BBC Radio 1 Boycotts Madonna. Fans rally and ANNIHILATE ageist DJs!

lautnerfied

This from two years ago when Nick Grimshaw said Robbie Williams was irrelevant to his audience:

http://www.contactmusic.com/robbie-williams/news/nick-grimshaw-robbie-williams-irrelevant-radio-1_3903118

Robbie Williams is only barely 41! lol. So, if he was 38 or 39 he would still 'barely' make the cut like M would and everyone else :#! Plus he's a MAN which is makes all of this even more insane. I didn't read that article but assuming cause 'they' think he only appealed to young girls, twinks, gays is why he's getting the ax lol. What about mega success he had for many, many years which at x *def. crossed over to a mature AC sound. I'm not a fan but aside from Take That, he def. has a diverse catalog and again...this is man who's barely into his 40s not 60s lol! He def. has enough star-power in the UK/Europe to come back hard with the right song and album. The Stones, MJ, Cher and endless other men AND women who were/are well past 40 still scored airplay and/or mega hits! This is all just so F up.

If they were smart, they would have just said they didn't like the song. Now they just look like assholes

Funnily enough, that is the same thing to a certain degree. People should be given the chance to hear new music and not have radio programmers force what they consider should be listened to and their trite opinion of what is a good song. I have seen that argument be used by the ghastly repetitive radio stations in Australia which play the same 5 or 6 songs from the same artists all the time in virtually hourly sessions. Then they say that it is their right and choice to play the songs they like and who their listeners will like. It is just another cop-out and excuse to try and explain the bias they show. They are so corrupt and have too much say and power.

Shirley Manson is a fan. Stupid Girl is inspired by Express Yourself....without sounding like it and she credited the inspiration contrary to some. She made many supportive tweets especially the one about people not zooming on G. Clooney's hands like they do to Madonna. On their last tour they mix a bit of Erotica in #1 Crush.

Funnily enough, that is the same thing to a certain degree. People should be given the chance to hear new music and not have radio programmers force what they consider should be listened to and their trite opinion of what is a good song. I have seen that argument be used by the ghastly repetitive radio stations in Australia which play the same 5 or 6 songs from the same artists all the time in virtually hourly sessions. Then they say that it is their right and choice to play the songs they like and who their listeners will like. It is just another cop-out and excuse to try and explain the bias they show. They are so corrupt and have too much say and power.

Yeah, apart from listening to JJJ on the odd occassions in the car, general commercial radio in Australia is beyond appalling!! I just had a car journey from Adelaide to Melbourne and ended up listening to either MMM (for the pop 'classics') or ABC Radio National (!!!) when I needed a break from 'Rebel Heart' (LOL).

There was once a time when all you would hear from one radio station to another was P!nk, P!nk and more P!nk ("The Bogan's Pop Princess" as one of my friends tags her).

Funnily enough, I only ever hear Madonna tracks when I am shopping in Coles or Woolworths and they are playing over the p.a.

Oh believe me they are clueless. My brother in law used to have a radio show (OK only local) He wasnt allowed to play Lenny Kravitz because nobody knew who he was.

EVERYBODY wants to hear the new Madonna. Good or bad!

The segment on The View about Madonna being banned from Radio 1:

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-view/video/pl5554876/vdka0_74daje7g

Sounds like Whoopie was kinda supportive of M. She was being dismissive of BBC Radio 1 when she said that at the end. I guess that's one way to respond, but I prefer the approach of tackling the issue head on, and whether you succeed or fail at least you tried to do something.

Madonna fans have rallied together to get the star's new single playlisted on BBC Radio 1.

Reports emerged over the weekend suggesting that the radio station has put a ban on playlisting any new music by the 56-year-old singer, as it deems her irrelevant for its younger demographic.

However, the BBC has since refuted the claims, stating that it decides its Radio 1 playlist on the merit of the song in question and not an artist's age.

That said, Madonna's fans have continued to bombard Radio 1 with requests to play her new single 'Living for Love'.

After putting a call out for their Ten Minute Takeover feature on Facebook, hundreds of fans asked for Madonna's new single.

"I'm 17. I'm not old. I want to listen to MADONNA!!" one Facebook user commented, while numerous others posted YouTube embeds of the star's new music video.

BBC Radio 1 has played 'Living for Love' just once since its debut in December, while the single has been added to rival station Capital FM's main playlist.

What's more, producer Diplo has waged into the debate, tweeting: "Tell @BBCR1 that age and nothing but a # and support @NICKIMINAJ @Madonna."

Coincidentally, footage of Madonna criticizing the problem of ageism in popular music during an interview with Jonathan Ross 20 years ago is being shared, as the chat show host announced a new one-off special with the star for next month.

Madonna's new album Rebel Heart will be released on March 9.

It includes new single 'Living for Love', as well as promotional tracks 'Unapologetic Bitch', 'Iconic', 'Ghosttown' and 'Bitch I'm Madonna' featuring Nicki Minaj.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/celebs/news/a36653/madonna-fans-bombard-bbc-radio-1/

But LFL is one of her most non-offensive songs and looks ever. It's just a nice, simple, straightforward song with a lovely video. Nothing controversial about it. They have no reason to ban her.

maybe, but they have banned people before for being controversial. back in 1977 they banned the sex pistols for God Save The Queen.

Now how old do you think Helen Boaden (Director of Radio over there) is?

She sure does not look young to me and she is a woman. How does she expain the obvious hypocrisy?

58, OLDER than Madonna and she looks like she is 70

i don't want madonna played on radio 1, she doesn't need radio 1. she needs to distance herself from them as far as possible. i know you all want her music to be heard, but there are other radio stations out there. she should not be put amongst taylor swift and one direction on a playlist. she's better than that.

BBC 1 has sent me a response to my complaint

Dear Mr Martin

Reference CAS-3156984-LFYSJF

Thank you for your comments regarding Radio 1 ‘banning’ Madonna for being ‘too old’.

Firstly, we can assure you that, despite what some newspapers decided to report, Radio 1 has not banned Madonna. However, it is true to say we do not think her new record will be of great interest to our young target audience and have therefore decided not to add the track to our daytime playlist.

With regard accusations of ageism, Paul McCartney, aged 72, is currently on the Radio 1 A-List with his song with Kanye West and Rihanna; and Radio 1 presenter Annie Nightingale, aged 74, is also significantly older than Madonna. Tracks are chosen on musical merit and their relevance to the audience on a case-by-case basis, and whilst around 40% of the country’s 15 to 29 year-olds tune into Radio 1 each week, an artist’s age is never a factor. We will continue to play Madonna tracks which we feel our listeners will appreciate and enjoy.

Thank you again for contacting us, we value your feedback about Radio 1. All complaints are sent to senior management and the Radio 1 controller every morning and I included your points in this overnight report. These reports are among the most widely read sources of feedback in the BBC and ensures that your complaint has been seen by the right people quickly. This helps inform their decisions about current and future programmes.

Kind regards

Andrew Gilfillan

BBC Complaints

i don't want madonna played on radio 1, she doesn't need radio 1. she needs to distance herself from them as far as possible. i know you all want her music to be heard, but there are other radio stations out there. she should not be put amongst taylor swift and one direction on a playlist. she's better than that.

Madonna nor Taylor for that matter need the "Radio" for say. Madonna's legend is cemented and everyone looks up to her. Who cares if 1 crap station doesn't play her but eventually all the young stars will get old and once again Madonna is fighting the battle for the young stars.

This article is claiming Radio 1 did play LFL yesterday. I don't believe it, since Radio 1 would have stated so in their press release if they'd played the song.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1850255/bbc-confirms-madonna-ban-was-false-tabloid-hack-job/

I am in the group on Facebook about Boycotting the crap station. and I heard nothing about it. If it was played, I would have definitely heard about it.

The 10 minute takeover was unbelievably ignored. I could barely find Pink! A suggestion maybe....if radio 1 are not ageist, and claim that they have not banned Madonna. Maybe tomorrows takeover feed should be filled with ANY Madonna track and not just L4L. Surely then R1's true colours would be seen?

BBC 1 has sent me a response to my complaint

Dear Mr Martin

Reference CAS-3156984-LFYSJF

Thank you for your comments regarding Radio 1 ‘banning’ Madonna for being ‘too old’.

Firstly, we can assure you that, despite what some newspapers decided to report, Radio 1 has not banned Madonna. However, it is true to say we do not think her new record will be of great interest to our young target audience and have therefore decided not to add the track to our daytime playlist.

With regard accusations of ageism, Paul McCartney, aged 72, is currently on the Radio 1 A-List with his song with Kanye West and Rihanna; and Radio 1 presenter Annie Nightingale, aged 74, is also significantly older than Madonna. Tracks are chosen on musical merit and their relevance to the audience on a case-by-case basis, and whilst around 40% of the country’s 15 to 29 year-olds tune into Radio 1 each week, an artist’s age is never a factor. We will continue to play Madonna tracks which we feel our listeners will appreciate and enjoy.

Thank you again for contacting us, we value your feedback about Radio 1. All complaints are sent to senior management and the Radio 1 controller every morning and I included your points in this overnight report. These reports are among the most widely read sources of feedback in the BBC and ensures that your complaint has been seen by the right people quickly. This helps inform their decisions about current and future programmes.

Kind regards

Andrew Gilfillan

BBC Complaints

Form Letter bullshit.

"we don't think her new song will be of interest to our young viewers".... how the FUCK would they even know if you refuse to play it due to age discrimination?

And using Paul McCartney as an example on a song where he's basically a backstage prop...??? FUCK you idiots.

As for all the "musical merit and relevance" shit.... BULLSHIT. Like anything of 1D or Taylor Swift has any of the sort...