How did American Pie become a big worldwide hit during 2000?

xtaticboy82

I didn't know this was a worldwide hit until like 2 years ago when I was on its wiki page. It even went number 1 here in Australia and i don't remember EVER hearing it on the radio or seeing the video on tv. I was only 8 at the time but I vividly remember you'll see, frozen, Ray of light, nothing really matters, beautiful stranger, music and don't tell me. Strange I never heard this.

I also wondered why it was such a big hit worldwide. Now reading this thread it kind of makes sense if people didn't know of the original song.

Because she took a little obscure 70s song and being the fab Madonna she just had to make it a hit

I love the original by the way but Madonna's version is killer

I've always loved Rupert's vocals on it :wow:

And shall we talk about the video? :wow:

:inlove:

It was a number 1 hit in Australia. I love her version and also it is so different to the original which was refreshing. She did not just remake a carbon copy of the song. . Beautiful vocals and a dreamy quality to it. Love it.

I was a lonely teenage broncin' buck

With a pink carnation and a pick-up truck

But I knew that I was out of luck

The day the music died

I started singing

Well now, in the streets the children screamed

The lovers cried, and the poets dreamed

But not a word was spoken

Tho church bells all were broken

And the three men I admire the most

The Father, Son and the Holy Ghost

They caught the last train for the coast

The day the music died

:dramatic::inlove:

It was a number 1 hit in Australia. I love her version and also it is so different to the original which was refreshing. She did not just remake a carbon copy of the song . . . Beautiful vocals and a dreamy quality to it. Love it.

This !

Just curious 'coz it only went at number 28 on BIllboard Hot 100. I know it was a UK number 1, but in Mediatraffic it was # 4 on 2000 year-end charts with the Glorious Music #1 song for that year!

http://www.mediatraffic.de/countdown2000.htm

IKR !

But hardly surprising to be honest. All we have to do is to look at the quality of most of the stuff clogging the Billboard charts for the past 10-15 years and how it fared on North American charts vs stats in other major markets. The American charting/radio/corporate system is renowned for being a very controlled, aseptic environment that doesn't follow global trends in general. Look at this absolute travesty of VEVO/youtube clocks counting as sales. Embarassing.

Plus most huge US acts that enjoy good stats on the BB charts in 5 to 10 and 15-year time spans do not enjoy the same level of interest and following in most other international markets.

Add to that the fact that Madonna was 41 by then and frankly after ROL American radio would have increasedly played her less and less in the following years, hence why we saw all those Britney, Timberlake "duets" in the 00s. It was for the US basically because in Europe, Asia, Oceania she never had any problems. She's always been a bigger star than Timberlake and Spears overseas anyway .... even when they were at their peak.

i remember becoming a fan around that period and randomly going to mtv UK watching a hitlist and thought "of course madonna will be #1" (without even knowing much about her yet) and she was #1 with American Pie. :lmao: it seemed so easy for her. every song she released then automatically got to #1 lol

It became a hit because I believe the world doesn't know the original exist. I'm from Argentina – the first time I ever heard this song was her version. Remember also it was a different time (I know, just 15 years ago...). So it wasn't as easy to just google the song and learn everything about it. I'm pretty sure I didn't even find out this was a cover until some time later.

The melody is catchy as hell (duh), the production is pleasant... It was also a time when Madonna had a string of smashes, particularly globally.

Pretty much everyone in the UK knew it was a cover, everyone at my school at the time knew the original. I remember the excitement when this was released! Loved the video! It was on the radio and music channels all the time!

It was a smash in Italy as well. I loved it and still do. Love the video as well. It's actually the first Madonna single i've bought :inlove:
I remember listening to it on my cd player over and over when I went on school trips.

It was a smash in Italy as well. I loved it and still do. Love the video as well. It's actually the first Madonna single i've bought :inlove:

I remember listening to it on my cd player over and over when I went on school trips.

:thumbsup::inlove:

It left everyone gasping again after ROL and BS. And then BANG six months later she gives the world yet another masterpiece and a global hit, different once again. 1998-2001 was a magical period for a Madonna fan. ROL, BS, American Pie, the Music album and her first tour in 8 years with the best vocals ever. Wonderful times indeed, critically, commercially and just in terms of sheer fun for the fans :dramatic:

I remember becoming a fan around that period and randomly going to mtv UK watching a hitlist and thought "of course madonna will be #1" (without even knowing much about her yet) and she was #1 with American Pie. :lmao: it seemed so easy for her. every song she released then automatically got to #1 lol

:dramatic:

Those were the times when MTV still stood for Music Television, it feels like a century ago. I don't know why they felt the need to destroy it from 2000 onwards to make room for the Osbournes of the world, 16 and preggers and so on

Because it is an awsome song, amazing to sing along, great to dance to, she was gorgeous on the video, and everything was amazing about her. It should have been on Drowned World instead of funny song. An acoustic version would've been amazing then.

Coming off of Ray of Light, she was huge globally.

APie reached top 20 at U.S. top 40 radio. Fred Bronson wrote about it not being commercially released in the USA, and how was it was No. 1 in the UK, in his Chart Beat column.

I don't know if it would have been a No. 1 contender (with a No. 23 Hot 100 Airplay peak), but definite top 10, and probably top 5.

they werent commerical single because the record label wanted to sell the album the singles were featured. the label needed to sell the albums they were on (TNBT soundtrack & Austin Powers).

The song was always playing on the radio over here. It's a great song actually and wayyyyy better than the original. It's also the 11th song on the international version of Music.

her vocals are AMAZING on this song!

Agreed! This and the fact that the world in general heard the song for the first time through her version is what made it a hit.

She made this song her own. That's why.

She reclassified a song considered a classic and people (especially in Europe) associate her with the song. The original is beautiful and iconic but she turned this iconic folk song into a dreamy uptempo song and it suited her perfectly. It was the perfect transition from ROL to Music along with BS.

I remember being a kid (born in 1995) watching MTV all the time and living through the hype that surrounded her in the late 90's. I got to know her as an iconic and it was never any other way. American Pie is one if the songs that reminds me of my childhood and therfore I have a soft spot for it. Nowadays I do think that Time Stood Still is the stronger song and deserved a single release but I doubt it would've charted as well.

how can anybody don't like the song? Maybe in USA the original is a sacred one, but in the rest of the world it was incredibly catchy, refreshing and she sings so beautifully. I recall Rupert Everett saying that the lyrics were as if they were talking about Madonna and if you listen to the song and imagine that it's about Madonna then you will have to love the song!