"Rebel Heart" Reviews [continued] - thread 2

Guest Pud Whacker

I've already made commentary on Bitch, Iconic, Sex and Holy Water.

My opinion has NOTHING to do with age. Nothing.

Like Dr Lecter said, who cares? I'm in my 31st year of following Madonna and she's never let me down yet. Once upon a time, I cared how she did in the charts - would get nervous listening to the top 40 on a Sunday, would be a bulldog and defend her to the hilt, would be over the moon or upset about positive or negative reviews... Fuck that shit. We know this is a blinding record. I love everything I've heard. I appreciate some people won't. Many reviews will be written based on a perception of Madonna herself or having listened to a record twice at a press reviewing party (how can they properly appreciate an album after a couple of listens unless they're invested in the artist like we are? I'm sure the album will do just fine. I'm sure that the concert will be amazing for me while getting mixed reviews - in other words, pretty much standard and a replication of what's been happening since she started out. And as such, I'm sure I'll be blown away by the record when it lands in my iTunes library on Monday. Will it's performance on the charts affect my enjoyment? No. Not even a little bit. Whether it does brilliantly or not - commercially speaking that is - is no longer important to me. She is, always has been and always will be, the most relevant star out there. That's all there is to it.

Personally, I'm more interesting in seeing how music magazines such as Gaffa and Soundvenue will review the album..

Gaffa has previously given 3/6 ratings to Confessions... and Hard Candy, 4/6 ratings to Ray of Light, Music and MDNA, and a 5/6 rating to American Life. They also posted a separate review of the 6 tracks released in December, rating them 4/6 as a whole.

Yes, me 2, E.B really is an unimportant paper when it comes to music-reviews, most people dislike Treo and his nearly always nasty reviews... and I fine it way more interesting to see how the especially Gaffa wil review it... not that I often agree with Gaffa, because most of the time they also give bad reviews to the albums I like the most :rotfl:

Hmm I'm not going to read the NME review cause I don't ever read reviews but I will say that I'm surprised by the rating because they generally do like Madonna. I'm pretty sure they rated American Life 7/10 when all the other reviewers hated it etc.

Guest Pud Whacker

Some of us DO care about reviews, just like others care about charts or her hair. If you're that bothered by it, don't read this thread, simple pimple

It's always about the hair for me!!!!

Some of the reviews are yet again firstly full of the reviewer's little digs at Madonna before they even get around to talking about the new music. You can tell that they don't want to like the record as already bitching about her and therefore seem biased. Especially that New Zealand review.

When does the EW review come out?

Next week, I guess. I saw this week's issue with Empire on the cover also at the grocery store and it didn't have a RH review in the music section.

Guest Cassius

:lmao: at all the meltdown over some critics... Who cares about that? Seriously? Do you like the album or not? Do you like the songs or not? That's the only thing that matters.

Fans acting like they don't care critics. :lmao:Stop being hypocrites.

Critics/reviews do matter in music too. DEAL

Edited by Cassius

I don't know anyone who buys music based on critic reviews...movies yes but a song you can preview or listen and people know what style they like. They create a music community but not sure how much influence they have. There has to be some negative ones if people are honest, RH cannot please all. We also have to expect the backlash cycle to be quicker in the age of social media.....there was a strong positive vibe for this era and performances and also the cape incident gave her a lot of supporters...that will naturally mean the opposite force will start to come out stronger.

i searched for a review and saw 1 star and a half from sweden! WTF is wrong with those people?

Never ever go near Swedish reviews. The high profile ones are written by 30-something men who basically only listen to pretentious alt music, and who only love 80s Madonna+ROL and a bit of Confessions.

They're much like the general public. I don't even wanna know how they'll review the show in November... Fucking clowns.

I don't know anyone who buys music based on critic reviews...movies yes but a song you can preview or listen and people know what style they like. They create a music community but not sure how much influence they have. There has to be some negative ones if people are honest, RH cannot please all. We also have to expect the backlash cycle to be quicker in the age of social media.....there was a strong positive vibe for this era and performances and also the cape incident gave her a lot of supporters...that will naturally mean the opposite force will start to come out stronger.

I do sometimes. Like, I see something like, holy fuck, Joan Osborne is still making music, so I will check it out. Or who would have guesses BECK would be doing so well on I tunes. Yes, that was the Grammys, but I'm guessing most album of the year noms do get strong reviews beforehand.

Or I will sometimes read a review of an artist that sounds interesting.

I don't find the majority of new music this way, but it does help.

Fans acting like they don't care critics. :lmao: Stop being hypocrites.

Critics/reviews do matter in music too. DEAL

Well a lot of people around here don't care apparently.

Madonna is a fucking POP SINGER for gods sake. What else do you expect???? They will never accept the fact she's still there 30 years later. I don't have to read the critics to know this, thank you.

I'll wipe my ass with a bad review who fuckin cares seriously

:lmao: I love you.

Billboard, Boston Globe, and PopMatters will be positive so don't despair people.

Still waiting on EW...

They, along with RS,are the most well written and objective imo

They certainly weren't that way with MDNA. I remember the first line of the review was like "It's already clear after the first song (GGW) that Madonna is desperate to stay young blah blah blah"

I don't understand you people sometimes. We have seen lots of positive reviews and one NME review and some obscure international bitchfests from some Danish,Swedish, NewZealand papers and everyone is posting like we have had a deluge of bad reviews. I do not care if it is the biggest paper in Denmark or whatever...no one cares.

Yes the NME is looked at because they used to be read worthy in the music industry but they got a hack to write this review and the juvenile behaviour of Gavin whatshisface is obvious, so you use it to wrap yesterdays trash and you move the hell on. I am not saying people can not be upset but some of you are now exaggerating the drama so you can have a reason for your anger.

lets not turn this thread into a battle between the ones that complain and those who hate the ones that complain and just keep posting the reviews please

:thumbsup:

I like this approach. Personally, I come in here to read the good stuff! Interesting reviews shine new light on the album. Which is enjoyable!