BBC Radio 1 Boycotts Madonna. Fans rally and ANNIHILATE ageist DJs!

lautnerfied

BBC Radio1 bans Madonna for being "too old for teenagers"
Get out of the goove! Now Radio 1 bans Madonna, 56, for being 'irrelevant and old' for its teenage listeners
Radio 1 has banned Madonna for being 'irrelevant and old' for its listeners
The 56-year-old singer has been dropped from the station's playlist
The singer's latest single has been available since December 20 last year
It has only been played on the station ONCE since its release

She has dominated the airwaves during 30 years as a chart-topper and is the most successful female recording artist of all-time, but now Radio 1 has decided that Madonna is an immaterial girl and just too old for its teenage listeners.

Despite her determined efforts to look – and sound – youthful, the 56-year-old has been dropped from the station’s playlist that determines which songs are played by DJs during the day.
Madonna’s latest song is Living For Love and has been available for airplay since December 20 last year.

Yet it has been played on Radio 1 just once – on January 9 when DJ Annie Mac played it on her evening show. But that was after 7pm, when songs not on the playlist can be broadcast.
The track is the first single from the mother of four’s new album, Rebel Heart. The station last night said the single had been omitted from playlists on the basis of ‘audience relevance’ and ‘musical merit’.

A Radio 1 insider said: ‘At the end of the day it’s all about relevance. It’s natural that as an artist gets older their audience goes elsewhere and Radio 1 has to reflect that.
‘The station has a duty to meet the needs of younger listeners. I don’t think the audience is losing sleep that it is not playing Madonna in the same way that it used to.’

The snub represents a remarkable fall from grace for the star who notched up 13 UK No 1s (more than any other female artist) between 1982 and 2008. She finds herself alongside Sir Cliff Richard, Take That, Kate Bush and Robbie Williams on a long list of artists who struggle to get new material played on the station.

Madonna’s single is being played on Radio 2, which caters for an audience aged over 35. By contrast, Sir Paul McCartney’s new single will be played by Radio 1 even though the former Beatle is 72. This is because the track is a collaboration with rapper Kanye West, 37, and pop mega-star Rihanna, 26.

A Radio 1 spokesman said: ‘Tracks are chosen on musical merit, and while around 40 per cent of the country’s 15 to 29-year-olds tune into Radio 1 each week, an artist’s age is never a factor.’

Radio 1's new policies were introduced in 2010 and since then they have never played anyone aged over 40 years old.

The last Madonna song that was A-listed on Radio1 was Celebration in 2009.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3Rm0bGQDs
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Disgraceful.

This time around there is enough good will towards her that this story will only serve as a negative mark on Radio 1 and hopefully propel her even further up Radio 2's playlist (which she's already on and which has a bigger audience as a station anyway) and give us that Top 5 UK placing for the Queen's song of life, LIVING FOR LOVE.

How stupid. I know that some radio stations are now having much smaller playlists that they play on rotation every hour (!) and so need to make decisions, but this is so stupid because (A) the reasons are not at all valid and (B) i cant believe they would admit to such stupid reasons.

I dont know about radio is the UK, but everyone there should either boycott the station, or else everyone ring up and request that play madonna songs all the time.

I posted a blog about this on my Tumblr if anyone's interested.

http://dirtydietrich.tumblr.com/post/111117392523/madonna-banned-from-radio-1-uk-for-being-old-and

It's not much but I do have a couple thousand followers and I've encouraged people to share the article and take the issue further. It CANNOT be ignored.

I posted a blog about this on my Tumblr if anyone's interested.

http://dirtydietrich.tumblr.com/post/111117392523/madonna-banned-from-radio-1-uk-for-being-old-and

It's not much but I do have a couple thousand followers and I've encouraged people to share the article and take the issue further. It CANNOT be ignored.

Great post!

:thumbsup:

^ good read, and a really valid point regarding discovering the amazing back catalogue.

I'm really annoyed about this, it's quite upsetting to think they can just kick her to the curb like her legacy means nothing... it's just wrong! Never tuning into that station again, especially if that annoying nick grimshaw is still on it.

Something tells me this isn't going to go down too well at the BBC, they've chosen the wrong artist / fan base to piss off.

One Direction or bloody Manface Goulding for our young people...by order of the BBC.

The disgusting corporation. that WE pay for, should have been shut down years ago. Good to see major support for M on the comments.

Kylie'sTiara is back with another gem..

KyliesSparklyTiarra, Formby, 12 hours ago

Madonna had her day. Radio 1 can't be forgiven for not playing Kylie, the UNDISPUTED QUEEN OF POP who's STILL GOING STRONG today!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Radio 1 is full of shit! So the minute an artist turns 40,they become "irrelevant?". Why are they so concerned with chasing the youth market? It's radio stations are funded through the licence fee,most of which I assume is paid for by people over 40! I think I'll tell the BBC that I won't be paying my licence fee,because I think they're irrelevant! Bunch of fuckers!

Stupid! I don't really listen to the radio as they usually have 5 of the latest songs that are played on a loop.

That's just it; radios arbitrarily decide what the latest songs are and then the public decides which of those they like and continue to purchase on iTunes, etc. That's why radios are still important in terms of a song's success. When a listener phones in and picks their favorite song they usually pick one of the songs that has already been preselected for them.

Wow, never thought I would see the day when a horrible article from the Daily mail that was meant to ridicule Madonna, has now had the opposite effect with so many people being rightfully outraged. That is a fantastic result for people power, common sense and fairness.

Nikki, as you asked for help, you should get Carey to help you with the petition. What Carey posted on this thread was wonderfully written.