BBC Radio 1 Boycotts Madonna. Fans rally and ANNIHILATE ageist DJs!

lautnerfied

Some guy wrote "Here come the Madonna comments" and people have replied to his post requesting Living for Love :dead:

Funniest thing ever

yes that's the first comment i read and then after all Madonna

M community has really rallied together

Guest Madomination

Disgusting. They should be ashamed.

This only makes them look bad though. They've been receiving tons of backlash for this already and it will only make people sympathetic toward Madonna.

Madonna, AS ALWAYS, will have the last laugh.

It never ceases to amaze me why they would risk alienate a whole segment of Madonna fans....I mean this woman keep selling out stadiums, hence she still have a huge built-in fan base...so her albums and singles sales will still go to number one based on them alone without the casual music buyers. What is the logic of turning off what could be potential listeners to your stations?

But LFL is one of her most non-offensive songs and looks ever. It's just a nice, simple, straightforward song with a lovely video. Nothing controversial about it. They have no reason to ban her.

Exactly. It's radio-friendly formula written all over it. It's harmless and safe. That's probably why i'm not digging this song very much since i usually prefer more darker controversial Madonna songs, but regardless of its non-offensive way i can still enjoy LFL as a nice sunny song and i would love to see it playing on the radio. :thumbsup:

Her critics today are different from before as they are trying to force the situation that they want. Trying to persuade people hasn't completely worked. Now they are boldly telling them they wouldn't be interested in new music by Madonna as they say they play music by Paul McCartney who is an older gentleman. So I guess that means they are not ageist. Yeah they are.

The majority of current and potential fans or just people who are outraged over such a mindless and clearly meant to be insulting comment know they are being played. They are not only supporting Madonna in this campaign against her but also supporting their rights to like or love the music of all artists. I don't think people want to be told what music to like and what not to like.

The responses on their facebook page have been wonderful! :)

Yep, everyone sign that petition. It will need thousands of signatures before it will be taken seriously though.

From the BBC Newsbeat website, reporting on the corporation's own controversy. They seem to be getting themselves tied in knots here when trying to explain why they won't play it.

There's been a bit of a media storm surrounding Madonna over the last couple of days, and it's not down to the outfit she wore at this year's Grammy awards.

Instead it's been about her music, her age and whether she's been banned from the Radio 1 playlist.
The singer, 56, has a new album out, Rebel Heart, and the first official single is called Living for Love.
But Radio 1 says age has nothing to do with tracks not being playlisted.
Earlier this week, the station's Facebook page was flooded with messages urging the network to play Living for Love as part of the station's 10-Minute Takeover feature.
The fans, many from South America, accused the network of being "discriminatory".
Jordan, 24 and from Manchester, got in touch with Newsbeat to say he loves radio and "can't believe that Radio 1 has snubbed a song like Living for Love".
"I think there's a massive problem when it comes to radio playing, particularly, female singers over a certain age," he says.
"If this song had been recorded by someone younger, it would have had a lot more airplay by now.
"Madonna's a musical icon and as shown by her recent Grammy performance, she's just as relevant as any other recording artist out there right now."
There are several playlists run by Radio 1, including In New Music We Trust, and the tracks on it are published every week on the station's website.
In a statement, Radio 1 says: "The tracks are chosen on musical merit and their relevance to our young audience on a case-by-case basis, and while around 40% of the country's 15 to 29-year-olds tune into Radio 1 each week, an artist's age is never a factor."
Radio 1 DJ Diplo has also waded into the argument, tweeting "tell @BBCR1 age ain't nothing but a # and support Nicki Minaj and Madonna".
But Radio 1 bosses say this track didn't make the cut.
Newsbeat has occasionally been invited to sit in on the Radio 1 playlist meeting, which comprises the music team, production teams and of course - lunch.
It's a meeting that can go on for up to four hours, with in-depth discussions about songs, the audience and "musical merit".
But if you think about all the music being made and released in the world today, then you can imagine the competitive nature for the 15 places on the A playlist.
Sir Paul McCartney, 72, has two playlisted singles (Only Once and FourFiveSeconds).
DJ David Guetta, 47, is on the list too with his track What I Did for Love featuring Emeli Sande as well as 39-year-old Sia and Foo Fighters, fronted by 47-year-old singer Dave Grohl (the band has a joint age of 232).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/31517956

DJ David Guetta, 47, is on the list too with his track What I Did for Love featuring Emeli Sande as well as 39-year-old Sia and Foo Fighters, fronted by 47-year-old singer Dave Grohl (the band has a joint age of 232).

In that entire article, THIS is the only thing they have in their defense I suppose.