Backing vocals.

I want Annie in the tour. Her vocals in L4L are giving me life. She can do LAP with Nikki R and make it a double ad-lib at the end with both of them belting. :drama:

M doesn't add backing vocals in Ghosttown. I hope she sings it alone.

^ Yes, I agree. And I think that applies not only to the backing vocals but also the instruments. Nearly everything is electronic these days, even the drums, so it doesn't have the resonance of live instruments. That's not just Madonna, though - modern pop shows in general have become high-tech karaoke.

THIS. THIS. THIS.

The one thing that irks me more than anything is that everything is so electronic. I NEED live instruments...especially drums. That's the backbone. Live drums that can be heard as live drums make or break everything for me. Guitar and bass next.

^ Yes, I agree. And I think that applies not only to the backing vocals but also the instruments. Nearly everything is electronic these days, even the drums, so it doesn't have the resonance of live instruments. That's not just Madonna, though - modern pop shows in general have become high-tech karaoke.

THIS. THIS. THIS.

The one thing that irks me more than anything is that everything is so electronic. I NEED live instruments...especially drums. That's the backbone. Live drums that can be heard as live drums make or break everything for me. Guitar and bass next.

I'm hoping and praying M moves away from this fascination with backing tracks and music tracks, and has a more live sound this tour! It's one of the things that makes Bruno Mars and even Taylor such a refreshing change in their live shows, in the pop world. It seems M's earlier concerts, like Girlie Show, were live instruments and singing (lead and backing), I wish she would go back to it.

I'm hoping and praying M moves away from this fascination with backing tracks and music tracks, and has a more live sound this tour! It's one of the things that makes Bruno Mars and even Taylor such a refreshing change in their live shows, in the pop world. It seems M's earlier concerts, like Girlie Show, were live instruments and singing (lead and backing), I wish she would go back to it.

There needs to be backing track because of the screens, elevators and eveything that has to be on sync

I was listening to the ROL album on the way home from work and really appreciated hearing Donna and Nikki on 'Nothing Really Matters'. Is that really the last time she had proper back ups (besides Pharrell and Justin on HC?)

I miss hearing Donna and Nicki on Madonna's albums.They were great and added alot to Madonna's music and her tours.

The band that she had for the Girlie Show were fantastic!! I too,wish she would go back to a more "live" show like that.

The band that she had for the Girlie Show were fantastic!! I too,wish she would go back to a more "live" show like that.

They were indeed excellent. Her band are definitely anonymous now. i couldnt identify whether she had a bass player or not anymore. Only Monty really stands out. Though i do I think her current crop of musicians are talented - the drummer is a big improvement on Steve whatever his name was who was with her between drowned - confessions. his drumming sounded so thin and limp.

I guess it is true that there has to be a certain element of synchronisation to go along with the screens and moving platforms etc - but that could just be a click track surely? The current musicians do play a lot of instruments - it just doesnt seem to be a typical band performance set up.

I made a post a while back about how I missed the backing vocals on her newer material. Definitely a welcome return for me too. I agree 100% with the live v electronic debate. Live always sounds so much better.

Guest Rachelle of London

Her current drummer Brian Fraser Moore is indeed fantastic and probably the best in the business now. He's just come off doing Justin's tour and his band were amazing, most of the reviews for Justins shows highlighted how great the band were. M has the best musicians working for her including the amazing violinist Jason Yang however I dont think she utilises them to their fullest potential. I think she prefers a backing track rather than the band being front and centre which is sad because M sounds glorious with a live band. You can listen to the Girlie Show now in 2015 and it sounds amazing. A live band never sounds dated.

There needs to be backing track because of the screens, elevators and eveything that has to be on sync

Says who? Live music should be about - well, uhhh....the MUSIC!! not about TV screens, elevators, pyrotechnics, dancers, giant stage animals, all that stuff should come second, and put the music FIRST - imho

Says who? Live music should be about - well, uhhh....the MUSIC!! not about TV screens, elevators, pyrotechnics, dancers, giant stage animals, all that stuff should come second, and put the music FIRST - imho

I agree.

With the type of tech/visual driven show that Madonna consciously chooses to put on, near perfect synchronization with all the elements is probably an absolute necessity...or else that particular kind of show is just not possible to pull off. That being said, even with how perfectly synched the productions need to be, I think they could totally reassess their mixing and bring certain instruments forward in the mix...particularly drums, guitar.....and I wouldn't mind seeing her have a live percussionist again.