How did American Pie become a big worldwide hit during 2000?

xtaticboy82

It became her first Australian #1 single since "Vogue/Keep It Together". It was MASSIVE worldwide, although "Music" made it look like an "also ran" just a few months later. It would easily have been a Top 10 hit in the US if it had been released as a physical single over there (rather than just an airplay single).

Great question...NO idea how or why it was so huge internationally lol. Its absolutely one of her most random and forgotten w.w. #1s when she had WAY, way better more quality, iconic songs that didn't do as well :# Def one of her few songs (forget major hits w.w.) that I never think about or listen to! lol. I think it was all timing and at another major M zenith/ peak (post ROL and pre Music).

because rupert everett sang backing vocals on it. he said he was the one who 'convinced' her to record it because he knew it would be a worldwide smash.

Madonna was riddding on rupert's coattails.

NOT

It became a hit because I believe the world doesn't know the original exist. I'm from Argentina – the first time I ever heard this song was her version. Remember also it was a different time (I know, just 15 years ago...). So it wasn't as easy to just google the song and learn everything about it. I'm pretty sure I didn't even find out this was a cover until some time later.

The melody is catchy as hell (duh), the production is pleasant... It was also a time when Madonna had a string of smashes, particularly globally.

BS,cuidado con my corazon and american pie should have been top ten songs in the US.her voice in AP sounds really sweet and beautiful,and somebody has said,I also didn't know tge original so I don't miss any verse.I only knew one crappy version that wasa hit in spain during the 90s,and madonna's was way better

Madonna's version was the best that song could ever be.

Shame for the lost of opportunities to songs like BS that did not get a single release (only Promo) in US. It would have been a top 5 for sure.

It became a hit because I believe the world doesn't know the original exist. I'm from Argentina the first time I ever heard this song was her version. Remember also it was a different time (I know, just 15 years ago...). So it wasn't as easy to just google the song and learn everything about it. I'm pretty sure I didn't even find out this was a cover until some time later.

The melody is catchy as hell (duh), the production is pleasant... It was also a time when Madonna had a string of smashes, particularly globally.

Exactly. The majority of people thought it was a new Madonna's song and never heard of the original

It was one of her biggest global hits that shockingly flopped in the US. I guess the original was such a cult classic for many Americans and radio stations there opted not to play it due to low callout rating..