Madonna at the Met Gala

rb19

newyorksocialdiary

lizsmith.jpg

Wednesday, May 6, 2015
by Liz Smith

I PRAISE Madonna a lot. I know that annoys some of you. Sorry! But I’ve also laced that praise with criticism, or at least my idea of what she might do, or say (or not say) or wear. I admire the fact that she has never taken my advice. Or anyone’s. She has traveled to the beat of her own techno-music.

But sometimes she’s perfect. I do mean her appearance at the massive Met Fashion Gala the other night in NYC. There she was, with long straight hair (gone are the overworked waves), beautiful makeup, and a stylish, whimsical, subtly sexy black gown by the designer Moschino. (Well, it was more subtle than a lot of what The Big M wears. It was certainly more subtle than Beyonce's get-up.) Totally appropriate for the pop goddess she is, and always will be. (Haters, listen up — even if she never has another No. 1 hit, she’ll always be the Queen. Accept that.)

rs_634x1024-150504180930-634_madonna-met

When I saw the photos I wanted to reach in, hand her a microphone and say, “Sing out, Madonna Louise Ciccone — croon those ballads. Do your Dietrich!” Well, that’s my fantasy and problem. It will never be Madonna’s reality. But I am satisfied she looked like this for the Met event. She also looked like she was having fun. (Still rare for this workaholic.)

People — even so-called “fans” — often say she’s desperate to stay in touch with the youth culture. I think she simply enjoys composing and performing edgy material. She likes collaborating with young people. I believe she enjoys the music she makes. If she was “desperate” for a certain kind of approbation, she’d work on an album of standards. Or a “Duets” disc. Not. Going. To. Happen.

Privately, as a woman, she has changed. As an artist? Same as 1983. And if you can’t see it, you don’t know your Madonna.

1983-Gary-Heery-01.jpg

M about what happens when you go to the Met gala @1:40:

She makes me laugh so much. I think a lot of these events seem a lot more glamorous and fun when you look at pictures than when you are actually there. It reminds me of the charity events I used to have to go to as part of my job for a non profit. You have to get all dressed up, but then sit there and wait forever for your food and make small talk with rich boring people.

Liz is probably one of the first ever Madonna fan.

Well i say that with a grain of salt since apparently some have been following her since the Gotham days going to her gigs

She's a STAN baby… love her

WHAAAAAAT?!!!

gaultier was there? and we dont have a photo? hmmm...

alicia-keys-jean-paul-gaultier-met-gala-

Alicia Keys (so random) and him looking over it on the red carpet… that Victor/Victoria number would've been gorgeous on a more appropriate frame (woman :))

I don't know why but I immediately pictured Azealia Banks killing it.

Edited by billyto

also

at lady gaga's afterparty: "Eventually, word came that Madonna was there, and half the room seemed to run off to chase her down." - nymag

gaga retweeted it http://nymag.com/thecut/2015/05/inside-lady-gagas-raucous-met-gala-after-party.html?mid=twitter_nymag

love! she's a star even when she's with other "stars" ;)

She's the star of all stars!!

Madonna was STUNNING all night long.

I agree, I think she has drank the potion of youth purchased from Isabella Roselini ( Death becomes her character)

she has reversed the hands of time.

it is remarkable. truly.