MadonnaNation.com Forums
billiejean

Amy Winehouse (the artist)

There's a thread but it's all about her antics. Let's discuss her as an artist.

I absolutely loved her, and remember the day that she passed away so clearly. It was so sad. She deserved better.

She's be making even more incredible music now. She actually had something to say, unlike all the talented but mostly dull artists that have been so "inspired" by her since.

Watching Paloma Faith last night just made me miss Amy more. Truly incomparable.

Guest whatatramp

I've seen her live twice, although the first time was apart of a festival and I don't really remember it too well

Every time I listen to one of her songs I think of how upsetting it is that she's not still around making music. Even though she released such great material I feel like she never actualized her full potential - there was probably so much more of her music I would've fallen in love with that now we'll never get to hear. Nowadays everyone seems to be praising boring artists with good voices and nothing more, but Amy was something else. She didn't just sing - there was something inexplicable about her. It's sad that people get caught up in her antics because it clouds their ability to appreciate her music for what it was - and it was spectacular.

People often compare Adele to her but in my mind Amy was light years ahead of Adele; just look at her performance at the Brits, she made Adele and everyone else seem like amateurs (Amy comes in around 2:50):

She was just a true original, totally irreplaceable. If only she knew how sorely she is missed!

She was on her way to being a legend of British music. She still is, but she had so much more to give.

Did you see the statue of her in Camden?

Amy-Winehouse-Statue-Rexv2.jpg

She had such a beautifully raw & soulful voice. You knew she felt the emotion in every lyric that she sang.My favourite song of hers is Love Is A Losing Game. Gets me every time.

she was amazing :( god bless her

tumblr_m3azq2uMlT1qenzeco1_500.gif

tumblr_m3azq2uMlT1qenzeco2_500.gif

Queen. Certified.

Incredible talent. Such a tragic loss, I too remember the day she died. Her performance of love is a losing game at the mercury music prize is I think one of her finest performances and I remember it was right after she was exposed doing crack.

Such a phenomenal talent...still miss her and her music...

So sad to see that trailer but I think the film will be fascinating. Still seems weird to think she's not here anymore

I’m in a Winehouse mood today:

🎶 Starlight! Before she took flight!!!

Some musicians who did too young, Amy included, change the trajectory of music as a whole. Kurt Cobain, Jim Morrison, and Amy Winehouse are those musicians, that if they had lived, would still be making music that would be important and impactful. When we lose talents like them, the void is filled by individuals who are just copycats. 

She was a once in a generation type of star who deserved so much better. I realize she brought a lot of it on herself, but I had truly hoped she could come out of it. It’s just so tragic that we don’t have her anymore. 

On 10/31/2017 at 7:07 PM, KalamazooJay said:

Some musicians who did too young, Amy included, change the trajectory of music as a whole. Kurt Cobain, Jim Morrison, and Amy Winehouse are those musicians, that if they had lived, would still be making music that would be important and impactful. When we lose talents like them, the void is filled by individuals who are just copycats. 

She was a once in a generation type of star who deserved so much better. I realize she brought a lot of it on herself, but I had truly hoped she could come out of it. It’s just so tragic that we don’t have her anymore. 

:clap:

She deserved better parents, starting from that opportunistic leech of her father.

Probably one of the most overrated artists ever. Yeah she was a great lost talent, yeah she had a great future ahead of her, but c'mon! she was, by no means, 'groundbreaking' or a 'game changer' in any way. A 2-album wonder at the most. I think that after her death it became popular to praise her, I remember everyone and their mom was all of a sudden "inspired by her". And I also think the media had something to do; the same media who trashed her and kicked her nonstop while she was down on life, is the same media that put her in a pedestal after her death. Same thing they did with Whitney and MJ. I do prefer Amy to the (equally)overrated Adele tho.

On 7/24/2018 at 9:56 AM, Magician said:

Love her.

On 3/15/2015 at 8:51 AM, Genevieve Vavance said:

she was amazing :( god bless her

tumblr_m3azq2uMlT1qenzeco1_500.gif

tumblr_m3azq2uMlT1qenzeco2_500.gif

Is that her.. lol

On 10/11/2018 at 11:39 PM, Magician said:

Anyone else find this kind of thing sad? It's impossible to know whether she would have wanted it.

On 7/24/2018 at 11:26 AM, LHakaLH said:

Probably one of the most overrated artists ever. Yeah she was a great lost talent, yeah she had a great future ahead of her, but c'mon! she was, by no means, 'groundbreaking' or a 'game changer' in any way. A 2-album wonder at the most. I think that after her death it became popular to praise her, I remember everyone and their mom was all of a sudden "inspired by her". And I also think the media had something to do; the same media who trashed her and kicked her nonstop while she was down on life, is the same media that put her in a pedestal after her death. Same thing they did with Whitney and MJ. I do prefer Amy to the (equally)overrated Adele tho.

Agree. Totally overrated even before she died. The media weren't even interested until she became a car crash drunk. 

They liked to portray her as authentic and the real deal because she took drugs. She had a few good songs but nothing ground breaking.

On 10/12/2018 at 1:39 AM, Magician said:

Why?? Let her rest in peace..

On 10/20/2018 at 3:33 PM, jonski43 said:

Agree. Totally overrated even before she died. The media weren't even interested until she became a car crash drunk. 

They liked to portray her as authentic and the real deal because she took drugs. She had a few good songs but nothing ground breaking.

Exactly what I was coming here to post: overrated, and I do not see the appeal. I think she got lucky, having the right sound at the right time. This sort of throwback Motown-esque vibe, coupled with a tragic chic persona. But many did the same then: that Duffy girl, Adele to some extent... She had pipes, I'd give her that.