Each Time You Break My Heart Appreciation Thread

tasteinmen

Sooooo, I've been a fan of Madonna for a while now but I've never bothered to check out her unreleased leaked demos and b-sides (except Supernatural because that is an absolute tune, deserves a thread of it's own).

But due to recent events I couldn't help wonder if Madonna had some amazing tunes that never made it onto her amazing back catalogue of albums.

There's not much from the 80s that's available, but when I stumbled upon Each Time You Break My Heart, I instantly recognised the song from an 80s compilation I bought last year.

After some research it turns out this song was supposedly for Madonna's True Blue album, but was scrapped and given to Nick Karem.

My first thoughts were... "This song really suits Madonna, it sounds better with her vocals, and the production completely matches that of LAV, True Blue and WTG era, why couldn't True Blue be 10 tracks long?? Why was it scrapped??? It's a sin!!! I love it and I want a cleaner version of it rather than the muddy tape rip version on youtube!

What are everyone's thoughts on this lost gem?

Lyrics:

Each time you break my heart

I know how it feels to be the talk of the town
I'm not gonna let you go and run around
I need to know that you'll be true to me
'Cause that's the way it's got to be

Why can't you give your promise to me
Is love so blind that you cannot see
I'm trying hard not to walk out the door
Know that I, oh, know that I can't take no more

Chorus:

I try to put my pride aside
A little voice inside me cries

No matter what you do or say
I'm gonna love you, I'm gonna love you anyway
And if you're so sure that I'm not your kind
How come you can't just walk away

In the beginning we were nothing but glad
Those were the best days that we ever had
There's no compassion, all your warmth is gone
Tell me how, oh, how can I keep holding on

(chorus)

Intermediate:

I see the look in your eyes
I know you're hurting inside
Let me try
To make you love me again
I'll say that I knew you when
You were mine
You were mine

Each time, oh, yeah

In the beginning we were nothing but glad
Those were the best days that we ever had
There's no compassion, all your warmth is gone
Tell me how, oh, how can I keep holding on

(intermediate)

(chorus)

Each time you break my heart again
Well I can say I knew you when [each time]
You were mine

Break my heart
Don't break my heart
(repeat and fade)

Oh I have always loved Madonna's version of this song, especially her vocals during the chorus. Classic 80s gem and deserved a spot on one of her albums.

Madonna sings backing vocals on Kamen's version though (barely noticeable).

Oh I have always loved Madonna's version of this song, especially her vocals during the chorus. Classic 80s gem and deserved a spot on one of her albums.

Madonna sings backing vocals on Kamen's version though (barely noticeable).

ooo going to see if I can hear her!

I bought it on single back in the day & love her backing vocals, especially the "Break My Heart, Don't Break My Heart" part, which she later used on 'Waiting' from Erotica.

Love this song!

Other Madonna-related tidbits about this track - Felix Howard (boy from OYH) is in the video - and none other than Shep Pettibone did the remixes.

Lots of stories in the UK tabloids at the time that there was something going on with Madonna and Nick - although we never really saw them together again after 1986 in photos that I can remember.

They were still in contact the following year for sure though - cos Nick is mentioned in a Madonna interview as being present at a WTG tour rehearsal in LA in Spring 1987.

And then Madonna does backing vocals on Nick's 1988 track "Tell Me" (she was in the same studios at the time working on LAP when she got involved with that apparently).

Love this song!!! Wasn't she bonking Kamen at the time so maybe that's why she cut off the song off TB - to give him a present? Because sure as hell that song is good and deserves to be on a Madonna album!

I just compared it to Nick Kamens version and Madonna's version has so much more emotion in it! The "I see the look in your eyes" section is completely wasted! Sounds so weak from Nick, it's examples like this that show Madonna knows exactly what she's doing and is ultra talented!

First of all, they could have made the album 10 tracks?

Jimmy Jimmy sort of sticks to the 50s pop style of True Blue?

Maybe because the word heart was already present in Open Your Heart?

Maybe she didn't want to be perceived as weak by singing about someone who keeps breaking her heart?

Either way I wish it was on the album

Maybe if she recorded it during LAP it would of made it? As that album is a very big representation of the events in her life? :'( Till Death Do Us Part springs to mind :/

I think ETYBMH and Spotlight were both contenders for YCD. Spotlight is the bouncier of the two so I guess it was picked over etybmh. Maybe she was concerned about over saturation so gave ETYBMH to Nick instead. It raised her cred in the press as well - writing for another artist.