Brit Awards continued: The Queen is TRIUMPHANT giving the performance of her life!

ryan

Aren't the angles and images of the fall changed?I don't remember watching the image from the back of the arena,and when I saw it live there were a fee seconds wwithout madonna movings,whereas in this one she stands up very fast,or is it my mind playing with me?

I love the bit in the breakdown when she dances and mouths along to the backing singer

Love that! I just finally watched it again since the live broadcast, and in big HD its now clear she is pretty quick to get back into it and smiling and seemingly having fun with the rest of the performance (even though probably with some pain).

the two female dancers are amazing, hope she keeps them for the tour.

Love that! I just finally watched it again since the live broadcast, and in big HD its now clear she is pretty quick to get back into it and smiling and seemingly having fun with the rest of the performance (even though probably with some pain).

the two female dancers are amazing, hope she keeps them for the tour.

the is so shaken in the first verse, but she totally brings it back in the second, and by the prechorus, where she does I'M GONNA CARRY ON at 2:48 you can see she's almost singing it to herself it's incredible.

Does anyone know if Aya and Bambi were at Jonathon Ross?

Tracey Thorn (Everything but the Girl) about the Brits and MADONNA.

Ive come to the Brit Awards, dear reader, in order to bring you news from the World of Pop, intending to observe in a neutral and detached manner. Unlike Morrissey complaining that week that the Brit Awards have hi-jacked modern music in order to kill off the heritage that produced so many interesting people or Kasabian, who snarled that wins for Ed Sheeran would be a victory for squares, quaintly couching their objections in the language of a 1960s Cliff Richard film, I come not to bury the Brits but to watch them in a mood of nostalgic curiosity. Im revisiting a scene where in the past I have been both bored witless and riotously entertained, to see whats happened in my entirely insignificant absence.

I was last here in 1996, the Year of Jarvis Cocker, when my bands song Missing was up for Best Single; and the year before that, in 1995, at the height of the Blur/Oasis Wars, I was seated with Massive Attack, Protection being nominated for Best Album. Madonna performed that night. Shed recently recorded with them and it was the first time I heard anyone refer to her as Madge. (I assumed that Nellee and 3D and Mushroom and Daddy G, no slouches when it came to nicknames, had invented it themselves.) After the awards we went to her private party at Browns in Soho, within which inner sanctum was a sanctum even more inner, where a velvet rope fenced off the area containing actual Madonna, and a handful of Chosen Ones.

And now here I am again, after a twenty year gap, at an event thats bigger, glitzier and more of a TV show than an actual awards ceremony, but what else has changed? Not the winners, who are as predictable as ever, chosen by a voting process about which everyone is suitably vague. Oh, its more or less whoever in any category has sold the most, or is the best, look, lets not dwell on it. Like old Tory leaders, the winners emerge. There are no surprises.

What is different is the atmosphere in the room, which partly reflects the atmosphere in pop music, and is created I think by the fact that there are no bands. Where it used to feel like a school canteen full of rival gangs, with warring factions shooting insults and dirty looks at each other, poised on the brink of a food fight, now it is a civilised dining room, all the nominees, like their fans, being much-Selfied and much-Liked individuals. Solo artists, islands. They sit not with their mates and partners-in-crime, but with their managers and pluggers, and all of them on good terms with the similar individuals at the next table.

Theres less camaraderie, and less rivalry, and the absence of both is what dulls the air.

Band camaraderie is infectious, and enlivens an audience you want to be part of that gang, whether its the Rolling Stones or the Spice Girls, the Libertines or One Direction and bitchy rivalry is entertaining. Blur vs Oasis was silly but funny. Now, admiration and respect are the order of the day. Sam loves James, Ed loves Sam, and everybody is Taylors best friend.

In short, nothing happens. Almost nothing. With my Mum-face on I think that Paloma Faith holding a microphone in the pouring rain is a health and safety nightmare, but it turns out that the accident waiting to happen is an unforeseen one, involving stairs, a cape and a dancing bull. Madonna falls over, giving the evening its longed-for news angle. Seated only yards from the stage I hear the crash as she goes down, most shocking of all being the heavy ker-THUMP of her mic hitting the floor. Golly, I think, that mics actually on. Not a given nowadays and quite a thrill.

What is most remarkable though, and confirms everything Ive ever thought about the indestructible will-to-power of Stars, is her recovery. Have you ever fallen flat on your back? I have once, on the slippery decking outside my back door, and on landing whiplashed and winded did what you would do, and burst into tears of self-pity. Which is why Im not a global superstar with a decades-spanning career, and neither are you.

Yes, yes and yes to all of this!!! She nailed it.

No, Madonna’s Fall Did Not Make Her Seem More “Human”

464391954-madonna-gets-up-after-falling-
Falling down is funny. According to the “benign violation theory” of humor, watching someone fall down makes us laugh because it violates the normal order of things and doesn’t really hurt anyone. (Usually.) The “violation” part of the benign violation theory is especially shocking when the person falling down is someone who is normally very poised, dignified, or controlled—someone, for instance, like a runway model, a head of state, a professional athlete, or an Oscar winner.
Or Madonna. The pop legend fell down a short staircase during her performance at the Brit Awards this week, and GIFs and guffaws quickly spread across the Internet. More often than not, the jokes were tinged with Schadenfreude, or satisfaction that a consummate professional had shown her weakness. “Ambulance for Granny, please,” tweeted foot-in-mouth-prone television personality Piers Morgan, who gleefully reposted the Vine of Madonna’s fall three times in two hours. “The Queen of Pop is human after all—if you prick her does she not bleed?” teased Monica Tan of the Guardian. Salon’s Mary Elizabeth Williams diagnosed the widespread joking as a symptom of ageism and sexism but concluded that she liked “seeing this larger than life creature become, for a few seconds, vulnerable.”
These responses varied in tone but agreed on one thing: The fall had exposed Madonna as flawed, as fallible. (No pun intended.) But is that right? Madonna’s fall at the Brit Awards was different from other celebrity stumbles. Unlike, say, Taylor Swift’s slip as she descended a stage in Times Square this New Year’s, or Jennifer Lawrence’s nosedive when she ascended the steps at the Dolby Theatre to accept her Academy Award in 2013, Madonna’s fall was not the result of inattention or clumsiness on her part. In fact, she didn’t take any missteps at all. The immediate precipitant of the fall was a tug on her cape, which was supposed to come off seamlessly, by one of her backup dancers. The reason for the fall, as Madonna explained on Instagram, was that “My beautiful cape was tied too tight!” Yes, this was an error, but it wasn’t Madonna’s error—it was an error on the part of the costume designer, or the choreographer, or whoever’s job it was to make sure the cape came off when it was supposed to come off.

So why are people treating this like a secret glimpse at Madonna’s personal fallibility, instead of like the production blunder that it was? Probably because we like to pretend that celebrities are solely responsible for the art that they produce, even though it usually requires a huge amount of labor from tens or hundreds of other people. And most of the time, celebrities participate in this charade—in order to be likeable, a star’s image needs to seem like a personality instead of a product.

This backfires on celebrities when something goes terribly wrong—hence TMZ mocking Jennifer Lopez when the audio cut out during one of her concerts in 2011, and Piers Morgan laughing at Madonna when her fall was someone else’s fault. Luckily, there are limits to the extent we seem willing to hold celebrities responsible for other people’s foibles—when Pink’s harness came apart during a concert in Nuremberg, the press chalked it up to a freak accident, not a failure on Pink’s part. The difference? She went to the hospital. Perhaps it was the benign violation theory at work once again: We’re happy to blame the star, but only as long as no one is seriously hurt.

yea i'm watching Fuse now...on mute listening to RH...

I kind of DONT want to see the moment...i wish it could've been edited!!!! It literally kills me for 5 full seconds every time.I think I'm going to close my eye during it and then open them and act as if nothing ever happened! :laugh:

I have watched this a few times now. I think the entire thing including the fall simply shows that she is the greatest there ever was. The vogueing is fabulous. I am in love with her as always.

She reminded everybody why she is the Queen of Life with this majestic performance. She killed it. Anyone who only focus on the cape being pulled back need to do some serious life examining.

I'm glad she brought in the Japanese Dancers. Ever since they went viral I had a hunch M would contact them because they are so perfect for her new tour.

I don't keep up with viral things, so I don't know these dancers. Who are they?

I just posted this on FB, if you care to read :)

Professional dancers are trained to fall and get up. Personally I dont know any colleague or student who hasnt had some type of accident while performing or rehearsing. It is a lifestyle that we have to embrace if we want to continue growing as artists.

To read people making jokes about someones very dangerous fall, technically an accidental pull by another dancer through a costume, can only mean how detached that mind might be from what actually goes on while executing a performance.

Fittingly, that attitude comes mostly from people whose everyday life probably doesnt involve taking care of their bodies as a vital extension of their vision. In this case, artistic vision.

Spot on! :clap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR5j_EN0JeM

the clearest video thus far!

So good! The falling part seems a lot faster after watching it several times, which means she recovered quicker than I initially thought (I guess 'cause the first time it was so shocking, it felt like it was happening in slow motion). This just proves yet again (if anyone even needed further proof) that she is the one and only QUEEN. :bow:

To be honest I thought I would be desensitized to the fall by now but nope . . . it's still so hard to watch when it happens. But I'm not going to let it overshadow her performance, which was brilliant in spite of everything. I love that little half-smirk she does when she says "watched me stumble", and then when she lifts those bull horns triumphantly. I just grow more and more in awe of her the more I watch.

All these videos keep getting removed from YouTube. Upload it officially already!

It should have been uploaded by now. I'm thinking it's not happening. Kanye's performance is not up either. I didn't see it, but heard that half of it was muted. I guess the Brits don't want these on their official YouTube channel.