral dirge. RH, a title track in name-only, didn't even make the regular album tracklist afterall.

Nope. I'm not gonna go searching for the quote, but she clearly said that she changed the sound of specific songs because of the leaks and for no other reason than to make them sound different. As RH and WAOM were the two first, majorly circulated, dissected and discussed songs to leak and make a splash outwith just the Madonna fan community (unlike most of the rest... except maybe 'two steps behind'). it's not beyond the realms of possibility that those two in-particular not only got a makeover, but got shafted and forgotten in the process. So now we have a dull campfire 'Secret' redux and a funeral dirge. RH, a title track in name-only, didn't even make the regular album tracklist afterall.

This.

Since M mentioned the illness of Avicii, I totally believe the demos of RH and WOAM were just a stage 1 in the process. Those two songs eventually were meant to be re-worked.

totally agree....and (i didn't listened to the demo so i can't judge what's better...) they're 2 beautiful songs..i understand that someone can like a version more, but dismissing these wonderful tracks as garbage is a little too much, imo. they flow perfectly within the album and are perfect closure to both versions....

LOL no-one's dismissing them as garbage. Now do yourself a favour and track down the real version of Rebel Heart that the whole world and it's granny fell in love with last year. All it needed was a final polish to reach perfection, instead of the dowdy make-under it was punished with for leaking.

It's a great song. The final version is of course the definitive and best version. I expect this in the tour as a video interlude in close proximity in the setlist to "Ghosttown," given the theme.

And yes, I do agree that the original "Rebel Heart" demo was much better than the final version and I agree with the "punishment" theories. However, I really think the final version of "Wash All Over Me" is brilliant and the post-apocalyptic vibe of the production works much better than the generic cha-cha-cha gay club sound straight out of 1999 that the original leaked demo was. The final version is like something out of the Ray of Light era. Yes, it's that good.

I expect this in the tour as a video interlude

LOL. Says it all really.

Now just imagine a performance of life from a FINALISED (no, not demo 4) dance version. This tours GGW moment lost forever..... :dramatic:

Because I am a fan of her ballads, this song is obviously a big deal to me (like heading towards the all time top 20 if not 10). But I can respect that if someone heard it as a dance track and loved it, they might feel disappointed.

Without saying "just listen to it" (I probably won't), would anyone mind taking a shot at describing how exactly this song was DANCE?!?!?! With your descriptions of the Rebel Heart demo, I can sort of understand how it might have sounded. But Wash All Over Me as dance just does not compute!!! Same melody line but at a faster tempo? Same mystical lyrics?

Picturing this as dance kind of blows my mind. I suppose that's how some of you felt when you realized it was now a piano ballad!

I don't think anyone would blame you if you just...downloaded the demos and listened. RH isn't a million miles away from the demo, just lost the sparkle and the magic and has bizarrely became more....jaunty, for want of a better word. WAOM needed more work and was disjointed in its original avicii DEMO form. Someone (not avicii) unsuccessfully attempted to finalise the dance version in subsequent demos before they gave up and settled on yet another slow plodder. Interestingly enough, Madge couldn't even be bothered to re-record her vocals. However much kanye tries, all the bells and whistles and heavenly choirs and organs and didgeridoos in the world can't disguise the utter boredom in her voice.

I don't think RH and Wash are part of the "I redid these songs for the album cause of the leaks, and I'm still unsure which ones I like better" collection. The album versions arn't that far off from the more recent demo versions. The Avicci demo and Kanye's album mix of Wash have two different tones:

Avicci's dance mix has a more watery theme to it and it almost feels like a grand end-of-the-world party

Kanyes has a much somber tone, like its at a funeral, and the pallbearer's are walking the casket down the streets to the cathedral.

I love all the versions, but I prefer the album mix as it flows better with the album.

LFL seems to be the only known track we know of that she's rather indifferent about. In the mojo interview she mentioned how she prefers the 1989 house version. And the two alternate versions that leaked, which were supposed to be bonus tracks, show that the song was still being worked on even during its release in December. The video mix even uses one of those versions.

and I'm still unsure which ones I like better" collection

I don't even think she thought that about these two tracks. I just think she was so disgusted by the demos basically going viral that there was no choice but to change em up. I do think she likes them as actual songs, or else she'd have dumped them altogether. RH there's only so much they could have done with it anyway. WAOM they reverted back to the "able to play it on guitar or piano" concept. I do think that Avicii's unavailability had a lot to do with it as well, that part is quite murky though and she seems almost pissed off at him in a way...

I do agree with your last bit, as when ever she talks about that recording session, she always has to bring up how it was her manager made her work with him.

The demo version wouldn't have fit with the overall sound of the album. It would've stuck out like a sore thumb. The demos of WAOM and RH plus Borrowed Time and Addicted are 1/3 of a solid album.......but that would be album doesn't sound like RH. Imagine the demo in between the final Inside Out and the BN/VVV/SEX trilogy. It just sounds "thin" next to those tracks......for lack of a better term.

I've thought that about Avicii's sound too it always sounds "hollow" is the word I use.

Even though I've stated that I prefer the demo :laugh: I have always also said that it needed reworked, though

And yes, I do agree that the original "Rebel Heart" demo was much better than the final version and I agree with the "punishment" theories. However, I really think the final version of "Wash All Over Me" is brilliant and the post-apocalyptic vibe of the production works much better than the generic cha-cha-cha gay club sound straight out of 1999 that the original leaked demo was. The final version is like something out of the Ray of Light era. Yes, it's that good.

I don't think it's quite as good as Swim or Frozen, that's what I would have liked something along those lines instead of a dirge.

LFL seems to be the only known track we know of that she's rather indifferent about. In the mojo interview she mentioned how she prefers the 1989 house version. And the two alternate versions that leaked, which were supposed to be bonus tracks, show that the song was still being worked on even during its release in December. The video mix even uses one of those versions.

Huh? The video has the album version, only with additional effects...

My opinion is: I adore the album version of WOAM. I appreciate the subtle aspects of the production, which I believe add something positive to the song. However, I also enjoyed the demo version - but, now, I cannot help but think that a big factor in my liking the demo version is the fact that it is "high energy" and danceable; which is something that the album, in general lacks - not that it's a bad thing. You know, every time a new Madonna album drops, I wait for the danceable fun songs (it is Madonna, after all); but, this definitely does not take away from the album version of WAOM which is right up my alley taste-wise, too. At the end of the day, I'm OK with less "danceable" album version of WOAM because it goes to a different artistic place.

Kanye stepped in before anything leaked so WAOM was already changed a long time ago. I hate it when all these demo-fans claim that the final versions are the reductive versions she was forced to change just because they prefer the demos. Yes she said she preferred the simplicity of certain demos but it's obvious not the case in WAOM.

I thought the song was about the end of a relationship. For me, it's easily the best track of the second half of the album. So beautiful and hauntingly stunning. I hadn't heard the demo before and thought on first listen that the final version was just perfect - the only track on the album to give me shivers (except of course the original Rebel Heart which made me cry on first listen).