Madonna in German Gala Magazine

Glindathegood

http://www.gala.de/stars/story/exklusiv-madonna-im-gala-interview-ich-gehe-meinen-kindern-furchtbar-auf-die-nerven_1214470.html

Does anyone here speak German and can give us a good translation?

According to my google translation, she says, "I am often scared for the safety of my children. We live in a strange and sick world. Every year it seems to be getting worse. When Lourdes left for college, it was the worst day of my life. More painful than the breakup of my long term relationships." She says she gets on her children's nerves because she's very anxious and overprotective. She also says ageism in society makes her sick. Is there a rule after 50 people have to disappear from public view and not be adventurous, experiment, and be sexy and celebrate their sexuality.

The whole interview is the mag which is supposed to be out today. Any German fans have it?

Just bought it! Expected it to be rather uneventful since it's just a gossip magazine, but actually it does have some interesting parts. No question on the new album though.

As for the translation, I could post a summary here later on. The part of the interview that's online has already been translated by others in the promo tour thread:

She's talking about motherhood and how she's a bit overprotective and worried when it comes to her kids. She says she does it to a point where she annoys them and drives them crazy. The interviewer in the article says that he was suprised to see a very different side of Madonna, vulnerable, soft and very motherly. They say that she might appear cold on the outside, because she's such a polarizing artist (either loved or hated) but she's a very warmhearted and affectionate person and mother on the inside.

M also talked about how the day Lola moved out to go to University was the worst day of her life. She says that we're living in a crazy world with lots of crazy people and that it's getting worse every single day.

On ageism:

"The ageism in our society makes me sick. Are women over 50 supposed to disappear from the public? Is there a law which says that we're not allowed to be adventurous and experimental anymore? That we're not allowed to feel sexy anymore and celebrate our sexuality?"

I'm at work and cannot translate the whole interview now but I think the most interesting Information was when the interviewer said: "You tour starts in November." and she confirmed that she loves performing for her fans. I think we can take this as a confirmation.

Thanks for scanning the whole thing. Hopefully, someone can translate the whole thing later. It would be much appreciated!

She looks so beatiful and it's so cute what she says. So open talking about Lola's moving and how she's one of those overprotective mothers.

But they should fire the editor. Do you really give the cover to Dakota Johnson instead of Madonna, when you have a exclusive interview with her??? Put Dakota on the former number, just before the release of the film, you MORON!

"I am terribly annoying for my kids"

They introduce her, saying that she is known for being quite difficult to interview and thus the guy interviewing her described, how nervous he was. He says how he´s been warned by Liz to not ask stupid questions in order to have a good time. The interview was located in the Universal building and he notices with astonishment that M is only fifteen minutes too late, which is nothing for a star. She seems to have played the tequilla game with him again ;). He says that she seems nice, has "remarkably many lines from laughing" around her eyes and wore gloves again.

​Your children are quite grown up by know. Did they help you choosing the songs for "Rebel Heart"?

Yes, for many years we do that together. I played them every songs and ask them for their opinion on the sound and the text.

How was their feedback?

They liked many songs right at the beginning. Sometimes though they opposed to my decisions - which always lead to discussions. I had to watch out for them not to undermine me. My kids know exactly how to influence me.

Who´s your biggest fan in the family?

David loves my music. He is really into the faster tracks and dances around in the room.

And who is your biggest critic?

Lola, definetly. Of all my kids, she is the one closest to me. She knows exactly what she wants. Just like me (laughs).

Lola turned 18 in October and now studies dance, music and theatre in Detroit. How hard was it for you to let go of your first child?

When she moved out of my house in autumn it was the hardest day of my life. I was destroyed. Even when my long-term relationships broke I did´t feel the pain I felt in that moment. It almost tore my heart out of my chest.

How long did it take for you to get used to this new situation?

I didn´t get used to it just yet. I miss my daughter every day. Lola for me is like a soul mate. She is a part of my and thus it feels like losing an arm.

As a mother, are you scared of many things?

Yes. I really annoy my children with that. I am very caring and overly protective. I can be a real mother-hen and I don´t like the thought of Lola dancing the night away in clubs without me having the possibility to control at what hour she returns to home.

But isn´t it normal for a young woman to test herself?

Yes, of course. I was even worse at that age (laughs). But it is a sad fact, that we live in a crazy and scary world.Every year it seems to get worse.There are so many freaked out people out there. That is why I am often very scared for my kids.

Is your family complete now or could you imagine adopting another child?

No, I have my hands full raising four children. But I still take financial care of the orphans in Malawi, trying to provide them with education. The children in Malawi in some ways feel like mine anyways.

What is the greatest misconception people have about Madonna?

Oh well, there are plenty. One, for sure is that I am not vulnerable. Some people honestly think that I am never neither sad nor depressed, exhausted and that I never suffer from a broken heart. They think of me as bigger than life. Or they believe that I am cold hearted and calculating. But you know what? I hate this question (pours tequila and hands it over)

To be continued after my lunch break, if you are interested ;)

Hold on for a second: you said I had to drink for every stupid question.

Well, I extend it with another category: annoying. Cheers. Drink it up!

And where is the salt and the lemon?

We didn´t have enogh money for that (laughs)

Your answer to the question about misconception shows that you are also a vulnerable person. "Rebel Heart" shows this part of your personality. Have you grown softer in the last years?

In some ways, yes. But even 25 years ago I already was romantic and sensitive. The other part of me will always be a rebel.

​How do you handle the hostility directed at you?

Sometimes I am very hurt, when I read the hateful and nasty comments people make about me in the Internet. I think it´s shocking how mean and villainous some people could be. Even more, since it´s a very coward behavior. Those people would never say the mean things to my face, if they met me in the streets.

You really read the nasty comments about you?

Every now and then, yes I do.

Why do you hurt yourself this way?

Because I am a very curious person. And luckily, there are not mainly nasty comments, but a lot of positive things. For me it´s exiting to see what my fans are thinking. And, concerning the haters: I should have grown a very thick skin by now, since I have always been critisized. Some people think I am an invulnerable superwoman. But I am not. Some offense directed at me really go under my skin and hurt me. After all, I am just a normal woman.

Why do you think you polarize as much as you do?

In many cases it´s enviousness. Many people just can´t bear the fact that I am still there. And I am a woman who pushes peoples buttons, who scandalizes(? don´t know, if there´s an english word for that) and polarizes. Many people are put off by that. That´s what I don´t understand: Why do people put so much energy in dealing with someone who they think is terrible.

Since 31 years you are a part of the "pop-circus". Are there moments in which you feel exhausted and wonder if you should carry on?

No, I love my work. I have too many ideals, plans and creativity to stop now.

Are you sometimes sad by seeing how time flies?

Yes, sometimes I really feel sad, but foremost nostalgic. I miss the good old days, in the beginning of my career. I was friends with so many great artists - Warhol, Haring, Basquiat. I experienced the upcoming of the Rock Steady Crew and the Graffity-Scene. New York was so full of life, we all pushed each other. Nothing was censored, everything was new, unique and exzessive. It was a wonderful time. Nowadays many things have become very nice and boring.

But your life remains exiting: In November you will start a new world tour.

To perform live in front of my fans is the greatest thing for me. But on the other hand it is also a huge effort. That´s why I train so much. I need to be super fit to be able to give my best every evening for months.

What do you say to people who think you are too old to participate in the Pop-Business and who think that you generally don´t behave age-appropriate?

I only have one answer to that... (pushes the button which is standing on the table next to her. A squawking voice exclaims: "Two words - one finger")

"Fuck you" and the middle finger? There it is, Madonna`s rebellious side!

Yes! I am sick of this age-racisms in our society. Should women over 50 just vanish from the public? Is there a law saying that we can't be adventurous and experimental after that? That we are not allowed to feel sexy and celebrate sexuality after we have turned a certain age?

No, but many people think it is embarrassing to be sexy in a offensive way after a certain age.

That is not my problem. I never followed rules and I love pushing people´s buttons. If you don´t like it; don't watch, don´t listen

Since 31 years you are a part of the "pop-circus". Are there moments in which you feel exhausted and wonder if you should carry on?

No, I love my work. I have too many ideals, plans and creativity to stop now.

Are you sometimes sad by seeing how time flies?

Yes, sometimes I really feel sad, but foremost nostalgic. I miss the good old days, in the beginning of my career. I was friends with so many great artists - Warhol, Haring, Basquiat. I experienced the upcoming of the Rock Steady Crew and the Graffity-Scene. New York was so full of life, we all pushed each other. Nothing was censored, everything was new, unique and exzessive. It was a wonderful time. Nowadays many things have become very nice and boring.

But your life remains exiting: In November you will start a new world tour.

To perform live in front of my fans is the greatest thing for me. But on the other hand it is also a huge effort. That´s why I train so much. I need to be super fit to be able to give my best every evening for months.

What do you say to people who think you are too old to participate in the Pop-Business and who think that you generally don´t behave age-appropriate?

I only have one answer to that... (pushes the button which is standing on the table next to her. A squawking voice exclaims: "Two words - one finger")

"Fuck you" and the middle finger? There it is, Madonna`s rebellious side!

Yes! I am sick of this age-racisms in our society. Should women over 50 just vanish from the public? Is there a law saying that we can't be adventurous and experimental after that? That we are not allowed to feel sexy and celebrate sexuality after we have turned a certain age?

No, but many people think it is embarrassing to be sexy in a offensive way after a certain age.

That is not my problem. I never followed rules and I love pushing people´s buttons. If you don´t like it; don't watch, don´t listen

I love this! it's exactly what I needed to hear from her :)

Thank you so much for the work done!

It was a great interview but I don't understand why they waste this opportunity asking her about motherhood.

It's a magazine for 'mature women' mostly. They love reading stuff like that

Scanned through the interview. Too lazy to read the whole thing. From what I saw was great but OMG she actually goes on the internet and reads comments people say about her and it kind of bothers her lol. :ohmy: What happened to NO TV, reading/ listening to gossip-donna? LOL. Is this all cause Lourdes is gone, other kids are growing up, not currently touring, no boy toy, so she has too much time on her hands. :??

Guest Hunterlas

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR TRANSLATING

...such a good read. I do love when she talks about her family, reaffirmed what was pretty obvious, even though she of course loves all her children, Madonna ADORES Lourdes.

aaaw she reads many comments on social network, also negatif ones. And she is surpised but horrified how hatred full the world is.

Shes very honest. I love this interview. Its not much about her album, but much more about her current life and the situation of backstabbing press.