We NEED to push Ghosttown HARDCORE.

Are we suppose to really sit here and believe in the day of hardly no landlines that radio stations are randomly calling people and asking if there are tweens in the house and can mom and dad put them on the phone to hear 5 seconds of a song? LMAO

Exactly. Fucking liars.

Are we suppose to really sit here and believe in the day of hardly no landlines that radio stations are randomly calling people and asking if there are tweens in the house and can mom and dad put them on the phone to hear 5 seconds of a song? LMAO

No radio station cares about teens. That's why One Direction FLOP hard on radio even though they sell tons of albums and tickets. Top40 stations only care about females 18-34.

There are many ways radio stations test their music. Call out, online surveys, focus groups who use devices to rate songs and even portable devices. Technology now even allows them to track if people tend to change station when a certain song is on or if listeners tend to tune in when another song is on. They use the PPM meters, portable devices that detect sound. That's how the measurement of ratings is conducted too.

Why do you think Madonna is by far the most played older artist on AC radio? Because her research results on her 80s hits have always been amazing.

Never ever met anyone that has been included in radio research…its a farce.

I just read that radio stations target audience is under 25 for top 40.

Edited by seaguy27

What do you mean it is farce? Radio is a business. There is fierce competition among stations for ratings. They obsessively test their music.

Why does AC radio play the hell out of Madonna? There is some secret agenda among thousands of music directors, stations and broadcasting companies that Madonna's old songs should be forced down people's throat? Her 80s songs bring money. And that's the reason they do not play Mariah, Janet, Celiene etc. as much. Because their hits have not aged well and do not bring as much revenue and ratings as Madonna does.

Something being a business does not exempt it from having aspects of it being a "farce". I believe "in general" the radio stations influence what their listeners listen to more than the other way around. It is also largely a sales game heavily pushed by the labels to teenagers who are the prime demo for most top 40. These listeners more than anyone tend to be followers more than music listeners who seek out their own taste. Rather that works in favor of Madonna or against is irrelevant to my opinion.

Something being a business does not exempt it from having aspects of it being a "farce". I believe "in general" the radio stations influence what their listeners listen to more than the other way around. It is also largely a sales game heavily pushed by the labels to teenagers who are the prime demo for most top 40. These listeners more than anyone tend to be followers more than music listeners who seek out their own taste. Rather that works in favor of Madonna or against is irrelevant to my opinion.

AC is a different animal as it caters to a vastly different audience who wants to hear what they liked when they grew up…Madonna's 80s hits more than anyone is the soundtrack to their youth, I grew up during it so believe me I know what it was like.

In relation to what gets played on radio and what doesn't: "Blurred Lines" the single cost 6.9 million dollars to become a hit:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/melindanewman/2015/03/05/heres-how-it-cost-6-9-million-to-make-robin-thickes-blurred-lines-a-hit/

There is always a budget-cost if you want a song to become a big hit. Hung Up had an ENORMOUS budget. Madonna's lead singles always had bid budgets behing them to be pushed properly in every single country. That has been the problem under the livenation deal. You invest in something in order to make more money out of it.

There is always a budget-cost if you want a song to become a big hit. Hung Up had an ENORMOUS budget. Madonna's lead singles always had bid budgets behing them to be pushed properly in every single country. That has been the problem under the livenation deal. You invest in something in order to make more money out of it.

I understand that- thats' the point of Promo. I do think $6.9 is excessive. Less than 5% of today's biggest acts will get enough money back from this kind of investment to justify it. This prices are inflated no doubt. This is why the music industry as we know is dying- who gets a hit has been determined by Labels / Radio / Concert Promoters. All prices inflated and people are just not going to be spending $20 on every single song they like (if they buy album i.e.) just so they maintain this Status Quo.

The album is now a promotion element for the tour. The Tour being the what really makes money. Amazing music does need to be made in order to keep interest and legacy alive. But you can't be spending $10 dollars to promote an album only. This is why when Rebel Heart leaked back in January they didn't even change their promotional plans- they didn't care so much that the album had leaked because their main priority is not to promote the album only- it is to promote the tour in the context of this album.

Anyways…. its an industry thats influx and its interesting to see how each artist deals with it differently.