"Rebel Heart" Reviews [continued] - thread 2

Im not sure why some fans here roll their eyes over other fans who are complaining about this.It's about correcting mistakes everyone could get right by a simple google search. he gets the simplest things wrong for a professional music publication who should be informed about it. imagine if we'd all just be quiet and agree with whatever is said..

i am thinking about the future & a lot of other people now who get their music knowledge from twitter accounts who may be writing articles for music publications in a few years..

God!! If only M gave a shit about reviews as some of you do lol

The "immature" tracks are as much Madonna as the mature ones. I'm happy that they are included in the album.

Me too, especially "Holy Water". Mljac!

She received 2 starts here in belgium from the most important french newspaper "le soir"...I thought that the reviewer hasnot listened the record as his review was mainly generalities/clichés about madonna..her pervious work...certain perceptions of her and a lot less about actual songs...e.g. the reviewer said that "illuminati" was her "dan brown" moment of the record and that "ghostown" was her gaga's :scared:

Truth is critical acclaim is good promotion for a record, whether we like it or not. Certainly did the trick for Ray of Light, Music and Confessions. Yes, they had the push of a lot of hit singles and exposure but it's a promotional tool just like any other.

It is especially important for indie and alternative bands to gain recognition. Madonna does not need that. Let's hope the absolute lack of interest in the first single is not reflected in the album sales because then we have a problem. Not one that cannot be surpassed of course - Erotica and American Life were panned and now considered classics - but don't be so silly to pretend critical support does not matter.

She received 2 starts here in belgium from the most important french newspaper "le soir"...I thought that the reviewer hasnot listened the record as his review was mainly generalities/clichés about madonna..her pervious work...certain perceptions of her and a lot less about actual songs...e.g. the reviewer said that "illuminati" was her "dan brown" moment of the record and that "ghostown" was her gaga's :scared:

i searched for a review and saw 1 star and a half from sweden! WTF is wrong with those people?

"Instead of having one producer at the helm, as ‘MNDA’ did with William Orbit, Madonna hired the biggest chart-humping names she could find."

:blink: Oh for fuck's sakes, who hires these hacks? The standards for reviews from big name magazines have really deteriorated over the years! They're no better than random high school newspaper reviews!

I wish there was a way to critique or review the reviewers! If, as they say, history is written by the winners, then these idiots will unfairly influence how people in the future will view M's legacy. They are already trying to minimize her influence on the folktronica sound. At least I'm glad she's doing a lot of performances on tv, so people can listen and decide for themselves what they think of the new music.

True, but...

BIM

HW

SEX

These are the THREE "stupid" songs from a 24-song set. Or THREE "stupid" songs from a 19-song set. Or TWO "stupid" songs from a 14-song set.

I don't see why the focus of reviews need to be on them; much less why they should drag down an overall album score, no?

I think this is part of the point some of us have been trying to make for the past 40 pages.

You do make a good point.

And I actually like Holy Water.

But yeah I agree with Pud/ Steven :lol: ... The whole preoccupation with critics is just as bad as the chart preoccupation. I read reviews here and there cuz they're interesting but I know people always have an agenda when discussing Madonna. Taylor effing Swift gets critical love... Yeah. Right now she's hailed as the Da Vinci of pop :lmao: Let's not read into it too much :lol:

i searched for a review and saw 1 star and a half from sweden! WTF is wrong with those people?

I really don't know what think of it...seeing the importance of the publications...I've expected some professionalism under a form of an argumentation to explain their ratings ... :(

additionally this "le soir" reviewer said that overall "rebel heart" record sounds like something one normally hears at "tomorrowland" ?!?!?!

The first Danish press review of Rebel Heart has arrived, in the most-read Danish newspaper! It's quite mixed, but no one here in Denmark takes that particular reviewer seriously as he seems to dislike 99% of all albums he reviews. If he hates it, it must be good. ;)

Anyway, here's my rough translation of the review.

Madonna: A stupid blonde

The pop veteran buries a handful of good songs in lots of mediocrity.
Madonna is just too much. And there's just too much of her on Rebel Heart.
The superstar's 13th studio album is a frustrating tawdry affair in which she vulgarly sings about oral sex, compares herself to Joan of Arc while referring to herself as a bitch.
From time to time, Madonna's self representation is quite entertaining, but with 19 tracks on the Deluxe edition and no less than 25 tracks on the Super Deluxe edition, Rebel Heart verges on delusions of grandeur coming from a stupid blonde.
The 14 tracks of the Standard edition are more than enough and if you've heard the 7 songs that were released in December, you've already heard all the highlights of the album.

Rebel Heart sees the 56-year-old Queen of Pop still trying to escape her age. One again, in an attempt at keeping the many pop princesses off her throne, she has joined forces with a bunch of assembly-line songwriters and producers who were fairly trendy a couple of years ago.

Praising her own juices
This time, she has hired Diplo, Avicii and Kanye West, among others, to wrap up her songs in the sounds of today, intermittently managing to once again rule the dance floor.
"Unapologetic Bitch" is based on an infectious Jamaican-style beat while "Illuminati" sticks out with its titillating electro groove. The somewhat untypical "Devil Pray" is a very successful attempt of combining folk and dance, but not even the relatively short Standard edition of the album manages to keep up steam all the way through. The songs on the second half of the record are mediocre at best.
"Iconic" is hopelessly awkward with an annoying intro by Mike Tyson, who seems even more out of place than he would if he were to appear on Dancing With The Stars. In "Joan of Arc", Madonna claims to be the victim of persecution at the hands of the media, grotesquely comparing the media's interest in her to the witch-hunt on the national heroine of France. The unsexy "Holy Water" is a tribute to Madonna's own juices. To make matter's worse, on the Super Deluxe edition, it's followed by another 13 fillers.
Long story short, Rebel Heart is too much of nothing.
Rating: 3/6

yeah but you know, we're not supposed to be complain because its irreverent what people think, right? well guess what. people read that shit and often believe it. that's why its so good and important that madonna is promoting her music and performing so people can hear for themselves how good it is.

a lot of haters like to put her down and use their poison pen to do it with. it's all the same: about her age, and even assuming she didn't write any of it and other people sang it in. (new zealand one)

After all "the proof is in the pudding"...and this time around she has both amazing material and great way to show to the world...so, the world will hopefully react accordingly :thumbsup:

The first Danish press review of Rebel Heart has arrived! It's quite mixed, but no one here in Denmark takes that particular reviewer seriously as he seems to dislike 99% of all albums he reviews. If he hates it, it must be good. ;)

Treo hates pop-music, so I would be shocked if he gave it more than 3 stars... apart from that he is quite often writing nasty reviews... so you are right, most people do not care about his writings...

Well, here's some good news. There's a very positive review in this week's People magazine. I believe it's 3 1/2 out of 4 stars. It says it's her best record in a decade. I don't know if it's online but I saw it while waiting in line at the supermarket. I guess People isn't taken seriously but they've always given her very positive reviews.

NME is a indie rock magazine. They clearly have no understanding or appreciation of pop music. They really shouldn't review pop records and just stick to the area of expertise.

The first Danish press review of Rebel Heart has arrived, in the most-read Danish newspaper! It's quite mixed, but no one here in Denmark takes that particular reviewer seriously as he seems to dislike 99% of all albums he reviews. If he hates it, it must be good. ;)

Anyway, here's my rough translation of the review.

Madonna: A stupid blonde

The pop veteran buries a handful of good songs in lots of mediocrity.
Madonna is just too much. And there's just too much of her on Rebel Heart.
The superstar's 13th studio album is a frustrating tawdry affair in which she vulgarly sings about oral sex, compares herself to Joan of Arc while referring to herself as a bitch.
From time to time, Madonna's self representation is quite entertaining, but with 19 tracks on the Deluxe edition and no less than 25 tracks on the Super Deluxe edition, Rebel Heart verges on delusions of grandeur coming from a stupid blonde.
The 14 tracks of the Standard edition are more than enough and if you've heard the 7 songs that were released in December, you've already heard all the highlights of the album.

Rebel Heart sees the 56-year-old Queen of Pop still trying to escape her age. One again, in an attempt at keeping the many pop princesses off her throne, she has joined forces with a bunch of assembly-line songwriters and producers who were fairly trendy a couple of years ago.

Praising her own juices

This time, she has hired Diplo, Avicii and Kanye West, among others, to wrap up her songs in the sounds of today, intermittently managing to once again rule the dance floor.
"Unapologetic Bitch" is based on an infectious Jamaican-style beat while "Illuminati" sticks out with its titillating electro groove. The somewhat untypical "Devil Pray" is a very successful attempt of combining folk and dance, but not even the relatively short Standard edition of the album manages to keep up steam all the way through. The songs on the second half of the record are mediocre at best.
"Iconic" is hopelessly awkward with an annoying intro by Mike Tyson, who seems even more out of place than he would if he were to appear on Dancing With The Stars. In "Joan of Arc", Madonna claims to be the victim of persecution at the hands of the media, grotesquely comparing the media's interest in her to the witch-hunt on the national heroine of France. The unsexy "Holy Water" is a tribute to Madonna's own juices. To make matter's worse, on the Super Deluxe edition, it's followed by another 13 fillers.
Long story short, Rebel Heart is too much of nothing.
Rating: 3/6

Stupid blonde

:dead:

Well, here's some good news. There's a very positive review in this week's People magazine. I believe it's 3 1/2 out of 4 stars. It says it's her best record in a decade. I don't know if it's online but I saw it while waiting in line at the supermarket. I guess People isn't taken seriously but they've always given her very positive reviews.

NME is a indie rock magazine. They clearly have no understanding or appreciation of pop music. They really shouldn't review pop records and just stick to the area of expertise.

That's good! I'm glad the more popular publications like USA Today and People like it and reviewed it well. So far this does sound to me like a more pop, more accessible album, maybe that;s why the elitist mags didn't review it better.

Ekstra Bladet, is a daily gossip paper, so not a elitist magazine, quite the opposite ;-)

Personally, I'm more interesting in seeing how music magazines such as Gaffa and Soundvenue will review the album..

Gaffa has previously given 3/6 ratings to Confessions... and Hard Candy, 4/6 ratings to Ray of Light, Music and MDNA, and a 5/6 rating to American Life. They also posted a separate review of the 6 tracks released in December, rating them 4/6 as a whole.