Describe Your First Listens

Shane

I would like to know people's experiences the first time they play a new Madonna album. Everyone's will be different, and I imagine they have changed as we moved into a digital era where you can listen at midnight of new release day.

I can recall my first listen to each album back to LAP. The first time is always magical, like I enter a state of trance. As the songs rush by, I take note of certain melodies, lyrics, or vocals that I feel are "all time best" moments. By the end of my first listen, I am usually in awe, sometimes trembling :lmao: there will be songs that I have noted as instant favorites. There are usually a couple of songs that seem like exactly what I was hoping she would give me at this point in my life.

I usually don't listen again for 24 hours. In fact I will usually give a day between listens for the first week, but I listen DAILY. Then I start playing it more and more for the first month, because nothing by anyone else seems as good.

Typically, after about 5 weeks I take a rest for a few weeks. When I return to it, I see which tracks have held up and these usually become my favorites. I also like the excitement when you play the cd in your car or on your stereo for the first time (my first listen is usually headphones), because it adds a whole new dimension.

I ll never forget the first time i listened to Hard Candy 30 seconds previews on a german music website.

It was the first madonna album I followed each news and production , i was in ecstasy and so happy When i first heard Give it 2 me.

After that I remember going to school listening to that 4 minutes radio recording and a japanese interview that has miles away on the background

Good times

I don't really have any "first listen" experiences/rituals and how I meet a new album has changed from pre-Internet to Internet days. Pre-Internet I took in the album cover visually and listened to the album once, and not usually all the way through (flop fan I know) but that's bc I'm a remix person. When the remixes came out is when I really went into Madonna mode. Hitting record stores, hunting for any cool extra or special promos and calling DJs for possible rare stuff. Confessions is the only studio record I listen to start to finish; it's pretty similar to the remixes.

Sometime after 2000 I started paying much more attention to the actual albums (Probably bc of ROL). I spend the evening at the computer playing the songs while exploring the CD cover and inserts (I always get the physical copy!). Instead of hunting record stores, I scour the Internet for remixes.

Both ways are fun. I do miss the instant all-in-your-face Madonna of the old days, when I didn't get new info ahead of time but overall I prefer today, where I know absolutely everything that's out there and actually am able to get it. Eras of the past (esp LAP days) were SO FRUSTRATING bc I didn't have cable and had to wait (beg friends and family to tape stuff) to see her videos. I didn't see the uncensored version of Erotica until Youtube.

One thing that's remained consistent is that once I get the new remixes I listen to them over and over and over in my car for the next 3-4 years or so until M's new record. I'd say 90% of the time I'm listening to Madonna in my car. I never get sick of her.

Love this so much :)

Yep I can whip out Lucky Star or Express Yourself Stop & Go Dubs just as easily as BIM or a Gang Bang remix. It's just all Madonna; nothing truly sounds dated. It's really quite amazing what she's been able to accomplish.

I actually heard the single Music for the first time driving with a friend. They didn't announce it was Madonna and we were both talking and the windows were rolled down on a warm night and then we started getting into it — or rather it sucked us in.

"WTF is this song? Who is it?"

Neither of us could figure it out at first and then I finally recognized her voice.

"Shit, it's Madonna!"

Such a fun memory.

I always listen to any of new M albums in full after after I purchased it. I rarely listen to the songs prior to the purchase. I remember listening to ROL starting with DW and being blown away by the music and her amazing change in voice. Did not expect such a drastic reinvention during ROL. After I purchased the Music album, I fell in love with M guitar playing being played aside the cool electronic beats. The cowboy girl character also fit in perfectly with the theme of the album and tour.

I have to admit the only time I was genuinely disappointed with buying M albums was with Hard Candy. I wind up listening to it a million times since then, but the album as a whole took a long time for me to accept.

I remember it like it was yesterday. Halloween 1983. I was, as usual, talking to my best friend on the phone. We listened to KCBN all the time. We were always waiting for Duran Duran to be played. But that night, my life changed....

We would call and request Duran Duran all night long. The deejay decided to introduce a new artist, "This is Madonna, with 'Holiday'". We stopped talking and just listened. We freaked out! From that day forward we constantly requested "that song from that girl named Madonna".

Then, I got the Madonna album that December. Me and two other girls (mind you, we were 12 & 13 at the time) stayed up until 5am playing her debut album over and over and over and over....

We never got tired of it. The rest is history.

I've tried to stay old school since then. I've been anticipating 14 studio albums for the last 30 years. Each era is magical. Times are changing, but I want still want that wonderful surprise. Which is why I've only listened to five of the leaked demos. And even then, I've stopped listening to them.

Each album has been treated like gold for me. I give a good couple listens when I get the record home. Then I wait and give myself a rest for a day...trying to hang onto the anticipation. After that, Madonna has hooked me. Like she always does....

It's why I live.

I love her.

I have a few brief memories:

-Bought Madonna on cassette with my pocket money while travelling around Australia with my family. We listened to it non stop & dad liked it.

-We bought our first proper stereo with a CD player & I got to choose a cd. Material Girl was just released, so I chose Like A Virgin & couldn't believe how amazing it sounded coming through those big speakers.

-The obsession continued & I bought True Blue on vinyl. It was the blue vinyl. I invited my best mate over to listen to it & we were in awe!

Of course I later bought it on cd.

-My sister came home from the street & said have got that Madonna cd with the red cover. I was like WTF, and was firing questions at her about what was on it. She had no idea. So I walked very fast down the street to the local record store, it takes half an hour, but I wanted it whatever it was.....it was You Can Dance. I was so excited to have a proper remix of Into The Groove.

-Back in my day, before a Madonna album was released, it usually got a complete review in the newspaper the week before it was released. I always asked my local record store of the release date. Finishing school and rushing down the street to buy Like A Prayer only to be told that the release date was pushed back (that's happened with a few of her releases in the earlier days).I was crushed.

Needless to say when it was released, I rushed down the street after school, bought it, & rushed home again & lapped it up.

I have to say I'm also lucky that I grew up with Madonna from the beginning. You wouldn't hear anything from a new album, unless there was a single release first, so to play a whole new album completely fresh was amaaaaazing.

My were feelings were always anxiety driven with excitement. I wouldn't breathe properly.

Good times!

I remember it like it was yesterday. Halloween 1983. I was, as usual, talking to my best friend on the phone. We listened to KCBN all the time. We were always waiting for Duran Duran to be played. But that night, my life changed....

We would call and request Duran Duran all night long. The deejay decided to introduce a new artist, "This is Madonna, with 'Holiday'". We stopped talking and just listened. We freaked out! From that day forward we constantly requested "that song from that girl named Madonna".

Then, I got the Madonna album that December. Me and two other girls (mind you, we were 12 & 13 at the time) stayed up until 5am playing her debut album over and over and over and over....

I've tried to stay old school since then. I've been anticipating 14 studio albums for the last 30 years. Each era is magical. Times are changing, but I want still want that wonderful surprise. Which is why I've only listened to five of the leaked demos. And even then, I've stopped listening to them.

Each album has been treated like gold for me. I give a good couple listens when I get the record home. Then I wait and give myself a rest for a day...trying to hang onto the anticipation. After that, Madonna has hooked me. Like she always does....

It's why I live.

I love her.

It's always cool to see an actual original Madonna fan, right from the beginning. So glad you're a part of this forum, though I'm a bit jealous :)

...-My sister came home from the street & said have got that Madonna cd with the red cover. I was like WTF, and was firing questions at her about what was on it. She had no idea. So I walked very fast down the street to the local record store, it takes half an hour, but I wanted it whatever it was.....it was You Can Dance....

I remember when YCD came out too. There was an advertisement on the radio and at the end the announcer said: Merry Christmas Madonna fans. It's funny the details we remember. Your story was great, "the red cover."

What a great topic, I seriously was just thinking about this the other day, listening to the new tracks.

Some albums just listening to the first song gives me chills, and makes me think, wow, this is going to be something great. This has happened to me three times, with Drowned World/ROL, Music/Music, and Get Together/Confessions. Strangely, these are the three albums I like nearly every song and can listen to all the way through.

American Life I put off even listening to the full album I disliked the single so much. Plus, I was put off by the controversy surrounding the video. I eventually ordered it, and then I was highly unimpressed, like, this is it? It definitely took a while to get it, but now it is another one I like all the way through. I even appreciate the title track now. I DO prefer the remixed/revisited versions to the album versions, though.

I hated 4 minutes so I was going to wait on Hard Candy again, but then I heard Beat Goes On and though, I have to have this!

Most of her albums typically I love about half the songs right away, and only like some of the rest. Erotica and Bedtime Stories were this way. With Erotica I have grown to appreciate the non- singles more, with BS, I still don't.

MDNA is odd for me. I liked some of the songs right away, but I never felt compelled to buy any of them or the album itself. I really hate her vocals on the majority of this album, if she would re-records some of them or something, I might change my mind. Then again, I hardly ever pay for music anymore. MNDA is my favorite tour of hers, though.

Rebel Heart probably will be another mixed bag for me. But I rarely like all the songs on any album, even from my favorite singers, so it's not a big deal.

I actually heard the single Music for the first time driving with a friend. They didn't announce it was Madonna and we were both talking and the windows were rolled down on a warm night and then we started getting into it — or rather it sucked us in.

"WTF is this song? Who is it?"

Neither of us could figure it out at first and then I finally recognized her voice.

"Shit, it's Madonna!"

Such a fun memory.

I might have had the same experience, hearing Music on the radio for the first time. Either way, I was blown away by song, it was such a surprise.

It's why I live.

I love her.

Wow beautiful story!! Thanks for sharing! So jealous of all the fans that have been by her side since the start :)

Hard Candy was released on my 20th birthday. :laugh: Unbeknownst to my friends, my 20th birthday party was in fact just a way to make them listen to the album. :stir:

Apart from "Candy Shop", "4 Minutes" and the early demo of "Beat Goes On", I hadn't heard anything until the album was released.

I can't really remember clearly because it has been so long ago, but I do remember first hearing Madonna (can't even remember which song) from a mix tape that my father had of 80's music and in my young mind thinking I want to hear more songs from her. I do remember though that my first ever Madonna cd was the Immaculate Collection which gave me the opportunity to catch up with all her 80's classic and start following her in the 90's while still exploring her earlier stuff by buying her stuff either on cd or casette.

I also remember being in 4th Grade when Secret first came out as a single and being in love with the song and thinking how beautiful she looked on the Bedtime Stories album cover when it came out.

Aside from first listen stories I also remember having a Madonna t-shirt back then and getting bullied for it, lol. It wasn't pink or anything like that, it was a solid grey but the fact that a boy was wearing a shirt with Madonna's face was a reason to bully right? :p

a few random memories:

I got Erotica on cassette for christmas when I was 11, and knew enough to know it was going to be "naughty" so my younger cousin and I sneaked away and listened to it on a player in my grandma's room and felt like we were being very rebellious listening to the opening track, just barely loud enough to hear!

My first maxi single was "Rain" which I got for "Up Down Suite," as it said "non album track" and I was shocked to hear an 11 minute dub, a totally new concept for me. After five minutes of WTF I came around and really liked it and listened to it repeatedly, which drove my family crazy. When my older sister thinks of Madonna she doesn't think of ROL or LAP or ITG, she thinks of "that fucking 45 minute Up Down song!"

When Music came out I lucked out and got it the Friday before it came out, simply because a store had left a box of upcoming releases opened by the counter. I grabbed it and was so excited. It was like an internet leak complete with CD, booklet and cowboy hat! On first listen "Impressive Instant" knocked me out. I couldn't get enough, it was so weird and fun. I hated "Paradise" because I thought it was weird and not fun, but now it's easily in my top ten.

The only real "ritual" I have for new albums is just making sure that I set aside the time to listen to it all the way through without distraction. I need my special M alone time!

NOTE: I'm a fan just before the HC Era.

Madonna - "Why are the tracks so long?" :lol:

Like a Virgin - "Where is Crazy For You and Into The Groove?" :catty:

True Blue - OMG! :drama: Epic! Jimmy Jimmy is evetything!

Like a Prayer - Feels orgasmic after LAP. Cries after TDDUP and PTT. Feeling happy after Cherish. WTF after Act of Contrition.

Erotica - The room felt so dark all of a sudden and who are these rappers? :lmao:

Bedtime Stories - Lush! I felt so sexy and virginal.

Ray of Light - Back when I was a teenager: Meh. Boring. I only liked the singles. Rediscovers the album decades later: OMG! This is so beautiful! Why did I fail to realise this before? :rotfl:

Music - Too short and Nobody's Perfect left my dizzy after the first listen. But I love it now.

American Life - Epic! Masterpiece! Underrated (after reading the album's history on Wiki before listening to it) This is all new to me! Didn't know music like this can be so good! Why does everyone hate AL and M&F though? :catty:

Confessions on a Dance Floor - Meh. I only liked HU and Sorry. After seeing the CT DVD, I changed my opinion and gained a new perspective on the album.

Hard Candy - Popping my booty on the floor! 11 out of 12 tracks were great (ignores Voices).

MDNA - Good. Great. Good. What? LOL. Meh. Good. Cries, love it. Weird.

After listening to the MDNA snippets I became obsessed with Love Spent

When the album came out I couldn't find the song

I was skipping and forwarding I thought I got the title of the song wrong only to find out that what I was so looking forward to hear was the second half of Love Spent

My other first listens:

80s:

M: *see above...

LAV: bought this record about a week after its release. Needed to save up my money. Brought it home and my brother wouldn't let me use his record player so I had to wait. I was dying. I immediately fell in love with Stay and Pretender. Shoo-Bee-Doo needed to grow on me. Loved the rest.

TB: My first Madonna album bought on CD format a couple days after release. I was amazed how it sounded so 'bubble gummy'. I thought how happy she must be. I fell in love with LIB first. LMTWGR was a grower.

LAP: Bought on day of release. First thing I noticed was the patchouli smell. I fell in love with every song. However, I remember Cherish being a grower for me. This album helped me get through my dad's death.

90s:

IB: Bought on day of release. My bf at the time hated Madonna and he kept making fun of me for buying I'm Breathless. Jerk! I listened on my trusty headphones and loved every song. When he wasn't around. Cry Baby never fully grew on me to this day, however.

E: Bought on day of release. This was a weird time to be a Madonna fan. It seemed everyone hated her because of SEX. But at the same time...she had this amazing album. This was when I learned that it's all about the music. Fuck the hype. I loved every song. The grower for me was TOH.

BS: Bought on the day of release late in the evening. I was trying to get to the record store before they closed. Survival hit me like a ton of bricks. After I heard Survival, I knew I would love every song after that. I did and I still do.

ROL: First M album I bought at midnight before the release date. Stood in line to buy it. I was floored. Nothing much else to say about ROL, the album speaks for itself.

00s:

Music: Again, bought at midnight before the release date. I listened with my brother. When Don't Tell Me started, he thought his CD player was broken. Ha ha ha ha! This album is such a work of art. Speaks for itself.

AL: I was living in the UK and I couldn't find a record store that would remain open till midnight. So, I planed on waking up early that morning. My then husband went out before I got up and bought it for me. Fucker broke my tradition. Oh well. M&F was a grower for me.

COADF: Bought on the day of release in the evening. Loved every song right away. I thought Let It Will Be and How High sounded a lot like Depeche Mode. I loved that!

10s:

HC: I asked my boss the morning of its release if I could leave work to walk down to Tower Records on Piccadilly to buy it. He said of course it's ok, but he wanted to burn it too. This was a great time for me to be an M fan. I was divorced and I could really relate to all the songs. I will always love this album. Madonna was there for me once again.

Too soon for me to reflect on MDNA. My Madonna timeline is valuable and very dear to me. Suffice to say, that I love MDNA but it needs more time to be cherished.

I became a fan in 2011, so my only experience is with MDNA

MDNA: I remember being so anxious to get it on release date. The album had already leaked a couple days prior to the March 26th release date. I had only heard the snippets from a preview website. I was in 12th grade and the whole day I could not wait to get out of school. So when school got out I drove down to the closest best buy and I picked up the album I remember feeling so happy when I saw the full stack of the CDs and I couldn't believe is was finally holding the record. Once I got home I carefully opened it and took out the CDs and played them loud on our home system and while the album played I was going through the booklet :)

I can't wait to do the same with Rebel Heart

A fan since True Blue album. My reaction to each album as follows:

I'm Breathless...what the fuck? But I loved Hanky Panky

Like A Prayer...not much. madonna getting too serious now and less fun ( now it's my fave album)

Erotica ...I heard songs from the album on some radio 1 special before I got the album. I heard Rain, Fever, DAD, Bad Girl, Thief of Hearts and I remember thinking "fuck these songs are amazing". I honestly thought had would have multiple number 1s from this album. But then the Sex scandal hit and the album was fucked

Bedtime Stories...this is the first time I felt an M album as a piece of art and cohesive. I lay on the bed and let the silky feel of it all numb me into a beautiful place

Evita....Loved this era as she was so loved at this time. Her voice was orgasmic on many of the tracks. Total love for her everywhere. very rare.

Ray of Light...it felt like she'd been away for a decade. Hearing Frozen for the first time at HMV and the pictures of her hippy look made me excited. Then I heard the first few bars of ROL track on radio 1 and i can't describe to you the thrill that shot through my body as the song unfolded. Like a drug hit. Then, when I finally lay on my bed some days later and started listening to the CD, there was no way I was predicting it would be as good as this. The soundscapes and her voice just washed over me like waves. Almost a religious euphoria. And that final track....wow.

Music...I remember being less than impressed by Music the song (felt too Prince-ish) but the album itself was top notch and a bit bonkers production-wise. But I must admit that I thought she'd overdone the production as it was so strong that her voice took a back seat for the most part. Impressive Instant was by far the stand out on first listen

American Life..I don't recall the first time I listened but I recall Nothing Fails put a lump in my throat it was so moving. I know I loved the album and still do and I loved her brunette look

COADF...it was all about Get Together. Dance heaven. Although now I prefer Jump. I knew she was back as every song was a stunner but I do prefer her more serious work

Hard Candy...first time I played it was on big speakers and that is the best way to play this album. I thought it was slick and funky, although I could do without Justin's influence on some of the later tracks. I didn't think some songs were Madonna-ish enough.

MDNA....again on big speakers. It was all about Gang Bang. But it was so dark I was worried that M had got too grim. Now I can see the less serious side of it. I honestly didn't think of this album as a lesser work but it definitely didn't come across as her best vocal work. So disappointed with GGW (which I now like)

Edited by Rollap

I have so loved reading these. I will add to mine that the first time I played DWRY I got shivers, because it was the Gothic side of Madonna I loved so much. I also couldn't get over Sorry the first time I ever heard it; ditto the bridge of Runaway Lover. And Nothing Fails through Mother and Father on AL was everything I had ever wanted from her. Love Spent through Beautiful Killer on MDNA was a similar treasured stretch. And going back further, Deeper and Deeper slayed me on first listen. And Oh Father: I never knew pop music could be so beautiful.

Loved reading your experiences! I became a fan in 2010, so yes, the only album I followed (apart from Rebel Heart) is MDNA. The week prior to its release my pc broke so I stayed away from any leaks. I only listened to the first 2 singles and some of the Perez hilton snippets. The release day my uncle (who is a big M fan) came home with the deluxe edition cd for me! We listened together and loved it! It was a lovely day. This time I'll probably wake up early and go buy it myself... I know it's going to be amazing too!

I love how everyone still goes and buys the albums in stores. I haven't done that since ROL.

Haha yes. I even bought both editions of MDNA because of the different covers :laugh: