"Rebel Heart" Reviews [continued] - thread 2

That Guardian review is actually not bad at all!!

Although yet again I wish these reviewers would just focus on the music and not the celebrity/persona.....

so true

guys, remember- these guys need a "narrative" a "conflict" in order for the read to become interesting. they feel its boring if they say "it is amazing+++++" …. they need to say, "she almost made it, but not quite", then the reader wants to read why. i honestly feel though that a 4/5 review is fair for this album--- you have to review it in the context of her body of work and it stands alongside LAP and ROL and Music comfortably, thats the truth.

That Guardian review is actually not bad at all!!

Although yet again I wish these reviewers would just focus on the music and not the celebrity/persona.....

I agree. In the past, the Guardian has said really malicious things about her, so I was expecting the worst. But it's not that bad even though I don't agree with some of it.

People has a small positive blurb in their Picks section as Glinda reported previously (they don't seem to do actual reviews anymore). They list her at number 3 of 12, with Kelly Clarkson at 1 :laugh:

I think I confused the US Weekly and the People reviews. I saw both at the supermarket. It's the US one that had 3 1/2 stars. The picks section also includes movies, books and tv shows so I don't think the order means #1 is better than # 12.

That guy who says Live A Virgin is her "A" game must have very different taste than I do. LAV is one of my least favorite albums. It's odd that overall they have fairly positive things to say about the album but the grades are kind of low People sure hold her to an extremely high standard and grade harshly.

Americans must be brainwashed if they read these shit. :newspaper:

Of course Americans are brainwashed!

Some of M's past scores by Entertainment Weekly

Madonna A

Like a Virgin A

True Blue B

Who's That Girl D

Like A Prayer A

I'm Breathless A

TIC A

Erotica C+

Bedtime Stories B+

Something To Remember A

Ray of Light A-

Music A

American Life B-

Confessions B+

Hard Candy B+

Celebration A

MDNA B-

Rebel Heart B

For the most part they've been pretty fair. However, that Erotica is so low just shows that Madonna is judged more on public perception of her at the time than her actual output.

These scores are basically a parameter of her popularity over the past 30 years. Each score accurately reflects how the public was feeling that the time.

Any major reviews left? I guess only All Music Guide...

Many. All Music Guide, New York Times, Boston Globe, Chicago Tribune, Billboard

Guest Pud Whacker

Some of M's past scores by Entertainment Weekly

Madonna A

Like a Virgin A

True Blue B

Who's That Girl D

Like A Prayer A

I'm Breathless A

TIC A

Erotica C+

Bedtime Stories B+

Something To Remember A

Ray of Light A-

Music A

American Life B-

Confessions B+

Hard Candy B+

Celebration A

MDNA B-

Rebel Heart B

For the most part they've been pretty fair. However, that Erotica is so low just shows that Madonna is judged more on public perception of her at the time than her actual output.

These scores are basically a parameter of her popularity over the past 30 years. Each score accurately reflects how the public was feeling that the time.

Not really. Erotica is a bit of an uneven album. It's not a solid A, IMO.

Bye bye baby. Where life begins (lol). Thief of hearts. Did you do it?.

So had these songs being out:

Sex

Holy Water

Bitch I'm Madonna

RH would have better reviews? especially from those who consider them as "oh she's old, she shouldn' be doing this....oh it's her desperate way to connect with kids"...it just speaks volumes as to what they criticise is THE artist and not the music"...I know some of you here think she should stop including these "kind" of songs but they're much fun!

Guest Pud Whacker

Sex

Holy Water

Bitch I'm Madonna

RH would have better reviews? especially from those who consider them as "oh she's old, she shouldn' be doing this....oh it's her desperate way to connect with kids"...it just speaks volumes as to what they criticise is THE artist and not the music"...I know some of you here think she should stop including these "kind" of songs but they're much fun!

Listen to me people. If every disagreement regarding Madonna's work is going to turn into "it's because of her age", her fans are going to be her ultimate demise.

And that will really suck.

A lot of these reviewers just sound like THEY are getting old and aren't capable of accepting the 2015 version of Madonna. It seems like all critics do these days is talk about her age and criticize her for not acting her age. To some degree, perhaps her "posturing" on songs like BIM (as one critic put it) is a result of that constant scrutiny. As she says in JOA "I'm only human", should we be expecting her to be completed unaffected by all of this? BIM, HW, SEX are all classic Madonna in the sense that they are Madonna saying "fuck you" to her detractors in her typical humorous way. Its all taken so literally by some though. It's like when MG came out and they REALLY thought she was saying she's a gold digger or with Erotica/Sex they TRULY believed she was this nympho that liked to get raped by skinheads in some dingy sex club......this is just critics once again not getting the joke.

Not really. Erotica is a bit of an uneven album. It's not a solid A, IMO.

Bye bye baby. Where life begins (lol). Thief of hearts. Did you do it?.

I agree it's not an A.

But it's better than MDNA :laugh:

Sex

Holy Water

Bitch I'm Madonna

I love the fun, less serous side of Madonna and never want her to give that up. but I guess even a lot of people here just want the more serious artiste side. In fact, I think the singles that have been released or talked about, LFL, GT and DP are all the more serious "mature" heart songs. Can we please have one fun song as a single? I think Iconic needs to be a single!