MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Junior

Pope Francis: Gay marriage will 'destroy the family,' 'disfigure God's plan'

Pope Francis: Gay marriage will 'destroy the family,' 'disfigure God's plan'

January 16, 2015
5:58 PM MST

c181a8891800ca8a05866d21e4837057.jpg?ito

Just 24 hours after Pope Francis called for restriction of free speech in regards to religious criticism, the once heralded leader of the Catholic Church is attacking same-sex marriage. Speaking in front of a large crowd in the Philippines, Francis appeared to revert back to the same rhetoric used by the church in the past.

Francis arrived in the Philippines on Friday for a five day trip and spoke to thousands in the heart of Manila, the country's capital city.While speaking on the issue of same sex marriage on Jan. 16, Francis went into attack mode. "The family is threatened by growing efforts on the part of some to redefine the very institution of marriage," Francis told the crowd. "These realities are increasingly under attack from powerful forces, which threaten to disfigure God’s plan for creation."

Francis has appeared to be more liberal than his predecessors in the past, once stating "who am I to judge?" when asked about possible gay clergy members. Francis' criticism of same-sex marriage comes just a day after he commented on the recent terrorist attacks in France. Though condemning the violent attacks, Francis seemed to put at least partial blame on the editors and cartoonists of Charlie Hebdo, the satirical magazine that was acted in Paris last week. "You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others," Francis said, saying that the magazine shouldn't have provoked the attackers.

After Francis took over for Pope Benedict XVI in March 2013, the 78-year-old Jesuit promised to change the perception of the Catholic Church. Francis received rave reviews from more progressive minded Catholics, but was dealt harsh criticism from those who support a more traditional, conservative handling of the church.

Anyone surprised? While everyone was kissing this man's ass because he was just saying all the right things for the past year, it was only a matter of time before the 'same old, same old' would seep through. He really talks out of both sides of his mouth, and with his slightly softer tone than his predecessor, has made people actually fall for his act.. He's basically a PR man. The fact that the media keeps using 'liberal/more progressive' to describe him is an insult to those of us who know what those labels actually mean. I hope all the liberals and moderates who have been praising this man for what they thought was going to be some real change from Catholic Christianity, with his whole "who am I to judge" rhetoric (which was just Catholic talk for "Love the sinner, hate the sin") are being given a wake up call. From this, to his flip-flopping on other issues, to his comments last week on free speech...the Vatican remains firmly on my shit list.

:fuckoff: :fuckoff: :fuckoff: :fuckoff: :fuckoff:

What's the source for this though?

It's not that I would be surpised if that guy said something like this, but this article does seem fishy to me. You don't find anything on the web regarding such a comment from him.

In any case, I neither think this guy is much more tolerant, 'better', whatever than his 200+ predecessors have been. The Vatican is a fucked up place and will continue to be this for eternity.

A PR facade Jesuit mason chosen to give the Vatican a fresh coat of saccharine paint

The goals are the same: preservation of maliciously acquired fortune and privilege

2000 years of crimes

Nauseating

y4.jpg

^ THIS.

Jesuits are the worst

Adam Weishaupt (18th century) mason and founder of the Illuminati of Bavaria was - surprise surprise - a Jesuit

Pope Francis: 'Curse my mother, expect a punch'

15 January 2015 Last updated at 17:15 GMT
Cattura_zps333c848e.jpg
Pope Francis has defended the right to freedom of expression but has said it was wrong to provoke others by insulting their religion. His comments followed the fatal attack on the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo in Paris last week.
To illustrate his point, the pontiff told journalists on the papal plane his assistant could expect a punch if he ''cursed his mother''. ''It's normal - you cannot provoke, you cannot insult the faith of others,'' he said.
Prime Minister David Cameron has disagreed with a comment made by Pope Francis, who warned against mocking others' religions
Cameron+Pope.jpg
Mr Cameron replied: "I think in a free society, there is a right to cause offence about someone's religion.
"I'm a Christian - if someone says something offensive about Jesus, I might find that offensive, but in a free society I don't have a right to, sort of, wreak my vengeance on them." He said as long as publications acted within the law, they had the right to publish any material, even if it was offensive to some.
Former Bishop of Oxford Richard Harries, writing in the Independent on Sunday, also suggested the Pope had been wrong to make the comments. He said: "I am a great admirer of the Pope, but when, to make the proper point that we should not insult the faith of others, he said his assistant could 'expect a punch' if he cursed his mother, I was aghast.
"The reference to a punch could easily be taken for a justification of violence in response to insult."

Cameron who wanted WhatsApp ban talks of freedom of expression? :chuckle:

Huge Disappointment, back to same old same old in the catholic church.

What's the source for this though?

It's not that I would be surpised if that guy said something like this, but this article does seem fishy to me. You don't find anything on the web regarding such a comment from him.

In any case, I neither think this guy is much more tolerant, 'better', whatever than his 200+ predecessors have been. The Vatican is a fucked up place and will continue to be this for eternity.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/pope-francis-suggests-gay-marriage-threatens-traditional-families

He said that the acceptance of gay marriage was "a move from the devil" when the equal marriage law in Argentina was approved in 2010

I agree with the Pope.... Let us just respect each other's belief system... There can be freedom of expression verbally, but there can be also freedom of expression by action... If you attack other people's religions, all of us being human, you're going to expect a response one way of another... But that doesn't mean that he agree on the retaliations in France...

As for the subject of gays and lesbians, Pope Francis once said, he can't judge gays who are in the clergy or wants to be priest, he said, "who am i to judge?" But he cannot change the Doctrine of the Church. The reason no Pope will ever accept gay marriage is because Catholicism is deeply rooted in the Bible that unions are for men and women...

As a Catholic myself, honestly, i really don't need to be married in a church... why would you want to get married in a church? there are civil unions recognized by states and governments anyway... we shouldn't force a Church or a belief system to change its view... It is enough that more and more people are accepting of gay couples and states and governments are recognizing gay unions... why bother with the church?

I could write "he can kiss my ass" but he ain't deserving that thing!

where is his statement condemning ISIS murdering gay people by throwing them off a building in public?

religion has nothing to do with this type of hatred, ever. You cant condemn one sin yet turn a blind eye to another.

So glad this piece of shit is out of our country. Flabbergasted with the fact that the country has to follow him everywhere as if their lives are going to get better seeing him from afar. I will never get religious fanaticism.

pope saying pope things. whats new?

not to offend anyone, however the head of any organized religion is froth with extreme bias opinions.

lol_anchorman.gif

Not that i want to defend this person, but reading the reports, i think we have been trolled!

" the popular pontiff spoke of an “ideological colonization that we have to be careful about that is trying to destroy the family,” the pope said through a translator. Many people understood his remarks as a reference to same-sex marriage"

Hello? He has not said that.

I think divorce disfigures God's plan more than anything. The two people he "put" together. Let's address that first.

24kyuci.jpg

:lmao:

I luv the Pope...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ABOARD THE PAPAL PLANE (Reuters) - Catholics should not feel they have to breed "like rabbits" because of the Church's ban on contraception, Pope Francis said on Monday, suggesting approved natural family planning methods.

Francis used the unusually frank language during an hour-long news conference on the plane from Manila to Rome at the end of his week-long Asia trip.

The freewheeling encounters have become a hallmark of Francis's simple style, his penchant for straight talk and his ease at using colloquialisms to make his point.

Speaking about corruption, he disclosed that, in his native Argentina in 1994, he almost kicked two government bureaucrats "where the sun doesn't shine" after they tried to involve him in a kickback scheme.

He announced plans to visit Central African Republic and Uganda late this year and a trip to Ecuador, Bolivia and Paraguay during the year.

Francis spoke at length about birth control and population, issues that arose in the Philippines, where the local Church opposes a government law making contraceptives easily available.

"Some think, excuse me if I use the word, that in order to be good Catholics, we have to be like rabbits - but no," he said, adding the Church promoted "responsible parenthood".

He mentioned a woman he recently met who already had seven children by caesarean sections and put her life at risk by becoming pregnant again. He said he chided her for "tempting God" and added: "That was an irresponsibility."

The leader of the 1.2-billion-strong Roman Catholic Church restated its ban on artificial birth control, adding there were "many ways that are allowed" to practise natural family planning.

The Church approves only natural methods of birth control, principally abstinence from sex during a woman's fertile period.

In Sri Lanka and the Philippines, Francis condemned what he called an "ideological colonisation" attacking traditional family values in developing countries.

On the plane, he indirectly criticised rich countries and international organisations he said tried to influence lifestyles and morals of young people in poorer nations, comparing their activity to that of 20th century Nazi and Fascist propagandists.

He told of an education minister he once knew who was offered loans to build schools for the poor, but on condition their libraries stocked a book on gender theory, the questioning of traditional male and female roles. He gave no other details.

"This is ideological colonisation. They colonise people with ideas that try to change mentalities or structures," he said.

"But this is not new. This was done by the dictatorships of the last century," he said, citing the Hitler Youth and Balilla, its Italian equivalent under Fascist dictator Benito Mussolini.

(Writing by Steve Scherer; Editing by Tom Heneghan)

He said that the acceptance of gay marriage was "a move from the devil" when the equal marriage law in Argentina was approved in 2010

Romans 2:11

For God shows no partiality.

Luke 6:37 ESV /

“Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven;

So Pope Francis is going against the Bible there?

Romans 2:11

For God shows no partiality.

Luke 6:37 ESV /

“Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven;

So Pope Francis is going against the Bible there?

although it pains me to admit it, there is also a Bible verse that is quite clear against homosexuality...

again, pushing for church acceptance about gay marriage is a waste of energy...

gay marriage is being accepted by state laws and governments anyway...

although it pains me to admit it, there is also a Bible verse that is quite clear against homosexuality...

again, pushing for church acceptance about gay marriage is a waste of energy...

gay marriage is being accepted by state laws and governments anyway...

That's still highly debated amongst "theologians" and scholars and pastors/priests. The "clobber passages" in regards to (possible) homosexuality/homosexual "behavior" have had an immense amount of research into them about the many possibilities of what they may or may not be actually saying. The jury is still out on that.

I agree with the Pope.... Let us just respect each other's belief system... There can be freedom of expression verbally, but there can be also freedom of expression by action... If you attack other people's religions, all of us being human, you're going to expect a response one way of another... But that doesn't mean that he agree on the retaliations in France...

No. People deserve respect...beliefs/ideas/ideologies do not inherently deserve respect. They only deserve respect based on their merit in logic, reason, facts, and evidence. If not, and particularly if they're blatantly illogical, willfully ignorant, and dehumanizing, then no, they don't deserve respect. If we had simply 'respected belief systems just for the sake of doing so', the world would have never progressed. The only thing that does deserve respect is respecting peoples' right to say/do/believe whatever they like (within the confines of the law). But the speech/action/belief doesn't necessarily deserve any inherent respect in and of itself. Within the confines of the law, others get to use their freedom of speech/expression/thought to call it out, and yes, ridicule it through comedy/satire/artistic expression. Satire and irony have been at the forefront of social change and artistic expression...calling out the ignorant, oppressive, and downright silly. Once you start saying, "oh no, you can't exactly go there...there are/should be limits on free speech and expression," then that's a slippery slope to something dangerous. If your beliefs are so fragile that criticism, facts, and yes, even satire, are such a threat that you need to enact violence or threats to silence it, the satire/criticism is not the problem...your beliefs are.

People have every right to say/do/believe whatever they want (within the law). But the moment you use your 'beliefs' to strip or control my rights, destroy the separation between church and state, and use illogical superstition to lessen the totality of my intrinsic humanity...then your beliefs have forfeited any right to my respect.

great post

(btw, i confirm the article of the thread was a made up story, errhm, a translating error..)

British prime minister rebuts Pope Francis: In a free society, we have a right to insult religion

itish Prime Minister David Cameron defended the right to speech that gives offense to others’ religious beliefs, in a rebuttal to Pope Francis who said there should be limits.

In an interview that aired Sunday on CBS’s Face the Nation, Cameron said the West must show that its values, like free speech, are stronger than those of Islamist extremists pursuing a “poisonous death cult narrative.”

“I think in a free society, there is a right to cause offense about someone’s religion. I’m a Christian. If someone says something offensive about Jesus, I might find that offensive but in a free society I don’t have a right to wreak my vengeance upon them,” Cameron said.

“We have to accept that newspapers, magazines can publish things that are offensive to some as long as it’s within the law,” he said.

Cameron, who was interviewed after his meeting here Friday with US President Barack Obama, was responding to the pope’s comments suggesting that religion should be off limits.

“There are limits,” the pope said in Manila Thursday, weighing in on a debate set off in the wake of a deadly attack on French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo over caricatures of the Prophet Mohammed that have angered many in the Muslim world.

Twelve people, including some of France’s best known cartoonists, were killed January 7 by two gunmen who stormed its office. In all, 17 people were killed in three days of related attacks in Paris.

“You cannot provoke, you cannot insult other people’s faith, you cannot mock it,” the pontiff said.

“Freedom of speech is a right and a duty that must be displayed without offending.”

Charlie Hebdo’s new editor in chief, meanwhile, defended the caricatures in an interview with NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

“Every time we draw a cartoon of Mohammed, every time we draw a cartoon of prophets, every time we draw a cartoon of God, we defend the freedom of religion,” the editor Gerard Biard.

“Yes, it’s also the freedom of speech, but it’s the freedom of religion. Religion should not be a political argument.”

“If God becomes entangled in politics, then democracy is in danger,” Biard added.

^ freedom of speech when you are not using Whatsapp, they mean. :lmao::lmao: what a bunch of hypocrites. Just jumping when they know that they will be clapped.

Most of rulers who were in that demonstration in Paris are so hypocrital. Spanish prime minister, for example.