Brit Awards: the Queen shows them all what a TROUPER she is.

Madonna returned to the Brit Awards for the first time in 20 years to perform herRebel Heart single "Living for Love." But it wasn't an entirely seamless return to her one-time adopted home country.

At the beginning of her performance, the lengthy cape she was wearing got caught on something -- or stepped on by a backup dancer/minotaur. Either way, as Madge ascended a staircase, she was yanked backward hard and fell down the stairs. Watch it below.

Yes, that looked like it hurt. Even worse, Madonna dropped her mic and missed singing several of the song's lyrics entirely. When she picked the mic back up, her voice sstill seemed shaky, like the fall had knocked the wind out of her. One the plus side: those who accuse her of lip-syncing (Elton John) can sod off.

Ever the pro, though, she recovered by the end of the number and looked triumphant, and maybe a little relieved, when she wrapped.

Note to Kanye: This would have been the perfect time to rush the stage. You coulda caught her if you'd been quick enough!

YIKES! Madonna just took a serious spill during her #BRITs2015 performance: http://blbrd.cm/CofcGj

I'm so sad, hope she's OK :sendinggoodbbives:

otherwise NAILED IT :clap:

YESSSS!!!!!! Afterwards, she did soooooo good. As I said before, that extended dance break at the end!! And the moment of her holding the horns at the end. What a LEGEND!!!!

The dancing was killer. I actually still like it more that the Grammys, little incident aside. She could have really hurt herself as she was on stairs, hope she is ok.

TOTES MAGOTES!!!! lol

I'm glad they removed the part where she is handled and wrapped around the male dancers. This was an all female battle against the men! Nice touch!!!

The silver lining is that this might actually get more views on Vevo or Youtube, if they release the performance officially......

And like everyone has said before, it kinda befits the lyrics of the song. I hope she is okay though......

I can't believe people is laughing and making fun about her, especially fans of Lady Gaga, Shakira and all those reductives.

we'll never hear the end of it for years and years.... we'll be waiting for that Jonathan Ross interview...

What a shocker! I jumped from the sofa when she fell. I thought that it's taking her too long to open the cape and then bam... My heart stopped for a second. Pulling the cape was cued to her singing "let down my guard..." and the dancer couldn't have known that it was still tied up. I felt terrible for her. But boy did she handle it well!! She is a true pro. And the lyrics of the song were eerily fitting after the situation.

I'm watching it again and I'm shocked each time. I'm sure she's fine though.

The new choreography is brilliant. Much better than the Grammys.

Oh my God she fell so badly I screamed I was so scared! I hope she's okay, she still is so professional I was amazed, the rest of the perf felt like slow motion. I was so shocked. Worst part is that when I first saw the cape I said:

No_Capes_The_Incredibles_6_Edna.gif

I felt bad when seconds after she fell.

Guys, there is one hugely positive thing about this fall: it made millions of people show just what a PROFESSIONAL performer M is!!! She tried to get back into the choreo right after the fall, even with a smiling face. If you tuned in at that moment, you wouldn't have known what just happened to her 5 seconds earlier.

i wonder if the online version will still have that fall? oh well j-lo fell, beyonce, and on and on...their all on youtube...so other performers better speak up to defend Madonna...because shit happens

IT JUST PROVES TO ME MORE THAT SHE IS THE QUEEN OF EVERYTHING IN THIS INDUSTRY! others would crumble, madonna will use it to her benefit!

I got sick to my stomach when she fell. She's a fucking pro and handled that perfectly.

Hope she's okay because that was not a little trip... that was a massive drop to the ground on her back and head.

This will work in her favour. She will be all over the papers tomorrow, huge publicity, lots of positive press about how she got up and carried on, and something to joke about with Jonathan Ross.

Like you all, my heart stopped for a moment when it happened, but she has fallen in shit and will come up smelling of roses.