Rebel Heart (The Spoiler Zone) III (No link posting or requesting)

As someone who has only heard this version and is choosing not to hear the demo, it's fascinating, because I cannot imagine this song being better than it is. Is it the production of the demo that some people preferred? I have heard several references to the vocoder, but can that really be what this comes down to? During MDNA error, many were wishing Madonna would not have so many effects on her voice, and now we have an album of her full, rich, clear vocals, and some are longing for vocoder? Was there an extra verse in the song or additional lyrics?

The lyrics were the same. The production was radically different. I agree though. Rebel Heart is a great song. I really like it both ways. The other version allowed Avicii too much control and stifled Madonna a bit. The album version is far more exposed and vulnerable. The vocoder effect was used to embellish the song. The verses did not utilize the vocoder. Her voice was still clear and pristine. I am glad to have both. The original leak has divided some but I believe that M ultimately chose best. You could hear it in the other order. I would be curious to get your take on it. Long live the Queen.

Edited by sul8323

The demo was great, but I prefer the final album version. Far more timeless in the long run, and it's more sonically cohesive with the rest of the album. The final seems more serious, befitting the lyrics... "I took the road less traveled by", isn't a joyride throughout, but well worth the journey in the end.

As someone who has only heard this version and is choosing not to hear the demo, it's fascinating, because I cannot imagine this song being better than it is. Is it the production of the demo that some people preferred? I have heard several references to the vocoder, but can that really be what this comes down to? During MDNA error, many were wishing Madonna would not have so many effects on her voice, and now we have an album of her full, rich, clear vocals, and some are longing for vocoder? Was there an extra verse in the song or additional lyrics?

The lyrics were the same. The production was radically different. I agree though. Rebel Heart is a great song. I really like it both ways. The other version allowed Avicii too much control and stifled Madonna a bit. The album version is far more exposed and vulnerable. The vocoder effect was used to embellish the song. The verses did not utilize the vocoder. Her voice was still clear and pristine. I am glad to have both. The original leak has divided some but I believe that M ultimately chose best. You could hear it in the other order. I would be curious to get your take on it. Long live the Queen.

That leaked demo is way more "euro pop". Reminds me a bit of Call the Shots by Girls Aloud in parts.

why don't you want to listen? I don't understand this...

I can't explain! It's hard for me to compartmentalize with music. I know it's similar with remixes, but those seem more specific in their intention. I did like hearing the acoustic version of Love Spent.

But whereas a lot of you want to see her process and experience everything, I just want the official version. Too much other stuff tends to overwhelm me. I'm an odd one lol.

Aren't you glad you asked? :lmao:

I can't explain! It's hard for me to compartmentalize with music. I know it's similar with remixes, but those seem more specific in their intention. I did like hearing the acoustic version of Love Spent.

But whereas a lot of you want to see her process and experience everything, I just want the official version. Too much other stuff tends to overwhelm me. I'm an odd one lol.

I totally agree about just wanting to hear the official version. Because those will tend to be better quality anyway. I would hate to hear a demo version, love it, and then not have that version on the album. I would rather fall in love with the official version first, put it on a pedestal, and not feel disappointed. I feel like I would be disappointed right now, had I heard the demos.

I'm posting this question here because I don't want to clutter the official song thread with demo talk.

The song Rebel Heart is absolutely wonderful. Madonna's vocal, lyrics, and passion are spellbinding. The melody is fabulous, and oh my God that chorus. Yet this is the song (not counting Beautiful Scars) that seems to have divided those who heard the demos the most, with some claiming the song was so much better.

For myself, the Avicii demo version had this incredible drop after the chorus. It was very classic pop, but with a rock-like bass line mixed with an electro-pop sensibility. Incredibly catchy and uplifting... and sounded like something that would have been a hit on radio. It was also VERY well received by non-fans when the first demo leaks happened. Out of all the demos, that final Avicii version really did have the potential to be something powerful and anthemic. The final album version still has that essence, but lacks the triumphant punch in exchange for a more acoustic sensitivity (that still works).

That being said, I still think the Avicii-style composition could have fit on the final album (and still acted as a powerful album closer) with some changes to the final production (to make it sonically more cohesive with the final album). I think the instrumental drop after the chorus could have retained it's melody, along with the pounding bass and danceability, just with perhaps a more rock and/or drum & bass edge to match the rest of the album... and less on the electro-dance sound of it. That's the best I can describe what I'm thinking of here...

I don't want people to think I'm one of those preferring a bunch of demos though...I'm not. This one song is the exception. But I still adore the final album version.

In the end, the entire rest of the final album, including all the bonus songs, are far and above anything on the demos. The production on the final album is cohesive and damn near perfection.

Does anyone know where the definite list of all of various versions that we know exist can be found (the list not the tracks themselves)?

Thanks in advance!

:lol:

Well, I'm the opposite.

She won't be there forever. I take everything I can...!

• 2 weeks later...

At this point these are the versions I'm listening to when I listen to all of the tracks from the album and leak in a row:

Rebel Heart (final Avicii demo and skip album version)

Addicted (ditto)

Beautiful Scars (both demo and album version since they're different enough and I like both)

Inside Out (ditto)

Living for Love (ditto)

Iconic (ditto - though I much prefer demo 2)

Guest rocketman

I'm posting this question here because I don't want to clutter the official song thread with demo talk.

The song Rebel Heart is absolutely wonderful. Madonna's vocal, lyrics, and passion are spellbinding. The melody is fabulous, and oh my God that chorus. Yet this is the song (not counting Beautiful Scars) that seems to have divided those who heard the demos the most, with some claiming the song was so much better.

The demo has a Live To Tell synth throughout. I miss that in the album version.

The effects were only used on the background vocals, and only on the title of the song. It was almost unrecognizable. Her main vocals are actually more front and center on the demo. For me the album version is too bouncy (similar to how I feel about the album version of JOA) and the distorted drums bug me. It just sounds more like a demo than the actual demo to me. I actually can't imagine anyone who's heard both preferring the album version. I don't see why you shouldn't seek it out and listen.

The original demo that I downloaded of "Rebel Heart" is MUCH louder than any other track on my iPod (to the extent that I have to turn it right down). The same file plays fine on my computer, but on my iPod, it's so loud...! Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm still after that definitive list of all of the demos, if anyone knows where it is....