Is MADONNA's airplay and chart relevance still important to you?

mtzlplk

Did you buy any 4M singles? HC album? HC limited album? etc?

I dislike AL.

Even though I had played them after every single purchase, I still dislike it.

How many different countries version of AL I have so far?

Did you buy any 4M singles? HC album? HC limited album? etc?

I dislike AL.

Even though I had played them after every single purchase, I still dislike it.

How many different countries version of AL I have so far?

The only Madonna cd single i haven't bought is Me Against the Music, because i live in a world where that single is a Britney one and not a Madonna one, hahaha. Don't like that song at all!

I bought everything released for HC and MDNA. That's why I wonder why millions of fans dont' buy millions of singles, yet they buy millions of tickets!

No, i don't care about chart positions. What I care is that she is true to her real self and follows her artistic vision.

Having said this, I think all of us (well the ones who still care at least) want her to succeed and always be on top - so sometimes I understand when people feels sad and confused given her recent chart outcomes.

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT "THE ONLY WOMAN" WHO IS IN THE TOP 5 OF THE MOST SUCCESSFUL MUSICIANS OF ALL TIME... WHO IS THE MOST SUCCESSFUL FEMALE RECORDING ARTIST OF ALL TIME... SHE HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO PROVE. AS HER SONG GOES...

SHE CAME

SHE SAW

SHE CONQUERED

MADONNA WILL ALWAYS HAVE THAT MOMENT BECAUSE AT THE END OF THE DAY, WITH THE PASSING OF THE KING... SHE IS THE SOLE ONE LEADING THE PACK!

LONG LIVE THE QUEEN OF POP!

To answer the question....

Of course I do. Bitch, she's Madonna.

Will it change my admiration? No!

But I care. She didn't become the Queen by scoring Bubbling Under "hits" and not having airplay....

But all good things come to an end.

And if this is the end then let it come.

Let it rain, let it wash all over me.

1331230941_crazy_lady_at_the_library.gif

I don't care, but I do care if she's TRYING for them and not getting them. Because that's failing, and I don't want her to fail. If she wasn't tailoring her sound (and image) to what's current, and she got no airplay and chart success, there would be no loss would there?

And ironically, the only way back to the top for her WILL be to stop trying to sound like everyone else, and start trying NOT to sound like anyone else. Because that's how comebacks are made. 'The moment I let go of it was the moment I got more than I could handle' as ALANIS would say.

^ But Living For Love is a good example of her just doing her, and it's going completely unnoticed.

There are a few songs on RH that fit your description but they weren't chosen for first single. And the a solid majority of RH is not really chart-chasing at all. So I really just think Madonna has come to the point where A) people aren't really clamoring to hear her music like they once were and B) for people to want to listen, she has to have solid label and management pushing for her, which she doesn't really have anymore. That combination is what has resulted in the overnight indifference. That's my theory anyway

No there was a time when I loved seeing her roaring up the charts. However I look at all the rubbish there is now plus the unfair adding of streams and radio play and think imo that the charts should be on sales. Not on airplay or streams as anyone can control what the audiences listens to. Streaming is another awful idea imo as it should be on sales and people going out or the case of nowadays going on iTunes and buying the record.

I actually think streaming is a great idea, at least the artists/labels make some money versus people downloading illegally. Through advertisements and such like on Spotify, youtube, etc. I think if NO ONE ever purchased music, though, I think they would be in trouble.

Oh, and I didn't purchase MDNA. I just didn't like it except for maybe two songs, and there are just so many other artists and M albums I would rather listen to.

Just think, if everyone automatically bought everything she did, she might've recorded with Solveig again or done MDNA part II or something.

No there was a time when I loved seeing her roaring up the charts. However I look at all the rubbish there is now plus the unfair adding of streams and radio play and think imo that the charts should be on sales. Not on airplay or streams as anyone can control what the audiences listens to. Streaming is another awful idea imo as it should be on sales and people going out or the case of nowadays going on iTunes and buying the record.

A huge distinction must be made between the prestige of holding the charts captive during Madonna's lengthy heyday versus today's advert-minded streaming fluff.

They still matter to me. I'm a chart geek so I'm always looking at charts (and doing my own lists). But they wont change my personal opinion about something. American Life is my all-time favorite album, for example.

Low chart positions and airplay makes me unhappy because Madonna honestly (especially right now) doesn't deserve those. It just feels unfair.

The thing is, the charts aren't even the same thing as they were back in their heyday. The rules are completely different. Everything is controlled and manipulated by money and corporations. It's not even a very fair comparison.

Given what has been ruling the airwaves and charts over the last decade or more...you can't really be surprised.

Then there are all the other obvious reasons she doesn't get a fair shot.

I'm just glad she made her mark during the time she did... now, it is deliberately manipulated to favor the next core group of young corporate projects.

I used to cause i want her songs to be heard by many people but i give up long time ago. I think i became immune already since Erotica (my first era as a fan) radio stations here in my country only play the first singles or nothin at all. But i survived as a fan. Erotica and American Life are two of my fave albums. The singles didnt chart here nor played on the radio. But It didnt lessen my enjoyment of her music through the years. Really the music that matters.

To record companies, chart position is nothing.... i recalled that they prefer album sales to singles... that airplay would also meant nothing...

But she does not have airplay n radio refused to play her songs... she's not the only one... bruce springsteen, prince... the surviving titans of the 80s... i guess their situations are far worst...

No. Madonna has joined all her other contemporaries in that respect... Prince, MJ, the boss, U2, etc. Radio and especially top 40 stations are geared towards a younger audience so it makes perfect sense that she is not getting any love from radio since AL. "4 minutes" was an exception due to JT but that single is one of my least faves from her...

The thing is, the charts aren't even the same thing as they were back in their heyday. The rules are completely different. Everything is controlled and manipulated by money and corporations. It's not even a very fair comparison.

Given what has been ruling the airwaves and charts over the last decade or more...you can't really be surprised.

Then there are all the other obvious reasons she doesn't get a fair shot.

I'm just glad she made her mark during the time she did... now, it is deliberately manipulated to favor the next core group of young corporate projects.

Exactly.

I've been a Billboard fan since '87, and just loved the weekly competition... My interested started waning around Nothing Fails, but got some occasional revivals whenever she has a lead single out there..

For me this is new territory, a lead single failing to chart high Worldwide. We are used to chart underperformance in the US but not outside...

The untimely release and the rule changes affected the LFL performance... Madonna can still be a chart force worldwide with just a little effort in strategies...

This wonderful promo era is amazing of course coming off the mdna ntp era... but that's exactly it, proper timing and strategy can place a MADONNA lead single in the Top 10 like GMAYL... which LFL just didnt have.

All of that being said, NO AMOUNT OF CHART FLOPS can affect my obsession for Madonna, it will never diminish esp now that she will tour Southeast Asia, it is going to reach a new peak i can feel it...

It's never been for me, there are songs of hers that I love that haven't been chart toppers. One of my favourite albums of hers is Bedtime Stories, moreso than the critically acclaimed Ray of Light. I like what I like and I never let others dictate my opinions, that goes for Madonna and other artists as well. For instance, I never liked Mariah and I actually enjoyed some of the songs on her latest album, and it certainly didn't do well.

I have closely followed her on Usa & uk charts since 1985 so it's hard to ignore that. As long as she still makes "pop" music, chart is still important to me as it is to her..

Although these days I've growned to accept the fact that a #1 on billboard or uk singles chart is getting less likely for her, I still hope at least she gets to top 10 ..