BBC Radio 1 Boycotts Madonna. Fans rally and ANNIHILATE ageist DJs!

lautnerfied

garbage (shirley manson)

if I was @madonna I would seriously contemplate suing BBC Radio 1 for discrimination in the workplace. Just for sport. S

I love Shirley Manson, she stuck up for M a few years ago also, around the time of MDNA release, when the Daily Mail and others were giving her shit about how she looked

I know this is about UK, but there is a lot of buzz for this kind of discrimination. However this has been happening in US since a lot of years and it seems to be normal. Fans complain but no change at all. Do you think this is because is something not seen in UK until now and of course due Madonna?

I think partly in the UK it is because BBC Radio 1 is a public radio station funded by tax dollars, whereas in the US it is private corporations. The public is offended in this situation because tax dollars are being used to fund discrimination. But your point is valid, it has been happening for a long time in the US (including against Madonna) but nothing has changed until now. Hopefully this incident will be trigger a debate about ageism in radio (as well as other areas). It's a long overdue conversation. As many others have noted, I don't see this as any different than other forms of discrimination, such as based on race or religion, however it seems to be deemed ok if the discrimination is based on age, and to a certain degree on gender. Hopefully this is the beginning of change in these practices.

I know this is about UK, but there is a lot of buzz for this kind of discrimination. However this has been happening in US since a lot of years and it seems to be normal. Fans complain but no change at all. Do you think this is because is something not seen in UK until now and of course due Madonna?

There is a HUGE difference. BBC Radio 1 just refused to play any new Madonna during the MDNA and the current era. They don't bother to play her AT ALL. Not even once. Not even C-List.

US radio always plays her lead single. They played AL quite a bit, then research results arrived after a couple of weeks and they were completely horrible. Hung Up peaked in the top20 on 2 radio formats which is amazing for a 47 year old woman with a disco song at a time when dance was completely dead. 4 Minutes reached top5 on pop airplay. GMAYL had a huge radio deal. LFL is getting very good airplay right now.

The US has always been there for the lead single. It's the target audience of pop radio that does not respond well.

Radio1 does't even try. They didn't even play GMAYL which featured younger artists.

Madonna’s single is being played on Radio 2, which caters for an audience aged over 35. By contrast, Sir Paul McCartney’s new single will be played by Radio 1 even though the former Beatle is 72. This is because the track is a collaboration with rapper Kanye West, 37, and pop mega-star Rihanna, 26.

Ok, M should get Rihanna to sing that one single word line "Lovvvvvvvvvvvvve". JUST one line.

Will they play? :1251:

From UK mix

Diplo and Boy George are coming for BBC Radio 1's blood on Twitter.

Something is happening. Hopefully she posts something on Instagram telling the radio programmers to go **** themselves.

There's a huge war of words on alleged "Madonna ban" on BBC Radio 1. Their Facebook page is totally occupied by "Living For Love" requests. And if you type #BoycottBBCR1 on Twitter, You won't believe your eyes. There are thousands of tweets. Even a few celebrities has something to say, including Shirley Manson from Garbage, Boy George and Darren Hayes.

B-AyJjZIEAQh7BQ.jpg

It's so contradictory that every time anyone wants to say that Madonna's so irrelevant and old they have to devote a whole article about her being irrelevant and old .

and from Radio 1

Radio 1 does not ban anyone – please don’t believe the papers.

The tracks played on Radio 1 are chosen on musical merit and their relevance to our young audience on a case-by-case basis, and whilst around 40% of the country's 15 to 29-year-olds tune into Radio 1 each week, an artist's age is never a factor.

In fact, Paul McCartney currently has two tracks - 'FourFiveSeconds' and 'Only One' - on the Radio 1 playlist.

And Bravo! at this comment

"Only One" is Kanye West and "FourFiveSeconds" is a Rihanna track where Kanye West sings with her while Paul just plays the guitar and is barely audible in the background.

My complaint has gone to the bbc complaints through ofcom, I mentioned why is it acceptable to play Paul McCartney with Rihanna when he is his 60s, as a broadcaster not only are they coming across as ageist but sexist too and the whole route of being a licence fee payer.

:chuckle::clap:

tumblr_njv3oeD0Nv1sop09ko1_250.gif

Rather fuckin transparent, wouldn't you say? I heard they banned Robbie Williams too because he's reached 40, a massive act all over Europe, what a joke they are :rotfl: So they only play One D, Rihanna, Bieber, Taylor Twat, Lily Allen and Rita Oral because they're in their 20s? Nice :semifunny:

FUCK YOU BBC Radio Dumb. Give people credit for some intelligence. This has written sexism and ageism all over it. Plus of course when Madonna gets banned either from Piers Axed Show Morgan's living room or radio it's always a bit of free publicity for them, innit?

So glad it has backfired spectacularly, :queenbitch:

and from Radio 1

The tracks played on Radio 1 are chosen on musical merit and their relevance to our young audience on a case-by-case basis, and whilst around 40% of the country's 15 to 29-year-olds tune into Radio 1 each week, an artist's age is never a factor.

In fact, Paul McCartney currently has two tracks - 'FourFiveSeconds' and 'Only One' - on the Radio 1 playlist.

And Bravo! at this comment

"Only One" is Kanye West and "FourFiveSeconds" is a Rihanna track where Kanye West sings with her while Paul just plays the guitar and is barely audible in the background.

:rotfl:

Guest Rachelle of London

Guys they only banned me after I requested my license fee back and stated that with all thats going on with the BBC they really shouldnt be discriminating. There are people that have been spamming them for days and havent been blocked. Looks like I ruffled some feathers in BBC HQs. I want my license fee back

Guest Rachelle of London

All the fans that have asked them why they refuse to play artists over 30 have all been blocked, all the ones repeatedly posting Living for Love haven't. They really dont wanna answer our questions.

It's so contradictory that every time anyone wants to say that Madonna's so irrelevant and old they have to devote a whole article about her being irrelevant and old .

so true, this reminds me of the endless articles about how she was finished in 1992! when you are irrelevant nobody talks about you

that said, madonna will arrive at the UK with even more controversy than the usual, and I think this time the regular people from the UK will be with her. God, they even banned Robbie, the biggest english star of the last two decades!!! and coldplay? are they banned? they will be soon!!

this is shit. And their explanation of Paul mcrateny...everybody knows that he´s not the main artists of the songs, that´s why they are playing them!!! I hope this makes more headlines, talk shows...and not because madonna is involved, just because is discrimination, and with public taxes!

Lily was Banned too, it was reported by good morning tv the other day. It's a joke that 1D and Cheryl has musical merit than M, Robbie and Take That! Seriously what a joke of a station!

Guest Rachelle of London

There's some obese chav thats commenting saying Madonna isn't current and is past her day. I insulted her triple chin I bet it was her that reported me.

Statement from Radio 1 on their Facebook page:

People are not taking it well - they're spamming with Living For Love video links again!