Is MADONNA's airplay and chart relevance still important to you?

mtzlplk

I know that we shouldn't try to expect her chart performance nowadays to be as strong as in the 80s and 90s... and that all the money is in the touring business... but is her poor airplay obviously because of ageism, and poor chart showing because of her incompetent chart strategists frustrate you sometimes?

Getting frustrated about it is normal for fans right? Because we want the best for our favorite artist, but is making the effort NOW, futile for such a successful worldwide artist like MADONNA...

I guess it's time for us to let go.

It seems weird that it is ALL about age, since she had radio hits just three years ago. 57 is too old, but 54 wasn't it???

Make more sense that it is because she left Warner, but she did have radio hits with MNDA, so that can't completely it, either.

Or that she has more competitors making dance/pop than ever before? Like Giorgio Moroder, said dance music is pop music.

Combination of all three?

Or maybe radio will like Ghosttown better.

In any event, damn, she was a radio darling in pop music for over 30 YEARS! Damn, that is a long time.

yes, it´s important to me, but I understand that a lot of things that could go wrong with the launching of the album,

went wrong, and it´s not her fault.Leaks aside, somebody should have been more interested and how charts work,

because it seems her camp think that if you are number 1 on itunes for 5 minutes, you are having a mega success...I

was expectinganother top ten in the US, a top 5 in the rest of the world...but I had my chart trauma in 1991 with

rescue me not being a top 3!!! :laugh: and then with Erotica, and AL...and she´s still here, making good music

it´s important, but, you know, I have a life full of problems way bigger than this...so I enjoy her music, I enjoy being

here with you...that´s it

it was all this time...but now that its no longer going to be...i am totally fine with it...i just want the music, i think she'll have another huge moment on the charts in her lifetime.

I've never really been obsessed with charts or a chart freak. If I like an artist it is because I love their music and support them however I can as far as purchasing their singles, albums, etc etc.

If a song flops it makes no difference to me really. If it does well then great. The same applies to Madonna. I just want 2 or 3 more music videos and a killer tour and I'll be more than happy. She gave us an amazing album and what more could we ask for?

Already drooling thinking about the tour tbh :dramatic:

Plus, I am fans of other artists who have either been dropped from record labels, have to release music on their own, or who can't even get record deals (that's why I can't watch shows like the Voice or AI anymore :laugh:).

So I already have experience with this type of disappointment. At least M certainly had her day.

Guest eroticerotic

honestly i don't know what matters anymore, i think it would be hot if she still scored #1s and had tons of airplay, but, with the prevalence of payola and crazed fans helping to inflate numbers, in addition to social media bots, and file sharing/leaks, you don't know who is organically selling/getting spins.

so, i guess not. also i try to go with the flow in terms of media/technology, so, i don't listen to the radio or watch tv. basically, airplay or video play don't matter to me. :laugh:

I stopped giving a shit a LONG time ago... not just for Madonna, but for pretty much all the other artists I like as well.

Don't get me wrong, who wouldn't love a chart/radio hit...and if anyone deserves it, it's her ... but considering the indescribable amount of utter CRAP that rules the charts and airwaves now...

... I say FUCK IT.

ps. The money and power...and longevity... is in LIVE performance anyway. And when it comes to both the artistry and business of that platform, this woman RULES.

95% of the big sellers and charters today will not even be here in 10 to 20 or more years anyway....they WISH they could have that kind of longevity, let alone command a fraction of the kind of awe and attention Madonna gets.

I want to see Madonna have huge hit songs and albums and her wonderful music played on the radio. She deserves it more than anyone. Yes, it is important but no it is does not change how I feel about her or lesson my enthusiasm for her music, performance and Madonna herself. She has always been my favourite artist and always will be.

Guest bluejean

No. Not at all. I don't care about it. I enjoy the music for myself and I don't care if it's not in the mainstream charts anymore.

I got over this during the MDNA era and I care even less this era. The whole era is just so great what other people think means nothing to me.

I stopped going into the Charts Section..I always had sleepeless night then when I was so much into it. It probably is the time to just shake it off.

Everyone should be exposed to Madonna's music and message. More importantly, it's clearly something that she still aims for and for those reasons I'd love to see some significant hits added to her catalog. Those things make me care a tiny bit.

That said, it's been a struggle in the US for more than 10 years now and her worldwide decline on radio and singles charts coincided with her leaving Warner Bros. which makes it an easier pill to swallow as far as I'm concerned. Given the current state of the music industry the real question is not how relevant Madonna is in 2015, but rather Billboard and their ilk.

From day one it has never mattered to me. It's all BS. Always has been, always will be.

Charts and sales are, in no way, any measure of how good an artist is.

People have so many problems in their lives. It's no like i'm gonna lose my sleep for charts. Madonna is a legend and the biggest tour force of all time.

So why should i give a fuck about US or their charts? :sassy:

no especially at this stage. charts are important for katy, beyonce, taylor fans

Yes I agree.

I get wanting the best for "the legacy" or whatever… but I saw the writing on the wall circa MDNA, and I knew this chart force thing was gonna disintegrate sooner rather than later. I'll stick with Madonna until the end even if sometimes I facepalm at her instagram posts or songs. The chart thing was fun, but that world is so transient - the rules aren't even the same as they were 10 years ago for hit songs.

I can tell (and she has reiterated) that Rebel Heart was made with the purest artistic intentions - it shows. But I do hope that in the future she doesn't try to chart bait in any respect. There have been a few blips over the years where I can tell she's definitely A&R'd the hell out of some of the songs that make her albums. I mean really, Bitch I'm Madonna? We know you're Madonna. You never had to tell us before. I agree with that 1 review (I think it was Q) that kinda took her to task for some of those silly songs, contrasting them with the warmer, more confident ones on RH. But that's a whole other convo.

Anyway. Simple answer is no. What's most important to me is that she continues to show her drive and courage in all respects of her work and thank god I've seen that more than ever in the last 3 years. I hope it continues on the tour which I have high hopes for.

The only thing about the charts that bothers me is that people simply aren't hearing "Living For Love," which I think is a knockout.

And I think it's pretty clear that M and her team still care about charts; the timing of the releases around the Brits and Grammys indicate that. It's just not paying off like it should.

Two sides.

Yes, I care because her music deserves to be heard by many people. Whether it's No. 1 or not, I want her art to reach out to as much as possible because they're great music.

No, I don't. Whether she flops or not, it will not take away from my personal enjoyment of the song.

I cannot imagine how anyone could expect her to score hit singles like she did in the 80s and 90s and early 2000s. We know why "4 Minutes" did as well as it did Remove that, and you see the struggle she's had in the USA since American Life. And now we're also seeing it outside the USA.

She's had a fantastic run in terms of hit singles, and she will continue to fare respectably with albums, I'm sure.

It's nature to want our favorites to do well, and to have others enjoy and experience the new music (and even the older, classic material)- and that will happen when she tours, so there you go. :gent:

Guest whatatramp

Two sides.

Yes, I care because her music deserves to be heard by many people. Whether it's No. 1 or not, I want her art to reach out to as much as possible because they're great music.

No, I don't. Whether she flops or not, it will not take away from my personal enjoyment of the song.

this

It's natural to want her to do well commercially but every artist has a peak.

The singles chart has always reflected a certain demographic and it's not, generally speaking, a demographic that is going to wholeheartedly embrace Madonna in the same way they will Taylor or Rihanna. She doesn't (and nor should she) relate to them or vice versa.

But it's okay, she's had her days of single chart glory (and who is to say there wont be more on the horizon?) but as it stands she's in very respectable legends territory in terms of albums and tours.

She's probably going to get her 9TH #album and she will have the number 1 tour of the year that I'm sure will again go down in the history books. She's in a very good place and we should all just celebrate that she's still going, in incredible physical and mental shape and still wants to do this!

It is frustrating to see a great song like Living For Love not get the attention it deserves but it doesn't matter, she's Madonna and she always will be.

Everyone should be exposed to Madonna's music and message. More importantly, it's clearly something that she still aims for and for those reasons I'd love to see some significant hits added to her catalog. Those things make me care a tiny bit.

That said, it's been a struggle in the US for more than 10 years now and her worldwide decline on radio and singles charts coincided with her leaving Warner Bros. which makes it an easier pill to swallow as far as I'm concerned. Given the current state of the music industry the real question is not how relevant Madonna is in 2015, but rather Billboard and their ilk.

This! :thumbsup:

In the same way that I want my favourite movies to be big hits (and therefore can talk about these movies in everyday conversation with non loons), then yes I want M's good music to have great success. The day she starts making shit music or deliberately non-commercial songs then fine let those singles flop. But she earns the right to success by making quality stuff that is still commercial.

I like charts and statistics and things, but I try to not place much meaning in them.

Of course, I would rather Madonna do well than not, but its not really essential at this stage of her career or in the current state of the music industry ("singles" are at their least relevant in a very long time). When looking at the total package (including not only singles and albums but touring, media coverage, etc.), she is still a major popular artist.

And as others have said, we are very used to this in the US, so nothing about LFL's chart performance is shocking to me in the least.

Music paradigm has changed.

Is airplay and chart relevance still important to me?

Yes. Not gonna lie.

But what can we do with her downfall in singles performance?

Nothing.

Time has changed.

Chart has changed.

Her fans grew older.

Unless she's teaming up with the hottest act e.g. Rihanna, Katy Perry etc, she's not gonna get much airplay and digital sales.

Unless UMG decides to do the WB way, release all possible physical formats (CD singles 1/2/maxi, 7", 12", picture disc) to guarantee her at least 1 top 10 outside US, otherwise she can kiss the single chart goodbye. WB did a good job in securing hits for her but look what happened after UMG took over.

Thank god M is still doing well in album sales.

Although MDNA sold barely 2m, some may consider flop but how many album has managed to sell more than 2 million worldwide these days?

I'm glad that she has decided to release RB in 3 CD formats + LP. She knows many of her fans still prefer physical format and they will buy all formats.

We may not be able to help her much in singles chart but securing her a top 10 album is not that difficult if all her fans do their part.

I hate 4 Minutes. I can't sorry. I can't stand it. I'd rather have Living For Love than 4 Minutes, no matter if that Timbaland thing was number one allover the universe.

What's the point of having a zilion number ones if you don't like the single? Since American Life, a song is a hit in my standards if it moves me. And it's a big hit for Madonna if it generates interest and makes her shine. She didn't shine (IMO) with any single from HC or MDNA (my opinion again), but she has shined so bright with Living For Love!!!!!

So, radios or charts are not that important for me. I didn't feel disappointed with LFL charts career at all.