Calling out all M's newer fans: how was it to discover M this late in her career?

mnino

This is my first post. So, hi... :vogue:

I became a fan in 2001, when I was 14. I still consider myself a new fan because as someone here only semi-facetiously wrote, anything after the early '80s puts you in the new fan camp, so I'm posting my little 'Story of M' here.

My mom has always liked Madonna (I wouldn't call her a huge fan, though, just a casual admirer) so I remember her playing songs from the True Blue and Like a Prayer albums throughout my childhood. And she was obsessed with Music (the song) and Beautiful Stranger when it came out. I, however, was too busy liking the Spice Girls and other '90s pop groups at the time to really pay much attention. Maybe I just wasn't ready for M at that age. I saw an advert for GHV2 right before Christmas and recognized quite a few songs, so I asked for the album and got it. And the rest, as they say, is herstory.

I was amazed how many of the songs on that collection I'd heard prior to knowing they were Madonna's. And now that I'm aware of Madonna's entire career I can understand why so many fans were underwhelmed -- that's putting it mildly -- by GHV2, but because it was the first Madonna album I owned, it will always have sentimental value for me. I was transfixed by the images in the artwork; it struck me immediately that this woman had had a mammoth career and I was suddenly obsessed with knowing as much about it as possible. I got more albums, videos and DVDs (my first one was The Drowned World Tour), read biographies, interviews and articles, watched documentaries, TV interviews and specials, collected pictures and magazine clippings. Within months I was hooked for life. And with all the unique zeal of the new convert, I could artfully steer any conversation towards coned bras, sex books and burning crosses. I even delivered unsolicited and wholly pretentious -- but entirely accurate -- speeches on The Importance of Madonna in high school and pissed off my insanely religious English teacher in the process. Bonus. I guess I was a pretty intolerable little shit for a while there. Ah well. I had seen the light and it was my duty to share.

Anyway. That's the short version of my conversion / initiation. I think I've done enough lurking and I look forward to becoming a more active member here. Glad this was my first post.

welcome!!!

it´s so wonderfull that madonna continues to have new fans in all her eras!

I'm a fan since Love Profusion/Die another day and then came the legendary Confessions on a dance floor. I would love to stan for her during the Music era. It's one of the most interesting for me. :order:

Edit: I feel like i miss so much from her Legacy.You know each era was a new trend back then. But i'm happy because some day people will refer to her as a past legend and i lived on the same time with her. :laugh:

Edited by Coadf

I am 25 and I've known her and have been interested her since I was like 8.... The first video was Frozen and I became intregued by her. Then I grew up with her songs from Music, American Life and COADF whilst in High School. But I didn't really own her albums I'm ashamed to say and I became fans of other pop princesses of the time. So I was more of a casual Madonna fan. I liked her, I liked her songs when they came out but apart from her most famous singles like Holiday, LAP, LAV I didn't know much of her older songs. And I liked her just as much as the other pop princesses.

Y'all gonna hate me for this... But I don't care.... I became a HUGE fan of Gaga in 2008 lol and during the famous contraversy between the two in 2011 as a fan of Gagz I became interested in Madonna again. I decided to go through her back catalogue and rather than just the singles that I had up to then, bought her albums. I became hooked and rather than just liking her I am now the mega fan that I am today!

I still am a huge fan of Gaga (which will go against the grain of this forum but oh well) but Madonna now joins her up there. Maybe she beats her? I think after 30 years she has an incredible and very diverse back catalogue, she beats most other pop artists if not all she has pushed buttons aswell as boundaries for pop females and lead the way, rather than follow and hasn't been afraid to "Express Herself". She had also shown amazing resilience and tenacity and reinvention to keep her relevant and ahead of the game over 30 years. I also love how she combines being an excellent artists with being a great businesswoman.

So yeah from casual fan to mega fan and I'm glad of it. How I wasn't a mega fan earlier is beyond me! Lol

Keep in mind Britney is my #1 fave and Madonna is my #2.

I always knew who Madonna was because of the VMA 2003 performance,Me Against The Music, and the Human Nature performance she did with Britney in 2008 but that was pretty much it. In 2011 though my mom said that she saw Madonna in concert in 1990 and showed me the ticket and everything. After that, i went on youtube and searched up Madonna 1990 Tour and stumbled upon Blond Ambition Tour videos, after watching the tour i was amazed and kept researching her career more and more. I ended up becoming obsessed (and i still am today, obviously lol). Today i am a HUGE stan of Madonna and her work, she is also the reason why i joined instagram in March 2013

Edited by Slim Shady

Y'all gonna hate me for this... But I don't care.... I became a HUGE fan of Gaga in 2008 lol and during the famous contraversy between the two in 2011 as a fan of Gagz I became interested in Madonna again. I decided to go through her back catalogue and rather than just the singles that I had up to then, bought her albums.

I still am a huge fan of Gaga (which will go against the grain of this forum but oh well) but Madonna now joins her up there. Maybe she beats her?

Well, look, no one's managed to pass a law yet saying you can't like both these women. Good for you. One good artist here doesn't preclude the possibility of another good one over there. Art is not a limited commodity. At least you're one of the few who aren't living with the delusion that Gaga invented whatever she's doing. I'll be honest, I like some of what Gaga did a few years ago and even attended The Monster Ball in 2012. (Yes, I know, off with my head...) But I've just lost interest in her since then. The zany outfits are no longer interesting, her performances aren't very good, her presence on social media makes her pretty insufferable as of late, ArtPop was a disaster of epic proportions with no redeeming value for me and the whole Cheek to Cheek era was a perpetual snoozefest. When she brings out something new I'll check it out but I'm just not very hopeful. I don't think she's done by a long shot, but I honestly doubt if she'll have as consistently interesting and important a career as Madonna.

On the plagiarism point, for what it's worth, I think Madonna was the first to do many things and she has cast such a huge shadow that any other popstar who comes after her will inevitably step into it at some point and there'll be comparisons. It's not hard to see a little bit of Madonna in just about any female artist out there right now. We can possibly debate whether 'paying homage' has become outright copying in many instances, but that's a whole other discussion for another day.

These are just my own opinions and I can't get worked up about subjective assessments (my own or anyone else's) so I'm not interested in a fight over this. Time will tell anyway. I will add, though, that the behaviour and cultural amnesia of a lot of Gaga's fanbase is depressing and irritating.

Edited by ZephyrSky

I became a fan during Ray of Light era at 10 years old...and the Music era was probably the first time I actively took interest but before that, songs like Human Nature, Take a Bow, Secret, I'll remember (mid 90s) were some of the best soundtracks to my childhood and my basic intro to Madonna 101

I think its great things like YouTube gives newer fans access to her long amazing career

welcome!!!

it´s so wonderfull that madonna continues to have new fans in all her eras!

I love your story about GHV2. I love that album too even before I became a true fan. I was shocked to discover older fans had disappointments with it.

I'm 22 now and become Madonna fan since 2008. I remember I was madonna hater (LOL) until my classmate(girl) gave my Confessions tour DVD, When I watched this DVD i was amazed. Few weeks later on radio I heard Give it 2 me then 4 minutes songs which I liked. I decided search for more info about Her. I downloaded her album Hard Candy album and watched her few live performances and interviews and till that day I was fascinated by this woman.I remember when i desperately try find Reinvention DVD until find out there's no DVD of this tour. So now I'm one of the biggest fan of Madonna in Lithiania :D

BTW Sorry for my shity English. :blush:

Became a fan when I was 19 back in 2011.

I honestly don't even know how it happened, for some reason I came across LAV and decided to listen to it on youtube.
The Confessions tour version appeared in the related videos and I thought "lol, wonder what it looks like now that she's older and performs it live"

Holy.

Shit.

#livingforlove 24/7 ever since.