Backing vocals.

I'm loving the backing vocals on RH. Is anyone else? It's her first album in ages to feature such a variety.

:clap:

Live female backing vocals are off key in Ghosttown. They need to work that out or let Madonna just sing on her own.

Live female backing vocals are off key in Ghosttown. They need to work that out or let Madonna just sing on her own.

this

That Kiley sure is no Delory.

I like the MNEK backing vox and the rappers and fun bits but yeah the female backing vox on "Ghosttown" were shocking awful on LiveJournal, give me Madonna self-harmonising anyday (or at least use her own backing vox backing tracks on the live version).

I do like that Kylie girl on the LFL bits though.

I like the MNEK backing vox and the rappers and fun bits but yeah the female backing vox on "Ghosttown" were shocking awful on LiveJournal, give me Madonna self-harmonising anyday (or at least use her own backing vox backing tracks on the live version).

I do like that Kylie girl on the LFL bits though.

Lol I didn't even notice the Ghosttown backing vocals, I was so mesmerized by Madonna :lmao:

this

That Kiley sure is no Delory.

I was talking about this with my BF... I think she is one of the worst backup Madonna has used live. Even on the Grammys, my BF was wondering who was out of key in one obvious part and said it wasn't even Madonna... And I do think she is supposed to be in the role of Donna - a singer who is supposed to sing in the same key to further enforce Madonna's voice. Ghosttown live too.

As for the album, yes, I agree, the background vocals are awesome in so many parts. I LOVE the backup in "HeartbreakCity", though I think another member on here was complaining about it, they are quite genius and Madonna hasn't used a background like this before to my recollection (at least in this way).

And MNEK singing along on "Hold Tight" is so cute, plus his voice on L4L as well as the other woman, can't remember her name right now.

Not sure if Kiley Dean sings on the album, but I do know she is off and she was off during the MDNA era as well. Sorry to say, Kiley! I'm sure you're a sweet girl! lol

I was talking about this with my BF... I think she is one of the worst backup Madonna has used live. Even on the Grammys, my BF was wondering who was out of key in one obvious part and said it wasn't even Madonna... And I do think she is supposed to be in the role of Donna - a singer who is supposed to sing in the same key to further enforce Madonna's voice. Ghosttown live too.

As for the album, yes, I agree, the background vocals are awesome in so many parts. I LOVE the backup in "HeartbreakCity", though I think another member on here was complaining about it, they are quite genius and Madonna hasn't used a background like this before to my recollection (at least in this way).

And MNEK singing along on "Hold Tight" is so cute, plus his voice on L4L as well as the other woman, can't remember her name right now.

Not sure if Kiley Dean sings on the album, but I do know she is off and she was off during the MDNA era as well. Sorry to say, Kiley! I'm sure you're a sweet girl! lol

MNEK isn't singing on L4L though, it's some other guy. I think MNEK is singing on one of the remixes, but I'm not sure it has been released.

She had her moments during Sticky 2 :chuckle: I can't remember which show I was at...

Nicki Richards did much better though, haha.... not to totally shit on Kiley but her voice has been annoying me lately and I am glad someone started this topic.

Someone should start another topic in the main forum to give a list of all of Madonna's backup singers (both live shows and studio albums).

I was mentioning my BF above and even though he is not the biggest Madonna fan, he joked that he had albums by most of her backup singers, haha.... even Kiley Dean's album that was produced by Timbaland but didn't get a wide release I don't think! haha

MNEK isn't singing on L4L though, it's some other guy. I think MNEK is singing on one of the remixes, but I'm not sure it has been released.

Oh really? I could have sworn that is the male voice... especially since like you said, he has even more vocals on a remix and I saw his name mentioned in the credits somewhere.

Oh really? I could have sworn that is the male voice... especially since like you said, he has even more vocals on a remix and I saw his name mentioned in the credits somewhere.

I think Madonna or Diplo said that it was some guy who works with Diplo, and that he kind of sounds like MNEK. I'm going to try to find where I read it.

Guest Rachelle of London

Oh and i love just the great work of the female singer in LFL Grammys and Brits. What¡s the name???

Annette Bowen also known as Annie, she sings with the London Gospel Choir

Annie is incredible! She's the one on the album too????

Ugh, it's so weird to have that song for so long but not having the album to look at credits!

She HAS to keep Annie for the tour. i like her having three singers. Id love to see her have a male back up singer too - like the Virgin Tour!!!!

I have to say, the most disappointing thing since Donna & Nikki have left the scene is how abscent her backing vocalists are. theyre just buried in the mix under pre-recorded backing vocals. its pretty horrible. i loved the fact that her live stuff used to have such powerful backing vocals (Mainly Nikki Harris), and that it was always quite different from her self-harmonies on the records. Im thinking stuff like the 'Now I Know you're mine' on into the groove - it always sounded so incredible.

Its the one gaping hole for me about her live performances over the last decade. Even harking back to the Reinvention tour the Backing singers were just buried underneath everything.

^ Yes, I agree. And I think that applies not only to the backing vocals but also the instruments. Nearly everything is electronic these days, even the drums, so it doesn't have the resonance of live instruments. That's not just Madonna, though - modern pop shows in general have become high-tech karaoke.

For me it's all about Donna. Because you can have a Nikki Harris easily, but it's very difficult to have somebody like Donna, always on pint, perfect to emmulate Madonna's voice and give incredible power.

Guest Rachelle of London

For me it's all about Donna. Because you can have a Nikki Harris easily, but it's very difficult to have somebody like Donna, always on pint, perfect to emmulate Madonna's voice and give incredible power.

I agree and Kiley Dean tries but she sometimes misses the mark so much. The Grammys she was so off pitch and everyone was saying it was Madonna.

I was listening to the ROL album on the way home from work and really appreciated hearing Donna and Nikki on 'Nothing Really Matters'. Is that really the last time she had proper back ups (besides Pharrell and Justin on HC?)

I agree and Kiley Dean tries but she sometimes misses the mark so much. The Grammys she was so off pitch and everyone was saying it was Madonna.

Yes I noticed that too. I thought the "Took me to heaven..." bits especially sounded out of tune. And yet Madonna's own isolated vocal from the Grammys was fine.

There is a great documentary called 20 feet from Stardom that profiles some of the great backing singers down the years. Lisa Fischer (who sand with M at Live Aid 2005 - https://www.facebook.com/LisaFischerSings/posts/276926412492499) is one of them .

Its an amazing film to watch and really brings a new level of appreciation for the art of backing singers, and how it is a dying industry now, with less and less demand for backing singers due to modern recording techniques. I genuinely think it is sorely missing from modern music. it not only brings soul and warmth to a record, but it also brings added depth and layers of interest.

Im always hoping with every madonna record that she will bring in Donna & Nikki (that hope is fading with time), but it never happens - probably because of money mainly.