How did American Pie become a big worldwide hit during 2000?

xtaticboy82

It was one of her biggest global hits that shockingly flopped in the US. I guess the original was such a cult classic for many Americans and radio stations there opted not to play it due to low callout rating..

Um no. It got get very good airplay and she'd kill to easily get top 20 airplay like that today. It charted on the Hot 100 on airplay alone back when a bunch of songs on radio still had CD singles released in a healthy sales market. So it not having chart points from a CD single put it at a big disadvantage on the Hot 100. If a commercial CD single was released back then it easily would've went top 5 on the Hot 100. It's a similar situation with Beautiful Stranger too. That would've went top 3, probably number 1 on the Hot 100 if they released a commercial CD single. I remember reading back then that the import sold like 50K but Billboard doesn't add chart points from import sales.

how can anybody don't like the song? Maybe in USA the original is a sacred one, but in the rest of the world it was incredibly catchy, refreshing and she sings so beautifully. I recall Rupert Everett saying that the lyrics were as if they were talking about Madonna and if you listen to the song and imagine that it's about Madonna then you will have to love the song!

this!

and again, her voice sounds wonderfull, very sweet! and the production is very commercial, very "let´s have a hit on the radios"

the song isn't that great in general but her rendition is great!!! i really love her voice her interpretation...way better this version than the boring original...

and it was a smash everywhere because it was following one of her gold eras....she was untouchable!!!

how can anybody don't like the song? Maybe in USA the original is a sacred one, but in the rest of the world it was incredibly catchy, refreshing and she sings so beautifully. I recall Rupert Everett saying that the lyrics were as if they were talking about Madonna and if you listen to the song and imagine that it's about Madonna then you will have to love the song!

American Pie is a drinking song/bar/karaoke staple in America. Together with Piano Man, Sweet Caroline and Margaritaville, it is untouchable in the eyes of many generations here (especially straight men). DJs in America (as in people that work on radio stations not the Aviici kind) were pretty unwelcoming of the song. I was in college at the time and all the guys I knew loathed that cover. I liked it. Don't love it but it's nice.

That's why I surprised it was such a big hit, because I remember there being a lot of negativity surrounding her covering the song.

This. I remember hearing it on radio back in the day and it even being s conversation piece with the kids in the neighborhood. But when I started reading chart stats on the net, I was amazed it did so well outside of the U.S.

Why weren't AP and BS commercial singles in the US?

Because she wanted more soundtrack album sales.

She had done it for BS. W/O a single release, Austin Powers 2 soundtrack made it to #5, 1 million copies sold.

Later, she repeated the same trick for AP. Unfortunately, the TNBT movie was no box office movie like Austin Powers 2. It peaked at #34, sold 155k to date (according to 2000 Billboard article report).

I recall there's article about BS was a contender for #1 in the US due to its high airplay if there's a commercial single.

Guest Pud Whacker

American Pie was huge in the United States. it was played every hour on the radio. back in those days, the IMPORT single was number one at virgin megastore.

the thing was madonna was struggling to keep maverick afloat and she was making fans buy the entire cd, so it would shift X amount of copies.

she did the same thing with Beautiful Stranger. that, like American Pie, had it been properly released on a single, would have ended up top 5.

all its success was on radio play alone.

Guest Pud Whacker

Why weren't AP and BS commercial singles in the US?

she was trying to shift more cd's from maverick and her star power was the only thing that could do it.

:confused: And I fell for it and bought BOTH soundtrack albums.

But it meant you got the lovely Time Stood Still.

:angel:

I can't believe how shit Germany is. She only had one number 1 before the year 2000? How is that possible? Is this her worst market?

a country that idolized david hasselhoff, doesnt like madonna. Shoker

a country that idolized david hasselhoff, doesnt like madonna. Shoker

Um no. She's huge in Germany as she is in many European countries where she doesn't have many #1's

Bitch sells albums.

& seriously Germans do not idolize David Hasselhoff...that is so tired.