What is the surround sound like on TOD bluray?

Guest bluejean

Guest bluejean

For eg, is the dialogue on a separate channel from the music numbers? Are the vocals for the songs on a track by themselves? Any info would be appreciated.

I want to try and edit out certain pieces of dialogue from the songs.

Guest bluejean

^ Truth Or Dare

If you mean the segments with narration overlapping some of the concert segments...I think both vocals are mixed into the center channel. I'll double check at home tonight. Are you thinking of any particular segment?

Well I just want to edit versions of the live performances without the speaking over the top. But then I may also want the speaking seperate without the music under it (Live To Tell speech for example.)

I'm not even sure really, I just want to play around with it and get the best version/s of the songs possible.

I did the same with Sooner or Later on Dick Tracy and apart from some slurping sounds :lol: I managed to cut the dialogue out of the intro and outro and it sounds really good.

Guest bluejean

I'm wondering too about Vision Quest. It would be great to have those performances of CFY and Gambler without dialogue but I suspect that particular DVD does not have surround sound. Does anyone know?

Guest bluejean

Well I sussed it out and the surround sound on TOD sucks. All the channels are basically the same thing. No seperate dialogue or vocals on the centre channel.

All VHS movies with Stereo soundtracks would have two soundtracks...one in Stereo, and one in Mono, for playback on VCRs that didn't have Stereo heads on them. And if there were playback problems with the Stereo tracks (likely, as they were the first to go with wear and tear on the tape), playback would fall back to the Mono track.

(This has been your insane retro-tech update for today)

I love that. CBS Fox Video cassettes were always advertised as Mono Compatible.

Guest bluejean

It was originally mixed for 2-channel Dolby Stereo, so the 5.1 mix was probably a quick "spread everything around" effort.

That's exactly what it sounds like. So do we have 5.1 versions of Vision Quest and DSS?

Can we get a clean Into The Groove demo free of sounds effects/dialogue from the film?

Can we get a clean Into The Groove demo free of sounds effects/dialogue from the film?

No, there's no surround mix of DSS, the original movie was mono (still pretty common back then) and the DTS-HD 2.0 on the blu is still 2 track mono.

No, there's no surround mix of DSS, the original movie was mono (still pretty common back then) and the DTS-HD 2.0 on the blu is still 2 track mono.

Several years ago I ripped the mono tracks in each of the european languages on the DVD, the german dubbed track one had less sound on top of ITG compared to the English track. Sadly I didn't keep it and I think it was dolby compressed anyway.

I've also had an attempt at removing the sounds on Vision Quest using spectral layers but it didn't work out, again only a lossy dolby stereo track from DVD.

Yeah the sound on DSS is horrible. It's basically the sound from a VHS with Blu ray HD picture on the screen :(