Madonna to cover Vanity Fair Italia by Terry Richardson

To call Richardson untalented is being incredibly delusional. You can be a cunt of, oh God forbid, a Gaga friend, and still be talented. And that photoshoot is one of the best that Madonna has done in YEARS.

K. I called him mostly untalented. Some of his work is good, but I don't like the most of it.

Well, to be fair i don't like it when he goes all kinky and is with cocks and things like that, hahahaha. But other portraits are glorious and is one of the very few that have worked with the most important people of the world.

I didn't like the Harper's Bazaar photoshoot and I don't really think Terry's talented either. Sorry.

Maybe I just don't see it, but all he does is letting celebrities pose in front of a white wall and photograph them. There is no subtlety in it, no warmth, nothing. I'm all for simple photoshoots, but that's just lazy and meaningless.

The HB photoshoot turned out good because of the costumes M was wearing and because of the woman herself. She has so much power and aura she could be photographed by the shittiest photographer ever and still look captivating. But if you only focus on the artistic quality of the photos, there is pretty much nothing to write about. Cold, sterile, a big fat nothing.

There is no issue in this case with re-using a photoshoot. She was on the cover of Vanity Fair Italia when MDNA came out twice in the span of two months and in the first one they used a 1987 Ritts shot. It would instead be an issue if they were passing the Hearst/Bazaar shooting onto Conde Nast/ main English edition of VF

That'll obviously never be the case, that would be dumb and pointless indeed. Italian audiences have never seen the Richardson shoot before, except for Italian Madonna fans of course. So I don't see a reason to complain to be honest. Also, the shoot was done 18 months ago not like 18 years ago and it fits with the aesthetic for this era

Now, Terry Richardson is a whole other matter but he's the photographer of "the industry" du jour

I agree with Nonoka, I think he's untalented and boring with his repetitve, bland jail mugshot type of shoots but thanks to Madonna's charisma, star quality, knowledge of the camera, plus the wardrobe and styling chosen somehow she made that 2013 photoshoot seem great. I'm happy that Italian people are getting to see these pics, she looks great and I love all that colour, for a change

Thank you XXL! Antoher wonderful interview, love her answers!

You're welcome :thumbsup:

If anyone's got the scans I'm happy to translate the whole interview, can't reach a newsstand right now

Guest Rachelle of London

I don't like him, but I like his work. I hope this true tumblr_nhci5yv01c1u70ed8o10_250.gif

I saw her in Tesco Express in Paddington! She said she gets recognised EVERYWHERE

Guest Rachelle of London

I dont think he's talented at all. His usual mode is to get models to pose in front of a white background and snap. Hardly groundbreaking

I dont think he's talented at all.

His usual mode is to get models to pose in front of a white background and snap. Hardly groundbreaking

Don't you love jail mugshots? :D

Over and over and over

Full article no logo and in digital scans...for italian readers

http://squaremadonnaicongallery.altervista.org/2015-vanity-fair-italy-11-march-issue/

Thank you!!

I limited myself to Q&A (the introduction is always the same thing where she explains the rules of the drinking game plus the journalist doing a recap of her career, private life and citing some of the lyircs from the album).

Who gets to decide whether a question is good or not?

Only I can do that: let's say I'm the favoured one in this game
I'm not sure I can drink, this is a cover piece
I can't make an exception, everyone's got to drink. And you know you're going to like it
Who doesn't love Tequila after all?
See, I knew it. But the other rule is that you can't ask stupid question on purpose, simply because you want to get drunk.
OK then, let me try with this question: do you really feel like a survivor?
Absolutely. A survivalist to be exact, a survival professional: if you are an artist there's always some punishment for what you do or a form of self-flagellation. Whether one admits it or not.
In RH you say that you need to be a masochist in order to do your job
You also need to be a narcissist, constantly craving other people's eyes on you, otherwise you're never going to be able to stand roaring on top of a mountain. But most of all, you must suffer because the same fire that inspires you is also burning you. That is particularly true at the beginning, before people start accepting you. But even today, if you try to do something different you get punished for it.

Now they are punishing you for your age or am I wrong?

You're absolutely right

They say you navigate through social media waters clumsily and that you can't pose topless at your age

56 to be exact

It's referred to as ageism in English

Which means: discrimination based on a person's age. There is no difference between ageism, racism or homophobia. The cause is always limited knowledge, ignorance fostering fear and fear creating a willingness to destroy through criticism. What is the point? Show me the "How To Behave At A Certain Age" handbook. As far as I know there is no such thing in existence.

They also criticise you because you date younger boys

The truth is I can do it so I'll do it again. In this case though ageism is connected to good old sexism: if I were a man nobody would even think about expressing criticism in this regard.

Does age protect you from suffering when you are in love?

And why should it? You do know this is another tequila question, right?

Ok then, let's change the subject. What does it feel like for your children having a mother like you?

I hope I can instill my rebel heart into them as well. I try but it's difficult to predict what route they're going to take, they are still teenagers. I try to offer them an example: they see a woman who fights for gay rights, for children orphaned by Aids, for the right of Muslim women to get an education. They see me never backing down an inch from who I am and what I believe in. They see a warrior who has never stopped working for a second throughout her entire life. Obviously they're also aware of criticism, they read insults aimed at me on social media and they get hurt by it but they also understand how important it is to follow one's path.

Do you already see the results of that?

Yes I do. Lourdes is 18 and says things that make me realise she's very mindful of women's rights and how we are treated around the world. And Rocco the other day told me: "Mum, mum, you know, I think my girlfriend is a feminist" and I said "Great news". He told me she's a photographer, a film-maker and that she's also into poetry. I told him I was happy for him. If that's the type of woman he's attracted to it means I'm influencing him in this direction.

Do you pray a lot?
Every morning with my children and not just with them. I try to make space for the ritual of prayer, for that moment when you acknowledge and give thanks for what you would otherwise give for granted in life. It's also important to invoke the angels.
Do you think you have a guardian angel?
I think there are many angels ready to help us and our job is to call on them, when you do that, they come to you.
As a student of the Koran what did you think about the Charlie Hebdo massacre in Paris?
Artists who foster discussion through provocation are the ones at risk the most at the moment.
You said you have a feeling that Europe is going through a resurgence of Nazi-Germany like racism and intolerance but don't you think Pope Francesco is right when he says there are limits to religious provocation?
This is also true and I've always personally experienced it on my skin. But paying with one's life is unacceptable and it's blasphemous to think one could kill in the name of religion. We should focus on what unites us rather than what divides us.
She uses her whistle and I'm about to say goodbye but she stops me saying: "Before you go you must do something else". And I think that the moment for me to drink that Tequila has finally come but she pulls out a little plastic cushion with the word FUCK emblazoned on it
"You must absolutely try the FUCK button". I ask her how it works. "Ask any question, one that's been left out".
In the album you constantly refer to yourself as a BITCH, una stronza, is it that important to be one in order to survive as a Madonna?
She smiles and then proceeds to violently press the button and here's the answer coming out of it FUCK YES! Totally coincidental of course