ICONIC

CJM

Ok, obviously Madonna does not sing the word fart in verse two, but it is absolutely what it sounds like. I have played this amazing song thirteen times now, and I don't know if she is trolling us, but what is the actual word? Fight??

Fight is what I'm assuming it's supposed to be...

I love the song but I don't understand a word that Champ raps :mellow:

Gave it my best shot here: http://forums.madonnanation.com/index.php?showtopic=48461

Madonna posted the lyric on her Instagram and the lyric is "I can, icon, two letters apart." ;)

I am glad my initial assumption was right. I can't, Icon doesn't make any sense in my opinion.

Madonna posted the lyric on her Instagram and the lyric is "I can, icon, two letters apart." ;)

Yes, I was thinking it is I Can as opposed to can't... makes more sense :-)

I am glad my initial assumption was right. I can't, Icon doesn't make any sense in my opinion.

It's only 1 letter appart no? How come nobody told her?

First, like fabian says, if it is "I can" and "Icon" -- that is only one letter apart.

Second, I wouldn't really go by her typing and spelling on Instagram. I love the woman with all of my heart, so I don't say this to be disrespectful, but she needs a copy editor/proofreader sometimes. (I know, I know... word police! etc.) She has a ton of typos.

The reason I think it is "I can't / Icon" (which is two letters apart - the 'a' and the 't') is that she is saying there is only a small distinction that makes a BIG difference -- between a defeatist, victim mentality ("I can't") and an indomitable attitude ("Icon") -- the next line is "One step away from being lost in the dark." Do we think Madonna is just one step away from obscurity and losing her way? Not typically. We think of her as being firmly planted in the center of the cosmos as the brightest star of all. But she's saying there's only this invisible quality ("a part no one sees" a "burnin' fire that's underneath") that separates the truly great ones who become leaders from the ones who settle for mediocrity and failure.

[Re: Instagram again...She may have been playing off of her own lyrics anyway -- she may have been highlighting herself as an "I can" person as opposed to an "I can't" person.]

Not saying I'm right. But there are some YouTube lyric videos out there (which can be just as wrong, I grant you) that go with "I can't" rather than "I can." She's using a literary device called "contrast" -- just because it doesn't seem to make sense on the surface doesn't mean she can't be using it to flip people's expectations.

• 2 weeks later...

ApRt from the rhyming, why does she use the word "ironic". Maybe it's ironic that icon and icant are 2 letters apart

No, I think she's talking about the song... I don't think she thinks everybody is meant to be an iconic superstar.

Have you guys tried listening to this on full volume at home? It's such a dance track!!! This MUST be a single!

It's 2 letters apart. The 'a' in I can and 'o' in icon. That's how i understand it at least.

Yes, it means that to come out of the darkness, and to become an icon, all you need is the "I can" attitude.

It's generally music that I'm not keen on. I thought the demo was fair. But, I love the album version sooo much.

I can't explain, maybe it's the lyrics with the strong production. Powerful lyrics with powerful production maybe.

This song just 'works'! Inspirational!....& motivational!

My interpretation is 2 letters apart....meaning the 'a' & the 'o',which to me is 2 letters.

She says I can't Icon two letters appart. My bad apparently she does say I can? Gosh. I can't with this song one time i hear can't then can. I want this on tour and a single because fuck.

Edited by JoanOfArc

Utter shite. I seriously question why is it that she has an amazing catalogue of unreleased songs but then releases stuff like this. It's like she experimented with all these sounds and tried to create something. Nope. Hated it.