"Rebel Heart" Reviews [continued] - thread 2

As i said about the NME check if this is not from theirs blogs section and this is a contributor not a professional reviewer. I don't want to give it a hit by checking myself. Is it staff or contributors, is it in the review section or blogs ?

album review section

About the NME check if this is not from their blogs section and if this is a contributor and not a professional reviewer. I don't want to give it a hit by checking myself. Is it staff or contributors, is it in the review section or blogs ?

It's definitely the review. He's a journalist.

Guest HaveASit

I agree some reviews are pathetic, but to blame little monsters is a bit dramatic. NME considered BTW the most overrated album of 2011 and Artpop has a metascore lower than MDNA. So its not like all of a sudden music critics are Gaga fans that hate Madonna. This is just the same old criticism she always received.

:lmao: at all the meltdown over some critics... Who cares about that? Seriously? Do you like the album or not? Do you like the songs or not? That's the only thing that matters.

I agree some reviews are pathetic, but to blame little monsters is a bit dramatic. NME considered BTW the most overrated album of 2011 and Artpop has a metascore lower than MDNA. So its not like all of a sudden music critics are Gaga fans that hate Madonna. This is just the same old criticism she always received.

check out their vote for blahrtfartpoop

very upset to learn about NME's review. it will bring the overall score in Metacritic to 65 :mad:

Anyway, here I'm hoping to have at least a few other reviews in the range of 70-80. I think we can expect a good review from Billboard, and there's still one from the quietus + NY times and Boston Globe among others.

There was this guy from The Record, Jay Lustig who initially said: "with the songs from Rebel Heart she was able to create potentially successful singles despite the different styles of the tracks, thereby maintaining consistency in the record."

but not sure if this review will count for metacritic if it ever gets published.

There was also one guy from the Boston Herald who said good things when the first six songs were released, but again not sure if it counts.

Edited by frozenlight

NME gave Born This Way 8/10 despite more than one Madonna comparison (see Scheisse to Erotica):

http://www.nme.com/reviews/lady-gaga/12061

It's a review full of low blows, but poorly written and blatant in its sexism.

I only agree that Madonna needs to stop making stupid songs like BIM which yes, sound hugely disconnected from her life and are extremely infantile. She's entitled to express herself however she wants, but if you ask my opinion there it is. Since when does Madonna party like Ke$ha? It's just not convincing.

Anyway. The review sounds like it was written in 2 minutes by a 19 year old. Who briefly glanced at a Wikipedia page on RH. Hire a new staff, NME.

Since when this reviewer or you know her life? I think Madonna parties harder than Kesha..

BIM has been getting a better response from GP than LFL. And she's making a new trend with Sophie, not following.

People need to relax with acting like Gaga and the Monsters have some type of influence in the world. Madonna could buy and sell Gaga ten times over. Gaga is not some power player in the industry. And her fans have no influence over the world beyond a blog here and there.

Yes, the NME review is a joke, but many of her reviews have been for decades. It's not a conspiracy.

Erotica era would have had some of you in the hospital, and that's no exaggeration.

I only agree that Madonna needs to stop making stupid songs like BIM which yes, sound hugely disconnected from her life and are extremely infantile. She's entitled to express herself however she wants, but if you ask my opinion there it is. Since when does Madonna party like Ke$ha? It's just not convincing.

True, but...

BIM

HW

SEX

These are the THREE "stupid" songs from a 24-song set. Or THREE "stupid" songs from a 19-song set. Or TWO "stupid" songs from a 14-song set.

I don't see why the focus of reviews need to be on them; much less why they should drag down an overall album score, no?

I think this is part of the point some of us have been trying to make for the past 40 pages.

True, but...

BIM

HW

SEX

These are the THREE "stupid" songs from a 24-song set. Or THREE "stupid" songs from a 19-song set. Or TWO "stupid" songs from a 14-song set.

I don't see why the focus of reviews need to be on them; much less why they should drag down an overall album score, no?

I think this is part of the point some of us have been trying to make for the past 40 pages.

Agree with you, but it's not like we all didn't see this coming, and so did Madonna. She ain't changing her fucking album for no one.

True, but...

BIM

HW

SEX

Agree completely. They are such a small percentage of the album, that I don't get why the way such power to bring down scores so much.

I'm glad she did them, though. Seethe haters! Plus, whatever opinion people have on the lyrics, BIM and Holy Water have fantastic production that alone justifies their inclusion.

Agree with you, but it's not like we all didn't see this coming, and so did Madonna. She ain't changing her fucking album for no one.

true. Don't think Madonnas not perfectly aware that she could get good reviews by putting her clothes on, singing a bunch of ballads and mid tempos with maybe a restrained dance number here or there and letting herself succumb to expectations about her age.

Also, songs like BIM, HW and SEX are supposed to be funny and tongue in cheek so who cares if they're disconnected from her life. Papa don't preach was disconnected from her life, - so what if these songs are too?

People need to relax with acting like Gaga and the Monsters have some type of influence in the world. Madonna could buy and sell Gaga ten times over. Gaga is not some power player in the industry. And her fans have no influence over the world beyond a blog here and there.

Yes, the NME review is a joke, but many of her reviews have been for decades. It's not a conspiracy.

Erotica era would have had some of you in the hospital, and that's no exaggeration.

i do think she cares and wants the work to be received positively. I just expect more professionalism from a music website like NME of all places, it's a serious publication. yet now a teenage looking journalist who doesn't know anything about music can say madonna is inspired by gaga when M is the one who created the folk-tronica sound as someone else pointed out. for NME. not for a stupid music blog.

it's just sad to see because I think about what may happen in the future. hope this review of NME isn't gonna become the standard in 10 years.

Finally read the NME review, it doesn't make me angry but it's quite evident that the music wasn't really being reviewed. He doesn't like Madonna and that's it

It's quite interesting the more negatuve reviews have focused on her rather than the music. Cunts

I can't help but to think many publications are just angry because they are not getting an interview when others get one. And it's their revenge for being rejected or ignored. Especially the young writers (I don't use the term journalist anymore because their work do not represent what journalism is all about) because they are entitled assholes who believe they have some kind of power becasue they write reviews and therefore deserve an interview. And since a review is always a subjective matter they can write what they want.

Look, RTL Exclusiv is the perfect example. The were always very negative when then had a report on her. Then she gave them an interview when she opened the Hard Candy gym in Berlin and all of a sudden they were nicer. They had the chance to interview her for Rebel Heart. And now, probably realizing they will not get an interview in the near future, the start to become negative again. Mostly because she is old. Yet, Kylie, 46, is doing a brilliant job, selling her lingerie almost naked. And no, she is not that botoxed as everyone thinks, because she is a nice person.

Anyway, Madonna is laughing all the way to the bank, so we should not really care about the bad reviews. I would like to remind you of one really famous quote: "Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one."

NME "review" was ridiculous! The saddest thing is he couldn't even get the facts right... RH EDM? MDNA wholly produced by Orbit. This nothing should be reported on his poor facts checking and his obvious agenda. I mean wasn't Aura cheap dance? How can that compare to DP that is mix of folk and electronic music? How can this review be taken seriously really? And yes I love RH minus 2-3 immature songs that she insists including God knows why on every album since HC.

True, but...

BIM

HW

SEX

YES!!! Thank you!!! That's the thing - nobody is saying critics HAVE to like these songs. If they hate it, so be it. But why dismiss the whole album as "juvenile" or "embarassing" and drag it down just because of these THREE songs? They're acting like Rebel Heart is full of sex-me-up and party songs, yet the huge majority of the songs deal with entirely different topics.

Besides that, many critics are not even dragging these songs because of their musical quality or the lyrics - that's not what most of them are bothered by. Most of them are bothered by WHO is singing these songs. They can't take it a woman close to 60 years is not just singing about love or heartbreak, but also about having pool parties and sex. Just take the NME review for example. What's their argument for their BIM critic? Right. That she comes across as unconvincing. Once again, people are bothered by Madonna as the woman that she is, instead of objectively reviewing the songs. And that's what pisses off fans.

Agree completely. They are such a small percentage of the album, that I don't get why the way such power to bring down scores so much.

I'm glad she did them, though. Seethe haters! Plus, whatever opinion people have on the lyrics, BIM and Holy Water have fantastic production that alone justifies their inclusion.

Yes, I'm glad they're out there... Although they'll both be in my "bonus tracks" section of my RH playlist soon (SEX can stay) :madgemanson:

And absolutely – she was aware of what their inclusion might "cost" her. She's an extremely cultured person. But she still thought including them was worth it, and I find that really cool. The production is tight, and she's putting a lot of humor in both the lyrics and her vocals this time around. She's not phoning it in at all, and that to me makes their inclusion worth it.