How did American Pie become a big worldwide hit during 2000?

xtaticboy82

her vocals are AMAZING on this song!

YES. Her vocals for Music were the best she's ever recorded or sounded IMO (run a close second by I'm Breathless), but she sounds particularly lovely on this track. The production is too wishy washy for my liking though. Orbit did Pure Shores at the same time as this, which sounded a million light years better production wise. It needed more oomph. The drums were pathetic in it.

No one mentioned in the original thread that Madonna was pregnant with Rocco in the video :) I think it's quite cool for Lola and Rocco that Madonna filmed two videos during both of her pregnancies (LDLHA, YMLM, AP and "Music").

I love it but havent listened to it in years. As said before it was HUGE in the UK. I couldnt understand how, cheap vid, no promo.

Its similar to Ill remember. (OK not one of my faves) but that was huge with a cheap vid too. Its incredible though that looking at those pics above, she looks just the same or even better now! :)

the song is bautiful, she sounded really sweet, the lyrics suit her...I can understand that for people that love the real song, and know all

the lyrics, maybe it wasn´t her best move, but for me...one of her best pop moments of the millenium. And the cheap video showed that

you don´t need a huge amount of money to make an interesting video. All the people around me loved the song, and the video back

then

It was a hot vocal performance from Madonna and the track was super popular as well as the video. That said, here's yet another example of a big madonna single mistake.

It was not commercially released in the US so me and every other queen in 99/2000 had to go to the import section at virgin or some other record store to buy the import single.

powers that be pulled a business move with these singles. they weren't released b/c they wanted to push album sales. they were promo singles for the albums. sad.

A few months ago I had my ipod on shuffle and American Pie started playing. A friend (she's 24, so when the song came out, she must've been around 9) said to me that she remembers this song being huge and that she thinks that it's one of Madonna's signature songs. I thought it was interesting, because yeah, us fans tend to under appreciate this amazing song. We had a little chat and I asked her if she thinks that AP is on the same level as Like A Prayer or Vogue, and she actually said that she thinks it's even bigger (bless her).

I never feel the urge to listen to it, but when it comes on shuffle or whatever, oh god!!!!! it's so cheerful and happy and such a great production! It beautiful and I love it and I'm gonna play it right now!

we started singing!

A few months ago I had my ipod on shuffle and American Pie started playing. A friend (she's 24, so when the song came out, she must've been around 9) said to me that she remembers this song being huge and that she thinks that it's one of Madonna's signature songs. I thought it was interesting, because yeah, us fans tend to under appreciate this amazing song. We had a little chat and I asked her if she thinks that AP is on the same level as Like A Prayer or Vogue, and she actually said that she thinks it's even bigger (bless her).

I never feel the urge to listen to it, but when it comes on shuffle or whatever, oh god!!!!! it's so cheerful and happy and such a great production! It beautiful and I love it and I'm gonna play it right now!

we started singing!

IT'S A GREAT SONG AND RENDITION EXACTLY BECAUSE I FEEL ALMOST THE CONTRARY....SOME TONE OF MELANCHOLY.....

we started singing!

I know what you mean. I'm married to a 25 year old whose first Madonna memories are about Beautiful Stranger and American Pie being played all the time, although didn't properly "got" who Madonna was until Confessions.

American Pie was a huge number 1 hit in Australia. I have always loved her version as was so different from the original and her vocals were gorgeous. Funnily enough, my brother loves this and when we are in the car and it comes on the IPod shuffle, he always talks about how much her loves her version of it and what a great singer she is. He is a casual fan - likes Madonna a lot but not a loon like me. :laugh: I feel that hard-core Madonna fans dislike it more than other fans.

Thats nice that he likes M. Most siblings of loons become very anti M. My brother only liked Frozen. And later on the First Album. By the time it was a cult classic album.

Thats nice that he likes M. Most siblings of loons become very anti M. My brother only liked Frozen. And later on the First Album. By the time it was a cult classic album.

I have been so lucky with my family as have read a lot on this forum that most fans have family that don't like her. . My Mum adored Madonna, my Dad liked her and my brother likes her and has several of her cd's. Even my exes liked her. My cousin and her husband are big fans and are planning on spending big money for her concert - going with both my brother and I when she tours next year. My brother's ringtones for my calls on his work mobile and private mobile are Ray of Light and Material Girl. :laugh:

i was visiting my friend at rehab for alcohol and they played american pie :p i think that was in february or march, i think around the brits.

it sounds good on radio. its a good song really

IT'S A GREAT SONG AND RENDITION EXACTLY BECAUSE I FEEL ALMOST THE CONTRARY....SOME TONE OF MELANCHOLY.....

yes!!!! it could have been a Heart song on the last album...I remember that it was vbery similar to an AP cover from the 90s, but I had the feeling that it was better, better sang, better produced...I never compaired it with the original, but with the eurotrashy version from the 90s, and madonna won by far...

The Ray of Light album, Beautiful Stranger and American Pie opened the gates to a new generation of fans. Teens who grew up during the 90s and mid 2000s love it. I think the ones who loathe the cover are the oldies (but goodies :rosey: )

It's a classic song, and Madonna's version was shorter than the original so could get more airplay. It wasn't too dissimilar from the original but had a fresh production. The video was also the everyman and simply yet effective.

The original song is about Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper and Ritchie Valens. 'This'll be the day that I die' in reference to Buddy's song 'That'll be the day'.

The first verse on the original song explains it. I wonder why Madonna didn't record that first verse? Maybe she didn't feel it, she was born in 1958 when Buddy died, maybe she didn't want to attach emotion to the words that were Don McLeans, because they were his emotions. He was a paper boy and saw that Buddy had died in plane crash, I suppose Madonna couldn't sing that part.

But February made me shiver. With every paper I'd deliver. Bad news on the doorstep; I couldn't take one more step.

Guest bluejean

I grew up with the original so it was hard for me even though I was a young teen to appreciate her choice to cover this song. It's kind of like someone trying to redo Bohemian Rhapsody or some other mega classic. Her version was super cheesy too and yes I admit I occasionally play it but I file it with Me Against The Music as kind of pointless and forgettable.

And yes, a lot of people slagged her off for this and it was fortunate that she followed it with Music which was outstandiing. Everyone loved that song and quickly forgot the karaoke version of American Pie.

I'm biased so I kind of like the song but I understand the distaste for it. I love her vocals in the song - it's pure and restrained in a good way. The production, well, that's another story. Didn't William Orbit diss his work on the song?

I didn't become a M fan until 2006 but I definitely remember hearing AP all the time growing up. As others have said, it was huge in Australia. Even though the vid wasn't amazing and didn't have a successful film to promote it, the world was high on Madonna after the success of ROL and Beautiful Stranger. She was in that period where everything she released effortlessly became a hit.

I'm biased so I kind of like the song but I understand the distaste for it. I love her vocals in the song - it's pure and restrained in a good way. The production, well, that's another story. Didn't William Orbit diss his work on the song?

I didn't become a M fan until 2006 but I definitely remember hearing AP all the time growing up. As others have said, it was huge in Australia. Even though the vid wasn't amazing and didn't have a successful film to promote it, the world was high on Madonna after the success of ROL and Beautiful Stranger. She was in that period where everything she released effortlessly became a hit.

True, but it was the first time she'd had a #1 single in Australia for almost exactly 10 years (since "Vogue"), so it struck a chord with more than just her core Australian fan base (her highest peaking singles between "Vogue" and "American Pie" were JML and "Erotica", which peaked at #4). She went on to have another four #1 singles after this in the 00s, but AL broke a very long drought.

Guest bluejean

4 number ones? Wow. Id kind of forgotten that and I had to stop and recall what they were. It's hard to believe her songs barely chart now.

Music

Me Against The Music

Hung Up

4 Minutes

Guest bluejean

It always surprised me that Ray of Light didn't go to #1 in Australia. Infact, it didn't go to #1 anywhere. It has classic written all over it. I mean it IS a classic.