5iVe Elements

Katy Perry thread

925 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, madonna_fan1988 said:

wow...the song is starting to stall on itunes. i'm surprised!

Has Hillary tainted Katy?? Has Middle America abandoned her??? :lmao:

katy-perry-hillary-clinton-aubrey-plaza.

Nah. I think Katy will be just fine. She really has no competition right now. It will be number one in a few weeks. 

36 minutes ago, madonna_fan1988 said:

wow...the song is starting to stall on itunes. i'm surprised!

Yup. Hoping it doesn't happen but wouldn't be 'that' surprised if it stalls and/or actually does NOT hit #1. But did think it would at least front load to #1..even if just briefly. Dunno about it 'plummeting' but who knows! Almost everyone assumed it would skyrocket to #1 based on her name and what I thought was demand. Dunno how this is any better or worse than Part Of Me which I think is one of her worst songs. Bland as hell lol. Yet that smashed. There's just waay worse crap out there now than this song by lesser known singers who go very close to #1 effortlessly. 

6 minutes ago, Ciccone's Cheeks said:

Yup. Hoping it doesn't happen but wouldn't be 'that' surprised if it stalls and/or actually does NOT hit #1. But did think it would at least front load to #1..even if just briefly. Dunno about it 'plummeting' but who knows! Almost everyone assumed it would skyrocket to #1 based on her name and what I thought was demand. Dunno how this is any better or worse than Part Of Me which I think is one of her worst songs. Bland as hell lol. Yet that smashed. There's just waay worse crap out there now than this song by lesser known singers who go very close to #1 effortlessly. 

The market is changing again...and a lot of artists that ruled the digital era will be left behind. We'll see if Katy is one of those. 

I'm also surprised it hasn't climbed higher on iTunes. 

26 minutes ago, madonna_fan1988 said:

The market is changing again...and a lot of artists that ruled the digital era will be left behind. We'll see if Katy is one of those. 

Could def be. The fact this is typical 2011/12 Katy Perry could very well be issue. May be a Gaga effect- the sound and shtick may finally be wearing out to the GP. We all know she didn't raise the bar w/ this lol or most of her songs but in this case it's still a first single after a 3.5 year wait from someone who was one of if not the biggest female stars.

When the feedback I'm seeing online is 50/50 ish at best, not usually a good sign. People are just all over the place of their criticism w/ the song. Like I said most are not feeling the production. Others dont like the chorus or flow. Poor Katy. Dont want her to flop or under-perform. I think the latter may happen more than the former. Though if it 'only' goes top 10 or top 5 (Bruno Mars style) most will say it's a flop :/   

9 minutes ago, Kilt said:

Not Lady Ugly or Mariah markets lol but still wish it was bigger and more :( 

1 minute ago, Ciccone's Cheeks said:

Not Lady Ugly or Mariah markets lol but still wish it was bigger and more :( 

Give it some time! After the Grammys it will be No.1 everywhere.

55 minutes ago, mnino said:

Has Hillary tainted Katy?? Has Middle America abandoned her??? :lmao:

katy-perry-hillary-clinton-aubrey-plaza.

Nah. I think Katy will be just fine. She really has no competition right now. It will be number one in a few weeks. 

lmao! Um..I and others were thinking that :/ Dunno how 'Work' did  on iTunes but streaming made it a #1 smash on the charts. This is MILES better than Work lol. So if Work can get to #1 hopefully this can! As others said really hoping (as usual for Katy) that second single is the true jam, 

33 minutes ago, madonna_fan1988 said:

Meaning it's moving more toward streaming?

24 minutes ago, Ciccone's Cheeks said:

Could def be. The fact this is typical 2011/12 Katy Perry could very well be issue. May be a Gaga effect- the sound and shtick may finally be wearing out to the GP. We all know she didn't raise the bar w/ this lol or most of her songs but in this case it's still a first single after a 3.5 year wait from someone who was one of if not the biggest female stars.

When the feedback I'm seeing online is 50/50 ish at best, not usually a good sign. People are just all over the place of their criticism w/ the song. Like I said most are not feeling the production. Others dont like the chorus or flow. Poor Katy. Dont want her to flop or under-perform. I think the latter may happen more than the former. Though if it 'only' goes top 10 or top 5 (Bruno Mars style) most will say it's a flop :/   

What is her "shtick" exactly? It's not like she released "California Gurls 2" with whipped cream coming out of her tits. This sounds fresh and different for her. She could have easily released something safe that sounded like "Firework" or "Roar" (which I thought was totally underwhelming at the time but grew on me a lot). I also dig the production. It's very '80s and there's also a chillness to it that reminds me of '90s R&B. I don't see why this wouldn't smash at radio right now. Remixes will definitely help on dance radio. We'll see I guess...

Is it possible that the general public is perceiving the song as anti-trump? Katy could be having an American Life backlash, on a much smaller scale of course. 

Itunes doesn't mean a thing today though.

Spotify is where she has to slay in order to make this a hit. 

It will be a hit IMO, give it some time....Katy has to win the GP back singles wise, she had two monster hits during the Prism era but the rest of the singles didn't really smash (they were popular of course but they weren't smashes). 

The hype can't be compared to the one Roar had as back then she was coming from the monster TD era which spawned 8 hits in a row. 

Let the promo begin and this song will slay the charts. 

I'm not saying the Prism era wasn't big (it was) but the TD era was simply massive.

16 hours ago, Ciccone's Cheeks said:

I hate it.

1 hour ago, Lucky Star One said:

Is it possible that the general public is perceiving the song as anti-trump? Katy could be having an American Life backlash, on a much smaller scale of course. 

Nah. The song is just lame.

It has only been released with as yet no proper video being shown. Too much analysis of Katy going on. I for one love that she gave her opinion on politics and has a voice.  If people are going to hold it against her, we may as well just expect all pop stars to never give their views in case it may upset their demographic. As we are all Madonna fans, that is poison to us.  Love that Katy is a Pure pop star who is unpretentious but who still has personality and views. 

Give the single and her some time to impact. Things don't have to be sudden. 

She's been on the top for a while.

Nobody stays on top forever.

Time to come down.

CTTR just surpassed Million Reasons on Itunes US :goodbye:

Katy has been around for 10 years now. 10 years is a lifetime in pop culture and especially in pop music  

There's NO WAY she can replicate the success of Teenage Dream. That album will go down as one of the most defining pop albums of her generation. It's a True Blue, Thriller, Purple Rain. The fact that Prism was AS big as it was is a feat in its own right. 

This song should hit the top 10. She may get another one or two from this era. But her days of slamming out 5 #1's in a row are gone. 

50 minutes ago, Orion said:

Itunes doesn't mean a thing today though.

Spotify is where she has to slay in order to make this a hit. 

It will be a hit IMO, give it some time....Katy has to win the GP back singles wise, she had two monster hits during the Prism era but the rest of the singles didn't really smash (they were popular of course but they weren't smashes). 

The hype can't be compared to the one Roar had as back then she was coming from the monster TD era which spawned 8 hits in a row. 

Let the promo begin and this song will slay the charts. 

I'm not saying the Prism era wasn't big (it was) but the TD era was simply massive.

The Prism era most def was big. Obviously very, very hard to duplicate a TD. For a new or even older artist Prism did 'above average'. TD was absolutely her Like A Virgin, Thriller etc...In terms of hits and impact it was almost equal for 2010/2011 standards. Yes Prism was kind of spotty but the hits that clicked were huge. Just so happened the 2nd and 4th singles slightly under performed and/or were mediocre to many but weren't at all bad or 'flops'. Clearly, she almost has a perfect track record. I think her only true bomb so far has been Thinking Of You which was awful lol

11 minutes ago, KalamazooJay said:

Katy has been around for 10 years now. 10 years is a lifetime in pop culture and especially in pop music  

There's NO WAY she can replicate the success of Teenage Dream. That album will go down as one of the most defining pop albums of her generation. It's a True Blue, Thriller, Purple Rain. The fact that Prism was AS big as it was is a feat in its own right. 

This song should hit the top 10. She may get another one or two from this era. But her days of slamming out 5 #1's in a row are gone. 

haha almost said the same thing ;) lol. *Though I would NOT count her out for getting them 5 more #1s! Shes only 32 and clearly no fool if she's still this big 10 yrs later! 

22 minutes ago, Orion said:

CTTR just surpassed Million Reasons on Itunes US :goodbye:

Yippie! lol :D Million Turds need to be flushed further down though lol 

I think Katy will still do superb.

I am just thinking of Alanis Morissette, when she ruled the world charts with her debut album. But afterwards she couldnt manage to have a sober success.

Of course Alanis and Katy are two different shoes we cannot compare them ultimatley.

2 hours ago, jazzyjan said:

It has only been released with as yet no proper video being shown. Too much analysis of Katy going on. I for one love that she gave her opinion on politics and has a voice.  If people are going to hold it against her, we may as well just expect all pop stars to never give their views in case it may upset their demographic. As we are all Madonna fans, that is poison to us.  Love that Katy is a Pure pop star who is unpretentious but who still has personality and views. 

Give the single and her some time to impact. Things don't have to be sudden. 

:clap: